As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Soviet Phalla - Game Over: Capitalist Victory

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    With several requests coming to my attention about forming alliances of the lightest security, I remind you, comrades, that the rebel faction holds us at a disadvantage as we know not friend nor foe from one another, we simply are fodder to the system for the money and power we so desire.

This is my request. Find and vote for one of the rebel faction, and I shall heavily consider these offers being sent to my attention. Sadly, the coroner is the only real identifying system we have in these troubled times. Keep your thoughts public rather than silent or whispered to a certain few. Creating a public network would favor the majority and bring us more information at hand, information that is required to be given out, fellow commitee members.

Didn't make sense? I would advise us not to confide in each other via pms or in small networks. The only 100% safe network exists as the 3 member group of specials. Everyone else is on their own. We should keep our thoughts public to better root out the rebels.

Ardor on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would recommend we don't vote digger dude or dark primus to general secretary. It smellls too much like the 3 kingdoms phalla where thorgot and precisionk fought over the leadership in public while plotting together in private. It allowed them to control the game and alternate control of the leadership and prevented a viable 3rd party canidate from showing up. It might be the capitalist dogs are trying the same thing here.

I am hesitant to vote for someone just because they were a good guy in a previous game, but since there are no other logical canidates and it is between ardor and lady eri I !vote Ardor, because he did not vote for himself.

Something we definately need to know: do capitalist dogs show up as capitalist dogs when they die.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would recommend we don't vote digger dude or dark primus to general secretary. It smellls too much like the 3 kingdoms phalla where thorgot and precisionk fought over the leadership in public while plotting together in private. It allowed them to control the game and alternate control of the leadership and prevented a viable 3rd party canidate from showing up. It might be the capitalist dogs are trying the same thing here.

If we are not voting Digger Dude or DarkPrimus (both of their names start with the letter "D." Hmm, coincidence? I THINK NOT), then the only logical choice is to vote for me.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007

I am hesitant to vote for someone just because they were a good guy in a previous game, but since there are no other logical canidates and it is between ardor and lady eri I !vote Ardor, because he did not vote for himself.

I'm also going to !vote Ardor, because he was awesome in past games, and having an awesome player on the inside knowing what powers the Politburo gains is going to be invaluable. He's someone who will be able to make good use of those powers.
    Something we definately need to know: do capitalist dogs show up as capitalist dogs when they die.

This is a very good question.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Troy wrote: »
    The law of averages is hardly a law.

All I'm saying is that the % chance that DA is a special is higher than the % chance that Ardor is a special. I'm not saying not to vote for either of them, just that it isn't necessarily true that DA is a safe vote, as Ardor seemed to be implying.

Edit: For that matter, there is no way of knowing at this point if anyone is a safe vote. Btw, does anyone know what happens if the General Secretary dies while in office?

My now-standard response to this logic:

morbo.gif

STATISTICS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While I would be greatly honored to be given the chance to serve our nation, it would be the height of arrogance to nominate myself. I would merely hope that, over time, my dedicated service to the Party draws consideration.

For now, I feel I should !vote for Ardor, whose competence and dedication to rooting out infiltrators* is a credit to the entire Party and should put us on the path to a stable, glorious future.

* - except when he is one, you goddamn mole

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    If we are not voting Digger Dude or DarkPrimus (both of their names start with the letter "D." Hmm, coincidence? I THINK NOT), then the only logical choice is to vote for me.

Actually I almost put you on the list too, but digger dude and dark primus were worse, so I put them up alone instead. Maybe I should reconsider.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Damn, VH. You had time to post a pic from Futurama, but not answer El Jeffe et. al's question on if we know capitalists when they die?

:(

I would say that we would have to know, somehow, by looking at their possessions, be it their copious amounts of filthy American money, their unfiltered, capitalist Marlboro cigarettes, or their vomit-inducing Playboy magazines.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Damn, VH. You had time to post a pic from Futurama, but not answer El Jeffe et. al's question on if we know capitalists when they die?

:(

I have been reduced to et. al, when it was my question originally, what indignity!

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

Actually I almost put you on the list too, but digger dude and dark primus were worse, so I put them up alone instead. Maybe I should reconsider.
    I recommend that you reconsider and recommend me for General Secretary. I am full of communist love. I will read everyone's posts to make sure there is no suspicious activity, and if there is I will shoot them in the head. Now that is dedication to the cause!

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I !Vote Ardor because he seems to have a level head for strategy in these sorts of things.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    sup comrades, what's shakin'

tofu on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In an alternate universe, I was one of the most splendiferous leaders ever, leading in a most communistic manner. I pretended to listen to the people, and then did what was best for the nation. If elected to any position, I will do the same for great Mother Russia! We will hunt down these capitalist pigdogs.

I !vote for thorgot to lead the greatest nation on the planet to triumph over the sneaky capitalists.

COMRADES: WE WILL PREVAIL!

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So hum.

Did anyone consider that the capitlist pigs might just go ahead and start offing members of the politburo, espescially if one or two cappies get on to it? then they can control it ....

Serpent on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    With your nomination, I will ensure a !vote for Infidel will not be in vain. I know where my loyalty lies, if taking up the position will aid the motherland then I gladly would accept it.

Gnasty's ambition is ruling the man, I find it highly suspicious that he is seemingly driven personally rather than taking up the role for the good of all.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The best thing the capitalist dogs can do at this point is nominate one of their own flea-ridden scum into the governing body. I suggest that we watch closely to whom is nominated by who. I think it is sufficient to say that there is a great possibility that the spies will get at least one of their rank into a position of power, and that the voting record from day zero will be very telling of who supported who, especially once we've outed one of the scandalous dogs.

I would like to suggest an idea. Create a smaller body by limiting our votes to perhaps Three to Four people. The smaller the government the less likely it is to be corupted and from their it will have the oppourtunity to establish a working network that will exist outside of the public network of elected officials.

If people are elected into the office with 1-3 votes they should be considered suspect and or irrelivant. They should be ignored by the rest of the governing body.

If this makes no sense, or has massivly flawed logic please tear it apart, and diseregard. I came up with it while seeing patients, so I haven't put too much thought into it. The major benefit is that a group of 7 people is more likely to have a spy in it than a group of 3.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But if the smaller group does have that spy, then the spies have that much more influence. A larger body may end up diminishing the influence where a spy will have to turn several of those loyal instead of one or two.

Either way, it may just result in the same issue. However, our laws currently work toward the larger politburo. Why the push for change now, comrade?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    So hum.

Did anyone consider that the capitalist pigs might just go ahead and start offing members of the politburo, especially if one or two cappies get on to it? then they can control it ....
    You know that the Politburo is refreshed each election, right?

Actually the politburo gets refreshed every 3 days, which if the members get whittled down by the capitalist dogs means thats the capitalist dogs will have a lot of influence on it in the final day of its election cycle. Maybe we should kill the survivors of a politburo after they lose office (assuming the politburo does get massacred by the capitalists). In fact any member of the politburo who lives through multiple election cycles should be killed on principle.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ah yes good point...and I just thought of something. It may be beneficial to have a larger group then small so that determining who voted for who can be easily scrutinized. IE if 2 people vote for infidel and he is a spy those two can easily be considered suspect. However if 14 people voted for Ardor and he is a spy those 14 cannot be considered suspect, instead, bandwagoneers. I suppose this isn't really up for debate. The whole smaller politburo thing was a foolish idea. My bad.

Troy on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The best thing the capitalist dogs can do at this point is nominate one of their own flea-ridden scum into the governing body. I suggest that we watch closely to whom is nominated by who. I think it is sufficient to say that there is a great possibility that the spies will get at least one of their rank into a position of power, and that the voting record from day zero will be very telling of who supported who, especially once we've outed one of the scandalous dogs.

I would like to suggest an idea. Create a smaller body by limiting our votes to perhaps Three to Four people. The smaller the government the less likely it is to be corupted and from their it will have the oppourtunity to establish a working network that will exist outside of the public network of elected officials.

If people are elected into the office with 1-3 votes they should be considered suspect and or irrelivant. They should be ignored by the rest of the governing body.

If this makes no sense, or has massivly flawed logic please tear it apart, and diseregard. I came up with it while seeing patients, so I haven't put too much thought into it. The major benefit is that a group of 7 people is more likely to have a spy in it than a group of 3.

The flaw here is that many people are voting based on past game performance, which is understandable since at this point we don't have much else to go on. However, it's equally likely one of those players got chosen to be a capitalist as it is for any of the rest of us.

If eight players are going to be elected to the Politiburo + General Secretary no matter what we do (and hence find out what powers they have anyway), I'd rather have all of them participate once elected. The increased chance of a spy gaining some influence by including lesser-voted politiburo members is outweighed by the moderating effect on any capitalist's influence additional members will have, particularly if one of the top vote receivers happens to be a capitalist.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That thought is also flawed. If only two of our comrades put forth my name, that argument fails, because I am not a spy nor suspicious. And what if the bandwagon is started by capitalist tricksters? A strong following for one does not vindicate them, as perhaps our enemy has poisoned or duped otherwise loyal-minded soviets into unwittingly supporting their cause?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess we might start discussing who to stake already, since as we all know, filthy capitalist scum are lurking among us, seeking to undermine the glory of Soviet Phallia.

In most Phallas, the first day votes go to either complete inactives who nobody has ever heard of, or to players who are generally considered crazy or annoying. The purpose of this strategy is to minimize the potential loss to the village, because the person we vote for is likely to be innocent. But I for one believe in maximizing the potential benefit, rather than minimizing the loss; at very least we should try to find a balance between the two. So, just as with the political vote, can we keep random voting and the "vote out inactives" strategy to a minimum right from the start. The village won in Phallia because of good strategic decisions right from day one, and the lessons learned apply to Soviet Phallia as well.

Who to stake? I have an idea about that, but won't talk about it until later tonight, because it involves today's events and stuff that may happen later on before voting closes.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Since the politburo needs a majority to use its power, a bigger politburo is surely better. Its likely a revolutionary will manage to sneak in quietly, but getting lots of them in without providing lots of clues will be much more tricky.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    !vote Ardor

He did an amazing job in the Phalliad, last game I played. I'm gonna support him initially, though I think Lady Eri definitely needs to be on the Politburo. Honestly, I say either one is recommended for Leader/Politburo. They both got their shit together.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Since the politburo needs a majority to use its power, a bigger politburo is surely better. Its likely a revolutionary will manage to sneak in quietly, but getting lots of them in without providing lots of clues will be much more tricky.

I believe the politburo is limited to 7 members, simply the 7 runner ups to the general secretary vote.

Keep in mind, nobody but our moderators will know what powers the 7 politburo members receive, we only know that the rebels get to start shooting 2 loyal communists a night and we know what powers being the general secretary will bring.

More information will come out tomorrow after the general election here. Then we can start brainstorming ideas. Until then, I think we must consider our thoughts today restricted to general thoughts and strategy along with bad Soviet jokes.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Infidel wrote: »
    That thought is also flawed. If only two of our comrades put forth my name, that argument fails, because I am not a spy nor suspicious. And what if the bandwagon is started by capitalist tricksters? A strong following for one does not vindicate them, as perhaps our enemy has poisoned or duped otherwise loyal-minded soviets into unwittingly supporting their cause?

I was implying that if a spy is outed, the voting records would be telling. Not random people having just a couple votes but actually outed spies having votes.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Infidel wrote: »

I was implying that if a spy is outed, the voting records would be telling. Not random people having just a couple votes but actually outed spies having votes.

That would be rather condemning, agreed.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll side with the bigger is better crowd. It's a fair (not necessarily true, but I'll assume the worst) assumption that, with nothing to go on right now, a monster will find its way into it regardless. It's a good idea to limit what influence any one member can exert.

