As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime] Come for the ninjas, stay for the public shaming.

• Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Gammarah wrote: »
    This thread is really cool, and has gotten interested in watching a lot of anime that I normally wouldn't. Since the majority of the anime I've previously watched has been all action oriented (Bebop, Champloo, Trigun... etc), I'm looking through the recomendations thread to try a bunch of new stuff. So right now I'm watching School Days, Bleach, and One Piece, but I wanna watch some of the stuff you guys are talking about right now so I don't feel left out. Going to watch Baccano soon, maybe try Saki and some other stuff.

So in short, thanks anime thread!
    hahahaha what

You are making the wrong choices, friend. Or maybe you're not adept enough at picking who not to listen to.

Look, go watch Darker than Black, Baccano, and Ouran High School Host Club. Those 3 will do you well.

Will do. I'm only halfway through the first episode so its not like I wasted much time on it.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This thread is really cool, and has gotten interested in watching a lot of anime that I normally wouldn't. Since the majority of the anime I've previously watched has been all action oriented (Bebop, Champloo, Trigun... etc), I'm looking through the recomendations thread to try a bunch of new stuff. So right now I'm watching School Days, Bleach, and One Piece, but I wanna watch some of the stuff you guys are talking about right now so I don't feel left out. Going to watch Baccano soon, maybe try Saki and some other stuff.

hahahaha what

You are making the wrong choices, friend. Or maybe you're not adept enough at picking who not to listen to.

Look, go watch Darker than Black, Baccano, and Ouran High School Host Club. Those 3 will do you well.

Will do. I'm only halfway through the first episode so its not like I wasted much time on it.

No, go ahead and watch it, but be sure to give everyone an episode-by-episode reaction message.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

hahahaha what

No, go ahead and watch it, but be sure to give everyone an episode-by-episode reaction message.
    My dear, we don't want to break the new ones. We need to keep them around a little first so they don't run off and disappear after School Days.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Ok I haven't done this in a while so here ya go:

Whaaaat. Thanks for ruining Haruhi forever for me.
    Now I know more stuff happens later on.
    Spoilers should be illegal since you're pretty much telling me what's going to happen so no need to watch/read/buy the series and thus the company loses money.

Okay. No one cares.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

hahahaha what

I finished the first episode. The first half was alright, some weird and kinda awkward fanservice, and an almost-rape scene made it weird but I could still watch it. Then the fanservice dial gets turned to 11 while every girl in school falls over the insensitive, unlikeable prick of a protaganist. Also I got some weird lesbian overtones that I wasn't quite expecting. And now I'll stop talking about it forever.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

hahahaha what

I finished the first episode. The first half was alright, some weird and kinda awkward fanservice, and an almost-rape scene made it weird but I could still watch it. Then the fanservice dial gets turned to 11 while every girl in school falls over the insensitive, unlikeable prick of a protaganist. Also I got some weird lesbian overtones that I wasn't quite expecting. And now I'll stop talking about it forever.

Ahhh, oh god!

Still haven't watched School Days.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well. Finished the first episode [tiny]of Haruhi[/tiny]. It's not bad. The premise works. At least it gives me a reason to watch it over most of the school hyjinx shows out there.

[tiny]Mikuru is so cute oh my god I'm going to die[/tiny]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which first episode?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Well. Finished the first episode [tiny]of Haruhi[/tiny]. It's not bad. The premise works. At least it gives me a reason to watch it over most of the school hyjinx shows out there.

Yeah, she is. A lot of people find the moeblob thing as an abomination to God, though...
    I just feel sorry for her most of the time.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The School Days recommendation is in there kind of as a joke. I mean, Pika meant it as a real recommendation, but it's really on the list as an in-joke. Probably should have left it out since School Days always causes all kinds of complaining.

Recent stuff I'd suggest if you're looking to branch out from the old classics:

Eden of the East
    Spice and Wolf
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Taishou Yakyuu Musume - I'd recommend this over Saki as a "girls form a club" type show
    Bakemonogatari

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, Ouran High School Host Club is awesome. If every episode is as funny as the first, I'll definitely keep watching.
    The School Days recommendation is in there kind of as a joke. I mean, Pika meant it as a real recommendation, but it's really on the list as an in-joke. Probably should have left it out since School Days always causes all kinds of complaining.

Recent stuff I'd suggest if you're looking to branch out from the old classics:

Eden of the East
    Spice and Wolf
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
    Taishou Yakyuu Musume - I'd recommend this over Saki as a "girls form a club" type show
    Bakemonogatari

Yeah I could tell after the first episode. At least now I get the joke, although I could have gone with a less painful initiation. Thanks for the recommendations, will definitely keep watching.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah it stays pretty good. At a couple points it drags but as long as you don't watch a ton at once it works pretty good.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, she is. A lot of people find the moeblob thing as an abomination to God, though...
    I just feel sorry for her most of the time.

I tend to find it that too, most of the time. I have a few exceptions. She seems to be one, mostly because of the shit she's going to have to go through.
    The other big exception being Ranka Lee.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    i also recommend tokyo magnitude 8.0

it is a very happy and uplifting series!

see how happy?

