As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Apple Stuff: Brought to you by the letter "M"

2»

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    they put the SD slot into the 13 and 15" MacBook Pro's, mainly because people have been asking for it *forever,* especially with USB ports at a premium.
    Yeah, I get it in the laptops, but the desktops? Especially when they just eliminated the one wire you normally needed to use for the keyboard/mouse...

Then it can be argued that they did that so you can have even fewer wires. Don't need a wire to connect your camera to the mac when you can just plug the card in.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I swear, Apple would rather fellate Bill Gates than release a the goddamn two-button mouse that even die hard Apple fans want.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to just swallow your pride, make a spiffy looking two-button mouse, and then sit back as the profits roll in? Oy, some forms of "think different" just hurt my brain.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I swear, Apple would rather fellate Bill Gates than release a the goddamn two-button mouse that even die hard Apple fans want.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to just swallow your pride, make a spiffy looking two-button mouse, and then sit back as the profits roll in? Oy, some forms of "think different" just hurt my brain.
    I'd just like to say: I want to see how good their "trackpad on a mouse" actually is before condemning it out of hand but, yes, clicky buttons are nice.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Mac Mini server interests me, but I just haven't got the money for that sort of thing.

The mouse looks neat; I might buy one further down the road if it's as good as it's made out to be.

However, I'm actually interested in getting the new remote. I can't figure out where the hell my old one went, and I find that it's so much easier for giving presentations in class.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought a Macbook just under two weeks ago and so I was able to trade it in for the new one. They were very friendly and I was amazed how hassle free it was. Impressed with it so far. I also got to try out the new mouse in store, I was very cool although the fact that you have to lift your left finger to right click is annoying.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ascot wrote: »
    How bad an idea is it to buy a 13" MBP right now? They were refreshed early summer, it's not likely they'll get another update, let alone a major overhaul, any time soon right?

it's likely we'll see a spec bump early next year, with an outside chance of for the holidays, nothing major. The only thing that kind of confuses me is that the $1000 MacBook comes with a 250GB drive standard while the $1300 MBP comes with only 160GB. Didn't matter to me as I immediately replaced it with a $50 320GB drive, but still.
    Not confusing at all. It's just a case of new vs. old. The MacBooks are new. The MacBook Pro's are old. When the Pro's are updated, they will have bigger HD's and once again be higher than the white MB's. This isn't the first time a lower end consumer Apple device came out with better tech than the higher Pro models of the time. Remember how long the MacBook Pro's had latches while the MB's had the nifty magnet?

Jasoco on
  • redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anarchy wrote: »
    I bought a Macbook just under two weeks ago and so I was able to trade it in for the new one. They were very friendly and I was amazed how hassle free it was. Impressed with it so far. I also got to try out the new mouse in store, I was very cool although the fact that you have to lift your left finger to right click is annoying.

I was able to contact Apple and get a $300 "price-protection" credit, which would be the difference between what I ordered 10-days ago and what was announce yesterday. I got no complaints on that one (I'd rather take $300 than pay the $190 restocking fee to buy another computer), though I have to state this is some pretty awesome customer service.

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • Smooth AlternateSmooth Alternate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't use the new mouse if you ever plan on going back to clicky mice.

Smooth Alternate on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't use the new mouse if you ever plan on going back to clicky mice.

Because then you'll realize how bad you had it when you were using the magic mouse? :) Every review I've read so far has liked the idea of the gestures and touch-sensitive mouse, but has said that it's not a very comfortable mouse or as easy to use/figure out as you would expect.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is this the new Mac thread? I have a question.

Are there any third party utilities that work with bootcamp to simplify switching between OSes? My boss wants to hit a button and reboot into windows and vice versa.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the 30" cinema display is £1,173 and the 27" iMac is £1,349.

This seems a bit silly.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why's that?

Recoil42 on
    edited October 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Are there any third party utilities that work with bootcamp to simplify switching between OSes? My boss wants to hit a button and reboot into windows and vice versa.

We dont' have a "Mac thread" anymore. your question should have gone into it's own thread, but we can still try to help. Honestly though, I don't know how it gets much easier then pressing one key at startup and clicking on the icon of "Hard drive" or "Windows"

I know that from within windows if you right click on the boot camp system tray icon there's a "reboot into OS X" that will shut down windows, but really, pressing option on startup really isn't hard.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

You could try something like this. I've never used it, but it puts a switcher menu item in the menu bar.

FF on
    Huh...
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know that from within windows if you right click on the boot camp system tray icon there's a "reboot into OS X" that will shut down windows, but really, pressing option on startup really isn't hard.

This is cool, I'll point out that option. His issue is that he doesn't want to watch his computer boot and sit there holding the key while it does. He wants to get up and get coffee while his computer boots.
    FF wrote: »
    You could try something like this. I've never used it, but it puts a switcher menu item in the menu bar.

