As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hates, Hopes, Happies, Hard Modes, and Harpies

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We had the siege gunners spam the crap out of them. I was being tossed up on top a lot so I didn't see a lot of what was going on. Getting them in the burning tar was pretty helpful too, but when I was actually on my demolisher I was pretty damn good at hitting em with the anti-air missiles. Those things bring them down surprisingly fast.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I was driving a siege on our last attempt at it and they can survive a ram. It's hard to protect the demolishers and stay on top of the flame vent interrupts, though.

We're also only using one bike and putting three people in one demo so that it always has someone to grab pyrite. Is that a bad idea?

Bama on
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    harpies: got into a pretty bad group for the heroic daily (ToC) today on my mage. 2 wipes on the champs, I carried the deeps, and then the Resto. druid rolls need on Kirusu's Decision because "it was better than his Reanimator's cloak."

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We didn't do that but we considered trying. It sounds like a really neat idea but those bikes have gotta be quick. Siege drivers should just stay focused on the vents and let their gunners handle the lashers though.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    What's the best way to deal with the adds in FL+4? Have bikes kite them into stuff?

That's sort of our strategy.

We have tar laid down in each corner where the adds spawn. Once it is set on fire, putting down tar on top of the fire will prevent the fire from ever going out. Once the adds spawn, biker runs kites adds through the fire until they die.

The only problem is you have to have one of your corner bikers (at least I think its only one) on double duty picking a person up too, but we have some good bikers.

Edit: This is 25man I'm talking about. You don't have enough bikes in 10man to handle it this way.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I was driving a siege on our last attempt at it and they can survive a ram. It's hard to protect the demolishers and stay on top of the flame vent interrupts, though.

We're also only using one bike and putting three people in one demo so that it always has someone to grab pyrite. Is that a bad idea?

I'm assuming this is on 10 man?

If so, drill it into the heads of the siege gunners that their #1 priority is to kill adds. The only reason they should be shooting anything else is because 1. Your siege driver missed the fact that he was under a hodir beam, and 2. you didn't prefill the field with pyrite and need to shoot more down (which is kinda what the demo drivers should be doing).

The 3 person demo job is how we've done it every time.

Nobody on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, speaking as someone who is usually a siege gunner, if you can find your 2 key, you can obliterate adds with your rockets.

Maybe it's not having farmed it, but I really enjoy FL.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This is how we do it. One demo keeps 10 stacks up all the time, sieges kill adds and interrupt, one bike does bike-like things, one demo has 3 guys in it, one is loaded from the start and launches asap, the other launchee stacks pyrite to 10 and tops pyrite off for the demo driver, and then also launches up.

Bikkstah on
    edited October 2009
    Yea, I enjoy FL. It's kind of my "pet" fight right now as I'm trying to get us doing hardmode as a guild. No matter who's running things that night, I end up de facto RL at the start of every Uld lockout.

Thanks a lot for the advice, guys. Even if we don't get the people tonight to take a swing at 4 towers, I'm at least going to leave Freya's up and get folks practicing on handling them, as I think we've got a good handle on all the other towers.

Bama on
    edited October 2009
    imo, Freya's is the hardest.

A lot of people dislike mimiron's tower, but his just makes the room smaller.

End on
  • AzareanAzarean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy; Got the Kill Headless Horseman, and Spew achievements on my level 23 Paladin Alt.

Now; Get all the Candy Buckets.

Hope; I get the Pet and Hat from Trick or Treat.

Azarean on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Thats how my guild does it. Being the Catapulting Demo driver I don't quite know about the adds, I think the other demo was blasting them to hell with AA rockets.

Hate: Trying to explain to people that the AA rocket does magnitudes more damage than the mortar. Some people just don't understand it.

Arrath on
  • StylosStylos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arrath wrote: »

Thats how my guild does it. Being the Catapulting Demo driver I don't quite know about the adds, I think the other demo was blasting them to hell with AA rockets.

Hate: Trying to explain to people that the AA rocket does magnitudes more damage than the mortar. Some people just don't understand it.

