As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Caedere wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    I laugh at the people who didn't read the description/look at the last pictures for those sets. Both clearly show what comes with the set.

Well, the thing is - it's easy to miss that there's a piece missing in the written description. It's obvious in retrospect, sure, but the first two pictures show the chestpiece. There's no reason to be a dick and laugh at people who made an honest mistake in buying it.

I hope they add it in for people who've purchased it. :?

They won't, because it's something you can unlock in-game via perks.

Pony on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope they add it in for people who've purchased it. :?
    Hahahhahhahah I fucking hope not. "Please unlock a costume piece you normally have to kill 5000 mobs for because i spent $2." Although, I'm not laughing at the original mistake of not realizing the chest piece wasn't for sale. That sucks.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly I wish the costume unlockables in-game were account wide.

Like, for example, the bear head.

There's a bear head in the game. You can only get it by defeating a shit-ton of Monster Island enemies.

Once you do, that bear head is unlocked for that character only. Is that character a bear man? No? Then what possible use could he have for it?

What's that, you'd like to make a bear man character to use this new head you've unlocked? Sorry, chum, the bear head was unlocked only for the level 30+ character that unlocked it. If you want to make a bear man, you're going to have to use some kind of made-up approximation of a bear head or pretend he has a bear head until you get to level 30 and grind out that bear head unlock.

I don't resent the idea of having difficult costume unlocks, but since most of them are unlocked by huge amounts of grinding and generally speaking are at the higher end of the game's levels, I think it's fair to ask that those unlocks, once done, are for that account instead of that character.

Pony on
    edited October 2009
    signed

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've said it several times, but anything GENETIC should be available at the start of the game.

Enhanced versions of things are one thing, but basic animal species, alien species, etc, should always be available at level 1.

Anything that could be rationalized as an upgrade, I don't care.

Incenjucar on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While it would be nice if the 5,000 kills unlocked account wide, what about an idea for an account wide perk thats like 20,000 over all characters, or a final step in the perk line thats like 10,000 to make the costume piece open account wide?

Though at that point it does get absurd.

KurnDerak on
    edited October 2009
    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For how much effort it takes, some of them really aren't worth it. A crooked cowboy hat, so that your cowboy hat can tilt... 10 degrees at most? Wooow...

KurnDerak on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    I laugh at the people who didn't read the description/look at the last pictures for those sets. Both clearly show what comes with the set.
    Well, the thing is - it's easy to miss that there's a piece missing in the written description. It's obvious in retrospect, sure, but the first two pictures show the chestpiece. There's no reason to be a dick and laugh at people who made an honest mistake in buying it.
    I just assumed the chest piece was a standard one available in the costume editor by default I never noticed. The fact that it has to be unlocked is a bit :?.

Glal on
  • wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On the C-Store. I like what they offered, I think the outfits look cool and the account stuff is prices fairly. I understand people wanting Retcons to be cheaper, but it is something given away free, can be bought using in game currency and appears possibly earned. If Retcons were a dollar, FoTM would be a pain and casuals would hate PvP.

As for the actual outfits, etc... I was sorta hoping you could either A) buy it on the C-Store or B) earn it in game. It appears most if not all of this the outfits require that you purchase them on the C-Store (for those who don't play CO, you can earn a lot of outfits in the game with perk points, gear drops, PvP items, etc...)

However, I was hoping that is what the C-store would be. I am making this up as an example -- Say you want that Special Helmet that requires you to kill 20,000 Viper badguys -- go either Kill 20,000 Viper badguys or go to the C-Store and pay 3 dollars and get the Special Helmet outfit. In WoW (sorry to bring up WoW), but there are flying mounts, some were kinda cool, but I knew I would NEVER be able to get them because they require you complete all of the achievements that are related to in game theme events (like V-Day, Halloween, etc...), so you miss an event you don't get the achievement and can't earn the mount. At the time I wish WoW had a MT store that would sell those mounts that players could buy because they simply lacked the time to get the achievements, didn't lack the skill, just the time.