This looks awesome. Thank you.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I never use the option key on startup because I have a bluetooth keyboard and it doesn't always work on boot up.

I use the windows system tray thing or OS X system preferences to switch startup volumes.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    bent wrote: »
    So the 30" cinema display is £1,173 and the 27" iMac is £1,349, has a computer built in and a much superior IPS display.

This seems a bit silly.
    FTFY.
    You are of course correct that it seems silly to pay more money for a superior deal.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the 30" cinema display is £1,173 and the 27" iMac is £1,349, has a computer built in and a much superior IPS display.

This seems a bit silly.
    FTFY.
    You are of course correct that it seems silly to pay more money for a superior deal.

The 30" cinema display is IPS as well.

Fats on
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    redxxii wrote: »
    Anarchy wrote: »

I was able to contact Apple and get a $300 "price-protection" credit, which would be the difference between what I ordered 10-days ago and what was announce yesterday. I got no complaints on that one (I'd rather take $300 than pay the $190 restocking fee to buy another computer), though I have to state this is some pretty awesome customer service.

I'm assuming ths restocking fee is a US charge since all I paid was the different between then (£43 or about $70-80) and walked out 15 mins later. I'm still tempted to buy the magic mouse but £55 or about $100 is a little too expensive for my liking.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    £55 for a terrible mouse that makes you life up your index finger to right click. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    they put the SD slot into the 13 and 15" MacBook Pro's, mainly because people have been asking for it *forever,* especially with USB ports at a premium.
    Yeah, I get it in the laptops, but the desktops? Especially when they just eliminated the one wire you normally needed to use for the keyboard/mouse...

Since they seem to be so heavily pushing for a wireless aesthetic, my guess is that they don't want you cluttering up their shiny iMac with your USB-connected camera or USB card reader.

To be fair, USB transfer from a camera takes ages compared to having the SD cart directly in the computer. Especially video files. Card in computer = 4 second transfer, card in camera connected via usb = easily 2 minutes

FyreWulff on
  • sbo esreversbo esrever __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    £55 for a terrible mouse that makes you life up your index finger to right click. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

So fuckin wrong bro

people already lift their fingers slightly when they click anyway, a person's right mouse button finger for instance generally hovers a bit.

sbo esrever on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

So fuckin wrong bro

people already lift their fingers slightly when they click anyway, a person's right mouse button finger for instance generally hovers a bit.

Oh my goodness i wonder who this could be.

KalTorak on
  • sbo esreversbo esrever __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

So fuckin wrong bro

wuzzup wuzzup

sbo esrever on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

This seems a bit silly.

When you get up to that size of a monitor, a few inches can make a huge difference in price.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

So fuckin wrong bro

wuzzup wuzzup

hysterical.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
    edited October 2009

This seems a bit silly.

When you get up to that size of a monitor, a few inches can make a huge difference in price.

yes, that's why it's cheaper to buy 2x24" monitors than a single 30" panel.

wunderbar on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm actually pretty tempted by that mouse.

No cash to buy it though :(

BobCesca on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i want to try the mouse first to see if it's good
    but that imac, oh my

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • wirespeedwirespeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I tested the mouse (and it's associated control panel) on an iMac in my local Apple Store. I actually loved it. I'm sold on the gestures and the right-clicking (which for all my effort I was never able to get used to with the goddamned Mighty Mouse). I'll be ordering one as soon as it's available.

The other product that was quietly launched the other day that I'm really excited about is the new Mac Mini Server. $999 for a small business or home server running OS X server. Pretty nice little package, though the HDD is a bit small, but hooked up to a Drobo or something and it would be pretty damn awesome.
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/server/

wirespeed on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i want to try the mouse first to see if it's good
    but that imac, oh my

i kind of need a newer computer for school in the next few months (autocad, solidworks, just general number crunching and my 2.5 blackbook is showing its age).

It's really temping to get a iMac over building a core i5/i7 machine from scratch. I could easily justify it if the base model came with the 4670 though. I mean, 250 bucks to the next model and all you get is a dedicated video card and another 500 GB :?

although the screen on the imac's is fucking incredible

ronzo on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    tried a magic mouse at best buy today. Not the best conditions because i couldnt web-browse, but i got a feel for it.

It's really odd

part of that is because i've had a mx 580 for like 3 years now so my hand kind of doesnt want to lay flat like that right away. The scrolling was very nice, but getting two fingers on there while holding the mouse was kind of difficult, i found it easier to just pick up my hand and flick on the middle part of the mouse

also, now that i've seen a 27 inch in the flesh: sweet mother of god it is beautiful

there is also no way i could ever justify it

ronzo on