Maybe this has changed as I have not been a gunner in quite a while, but aren't those two on a seperate cool down from each other? Can't you just spam both?

Stylos on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Blessings are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA GUYS IM DONE BLESSING ALL FOURTY OF YOU WITH THE APPROPRIATE BUFFS. DON'T WORRY IM STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE RUNNING OUT ALREADY AND YOU PEOPLE WHINE LIKE HUGE BITCHES.

Poor babies, 10 clicks.

Same with old school warlock summons.

If you had a lazy raid, you were out of shards before the damn raid started.

Luckily I was an officer back then who got gkick happy with the biggest offenders.

Edit: Oh god, the health stones. *cries in a corner*
    Fuck the healthstones back then, man. Just fuck them:(
    Out of a reflex, I still go to almost any instance as the first player or so.. It was always "Ok, who's going to the instance while we dick off doing what we want? I mean, who else than the single warlock, who's obliged to, anyways!"

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Healthstones being one shard each plus bringing multiple locks with different specs for multiple stones. Aww yeah.

Opty on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually really enjoyed the brief raiding I did as a warlock. It was pre-BC, in molten core. It was great because dpsing was a nice change from healing, the gear was pretty darn good(kickass Felheart bonus), and being able to dot up a bunch of molten giants at once, back when so few classes had good dots, was awesome.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited October 2009
    I think in my entire time raiding in Vanilla on my druid, I think I got a healthstone only twice. Maybe.

I never asked for one...I think we were swapping people in our raids at some point, and that's how one got forced on me.

End on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh no, you forgot the part about screaming at the hunter to not sting because the mob could only have (i forgot what like 10 debuffs?) on it. oh and shadow priests might want to dot so scream at them too as your curse of doom was pushed off.

thank goodness blizzard has continued to make improvements to this game.

Pailryder on
    edited October 2009
    I totally didn't feel bad about hunters.

If the raid leader tells you not to sting, then don't sting. It shouldn't be hard to remember.

Septus on
  • TheTishTheTish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and lets not forget about conjuring water for an entire 40 man raid... at 4 waters per cast of the max rank.

uhgg...

TheTish on
    sig-1117080.jpg
    -- Gnome mage enchantress and inscriptionologist... er scribbler --
    sig-1497520.jpg
    sig-1497534.jpg
    edited October 2009
    that's not the point at all, imagine if you were told to do as much damage as possible but you can't use curse of affliction or agony or immolation because you don't want those dots on the boss :)

Pailryder on
    edited October 2009
    Pailryder wrote: »
    that's not the point at all, imagine if you were told to do as much damage as possible but you can't use curse of affliction or agony or immolation because you don't want those dots on the boss :)

I'd consider that an annoyance with the function of debuffs in raids, rather than annoyance at fellow raid players, which is what I took the conversation to be about.

Septus on
    edited October 2009
    hmm. to me the annoyance at other players came about because of bad design. blizzard fortunately fixed this. it's why i think wow survives so strongly today. people take for granted where things are at. warlocks had to scream at the hunters because the game was "new" and most raid leaders didn't know half the abilities of the other classes (and often still don't hah).
    i get your point, a hunter after a certain amount of time in MC should "know" better but i don't think people who yelled at another class did it out of hatred of the person, i thought it was hatred of the person because of poor game design :)

Pailryder on
    edited October 2009
    Happy!: 4 piece 8.5 to 4 piece 9.5 in one night. Hurray DKP surplus.

Bikkstah on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hate: People in my guild seem to have forgotten that there is a difference between being casual, and not taking things too seriously and just fucking around. This is not good.

DharmaBum on
    edited October 2009
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Hate: People in my guild seem to have forgotten that there is a difference between being casual, and not taking things too seriously and just fucking around. This is not good.
    Are you in my guild? We just had three members quit because one of them was pushed out of our Ony run by gearscore.

