As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GreatLakesPAX! May 18-20

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited May 2007 in Social Entropy++
Great Lakes PAX!

May 18-20, 2007
Lakewood, OH (immediately west of Cleveland)

who's coming:
we've got a few tentatives, but here's who's definitely gonna be there
Qs23
lordthanda
randomguy
Butters
TheMarshall

This is a 21+ PAX, as the plan revolves around drinking and video games, so here's the game plan. Lakewood is home to about three to four times as many bars as churches (and there's about 40-50 churches here). Also, Lakewood's bars are less expensive and about as nice as those in downtown Cleveland. There's also the possiblity of hitting Dave and Buster's in Westlake, which would require transportation (either a designated driver or taxi-cab). Dave and Buster's does combine the art of arcade gaming with the sport of getting wasted, so that's a definate possibility of something to do (especially since my home collection isn't as impressive as i'd like it to be). That said, if people want to bring games and game out at my place, we can totally do that too. So whether you live in the Cleveland area, or just plan on showing up for the festivities, it's GreatLakesPAX, damn it, so come get your drink on.

I currently have a DS and Gamecube, with a handful of games, and an original NES. So if you want to bring games, controllers or your own consoles, bring it on. Questions, comments, trolling? Post here or use one of my many contact methods in my profile.

Okay, here's some planning goodness. Friday night, we'll hang out at my place and get our game on, if you have a console/games you're comfortable travelling with, bring it on. Those of us who do drink can migrate up to a nearby bar (and by nearby, I mean less than a quarter mile away, and by "a" I mean six). On Saturday, we can get our game on and if people want to see some of the sights (what few there are) we can do that too. I live right around the corner from the Metroparks, which is basically a river valley that ended up getting protected before too much developing could be done. There's two golf courses in the park, other than that it's pure woods with a nice path. Other area things to see are the local museums and the science center with our IMAX theater. That evening we will make our way to Westlake (about ten miles away, we'll need a designated driver or two, if we're short on them I'll sacrifice being drunk at D&B and get behind the wheel in all soberness). There is much gamage to be had at the Dave and Busters, as well as food. You don't have to be 21 to go to Dave and Busters, only to drink there. Believe me, the last time I was there, there were actually children there (with their parents, of course) after 10pm on a Friday. We have to get to D&B before 10pm or they charge a $3 cover charge (I know, lame considering how much shit there is there for us to spend money on). On Sunday, we can go grab some lunch and the rest of the day is up for suggestions, depending on what time people plan on departing for their homesteads. I'm still researching hotels that cost less than $100 a night, but people might want to get together to split their rooms anyway.

I've mapped out many of the local hotels and motels, although I do not currently have the time to research all their prices, here they are. I also marked off my place with a house, the Metroparks with a tree and Dave and Busters with a TV. Maply Goodness

Also, here's another map depicting the area bars, enjoy!

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    that's like, 200 miles from my house

i could almost do this

potatoe on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Uriel will come, Potatoe.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Uriel's not 21

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, I can probably come to this, Moe.

Count me in-ish.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Woo!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More interest needs to be drummed up!

drumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrumdrum

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm way up in Vermont, but this is a hike I'd still be willing to make.
    Is there anyone from the New York area planning to go that I could maybe catch a ride with?

Captain Cthulhu on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That'd be cool as fuck for you to come, Monkeybomb. I owe you whiskey or two. :)

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited March 2007
    Maybe I should have called this DrunkPAX ;)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    DeletedPostsPAX

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    edited March 2007
    Blame DaySleeper for that one.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    promotion of underage drinking ? blatant disregard for quality humor ? moe. you make my heart cry. yet my uncontrollable man power says you are desperately in need of a ps2 and dreamcast....or a wii. are you willing to have your projector explode from the awesome might of sed wii ?!?!!!?!??!

p.s. i think i will come.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    man that's like seven hours away and I don't even drink

DJ Eebs on
    edited March 2007
    If we go to Dave and Buster's drinking is only half the fun, as there's massive amounts of arcade machines everywhere for insanity playing time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Totally coming to this. I'll try & Drag QS with me. What sort of things should we be bringing?

