As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Solicitations for January 2010

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Who is this Cebulski character and why does he attract so much ire?

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He is awful and has ruined all of the minis that I had been looking forward to.

He crapped all over The Loners (formerly Excelsior, from Runaways), he ruined Nico Minoru's Mystic Arcana one shot. Horribly.

They just won't stop him. They just won't. :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    C.B. Cebulski, while being a competent talent scout, is not a very good writer.

He wrote the fairly recent story X-Infernus, which was terrible, and he also wrote Loners which I don't think I've read but I see quite a bit of complaining about (From Robos, I think?). Oh, yeah, and that Mystic Arcana Nico thing. Yuck.

Also, if Google is tellin' the truth, he looks like this.
    cat.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CB Cebulski is the Marvel talent scout who used to work for some manga company in Japan as a US rep, who has found artists for Marvel like the guy currently pencilling Ms Marvel and that one artist who was like Rob Haynes over on She-Hulk. He's good at finding talent in artists, but not good at writing, he has a tendency to make everything broody and moody and make characters unlikeable.

He also spams twitter constantly.

And yes, that is Cebulski in the photo Faynor posted. He also got his picture taken with Paris Hilton, woweeeeeee.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    xinfernus26.jpg

Yeaaah.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    xinfernus26.jpg

Yeaaah.
    "My character page said that I was perky and occasionally hyperactive that means I just never use punctuation marks except sometimes I use exclamation marks because that means I'm exclaiming which is okay for hyper characters to do!"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, fun with adverbs!
    blz03.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That reminds me of Tom Lehrer's LY song.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm unclear - should I want to murder Cebulski or his editors who let that see print?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kill them all, let God sort it out.

Unforgivingly.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MS. MARVEL #49
    Written by BRIAN REED
    Pencils & Cover by SANA TAKEDA
    Ms. Marvel vs...Captain Marvel? What is behind the latest shocking twist in the life of Carol Danvers? It all leads to next month's huge 50th issue!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99
    msmarv49.jpg

I am cautiously optimistic about being cautiously optimistic.

Why... Why...

God Damn It!

Remember that conversation we had like a month ago when I stopped posting regularly? The one about reviving characters. This gimmickry non-event is the kind of shit that really burns me and pisses me off about trying to do it for real.

Oh, and I for one am hugely conflicted that this run is hitting 50 issues, but considering her first run ended around thirty years ago and right now is currently one of only two female supers with an ongoing title in the Marvel U (including imprints one of three, the others being Spider-Woman and Anita Blake) I just wish it was better.
    14_BLACK_WIDOW___THE_MARVEL_GIRLS_3.jpg

What is the deal with pitting people against Ms. Marvel who in no way can win lately? First Mystique, now Black Widow? God damn it, she can't be shot and has super strength!

Mystique is Carol's only real surviving nemesis. They fought in the earliest issues and Mystique came back again and again throughout her first series (and they fought when Carol became aI supporting member in Uncanny because Claremont was awesome like that). Their enmity is the direct cause of Rogue attacking her and almost killing/taking away her powers, and they've basically been intractable enemies for over three decades. As for Black Widow, it's because Black Widow is fucking awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Where have you been Crimson?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MS. MARVEL #49
    Written by BRIAN REED
    Pencils & Cover by SANA TAKEDA
    Ms. Marvel vs...Captain Marvel? What is behind the latest shocking twist in the life of Carol Danvers? It all leads to next month's huge 50th issue!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99
    msmarv49.jpg

I am cautiously optimistic about being cautiously optimistic.

Why... Why...

God Damn It!

Remember that conversation we had like a month ago when I stopped posting regularly? The one about reviving characters. This gimmickry non-event is the kind of shit that really burns me and pisses me off about trying to do it for real.

Oh, and I for one am hugely conflicted that this run is hitting 50 issues, but considering her first run ended around thirty years ago and right now is currently one of only two female supers with an ongoing title in the Marvel U (including imprints one of three, the others being Spider-Woman and Anita Blake) I just wish it was better.

I do remember the conversation, yes. I was mostly kidding regardless. If they bring Captain Marvel back, it shouldn't be in Ms. Marvel 49. If they're going to resurrect him, it should at least be big. It'll probably just be another dumb bait and switch, regardless.
    14_BLACK_WIDOW___THE_MARVEL_GIRLS_3.jpg

What is the deal with pitting people against Ms. Marvel who in no way can win lately? First Mystique, now Black Widow? God damn it, she can't be shot and has super strength!

Mystique is Carol's only real surviving nemesis. They fought in the earliest issues and Mystique came back again and again throughout her first series (and they fought when Carol became aI supporting member in Uncanny because Claremont was awesome like that). Their enmity is the direct cause of Rogue attacking her and almost killing/taking away her powers, and they've basically been intractable enemies for over three decades. As for Black Widow, it's because Black Widow is fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good point, I kind of forgot their history somehow. Still doesn't take away from the fact that she really shouldn't have a chance, though!

Faynor on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There were two Mysterio's after the first one killed himself that could have been used instead. It annoys me more as a DD fan than anything else.

As a DD fan I'm completely fine with it. That was one of the worst parts of Smith's run.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If you were going to kill someone as integral to Matt's life, the person who orchestrated it needed to be offed too (even if he had cancer, in Marvel time that's like 15 years).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But having it be Mysterio at all was downright retarded.

I guess I really didn't like that story.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I agree it comes out of nowhere, but no matter who it was needed to pay. Even if it was Gladiator or Mr. Fear (who would have worked well actually)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, so many x-books, so much increased visa debt!

