As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So my new computer is completely screwed

SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
About a week ago, I received a Richochet Pro from novatech.co.uk. However, I only yesterday installed an OS (Windows Vista Home basic), and got a chance to use it.

So far, I've had around 8 BSODs, 3 times where it's turned off suddenly without prompting, one time where the computer completely spazzed out and crashed the moment I started a game of Left 4 Dead, and 2 times where the computer froze in some psychadelic mess where the only thing I could make out was the mouse.
And the computer seems slower than it should be (everytime I drag a window, it leaves trails behind)

So yeah, big problems. I've checked the temperature (around 40 degrees celsius), the hard drive (seems to be clean), and I've attempted to check the ram with this, but everytime i try, the computer blue screens.

So I'm thinking the RAM's faulty, but does anyone else have any input?

Somestickguy on

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried swapping out the ram? If it bluescreens when you run memtest, it's almost certainly a ram problem.

PolloDiablo on
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried swapping out the ram? If it bluescreens when you run memtest, it's almost certainly a ram problem.

Well, I don't have any other RAM.

Somestickguy on
    edited October 2009
    You can probably get some from Best Buy and return it if there's still a problem once you switch them.

PolloDiablo on
    edited October 2009
    I live in the UK, no best buys here.

And shouldn't Novatech deal with this, since it's their faulty RAM?

Somestickguy on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, fill out an RMA with Novatech and say the RAM is dead. If it's blue-screening during Memtest make sure you tell them that.

Distance selling laws, warranty, you're covered by a number of things.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, fill out an RMA with Novatech and say the RAM is dead. If it's blue-screening during Memtest make sure you tell them that.

Distance selling laws, warranty, you're covered by a number of things.

Awesome.

But will they cover the postage if I have to send it back to them?

Somestickguy on
    edited October 2009
    I think that's standard for an RMA.

PolloDiablo on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Depends on the type RMA request. Because it's a faulty item they should give you a pre-paid label or something similar to send it back to them.

I've had RMAs where I've had to pay for them but that's from me ordering the wrong products!

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin