As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hooking PC Speakers up to my TV?

CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
Since my TV has some pretty crappy speakers, I went out today and bought a nice pair of Logitech speakers for it. Annoyingly though, my TV doesn't actually have a headphone jack, or any sort of audio-out - so I have no idea how to hook them up. D:

Can anyone help me out? It seems unlikely that there's no way of doing it...

sig.gif
Cowbomb on

• Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    my TV doesn't actually have a headphone jack, or any sort of audio-out

I find this incredibly hard to believe. How about posting the make and model info for us.

travathian on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since my TV has some pretty crappy speakers, I went out today and bought a nice pair of Logitech speakers for it. Annoyingly though, my TV doesn't actually have a headphone jack, or any sort of audio-out - so I have no idea how to hook them up. D:

Do you use a cable box or set top converter of any kind? If so (depending on the model of course) there should be a multitude of audio outs.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »

I find this incredibly hard to believe. How about posting the make and model info for us.

It's an LG LS4D - and as far as I can tell, it's not got anything that I can actually plug the speakers into... though I am a bit thick when it comes to audio, so there might very well be something glaringly obvious that I've missed :P

Edit: This is what I've got at the back:

backsm.jpg

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's an LG LS4D - and as far as I can tell, it's not got anything that I can actually plug the speakers into... though I am a bit thick when it comes to audio, so there might very well be something glaringly obvious that I've missed :P

Mine has RCA out, so I used an adapter (like this http://www.compuvisor.com/logacoad97.html).

badpoet on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    backsm.jpg

Is there anything on the sides? You're right, I'm not seeing anything there.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    badpoet wrote: »
    Is there anything on the sides? You're right, I'm not seeing anything there.

Nope, that's everything...

I think I might be able to buy an adaptor for SCART-out, but to be honest I might just use this as an excuse to upgrade to a better TV... doesn't look like there's much I can do about the tinny sound on this one. :x

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I thought maybe it was hidden somewhere, but I pulled up LG's European website and snagged the users guide, and holy crap, I can't believe all those inputs and yet no output. i thought maybe this was a European thing, but checking the US website, our models are the same. The only dedicated audio out seems to be optical, and its not on all models.

travathian on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yall wrote: »

Do you use a cable box or set top converter of any kind? If so (depending on the model of course) there should be a multitude of audio outs.
    Seems either this post was skipped or I am blind, but yeah, your audio out should be coming from whatever device you are using (such as a cable box).

I've not purchased a new TV in a while, but not one that I have ever owned had audio out on it.

Sanders on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My TV has an Optical out port, so it's not exactly unheard of.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sanders wrote: »
    I've not purchased a new TV in a while, but not one that I have ever owned had audio out on it.

On the flip side, I have owned tvs for the past 30+ years and every single one had some sort of audio out, from a simple headphone jack on the front to RCA jacks on the back to optical ports.

travathian on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Indeed. My ugly old CRT has audio in and out via RCA jacks. I even once accidently plugged my DVD player into the out jacks and couldn't figure out why no matter how loud I cranked it, everything was so quiet.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png