The S.W.O.R.D. cover is pretty sweet, and I'm not a Lockheed fan. Though X-babies beats it by a razor thin margin [cause really, they are adorable!]

My trade mark girlish squeel over anything with Nate Grey in it *Girlish squeel of joy*

And the cover of X-Force: Isn't Banshee dead?

Cable: Hurry up and bring on the Hope already! The whole "Whoops! Missed the time period we wanted by a few hundred years meh meh meh" plot is gag worthy in it's lack of originality/creativeness.

And I won't bore you further by commenting on the other... oh 3 books so far? God knows that will increase after visiting the ol lcs.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    89_spider_man_magazine_9.jpg

Lincoln does not play around.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Emancipation Proclamtion for dat azz!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The fuck?!

Why is Marvel bringing back (in regards to Dark Xmen #3 Solicits)
    Nate Grey? And furthermore, while I like the guy and am ok with him coming back, what is with Marvel resurrecting the 90s? The Clone Saga mini and this (as well as other things I'm likely missing). Also, curious how they bring him back, didn't his body disintegrate or somesuch?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    The fuck?!

Nate Grey? And furthermore, while I like the guy and am ok with him coming back, what is with Marvel resurrecting the 90s? The Clone Saga mini and this (as well as other things I'm likely missing). Also, curious how they bring him back, didn't his body disintegrate or somesuch?

According to wiki, the circumstances of his death had the possibility of a return built in.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MastaP wrote: »
    There were two Mysterio's after the first one killed himself that could have been used instead. It annoys me more as a DD fan than anything else.

As a DD fan I'm completely fine with it. That was one of the worst parts of Smith's run.

I think Mysterio is one of the few characters for whom the whole "didn't he die, so who is this?" gags actually works. The whole point of Mysterio is that he is constantly messing with your perception of reality, so making you think he had died or making you think he was someone else is totally in character for him. Plus, if he really was killed, it makes sense for another person who adopts the guise of Mysterio to play off of that.

And, if you read the (fairly bad) Sensational Spider-man (or Peter Parker: Spider-man) series just prior to BND, there was a plot in which three different Mysterios were messing around Spider-man's school.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And one of them was an undead Beck

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And one of them was an undead Beck

Or someone pretending to be an undead Beck. Like I said, I think Mysterio is one of the few characters for which this gag works well.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Oh, damn it, I didn't notice that.

That...well, it kind of sucks. Because PAD already said he wasn't crossing X-Force over with Necrosha, so I doubt a Siryn-Banshee reunion/fight will get as much screen time as it should.

Faynor on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The fuck?!

He's a really popular character, just like the rest of the 90's properties that are being resurrected. There is a lot of nostalgia for that time period by people that were kids/teens during that time and are now the major demographic for comics. And he didn't really die, he just kind of spread himself out across the population. It was a weird, but good, story during the Ellis Revolution book that really screwed up several X books.

Hensler on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh, damn it, I didn't notice that.

That...well, it kind of sucks. Because PAD already said he wasn't crossing X-Force over with Necrosha, so I doubt a Siryn-Banshee reunion/fight will get as much screen time as it should.
    X-Factor. PAD writes X-Factor. SEE WHAT YOU'VE STARTED SERVO

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    curse you, servo

Faynor on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, Peter David would write a great X-Force, too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Where have you been Crimson?

Busy with other stuff and lost interest in comics and the site. By the time I realized I hadn't visited, a few weeks had passed. And then a few more passed when I came back after that. And so on. I came here for this thread actually this week because my brain had registered that this week was when the January solicits would come out and I couldn't help myself from checking even though I'd decided that it's no fun knowing what's coming down the line. Oops.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thank god the 90's are back. Now maybe we can get some semi-decent X-books again. And maybe they won't treat Gambit like a scapegoat.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thank god the 90's are back. Now maybe we can get some semi-decent X-books again. And maybe they won't treat Gambit like a scapegoat.

You're probably the only person around here that will say that.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited October 2009

First Spider-man (e.g. Kaine and Ben Reily), and now the X-men are going all 90's nostalgic. What's next? The post-Siege Avengers line-up is at least going to be semi-nostalgic (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, possibly Hawkeye and Ant-man).

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I've been liking the X books (aside from Land art) for a while now. Am I the only one? I read Factor, Uncanny, Legacy, and Force and find all of them to be pretty enjoyable.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Legacy is always fun.

Uncanny would benefit greatly from someone other than Land, like Paquette or Scot Eaton (Eaton would be a really good choice, actually).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man, I've been liking the X books (aside from Land art) for a while now. Am I the only one? I read Factor, Uncanny, Legacy, and Force and find all of them to be pretty enjoyable.

I'm fairly new to Marvel books, but I really dig X Force, Uncanny and Legacy. (It helps that I have total girl-crushes on X-23 and Rogue, I guess.)

But I don't really read X-Factor. All that future stuff can go right ahead and fuck off, as far as I'm concerned.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But that was only a subplot, and it's sooooo gooooood

And that subplot is done now! Next issue in December is a new status quo! Great time to start reading it! :rotate:

Faynor on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

And that subplot is done now! Next issue in December is a new status quo! Great time to start reading it! :rotate:

Oh awesome. I'll have to check out the next issue, then.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kiwi wrote: »

Oh awesome. I'll have to check out the next issue, then.

Well subplot as in it's been about it for the last 8 issues or so.

Fencingsax on