New Slashcry Podcast: www.slashcry.com

wolfgangpg on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    -Archery in an attempt to make a good playable archery character
    Does not exist. Those who say it does have never used any other ranged power sets.

GungHo on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    -Archery in an attempt to make a good playable archery character
    Does not exist. Those who say it does have never used any other ranged power sets.

You can make a playable PvE character, especially if you dip into a couple of other pools (Gadgeteering in particular), but you will be far from optimal. My Archery/Gadgeteering dude (who is like Batman if Batman was an elf who used a bow and gadgets) is fun and all, but he doesn't kill as fast as anything else I've played that's devoted to damage. The way Archery is built, it's meant to be an energy saving ranged set I think, given how Quarry works. But it ends up saving too much energy for not enough damage, etc. etc.

Right now, Ice is far from optimal for PvE - too much setup, not enough payoff, and no good holds at all. The roots are passable, but are far from instant cast.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited October 2009
    Ok. I take it back. You could play Archery if you took Sonic Arrow and Quarry and then added in Chaingun, Chainsaw, Regen, Unstoppable, Shotgun, Haymaker, Fireball, Gigabolt.

GungHo on
    edited October 2009
    Fine. I'm doing it. I'm making this happen. I will show you ALL (that archery sucks).

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking more like Strafe w/advantage, one AoE arrow power, Tazer Arrow, the dodge/aggrodump power (Evasive Action?), Sonic Device or Toxic Nanites, medical drone thingers, mini-mines... Then you do your damage with arrows, but have a bunch of other powers to help out that don't involve busting out rocketlaunchers and miniguns.

And like I said, it'd be a playable PvE character, but you would not be an efficient PvE character. There are optimal builds out there with no thoughts for theme that churn out craploads of damage. I was pointing out that you can play a character with an archery feel and do okay, but you're not going to be great.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited October 2009
    sonic and toxic aren't good becuase you spend time putting away your bow and bringing it back out. i need to see if you spend time putting away your bow for bountiful chi resurgence and force explosion. one for healing, one for damage buff.

also, you don't have to charge skills. I'm probably going to tap away for most stuff.

also, i have 2 40's and 1 31, so i think it's time for a gimp

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    Are you talking about stopping your energy builder so that the big AoE attack gets the Device/Nanites damage buff, or does the animation put your bow away anyhow? Sonic Device didn't seem to have an animation at all when I was using it, but when I found that it didn't work with Sonic Arrow (the best damage power in the set I felt) with the AoE advantage, I went with the cone AoE. It really needs a decent non-charge AoE though, tapping the AoE powers (especially the ones with cooldowns) doesn't seem worth it.

Archery needs work.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    The Kinetic Dart nerf bothers me greatly and means I'll probably just delete the level 20 toon I have it on and start over with the fire energy builder. It'll cost me roughly three times the amount of resources I have to spec out of it (probably more, when I saw the list of 1g skills to remove I just sighed and closed the powerhouse window).

The Death Arc nerf I can't place without knowing how much HP enemies typically have. I can't imagine it'll be able to compete with Rank 3 being situational.

The fact that shadow form stacked with incisive wit (which was quite a bit better than ego form) was silly and broken in the first place. I mean I understand the temptation to take advantage of things like that, but honestly didn't you expect incisive wit to catch a nerf of some sort?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    The fact that shadow form stacked with incisive wit (which was quite a bit better than ego form) was silly and broken in the first place. I mean I understand the temptation to take advantage of things like that, but honestly didn't you expect incisive wit to catch a nerf of some sort?

I was hoping that the fix would have been to make Ego Form more worth taking compared to Shadow Form, even with Incisive Wit, rather than making Incisive Wit much less useful.

Especially since Incisive Wit is hardly what's making certain Ego builds define "ridiculous outlier" when it comes to damage output.

Lawndart on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Honestly I wish the costume unlockables in-game were account wide.

Dev post on the official CO forum about this:
    We're currently looking into tech that would allow us to do this. The way unlocks work for a character versus for an account are very different on the backend, so it requires a lot more work than you'd expect. But this is something we'd like to do in the future.

