As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!!! (Official "300" Thread)

• bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you obviously don't see half of what I post

but yeah Gerard Butler could have at least tried to suppress rolling his goddamn R's

bent on
    sig1.png
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bent wrote: »
    you obviously don't see half of what I post

but yeah Gerard Butler could have at least tried to suppress rolling his goddamn R's

Turn in your penis

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited March 2007
    THISH ISH SHPARRRTA *prrfphlllrrrrrt*

bent on
    sig1.png
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bent go downtown and turn in your penis

Raneados on
    edited March 2007
    I'm not saying I didn't like the film.

The guy just had a ridiculous accent and they said sparta every other word. I wanna go to an IMAX now; never been to one :(

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    bent wrote: »
    I'm not saying I didn't like the film.

The guy just had a ridiculous accent and they said sparta every other word. I wanna go to an IMAX now; never been to one :(

If you want to keep your penis you better go to one

trentsteel on

• SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I used to know a kid everyone called IMAX. I don't know why, he wasn't like seven screens wide or anything.

SpongeCake on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    saw it last night

good fun

but god damn that's a lot of torso for one movie

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    saw it last night

good fun

Oh, speaking of which, is this your erection Rank?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Callius wrote: »
    saw it last night

good fun

Oh, speaking of which, is this your erection Rank?

the one firmly pressed against your prostate?

yeah, that's it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the one firmly pressed against your prostate?

yeah, that's it.
    You really should keep better track of your toys, young man.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    saw it last night

good fun

I was thinking through that movie, hey, am I getting a boner because of the awesome and the decapitation, or because of the chiseled, sweaty abs? Y/Y

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    faramir was pretty delicious

bongi on
  • DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't like what he was doing with his voice though. It sounded a bit... off to me. Forced.

If Gerard Butler was going full on och aye the noo mae wee haggis Wenham should have been allowed to play it New Zealandish. It's common goddamn courtesy.

DarkHawke on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

jwalk on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WALTSPARTA.gif

Darth Waiter on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh god

cross-post that in the LOST thread

Green on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »

David Wenham is as aussie as they come.

#pipe on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The movie was pretty OK...

But I fucking hated all the freedom bullshit. Hated it.

The fight scenes in the movie were amazing though. Almost as good as the Oldboy hammer scene.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am taking my girlfriend out to see this tonight for her birthday.

ferrets54 on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you is gunna get some!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ferrets54ferrets54 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In all seriousness, she already has the comic book, so I feel it is not a bad move.

ferrets54 on
    edited March 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

But I fucking hated all the freedom bullshit. Hated it.

I hate that shit it in every fucking movie. Also real life.

trentsteel on

• StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, freedom fucking sucks

Strato on
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Strato wrote: »

the bullshit is that they did this whole "FOR FREEDUMB" thing when the spartans were slavers

like, they had slaves

Skull Man on
    edited March 2007
    Skull Man wrote: »

the bullshit is that they did this whole "FOR FREEDUMB" thing when the spartans were slavers

like, they had slaves

They mentioned slaves at one point

"No man in Sparta, king or slave, is above the law"

Green on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »

David Wenham is as aussie as they come.

aussie and delicious

bongi on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

like, they had slaves

Like the "boy-loving greeks" line, it was meant to highlight the hypocricy of the Spartans.

That, or it was fucking dumb.

Garthor on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

like, they had slaves

It goes beyond having slaves, practically the entire Spartan society was based around the fact they needed to keep their slaves under control- they vastly outnumbered the actual free Spartans.

Hell, according to wikipedia, there were a couple thousand of said slaves at the battle of Thermopylae, who died with the Spartans.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • EternalEternal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They meant freedom as in sovereignity, like how Mel Gibson meant it in Braveheart. In oldent times it was okay to be a slave or virtual slave, but entirely objectionable to be one to a person with different beliefs.

Eternal on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JayKaos wrote: »

like, they had slaves

It goes beyond having slaves, practically the entire Spartan society was based around the fact they needed to keep their slaves under control- they vastly outnumbered the actual free Spartans.

Hell, according to wikipedia, there were a couple thousand of said slaves at the battle of Thermopylae, who died with the Spartans.

Crazy.

I like the fake version better.

Strato on
    edited March 2007
    Eternal wrote: »
    They meant freedom as in sovereignity, like how Mel Gibson meant it in Braveheart. In oldent times it was okay to be a slave or virtual slave, but entirely objectionable to be one to a person with different beliefs.

The Helots, ie the slaves the Spartans had, were basically people who lived nearby at one point.

The Spartans just up and conquered everyone around them, and then had to go all badass to keep them all enslaved- hence, the Agogue.

EDIT: Thanks, was too lazy to look it up.

JayKaos on
    edited March 2007
    Eternal wrote: »

The Helots, ie the slaves the Spartans had, were basically people who lived nearby at one point.

The Spartans just up and conquered everyone around them, and then had to go all badass to keep them all enslaved- hence, the egogi or however the hell it's spelled.

Agogue

Green on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    The Spartans just up and conquered everyone around them, and then had to go all badass to keep them all enslaved

Except the Thebans, M I RITE?

J. Grant on
  • Dr. GonzoDr. Gonzo Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    haven't seen the movie yet, but i sure the hell would like to. my only problem with it were the people who decided that they wanted to be spartans because they though the movie was accurate account. looks fucking great from what i've seen though. and marines seem to fucking love it which sounds promising for violence

Dr. Gonzo on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Folks, quiet about the freedom thing.

Historically, the battle of Thermopolyae and the whole war with the Persians was seen, by all of the Greeks, as a battle for freedom. And if it wasn't for the Spartans, democracy would have been strangled in the grave. Besides, everyone fucking owned slaves back then. That is just how shit rolled.

It sucks, but with a bit of rationalizing you can agree with how the movie handled it. Plus, talking about fighting for your Duel Hereditary Kingship sounds like a pretty shitty concept. This isn't a historical movie. It's a comic book to the furtherest extremes. You might as well bitch about how Marv wouldn't be able to take that much punishment in Sin City.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The original pictures of the guy are at FS, penguin. Also why aren't you on AIM?
    Oh. Sorry.

And for some reason FS won't let me log on anymore. I think it has something to do with Firefox.

Or you fucking with my computer, since this all started about two weeks ago.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

Historically, the battle of Thermopolyae and the whole war with the Persians was seen, by all of the Greeks, as a battle for freedom. And if it wasn't for the Spartans, democracy would have been strangled in the grave. Besides, everyone fucking owned slaves back then. That is just how shit rolled.

It sucks, but with a bit of rationalizing you can agree with how the movie handled it. Plus, talking about fighting for your Duel Hereditary Kingship sounds like a pretty shitty concept. This isn't a historical movie. It's a comic book to the furtherest extremes. You might as well bitch about how Marv wouldn't be able to take that much punishment in Sin City.

Look, if you want to get all intellectual and discuss the actual slaves vs. Free Citizens social mores of the Greek City-states, I'm afraid that my answer will have to be spoilered, so as not to attract lesser minds:
    screamy.gif

J. Grant on
    edited March 2007

I never really had a problem with that being in the movie, I just found it kindof amusing.
    Also I like spouting random information about ancient greece.

JayKaos on
  • Dr. GonzoDr. Gonzo Registered User new member
    edited March 2007

the spartans weren't really responsible for greek victory. the fact that they held off the persians helped, but there were a lot bigger factors that led to greek victory

Dr. Gonzo on