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not that gullible.
    actually I am

Gammarah on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mikuru's cute but her incompetence in everything ever makes me hate her instead of like her.

As for Blacksmith 3...
    I try to cut people like Cecily slack in that situation - killing someone that looks human ain't easy the first time. I'll forgive the minor annoyance since we got to see some minor characters who I completely expected to die helplessly (such as the knight captain) kicking serious ass and not taking shit.

Plus, with the ultimate weapon being a rapier, maybe everyone (both in the show and out of it) can stop talking about KATANAHs all the damn time.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I wish they would have made Endless Eight nine episodes.

That's it, I'm killing you off in the LP.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I wish they would have made Endless Eight nine episodes.

That's it, I'm killing you off in the LP.

It would have been the ultimate blindside troll, the stuff of legends : (

Everyone was all 'omg they actually did an entire eight episodes.' Then bam, episode nine.

And the outfits in the last one were generally really weak, like a C-

Frosteey on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well. Finished the first episode [tiny]of Haruhi[/tiny].

You mean the first broadcast episode? As in the school movie?

After you're done with the first season, watch it again. Trust me.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Episode 1. As in the first one. Where they form the club. Same episode as the first episode in Chronological order. I'm going to watch it chronologically. I'll consider watching it via broadcast order afterwards.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't mind Mikuru as a character. It's her godawful voice. No one talks like that in real life. Rie Kugimiya for instance at least tries to talk in a natural tone, Mikuru's voice acting is so fake it's actually painful.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Episode 1. As in the first one. Where they form the club. Same episode as the first episode in Chronological order. I'm going to watch it chronologically. I'll consider watching it via broadcast order afterwards.

Episode 0 should come first either way

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Episode 0 should come first either way

I was going to, but it seemed like some sort of random omake. So I gave it a pass. It's relevant?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You know that you appear to be contradicting what you said after Aroduc's warning and are watching it the worst way?
    Aroduc wrote:
    Because after the first arc chronologically, there's pretty much no plot whatsoever and all character development comes to a complete halt.

Broadcast order avoids that by shuffling things around.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You know that you appear to be contradicting what you said after Aroduc's warning and are watching it the worst way?
    Aroduc wrote:
    Because after the first arc chronologically, there's pretty much no plot whatsoever and all character development comes to a complete halt.

Broadcast order avoids that by shuffling things around.

FIIIINE. That's why I held out so long on watching this! Aimless random adventures tend to not be my thing! But I'll give it a chance. :p

As long as it's not Seinfeld-level pointless, ala Lucky Star, I'll give something a shot.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I'm watching Burst Angel...yeah, I'm still catching up on a lot of old stuff. I love the characters but man...the story is so random.

Question is what to watch next? FMA worth the 12 discs and movie to spend the time on, or should I move into something newer?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There are two schools of thought on FMA:

The first series deviated wildly from the manga, because the manga was nowhere near done at the time (it's only now wrapping up, years later). Manga fans tend to hate the original anime for this reason. Other people think it's fine as it is.

A remake is currently airing, which redid the entire series, following the manga this time.

I never even bothered with the movie, despite liking the original anime series.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well with this thread about to die, I think it's time I made a recommendations so I can be a cool kid like everyone else. Either that, or complete my fall to the weeaboo side.

Action: Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger
    Immortal Gangsters: Baccano!
    Sports/Comedy: Cross Game
    Sports/Action: Hajime no Ippo
    What the hell?/Awesome: FLCL, Tekkon Kinkreet
    Ghibli: Princess Mononoke
    Comedy: Minami-ke (first series)
    BOO HOO: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

So good it makes up for all the ungodly tripe: Azumanga Daioh

That should cover most of my bases.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Good choice, it sucked.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Good choice, it sucked.

Wrath v Gluttony fight was beautifully animated and worth watching for that alone.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I've heard (that it sucks).

Page- your recs are in.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you kidding?

I couldn't stop watching it. It is the single best episode.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Back to Haruhi. So how does Episode 0 fit into everything? Why is it an episode 0? Apparently I should've seen it first?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Back to Haruhi. So how does Episode 0 fit into everything? Why is it an episode 0? Apparently I should've seen it first?

Just watch it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How many times did Mikuru running down the strip mall repeat itself?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So basically, I'm guessing Endless Eight was just a way to pad the season without actually putting any new content into it?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it was mostly about kicking their viewers in the nuts. Any money they saved is secondary. I don't think they got anywhere near completing the source materia.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zandracon on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Masume wrote: »
    So, I'm watching Burst Angel...yeah, I'm still catching up on a lot of old stuff. I love the characters but man...the story is so random.
    I'm not going to lie, BakuTen is pretty bad.

That one episode where they went to the theme park in the middle of the bay? Yeah, terrible.

I'll not touch how that metaplot is fairly nonsensical and comes out of practically nowhere.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I think from hearing all your opinions I'm going to skip the second season of Haruhi and just wait for the "Disappearance" OVA

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.