Elendil on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also worth noting is the crazy psychological warfare that this game has between the KGB and the monsters...

like, it's been amped up about 10x the amount of most phallas.

Serpent on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    I'll side with the bigger is better crowd. It's a fair (not necessarily true, but I'll assume the worst) assumption that, with nothing to go on right now, a monster will find its way into it regardless. It's a good idea to limit what influence any one member can exert.

Agreed. The size of the Politburo is fixed though, but what we need is to make sure it's filled with active, observant players who are able to weed out the rebel(s) who manage to weasel their way in, and keep the Buro from being influenced by them.

I'd also like to give this advice to the first Politburo: Ardor and Lady Eri are awesome, but don't follow their lead mindlessly. Either one (or both!) can be a rebel; listen to what they say, but don't let their history blind you to that possibility.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am hesitant to say this but I !vote Ardor for General Secretary. We don't really have anything to go on besides past performance right now and we just have to hope he's not a capitalist.

tofu on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I !vote for Precisionk to lead the Communist Nation

Obviously I am the best choice for this position. Why? Because I single handedly along with thorgot, dominated the G&T as a leader. I brought the enemy to their knees and brought victory to my family. I will bring victory to us comrades and rid us of these political freedom fighters.

I will rule with an iron fist and will show NO mercy.

In other news, I may not post as frequently as I normally do, due to I just got PRK eye surgery and can't see worth a damn.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    Also worth noting is the crazy psychological warfare that this game has between the KGB and the monsters...

like, it's been amped up about 10x the amount of most phallas.

Hold on there, slick, don't peg the meter on the first day. :)

It seems to me that a Phalla has a shelf life of about eight days. Ten's probably a good upper bound. Have to keep things popping.

tuxkamen on

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Agreed. The size of the Politburo is fixed though,
    Ah, I'd missed that. You're right though.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I !vote Lady Eri for General Secretary

Ardor partly became a star player in the Phalliad because of circumstance. Lady eri became a star player because she picked out spies with creepy accuracy. The general secretary is unlikely to die to the monsters, and sorry Ardor but I would rather have her live than you.

(with all this talk of star players, I think it's pretty safe to assume the monsters are going to nail lady eri and ardor if they aren't protected in some way)

Serpent on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm gonna vote for Precisionk, just because I think it'd be hilarious to have him on the Politburo with the serious players.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Agreed. The size of the Politburo is fixed though, but what we need is to make sure it's filled with active, observant players who are able to weed out the rebel(s) who manage to weasel their way in, and keep the Buro from being influenced by them.

I'd also like to give this advice to the first Politburo: Ardor and Lady Eri are awesome, but don't follow their lead mindlessly. Either one (or both!) can be a rebel; listen to what they say, but don't let their history blind you to that possibility.

I agree that we should fill the politburo with active members. We will get the most out of it AND it will allow us to more actively scrutinize their actions, hopefully indicating whether or not they should be voted for rebelism or not.

I also think the rebels would not like it if we decided to have parties and cookies since the general population is in decline. Perhaps offering more delectable treats shall lure our their rage and we can stomp them. All while enjoy said treats.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm gonna vote for Precisionk, just because I think it'd be hilarious to have him on the Politburo with the serious players.

It's cool. We could probably feed him to the dogs so there happens to be less circus music playing in the background during the meetings and more serious business occuring. Plus it means less communication to reach a majority vote.

Ardor on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

It's cool. We could probably feed him to the dogs so there happens to be less circus music playing in the background during the meetings and more serious business occuring. Plus it means less communication to reach a majority vote.

No, you don't get it. He'll be providing the circus music

I'm in a really funky mood today, so forgive me if everything I say is complete babble. I just took a really long test yesterday, so I'm brain damaged or something.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This was what I was referring to when I argued that bigger is better:

If Troy is correct, and the places don't get dished out anyway, it is possible to reduce its size.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg