As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for good single player MMO

FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Let me explain that subject... I enjoy the open world (and generally, the crafting systems) of a good MMO, but my internet connection is spotty, I'm not a fan of paying $15 per month to play and I need to be away from the computer periodically, so it's nice to be able to pause the game, which you can't do in an MMO. With that in mind, I'm looking for a good couple of games that have a similar feature set, but are designed to be single player or even multi-player over a LAN.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and I'm currently playing through Prototype. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Facelesscog on

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Let me explain that subject... I enjoy the open world (and generally, the crafting systems) of a good MMO, but my internet connection is spotty, I'm not a fan of paying $15 per month to play and I need to be away from the computer periodically, so it's nice to be able to pause the game, which you can't do in an MMO. With that in mind, I'm looking for a good couple of games that have a similar feature set, but are designed to be single player or even multi-player over a LAN.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and I'm currently playing through Prototype. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Borderlands is proving to be pretty goddamn awesome.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morrowind, followed by Oblivion.

Both are from the developer of F3 and both are fantastic.

Boredom on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you consider all open world games to be "Single player MMOs" (which by mentioning prototype in the same catagory you seem to) than can I recommend Saints Row 2? Good mindless fun, no brain required. And as Yahtzee rightly points out, it allows you to throw old ladies into jet turbines.

Mr Ray on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have a decent-ish pc you could try The Witcher.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morrowind is simply awesome for the price now, you can easily get it for like $5 including expansions.

I really really want Borderlands but I have to finish my first set of games I bought. I have this stupid habit of buying new games before I finish my old ones.

Coreo on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Borderlands is proving to be pretty goddamn awesome.

do it if you like having fun

Local H Jay on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I take it you want a game that is similar to fantasy MMOs but is not? Any 'western RPG' would fit that description (more or less any game made by BioWare). Diablo II can do LAN as well but the online portion doesn't require the greatest internet connection or time consumption.

If you want actual MMOs that can be enjoyable solo and do not require $15 a month, both Guild Wars and Dungeons & Dragons Online are free to play.

Sanders on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    you could try age of conan, its very single player-ish while levelling.

deadlydorito on
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Final Fantasy XII definitely fits the bill, if you have a PS2, or a PS3 with backwards compatibility.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love the vast size of an MMO, but I hate the requirement of dealing with people. Also, I enjoy being able to pause the game for a few hours in most occassions.

Borderlands is what you need.

A very large world. Great FPS action, supported by an excellent skill tree. There are three classes, each with their own skill tree. Each skill tree has three branches, of which you have enough points at max level to become maxed in two. The action is great. Difficulty is almost perfect. Great story. Excellent music.

Also, Dungeons and Dragons Online is free, but I have heard people say that there is a reason it is free (it sucks!). Then again, these are also the people that look at me crazy when I say I dislike 99% of MMOs.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait, I'm confused at all the people suggesting Borderlands, I thought that game required you to have friends?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Menasor wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII definitely fits the bill, if you have a PS2, or a PS3 with backwards compatibility.

The perfect PS2 "single-player MMO" game is .hack//G.U., considering the setting is actually an MMO. I loved that series. The damn thing even had a desktop where you received and sent e-mails from and to your party members, a separate game you could access (card battle game; quite fun), wallpapers and background music to collect and set, and more. You could send them these cards you collected to spark up very large e-mail conversations, too.

The MMO .hack//G.U. takes place in is called The World, and it has everything you expect from a real MMO. There were guilds, guild houses, a PvP arena, random chances for special bosses and loot to appear, "PC's" running around you could interact and trade with, and just so much more. It's incredibly deep.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    X3?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    guild wras is a pretty good single player mmo, and its free to play online. i dont know how many people still play it at this point, but theres a second one coming out sometime.

Ah_Pook on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    guild wras is a pretty good single player mmo, and its free to play online. i dont know how many people still play it at this point, but theres a second one coming out sometime.

THat game was so damn pretty! Their art is just amazing.

That said, they have AI buddies you can have in your party to give you a snowball's chance in hell for the missions that advance the story (and the areas you can explore). Unfortunately, they tend to be terrible. They don't have good enough equipment to be competitive, and before the level cap (surprisingly low), their level is too low for the area.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Risen is a great exploration-based RPG that will last you at least 30 hours.

Titan Quest is huuugge.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Demon's Souls fits most of what you want except the open-world setting. You basically have a hub from which you choose where to go. That said, it has crafting and multiplayer.

And is fucking awesome.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X3?

Shit! No!

*sigh*

Installing.

Metalbourne on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GTAIV, Saint's Row 2, Oblivion, Fallout3.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Machismo wrote: »

That said, they have AI buddies you can have in your party to give you a snowball's chance in hell for the missions that advance the story (and the areas you can explore). Unfortunately, they tend to be terrible. They don't have good enough equipment to be competitive, and before the level cap (surprisingly low), their level is too low for the area.