That person just hit 80 on Sunday and had an average ilvl of 183. He was also a healer, so we basically would have been doing it with 1.5 healers.

Bama on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Entriech wrote: »
    Happy: 25 Heroic Anub down last night with 5 attempts to go.
    Hate: The entirety of phase 3 of that fight. Having my health maintained around 2-3k tops is awful for the minutes that it lasts. I'm sure it drives the healers crazy.

I really can't stand doing that fight on anything but a healer. Well, on hard mode, where there is actually a chance of wiping. I tanked heroic 10 on my paladin two weeks ago and it was so nerve wracking watching everyone's health and not being able to do anything about it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA GUYS IM DONE BLESSING ALL FOURTY OF YOU WITH THE APPROPRIATE BUFFS. DON'T WORRY IM STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN BECAUSE THEY ARE RUNNING OUT ALREADY AND YOU PEOPLE WHINE LIKE HUGE BITCHES.

Poor babies, 10 clicks.

:lol:

oh no, you forgot the part about screaming at the hunter to not sting because the mob could only have (i forgot what like 10 debuffs?) on it. oh and shadow priests might want to dot so scream at them too as your curse of doom was pushed off.

MUST HAVE ROOM FOR 6x DEEP WOUNDS TICKING FOR 2 DPS GUYS. That shit was the WORST.

Oh I almost forgot.

Hate: Our DPS warrior, a really good player, gquit tonight because he refused to come to Ulduar (which we keep doing for block gear for Anub) and so we didn't invite him to the raid for heroic Twins afterward. I guess it would be fair to make someone sit out after they did Ulduar just so he could have their spot for the real content. Wait...

riz on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TheTish wrote: »
    Oh, and lets not forget about conjuring water for an entire 40 man raid... at 4 waters per cast of the max rank.

uhgg...

We had a guy start making water for an hour before the MC raid started one time, so he could quite smugly give it out to people.

He dc'd 5 mins before the raid started, and when he came back ("a character with that name already exists"), all the water he made was gone. I think he cried.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Eh: Getting the epic Wyrmrest exalted boots, gemming and enchanting them, then about an hour later getting even better epic boots from heroic Trial of the Champion, and gemming and enchanting those. Yeah, I get daily quest gold, but I pick up epic gems for epic items and expenditures are exceeding that income lately.

SabreMau on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy: guild finally cleared 10-man TOC last night. Got myself a sweet chest upgrade from the twins

Grrr: after regemming I'm now .01% below the poison hit cap.

Also happy: I can now pull about 4.5K DPS in 10mans.

Hate: staring to get pissed at my raidleader/masterlooter. He's pretty much a loot whore no matter which of his 5 80s he's on. Rolls on everything related to his class that drops in an instance and wins it 90% of the time. He'll go so far as getting two or three upgrades a night on his toon/s while people still wearing blues get fucked over. He finally did it to me last night when he outrolled me on the pyrite infuser. Alt spec on an alt toon outrolling a main. Woooooo

Not to mention the numerous times he's one the gem bag off Ony or the badge bag off Sarth.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Are you in my guild? We just had three members quit because one of them was pushed out of our Ony run by gearscore.

That person just hit 80 on Sunday and had an average ilvl of 183. He was also a healer, so we basically would have been doing it with 1.5 healers.

Naw. See what I meant wasn't that we're getting "hardcore" its that people have stopped taking our raids seriously at all. An example would be we were mopping up the rest of VoA after killing the Fire Guy and the tank that was doing Archavon decided it would be pretty neat to pull him up to the stairs and reset him. Which got a lot of people pissed off.

DharmaBum on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

8 debuffs at release, as I recall.

And you say "shadow priests" like anyone took anything but Holy to raids back then. El Oh El.
    riz wrote: »
    MUST HAVE ROOM FOR 6x DEEP WOUNDS TICKING FOR 2 DPS GUYS. That shit was the WORST.

I remember the witch hunts. "WHO SPEC'D FOR DEEP WOUNDS, YOU FUCKS??"