Just don't expect it anytime soon
    :
    Yeah, I know everyone's been asking about it for a while. I just found out that we've been looking into it yesterday, so I apologize for not talking about it sooner. Like I said, it's a very difficult feature to add, but we know it's something all of you have been asking for.

If we end up doing this, though, some will still intentionally not be made account-wide. The PvP costume pieces, for example, are most likely staying as character-only unlocks, since they're big "I earned this!" rewards appropriate for a single character. Though, as I explained, this is all very hypothetical and a little ways off.

Lawndart on
    edited October 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Are you talking about stopping your energy builder so that the big AoE attack gets the Device/Nanites damage buff, or does the animation put your bow away anyhow? Sonic Device didn't seem to have an animation at all when I was using it, but when I found that it didn't work with Sonic Arrow (the best damage power in the set I felt) with the AoE advantage, I went with the cone AoE. It really needs a decent non-charge AoE though, tapping the AoE powers (especially the ones with cooldowns) doesn't seem worth it.

Archery needs work.
    if you're spamming sonic arrow or something, then try to tap sonic device, it won't work. you have to wait until the bow is put away then you can press sonic device. something like that. after i stopped using this type of character, i noticed that some moves queue now, so if i press some button, i only press it once, know it will activate as soon as it's able to. maybe this was implemented later to fix my type of issue. or again, i would tap sonic device, the bow would start being put away, but I would think it wasn't working and press something else, thus replacing sonic device in the queue. or something.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Is there a reason this was dropped in price already? Seems rather quick. How's the player base holding up?

$10 drop isn't a big deal for a PC game. They probably figure they got their money from all of the early adopters and now they can snatch the people who are sitting on the fence. Just speculating, I have no idea how well it did/did not sell other than it sold out locally here in at least two stores at launch.

Accualt on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pika, if you care about tweaking dps to the utmost, you're already in the wrong set. :P If you don't you can just press SD while moving since you have to stand still to fire arrows anyway iirc.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question: Is munitions as bad as everyone ingame seems to think? I've seen like no one with it, and I have a character concept that I really want to use munitions with.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
    edited October 2009
    Riale wrote: »
    Question: Is munitions as bad as everyone ingame seems to think? I've seen like no one with it, and I have a character concept that I really want to use munitions with.

Munitions is one of the stronger physical damage sets and has the advantage of being at range. Scaling issues prevent it from catching up to the elemental builds, but you can certainly go through all the content with it.

Tag on
  • hallowxhallowx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Was hoping someone could help me out with a solo/tanking build. This is what I've got so far, designed largely so when an overpull happens I can pretty much hide behind my shield and only occasionally throw out Sparkstorm and/or Ego Sprites to try and keep what aggro I can.

The character is a robot so if possible I'd like to keep the innate technological lean in the build. (Sparkstorm seems forgivable and I'm just ignoring that Ego Sprites doesn't fit in I guess.)
    Build by championBuilder 0.4.1

Download this Build here.

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Constitution
    Level 13: Super Strength

Powers:
    Level 1: Wrist Bolter -- Automated Assault
    Level 1: Laser Sword -- Particle Acceleration, Rank 2
    Level 5: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2
    Level 5: Jet Boots
    Level 8: Invulnerability -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 11: Mini Gun -- Teflon Coated Rounds, Rank 2, Challenging Strikes
    Level 14: Defensive Combo -- Surge Of Strength
    Level 17: Unbreakable
    Level 20: Sparkstorm -- Electric Personality, Rank 2, Challenging Strikes
    Level 23: Bionic Shielding
    Level 26: Mindful Reinforcement -- Revitalizing Boost, Rank 2
    Level 29: Ego Sprites -- Slave Mentality, Challenging Strikes
    Level 32: Mighty Leap
    Level 35: Smoke Grenade
    Level 35: Teleport
    Level 38: Field Drones

Talents:
    Level 1: Mechanized
    Level 6: Mighty
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Body And Mind
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

Any DPS or mitigation that could be squeezed out of this build would be helpful.

hallowx on
    edited October 2009
    Force Bolts or Strafe are the two tanking energy builders. Can't think much. But Force Bolts adv proc a tiny shield (like 100hp shield), and strafe procs a really high dodge/avoidance buff.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    Well with his build a melee eb might actually be superior due to laser knight (they also offer vastly more energy return than force and strafe, and a damage buff). Whether laser knight is the best choice is, of course, a different issue.