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
    edited March 2007
    Any gaming equipment you're comfortable traveling with, I've got a Gamecube amd DS here, so GC controllers, games, your DS and games , any consoles you're comfortable traveling with, laptops, if we plan to get some PC play on (Civ 4 anyone?). As long as you're comfortable bringing it and it's easy to travel with, go ahead and bring it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Any gaming equipment you're comfortable traveling with, I've got a Gamecube amd DS here, so GC controllers, games, your DS and games , any consoles you're comfortable traveling with, laptops, if we plan to get some PC play on (Civ 4 anyone?). As long as you're comfortable bringing it and it's easy to travel with, go ahead and bring it.

i will totally crush you and your crappy civ4 map. FOR SPARTA !!!!!

if anyone wants to get PC crazy. like source games, bf series, quake series, etc ... let me know i can setup a server for the night. ...somebody works for a gameserver company *wink*wink*

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not so much for drinking, although this is only a couple hundred miles from Camp Pkmoutl.

Plus, we may be a little busy around that time getting ready for Foster kids.

Pkmoutl on
    edited March 2007
    There have been some inquiries into area hotels, so I'll be looking into a few, and posting what I find shortly.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm surprised people have forgotten the Moe_Fwacky I'm a shitty driver but it's best this way let me drive you to PAX thread.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited March 2007
    i would totally like to make it to this

if i somehow have a car by then, it's a definite

if not, it's a "if i can scrounge up enough money for both bus fare and heavy drinking, then yes"

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    Hotels

Okay there are a number of hotels in the area, so we'll go with one's I'm familiar with

Holiday Inn Select
    1111 Lakeside E
    Cleveland, OH
    (216) 241-5100
    I used to work in the gift shop at this place and might be able to get them to stock some Bawls for us ($100 a night, approximately, I didn't actually call this one, I'm basing it on what I know from working there), but it's on the busline to Lakewood.

Holiday Inn-Cleveland Airport
    4181 W. 150th
    Cleveland, OH
    (216)252-7700
    This one is to the south of Lakewood, also $100/night

Comfort Inn
    1800 Euclid Ave
    Cleveland, OH
    (216) 861-0001
    This place is right across the street from Cleveland State University campus and runs $105/night, I don't know much about it, but Qs23 stayed there not too long ago, and seemed to like it (although they did upgrade him to a suite due to renovations, so by the time May rolls around there should be a freshly renovated floor or two).

These are the only hotels I can really vouch for that don't look like they're gonna cost a fortune (i.e. big downtown hotels) and that I know aren't roach motels. More can be found through a google search, and if people want me to give a place a call for them, just let me know.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    what the hell

posts are disappearing left and right

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    It's DaySleeper trying to make me look like a fool again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    not a difficult feat

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    Okay, it was just brought to my attention that May 13 is Mother's Day, so I'm changing the dates to May 18-20.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am considering this proposal

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
    edited March 2007
    This proposal is a worthy one. A few more hotels have been suggested to me, so I'm looking into those. Does anybody have any suggestions for activities other than "get drunk and play video games"?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    orgy?

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    only if you bring your sister

and if she's hot

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    i was going tobe all "dude, she's like 14"

then i realized...shit...she's already 17

that makes me feel old
    [noparse]D:[/noparse]

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    but is she hot? that's whats really important.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited March 2007
    oh shit yeah

i mean ewwww

potatoe on
    edited March 2007
    helllzzz yeah. you bring that bitch along.

we gonna git hyphy.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Have some debauchery in my honor fellas.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Just for referencing, this is totally still happening.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Aww man I would totally be up for this if I had any money. Maybe if potatoe is going he can take me along or somthing. I would totally go if things stay dirt cheap.

And be all awkwaaaard

Bedlam on
    edited April 2007
    Where in Michigan are you guys from, Qs23 and lordthanda are from Ann Arbor and are coming out, but won't be able to get here until early Saturday evening. Perhaps some carpooling can be arranged?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Im from Holland on the lakeshore and potatoe is from allegan which is only like half an hour drive from me. Ann Arbor is like 3 hours away at least. (which would be half the distance or more to ohio)

Bedlam on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ann Arbor is 3 hours if you drive like you're from Ohio. Drive like a proper Michigander, and you'll get there in just over 2.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg