As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon

• apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    I Just had my phone unexpectedly shut off. I don't like the phone call thing and I don't like how we don't have the option to be in the omegathon or not. An email would be nice instead, i mean a whole month away. If your not checking your email once a week... well, whatever...

If tycho wants to call people who don't want to be in it and waste his precious time thats his perogative.

The phone is the easiest and most reliable way to get in contact with people, with instant response time.

Maybe less money on PAX and more money on the phone bill would have been a better idea.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Hey Erik and JoshEEE, this is #17, the Pong runner-up that fought you each 1 on 1 (Kevin Potter). You both coming to PAX this year I assume?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    I Just had my phone unexpectedly shut off. I don't like the phone call thing and I don't like how we don't have the option to be in the omegathon or not. An email would be nice instead, i mean a whole month away. If your not checking your email once a week... well, whatever...

If tycho wants to call people who don't want to be in it and waste his precious time thats his perogative.

The phone is the easiest and most reliable way to get in contact with people, with instant response time.

Maybe less money on PAX and more money on the phone bill would have been a better idea.

I really shouldn't complain. I don't know where i would store 700+nes games and what I would do about taxes on them. It should be a fun competition to watch.

Viscountalpha on
  • GaminGamin Brockport, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I don't see how they can tax the prize...

Each game and accessory has already been taxed once. They are used goods.

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Used goods ARE taxable in Canada... however, Prize winnings are not.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Been lurking the PA forums for a while now, but have only now joined up. I found out last week that I'm an Omeganaut, and that seemed as good a reason as any to start posting. Bragging and all that. So here I go: brag, brag, brag. I bet you're all kinds of jealous of now. I can tell.

Poorochondriac on
  • LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Been lurking the PA forums for a while now, but have only now joined up. I found out last week that I'm an Omeganaut, and that seemed as good a reason as any to start posting. Bragging and all that. So here I go: brag, brag, brag. I bet you're all kinds of jealous of now. I can tell.

Congrats man!

by the way, I plan to covertly murder you and take your identity.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    apotheos wrote:

Hey, I just had my phone die a week ago, and I've been paying the bills. We've got phone line saboteurs running around up here, cutting lines because of the telecommunications strike. Bad juju. Maybe somethng similar is going on in Oregon.

Speaking of which, if I missed an Omega-call because of that particular juju, I'm going to be just slightly irate. :evil:

de4dmeta1 on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited August 2005
    Have all the Omeganauts been called and confirmed, by now?

Whippy on
    edited August 2005

I'm in too...

So now its time to size up the competition...

Are you any good? =P

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I bet you're all kinds of GETTING ELIMINATED THE FIRST ROUND. :x

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2005
    Have all the Omeganauts been called and confirmed, by now?

Yes. Sorry to all of those that did not get chosen. We'll be announcing all of the games (except the secret last game) and Omeganauts this week.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited August 2005
    PaleZer0 wrote:

I'm in too...

So now its time to size up the competition...

Are you any good? =P

My favorite games are all RPGs. However, I am ridiculously goodlooking. So it balances out to "okay".

Poorochondriac on
  • RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    JoshEEE wrote:
    it's kind of hard to book airline tickets without knowing. I guess if I get picked, I'll just miss the last event

Oh don't do that.

Even though I didn't make it to the finals (lousy 2nd place tiebreaking match).....I still had to see how it came out between the two guys who had beaten me.

IF You're selected as an Omeganaut and IF You make it through the first few rounds....you'll want to be there until the end.

Trust me. :D

BTW....I'm still hoping to make it back in this year. See if my luck holds up for a second time.

Hey josh, omeganaut 3 here (lost to sean in DDR), and everything you said is true. Also, here is to hoping you get picked again. I know i got picked again (WooT) and im looking forward to it.

PS. I will warn everyone that should i make it to round four, well, um, I win. Vocal music major who owns the game. Nuff said

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
    edited August 2005
    Wait, so whats the deal with diceland? I have no idea how the hell to play, nor do i think i can order it and get it shipped in time for me to learn...

Any insights onto what the game actually entails? Can i learn it on the spot and have any hope of succeeding?

As for the other games, I'm fine. (Except for being crazy worried about Karaoke revolution)

I wish smash bros. was on there.

Edit:
    If I were to order a diceland set, which set would be good to prepare myself?

Gamin on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I'm definitely coming. I was thinking about wearing my old badge, maybe with “former” or “veteran” above it.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    PS. I will warn everyone that should i make it to round four, well, um, I win. Vocal music major who owns the game. Nuff said

I'll just have to take you out early in the Mario Kart round then. ;)

Gamin on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    wait so whats the deal with same people who played last year getting to play this year, that cant just be coincidence is it?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Hmmm...that certainly doesn't seem right at all.

QuizMaster on
    edited August 2005
    i mean, it appears as if 1, maybe even 2 people who got to do it last year get to do it this year too, they had their shot last year...

Element Brian on

Arch,
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, you guys are making me nervous. So stop it.

I think it will be exciting and fun, and I think if I make it to round 4 that will require crazy amounts of alcohol. Crazy. I was in voice lessons for like 8 years, but I don't know if I can handle performing anything by Wham before a live audience.

I'm also mainly into RPG's, so when the games were posted I was like, "Okay, I know Quake is like an FPS, so does that mean it's like Duck Hunt?" I'm probably going to get pwned, hardcore, but whatever. Good luck to the rest of you.

Unknown User on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    i mean, it appears as if 1, maybe even 2 people who got to do it last year get to do it this year too, they had their shot last year...

Random Pickings are just that...Random.

I don't think there is a clause saying that if you were in the OT once that you can't be in it again or something...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited August 2005
    I swung by the local tabletop store to pick up Diceland, and got what the clerk assured me was the basic set "Deep White Sea." Is that what we'll be playing with, or will it be a different set?

I also picked up a copy of Karaoke Revolution. I am going to get raaaaaaaped. The only song I can even pass is Beat It, and that's in a "just barely" sort of way. I was praying that it would judge primarily on timing and hitting the lyrics (in which case I'd be set), but this whole "have to hit the notes too" thing is gonna kick my ass. I'm always flat. Stupid vocal chords.

I attempted to find a copy of Quake (I'm assuming we'll play the original - correct me if I'm wrong), but didn't have much luck. Looks like I may have to acquire it more nefariously.

I already have Double Dash and Katamari Damacy, so I'm not too worried about either of those.

Gotta say - very nice selection of games. A wide variety, and a true test of assundried skills. Even if I go out right away, looks like something that's gonna be a lot of fun to take part in.

Poorochondriac on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Is the song 'Someday', the one that is done by Flipside?

Highfire on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    A quick google search tells me it's by Nickelback, but I could be wrong.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Matt Foster!

This is so tight, I'm in the omegathon again this year, too! Time to go buy karaoke revolution and play for hours each day. Maybe we'll have an epic, dramatic singing duel! I'm just happy round 5 isn't another shooting game... Doom seriously frazzled my nerves.

We should get as many veteran 'naughts together as we can for a reminiscent lunch.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    kedinik wrote:
    Matt Foster!

This is so tight, I'm in the omegathon again this year, too! Time to go buy karaoke revolution and play for hours each day. Maybe we'll have an epic, dramatic singing duel! I'm just happy round 5 isn't another shooting game... Doom seriously frazzled my nerves.

We should get as many veteran 'naughts together as we can for a reminiscent lunch.

So is that three repeat Omeganauts? Someone who knows how many pre-registrants there were run the numbers on the odds of that happening. Conspiracy!

edit: Hey, waitaminit... I know what happened... you guys got a bunch of people turning you down, got sick of calling people and then thought, "Hmm... who do we know would definitely compete in an Omegathon?"

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    i think it's kind unfair for people who did it last year to be able to compete again, but then again i don't really care since i have no desire to do the omegathon anyways

the only thing i would do with a prize like that is sell it on ebay, and i have a feeling that would be considered rude

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited August 2005
    I think it would only be rude if in the item's description you put something like: "This is a bunch of stupid games I got at some stupid thing run by some stupid people that smell bad. Poop."

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited August 2005
    well they spent like $8000 on the thing so that the winner of the contest could enjoy the games, not just turn around and make themselves $8000

Borfase on
    edited August 2005
    Oh I'm not saying I'd sell them. I'd be all like Master Blaster up in this piece.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2005
    To answer the questions regarding the "Repeat" Omeganauts, Kevin Potter was chosen deliberately as we thought having the Runner-Up participate in the following year would be a cool tradition.

As far as Matt Foster goes- he was randomly selected, just like everyone else.

No other previous Omeganauts are in.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited August 2005
    yaaaaaaaay robert khoo yaaaaaaaaay

Borfase on
  • RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    To answer the questions regarding the "Repeat" Omeganauts, Kevin Potter was chosen deliberately as we thought having the Runner-Up participate in the following year would be a cool tradition.

As far as Matt Foster goes- he was randomly selected, just like everyone else.

No other previous Omeganauts are in.

Holy hotness. /random 100 for omeganaut placement ftw!

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    In that case.....go Matt Foster! This year is yours, man.

QuizMaster on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Monkeybomb wrote:
    Oh I'm not saying I'd sell them. I'd be all like Master Blaster up in this piece.

Oh HELL YES!

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2005
    For the Karaoke Revolution, do we get to pick what song we want to do or is it going to be a random song from those four?

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    oh, OH i see, well in that case, i still wish i was in because i would tear it up in kareoke revolution

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • PlasticbagmanPlasticbagman Registered User new member
    edited August 2005
    I think the Final round would be Lumines, or Tetris. what do you guys think?

Plasticbagman on
    I cut Nipples and squirt lemons on them!

"Gugupitin ko utong mo at papatakan ko ng kalamansi"
    edited August 2005
    I'm thinking it won't be lumines cause they will want it on a big screen. I'm kind of expecting a classic NES title of some sort.

Also, it would be cool if it was an unreleased game.... Something that MS or even better, Nintendo would put up for us.

Then I could live my Jimmy Woods fantasy. =P

Gamin on