Without changing the build too much thematically;
    Swap Bionic Shielding with Bountiful Chi Resurgence (the animation is pretty subtle, shouldn't break theme)
    Swap Sprites with Ego Storm (just make it an electric color and think of it like a thunder storm). It toggle with spark storm and while the energy requirements are pretty high, if you've got a force shield linger or a martial arts energy builder you can keep both going pretty much as long as you want.
    You could swap Jet Boots with Swing for the dodge buff, or super jump for the kb resistance (haven't tested that one much though).
    Haven't tested defensive combo much since its nerf, but if its capped at 1 it may not be worthwhile.
    Masterful Dodge is generally considered better than unbreakable but that's your choice too.

So, eh, something like this maybe:

Superstats:

Powers:
    Level 1: Reaper's Touch -- Three Edged Blade
    Level 1: Scything Blade -- Swallowtail Cut
    Level 5: Thunderbolt Lunge
    Level 5: Swinging -- Flippin'
    Level 11: Laser Sword -- Particle Acceleration, Crippling Challenge
    Level 14: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2
    Level 17: Sparkstorm -- Electric Personality
    Level 20: Bountiful Chi Resurgence -- Resurgent Reiki
    Level 23: Unbreakable
    Level 26: Mindful Reinforcement -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 29: Ego Storm -- Malevolent Manifestation
    Level 32: Smoke Grenade
    Level 35: Chest Beam
    Level 38: Field Drones

Talents:

Gives you 5 more adv points to play with. I just sort of threw it together, it really depends on how much you're willing to bend your build.

Tag on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tag wrote: »
    Swap Sprites with Ego Storm (just make it an electric color and think of it like a thunder storm). It toggle with spark storm and while the energy requirements are pretty high, if you've got a force shield linger or a martial arts energy builder you can keep both going pretty much as long as you want.
    Or, until Ego Storm goes on its 15s cooldown.

Glal on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Munitions is one of the stronger physical damage sets and has the advantage of being at range. Scaling issues prevent it from catching up to the elemental builds, but you can certainly go through all the content with it.

Speaking of range vs melee, how horrific is it to be melee? I hear all these stories of high level mobs that hold you and run and never take a melee energy builder and on and on. Coming from CoX where I played mostly Scrappers/Brutes (and heck, every other MMO where I play melee) Champion's emphasis on ranged is starting to bug me.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Speaking of range vs melee, how horrific is it to be melee? I hear all these stories of high level mobs that hold you and run and never take a melee energy builder and on and on. Coming from CoX where I played mostly Scrappers/Brutes (and heck, every other MMO where I play melee) Champion's emphasis on ranged is starting to bug me.

I cant say that I have experienced this happening through 35 levels on my melee guy. And for mobs that do try to back off from time to time, you have plenty of options to snare/root/hold/knock down/drag in etc

pantsy on
    edited October 2009
    eh. fine in pve. if you have issues, pick up smoke grenade. that should make enemies run to you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    Kay wrote: »

Archery needs work.
    if you're spamming sonic arrow or something, then try to tap sonic device, it won't work. you have to wait until the bow is put away then you can press sonic device. something like that. after i stopped using this type of character, i noticed that some moves queue now, so if i press some button, i only press it once, know it will activate as soon as it's able to. maybe this was implemented later to fix my type of issue. or again, i would tap sonic device, the bow would start being put away, but I would think it wasn't working and press something else, thus replacing sonic device in the queue. or something.

