As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem with new motherboard/chip and XP

ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
I just purchased a phenom II 955 with a MSI 790fx-gd70, with a geforce 285gtx. I upgraded from an e6600 with some gigabyte motherboard and a geforce 8800. I am running windows xp 32bit sp3.

I put the new hardware in, and attempted a boot up so that I could run the drivers dvd.

Right now when the computer boots, a normal boot of windows results in a bsod that passes by too quickly for me to see it. I am capable of booting into safe mode, however when I attempt to run the driver disc I receive a "Failed to load hardware monitor" error.

Is there something I'm missing? Do I just need to do a clean install of xp?

I've got a copy of windows 7 on the way, should I just wait for it and hope that it will prove to be more compatible?

steam_sig.png
Elitistb on

• Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can always boot off something like an UBCD to do some hardware diagnostics, but BSOD are almost always driver related. If the Win7 software will arrive soon I would just wait for it and do a clean install rather than go through the hassle of removing old drivers, trying to get compatible ones installed, messing around with an old OS.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So you think it is a conflict between the currently installed drivers (which were for the old system since I can't get the new ones to install)?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, it's most likely the old drivers being screwy. You should always uninstall drivers before you install new hardware. Since the 285GTX is somewhat close to the 8800, it's most likely causing some major conflict. It also could be the Intel chipset drivers conflicting with the new AMD chipset

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    For the future, is there some simple way to uninstall all these old drivers? Or do I need to go down the list "uninstall driver" for each item on my device manager?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Driversweeper should hit most of them

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, definitely try that out next time.

Assuming it supports windows 7. :)

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, just got Windows 7 installed and everything appears to be up and running. Thank you all for your advice.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png