The game got a lot more solo friendly later in its life. If you buy the stand-alone expansion Nightfall, then a new henchmen system is introduced called 'Heroes.' These guys level up with you, cover all classes and can be customised (ie. their skills, skill points, equipment, etc). The 'expansion' Eye of the North introduced even more heroes to play with, but you need a copy of one of the stand-alones to play it.
    I only ever played with one other 'real' person, the rest of the slots being taken up with the AI companions. The rest of the time I played on my own with Heroes and henchies. It's a little trickier in parts, but you can still play just fine once you learn how the AI behaves.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GTAIV, Saint's Row 2, Oblivion, Fallout3.

add S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to that and Batman Arkham Asylum.

(well, ok, Batman doesn't entirely fit but... it's Batman, and if you haven't played it yet, you should)

DanHibiki on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm kinda like the OP where I like MMO worlds and some of the gameplay but I don't join groups much. I actually enjoy grinding sometimes and just going around the lands and seeing sights.

Anyways some suggestions:
    Freelancer
    SpaceForce: Rogue universe
    Mount & Blade
    Tales of Vesperia
    Dragon Aqe

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X3?

Oh god no.

No no no no no no no no no

fuck it's still installed.

see you in a few months everyone

Khavall on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    X3?

Oh god no.

I'm only saved by having a laptop that cannot handle the sheer computational power that this game requires. By the time I've set up the third station in my complex, the framerate slows down enough that I'm able to break the game's spell.

Metalbourne on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wait, I'm confused at all the people suggesting Borderlands, I thought that game required you to have friends?

You can play the game single-player. Heck, you can even take your single-player character and drop it online later down the line, or take your character you started online, and move it into single-player. It's more like having the character stick with you, and going where ever you want with it.

That being said, early reviews (take them for what you will) indicate that the game isn't quite so much fun without four people shootin' shit up together.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Given that I've played the entire Prophecies campaign from start to finish with just the AI, I'd say this is wrong. Do they require careful advancement at times? Yes. But they're capable.

citizen059 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X3?

Oh god no.

I'm only saved by having a laptop that cannot handle the sheer computational power that this game requires. By the time I've set up the third station in my complex, the framerate slows down enough that I'm able to break the game's spell.
    Q6600, 8800GT

I'm so boned

Khavall on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

Given that I've played the entire Prophecies campaign from start to finish with just the AI, I'd say this is wrong. Do they require careful advancement at times? Yes. But they're capable.

I'll give another nod to Guild Wars. It's huge. It's free. And solo play, while trickier in some places than others, is quite possible. It's also a lot of fun. Also, plenty of people still play it.

Drake on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drake wrote: »

I'll give another nod to Guild Wars. It's huge. It's free. And solo play, while trickier in some places than others, is quite possible. It's also a lot of fun. Also, plenty of people still play it.

Guild Wars is lovely, but the OP said his net connection is spotty. Don't know how viable an option it is.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sir Carcass on
  • PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I haven't played it myself but I've heard good things about Sacred II. VERY MMO-ish, even mounts and whatnot. Anyone know anything about it?

PkErthbnd on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

You can play the game single-player. Heck, you can even take your single-player character and drop it online later down the line, or take your character you started online, and move it into single-player. It's more like having the character stick with you, and going where ever you want with it.

That being said, early reviews (take them for what you will) indicate that the game isn't quite so much fun without four people shootin' shit up together.

I'm having a complete blast with my Mordecai single player run. Of course, Mordecai is kind of a lone wolf character, but I'm still enjoying myself immensely. I plan on single player running the other characters, too.

joshofalltrades on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X3?

Oh god no.

Deus Ex

There, that'll hold him til next summer or so.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    X3?

Oh god no.

Deus Ex

There, that'll hold him til next LIFE or so.

Fixd.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's just mean you guys. The only thing you've left out is Civilization 4...

FUCK.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Risen is a great exploration-based RPG that will last you at least 30 hours.

Titan Quest is huuugge.

Risen was good. 8/10 rating from me. I spent 50 hours completing Risen, and there's replayability. Try beating it as a mage, then a swordsman. I beat it as mage, which was relatively easy. I think the sword fighting vs the stronger humanoids and creatures is tougher than backpedaling while throwing fireballs.

Constrictor on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FFXII is the most MMOG-like experience I've had with a game that wasn't an MMOG.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    X3?

Oh god no.

Deus Ex

There, that'll hold him til next LIFE or so.

Fixd.

I guess I'm lucky that I find both games painfully boring.

As to suggestions, Saints Row2/GTA4. Two sides to one coin, and both are days of fun just messing around.

BlueDestiny on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Guild Wars is lovely, but the OP said his net connection is spotty. Don't know how viable an option it is.

The only problem will be updating the game. There's probably going to be about 2gb of updates to download. If the game is up to date, your internet connection can be as bad as it wants to be, and solo play will be fine (I had a friend who played with me through the campaigns and his dialup connection hit 3kb/s at best, and he still managed it). He needed to put it on my DSL connection regularly to grab updates though, but since the game has pretty much been put to pasture while they work on GW2, that should't be an issue anymore as long as you can get the initial updates.

-Loki- on