And agreed on the issue with good players who can't be bothered to farm older content but still want in on the newer stuff. In my old guilds, if anything, we'd work out an arrangement wherein said player (often someone who was Done with the instance) would intentionally sit out for someone else that needed the gear/badges/rep/whatever, and then pop in for the newer/desired bosses/instance, but just sitting out the old stuff and expecting a spot in the new like some sort of entitled brat is being an asshat, pure and simple.

Happy: 74 mage, booyah! And that's after starting at 10pm. Had to set my desk and rig back up, then got into Wintergrasp, then did the Heroic daily... which led to buying the Plate Heirloom chest and shoulders!

So I'm less than 40 badges and 200 stone shards from the mail pair and I'm officially done with farming heirloom gear.

Convenient that my two 'mains' have thus far been Leather wearing classes, back to back.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh, I hate those people. "Oh, I'll sit so you can bring in people that need stuff." No, you just don't feel like clearing to Algalon so that someone that's not you can get a trinket. Actually had someone whine about that last night; "Well I'm not up on it so why should I have to go?" Because, you worthless piece of shit, you signed up to be part of a *team.* Occasionally that means that you should idk, help someone that's not you?

I guess it's tied to not understanding why people have emo rage breakdowns over loot. My thought process: 1) Can I do my job effectively in progression content? 2) Does my stuff match? If 1 is yes, then any upgrades just make my job easier. If it's no, then I'm mashing buttons wrong and I can do better. If 2 is no, then I just have to grab deviate delight until it's yes. Done! It's all going to be crap in like 4 months and replaced by Emblem of [new tier] loot anyway, relax and lets go kill shit. My primary concern right now is finding a replacement weapon, since the mace I have looks dumb. Until then I'll cruise around with Benediction in Dalaran. See how easy that is?

I have found a way to counter some of the raid emo though; I trade people Tasty Cupcakes. It at least gets a laugh, and the icon for the Happy buff is hysterical. I need to make some bad clams to trade to the next person who vent rages, it'll be so good.

Anyway, Happy: Up to 4x "the Hallowed." Now down to needing 2x toothpicks (Hunter & DK) and apparently a new helm on my Rogue... I got this email back regarding my Helm from last year counting then not counting:
    Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department.

The information you supplied has been added to our own. We thank you for taking the time to report this matter, and we appreciate your dedication towards making the World of Warcraft the best possible game it can be.

You can also check our forums ("http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/forums/") where you can discuss game issues with other players.

Thank you again for contacting us. We hope you continue to enjoy your experience in World of Warcraft!

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, those type of Borg replies (Your information has been added to our own.) are what I got asking why I couldn't get treat bags randomly. Just keep opening tickets until you annoy them enough to push you up to a senior GM or eventually, a dev.

Bikkstah on
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hate: Hey MS, ship my copy of Windows 7 already.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Happy - Hodir Exalted #2 ~fini~
    Happier - Glacial bag pattern
    Hate - 2 points of tailoring away from learning it.. /elsigh

Happiest - So I'm doing my last hodir dailys on the warlock, doing the brittle revenants, and a level 79 troll rogue tags a couple of them that i'm going towards and then /lol and /spit at me..

I spent the next 5 minutes corruption tagging anything that moved.

The whisper from the level one mage made my year :)

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They might have changed the requirement for the helm to need to be looted to you due to people realizing they could pass it around, log out with it, get the achievement, and then pass it to the next guy.

Opty on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can't do that. I had the achievement (got it with the helm switch method) and the meta wouldn't activate. Sucks to be me.

Senshi on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bleh, it seems to have happened to quite a few people who had the helm from last year... It counted then didn't all of a sudden. I'll have to look later to see if it's a different ID number or something.

I'm not worried about it, we do 26 summons a day so I'm sure I'll see 400 more before the event ends, but it's the principle damnit! (OK, and I feel bad for people that aren't running with the same group of crackhead altaholics every day)

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Realm First: Celestial Defender

aww yisss

Beasteh on
This discussion has been closed.