That's not what I was doing. I'd build energy, stop my energy builder, and use Sonic Device. I'd then tap or charge Sonic Arrow (with the AoE advantage), and the only damage I would get would be from Sonic Arrow. If I tried the same thing with Tazer Arrow, Strafe, or the cone AoE I can't remember the name of (either tap or charge), the Sonic Device damage and stun would occur. I was checking the logs. If I used Sonic Arrow without the advantage, the extra damage (and stun, I assume) proced normally. It only fubars with Sonic Arrow + AoE advantage. I was playing around with this a lot, and ended up getting the cone AoE instead of Sonic Arrow, even though Sonic Arrow is waaaay better.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited October 2009
    yeah i think they purposefully stopped that. but in closed beta, sonic device + sonic arrow + advantage on both was my main attack.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I made a French friend in the tutorial today while I was running a concept character through. Unfortunately he thinks I can speak French because when he first sent a tell to me I responded with "I do not know" (probably the only phrase I really remember) in French. Then he started sending me complex paragraphs of information in French, that I only understood a few words and phrases from.

Now I feel kind of bad because he added me to his friend's list, but I just sort of nod along, responding with simple answers to what I think he's saying.

Still playing with people all over the world is one of my favorite parts of MMOs.

Invisible on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I ran into a german speaker sometime near after launch, but I didn't know it till we finished some mission (I think it was sinisister?) and he said tschus (informal German version of good bye) and I responded with auf wiedersehen. But having not studied German for about 8 years now, I really don't remember much. He then responds back in all german, but I was logging out just as I got his message. I almost stopped, but I was tired and really didn't want to try and tax my brain with trying to read German, so I just logged. Felt kinda bad afterward.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • hallowxhallowx Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unfortunately I think I need the wrist bolters for flavorific purposes. Same with Laser Sword so I could actually take some of the tanking focus off of LS/Laser Knight, but here's what I've come up with.

Yes, it has two blocks.

/bind x "PowerSlots_SetCurrent 1 $$ PowerTrayExec 1 16"
    Makes it so (when tapped twice) it should pull up Force Shield and leave it on.

/bind x "PowerSlots_SetCurrent 2 $$ PowerTrayExec 1 3"
    Should swap the tray set to the one from build 2 where Energy Shield lives and will also (I think) trigger my Laser Sword.

But mostly I'll be using Sparkstorm and Sprites for serious AOE tanking since with either one I can have a shield up most of the time and still keep aggro about as well as any other tank out there.

My mitigation and avoidance could probably be buffed but I'll actually be leveling with this build so it has to be somewhat liveable till then.

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Constitution
    Level 13: Super Strength

Powers:
    Level 1: Wrist Bolter -- Automated Assault
    Level 1: Laser Sword -- Particle Acceleration, Rank 2
    Level 5: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight, Rank 2
    Level 5: Jet Boots
    Level 11: Mini Gun -- Teflon Coated Rounds, Rank 2, Challenging Strikes
    Level 14: Mighty Leap
    Level 17: Sparkstorm -- Electric Personality, Challenging Strikes, Rank 2
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence -- Resurgent Reiki
    Level 26: Mindful Reinforcement -- Revitalizing Boost, Rank 2
    Level 29: Ego Sprites -- Slave Mentality, Challenging Strikes
    Level 32: Field Drones
    Level 35: Smoke Grenade
    Level 38: Force Shield -- Force Sheath

Talents:
    Level 1: Mechanized
    Level 6: Mighty
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Body And Mind
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

hallowx on
    edited October 2009
    meh i don't like the passive/block swaping techniques. doesn't work right for me. powers resetting at map change. hope it works for you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    Made my new archer: Standstill
    Shortly after the start of the mmost recent Qularr invasion, a news reporter caught footage of a new hero racing to the scene.

Reporter: "Miss! What's your name?!"

The new hero ran past, chasing a Qularr drone.

Hero: "Stand still, dammit!"

And thus, Standstill was born. Standstill Dammit.

And yeah, archery looks like crap. but I'm gonna try out explosive arrow and see how it turns out.

basically the adv does some damage after a few seconds, pop it on someone in pvp before they run away and poof they dead

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited October 2009
    After putting in the chains powers into my Might character, I'm convinced that there's no way I could do a martial arts or sword guy without making it a Snake-Eyes build.

GungHo on
This discussion has been closed.