As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Senator Tom Coburn thinks we should stop funding political science because "people can just watch cable news." There is something deeply ironic about a U.S. Senator not having anything but the shallowest understanding of what political science is. This is literally like saying "we don't need to fund drivers' ed, because people can just watch Nascar."

And this paragon of Oklahoma probably wonders why people think his state is full of gibbering retards. Anyhow, new GOP thread, wherein we can discuss how parody is officially dead.

Thanatos on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This guy is full of fuckery today isn't he? He's also trying to get gay people to side against healthcare reform by writing in a magazine for them. After he, y'know, says shit about how lesbianism is SO RAMPANT in Oklahoma that girls are only allowed to go to the bathroom one at a time in school.

Henroid on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God damnit Oklahoma.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fucker is up for re-election in 2010.

I mean, there's no way he'll ever lose, but I'm gonna be contributing to his opponent, whoever the fuck it is.

Thanatos on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This goes hand in hand with right-wing states, mostly the south, not requiring highschool classes on basic government. The less people know about government, the easier it is to lie to them about it.

Edit - I'm with Than on that. Do we know who his opponents potentially will be?

Henroid on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is this the thread where we talk about John McCain's recently announced Internet Freedom Act?

Here's a hint.... the act itself is the exact opposite of everything its name implies.

Taramoor on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    After he, y'know, says shit about how lesbianism is SO RAMPANT in Oklahoma

:winky:

I sent this article to some of my friends who happen to be Poli Sci majors... I can't wait to hear their responses to it. Seriously though, doesn't the GoP have more to gain by cutting Poli Sci funding? A less politically intelligent populace is much easier to manipulate and whip into nationalistic frenzy.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited October 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Is this the thread where we talk about John McCain's recently announced Internet Freedom Act?

Here's a hint.... the act itself is the exact opposite of everything its name implies.

From the article:
    -- "As the FCC's Broadband Task Force said recently, it could take $350 billion to build next-generation broadband across America, and most of that money will have to come from the private sector and companies like Comcast. We continue to hope that any rules adopted by the commission will not harm the investment and innovation that has made the Internet what it is today and that will make it even greater tomorrow." -- Statement from David Cohen, executive vice president at Comcast
    "That's a real nice internet you got, there. It would be a real shame if something were to... happen... to it."

Thanatos on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

From the article:
    -- "As the FCC's Broadband Task Force said recently, it could take $350 billion to build next-generation broadband across America, and most of that money will have to come from the private sector and companies like Comcast. We continue to hope that any rules adopted by the commission will not harm the investment and innovation that has made the Internet what it is today and that will make it even greater tomorrow." -- Statement from David Cohen, executive vice president at Comcast
    "That's a real nice internet you got, there. It would be a real shame if something were to... happen... to it."

You know what would also be a real shame? Nationalizing the infrastructure responsible for the internet as it is too crucial for the U.S. and world economies to be run roughshod over by companies trying to make a quick buck.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

From the article:

I remain terrified that they're in talks to buy NBC, so that mostly belongs in the various show threads. Would probably fuck with MSNBC and make it Fox Lite though, knowing Comcast.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited October 2009
    We've already given telcos and cable companies billions of dollars to lay fiber optic cabling all over the place. The infrastructure has already been bought and paid for but its construction was entrusted to the people that have the least amount of interest in seeing it succeed... awesome.

wazilla on
    edited October 2009
    wazilla wrote: »
    We've already given telcos and cable companies billions of dollars to lay fiber optic cabling all over the place. The infrastructure has already been bought and paid for but its construction was entrusted to the people that have the least amount of interest in seeing it succeed... awesome.

Yeah I thought Bush already granted the money for internet infrastructure to be boosted across the nation. I guess what one says they've done is different than what's actually being done?

The day Tyler, TX gets broadband internet to its outlying houses that have the city address but aren't in city limits, I'll know that some effort is being made about this.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009

Yeah I thought Bush already granted the money for internet infrastructure to be boosted across the nation. I guess what one says they've done is different than what's actually being done?

The day Tyler, TX gets broadband internet to its outlying houses that have the city address but aren't in city limits, I'll know that some effort is being made about this.

ISPs don't want widespread Last Mile fiber optic penetration. Right now with current business models (i.e. the 'unlimited' plans they sell with their normal cable/DSL) they would only rake in money hand over fist. Now, if they were to change the game a bit by eliminating net neutrality and maybe getting the American consumer used to some type of metered plan, then by all means they would be raking in money hand over fist in your anus.

wazilla on
    edited October 2009
    Best GOP thing currently: the ongoing civil war in NY-23. The conservative base has declared war on Newt Gingrich for endorsing the Republican candidate, the Republican candidate hates the Weekly Standard, Sarah Palin came in today to endorse the Conservative Party candidate. All of this has let to a Democrat being in position to win the seat narrowly according to recent polls. The last time a Democrat took parts of this particular district, the Republican Party had just been formed.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009

ISPs don't want widespread Last Mile fiber optic penetration. Right now with current business models (i.e. the 'unlimited' plans they sell with their normal cable/DSL) they would only rake in money hand over fist. Now, if they were to change the game a bit by eliminating net neutrality and maybe getting the American consumer used to some type of metered plan, then by all means they would be raking in money hand over fist in your anus.

I'm not even asking for fiber optic availability all around. DSL / Cable availability should be more widespread than it is. I realize the USA has a greater landmass to fill, but we're seriously behind other developed nations on this shit. If anything, it's in these companies' best interest to expand the availability of those two techs because they'll increase their customer base.

Ideally, while that happens, the metro areas could get wired in on fiber optic. But I digress.

So, it seems like the healthcare reform isn't going the way the GOP wants it to. This week the focus has shifted to the net neutrality thing, which isn't even an issue because when Obama spoke of internet security he was speaking nationally for the most part, like keeping the government's end secure. He did mention net neutrality, but he said it needs to stay in place. So we all know what the talking points will be for the next month or so.

Of course, this is essentially the GOP picking a fight with the internet by proxy (so to speak). Just wait until they say the wrong things. 4chan is going to have a field day.

Henroid on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senator Tom Coburn thinks we should stop funding political science because "people can just watch cable news." There is something deeply ironic about a U.S. Senator not having anything but the shallowest understanding of what political science is. This is literally like saying "we don't need to fund drivers' ed, because people can just watch Nascar."

And this paragon of Oklahoma probably wonders why people think his state is full of gibbering retards. Anyhow, new GOP thread, wherein we can discuss how parody is officially dead.

Man, Think Progress didn't even cover the fact that Coburn said that funding Political Science with taxpayer money is going to "waterboard our children" and "flood them with debt"

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited October 2009
    It's less work to gouge your current customers than do the work the tax payers have paid you to do and get new ones through expanded infrastructure. After all, more customers means more DPI devices and traffic shaping devices... those things are pricey!

wazilla on
    edited October 2009
    This is the second time I've seen waterboarding brought up tonight. In relation to children.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Ahahahahahahahahahahah!

Also, is that state senator really that concerned about the Civil War reigniting? Sending the National Guard seems a bit extreme.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    This is the second time I've seen waterboarding brought up tonight. In relation to children.
    Yeah, I picked this up off a "related story" from that link.

Thanatos on
    edited October 2009
    It's less work to gouge your current customers than do the work the tax payers have paid you to do and get new ones through expanded infrastructure. After all, more customers means more DPI devices and traffic shaping devices... those things are pricey!

Goes hand in hand with how shitty the GOP tends to be regarding highway and road infrastructure. Don't build new ones. Barely patch what's there. Gouge the price on gas.

No wait, the internet is a series of tubes.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Y'know, on the expanded fiber-optic infrastructure thing: I honestly think it's a waste of money.

The vast majority of America already has high-speed internet. The parts that don't are in the fucking boonies, and fucking expensive to build infrastructure to reach. With the advancement of wireless technology, I think they'll be covered in the next decade anyhow by wireless internet solutions that aren't anywhere near as labor- or equipment-intensive at a fraction of the price.

Thanatos on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Ahahahahahahahahahahah!

Also, is that state senator really that concerned about the Civil War reigniting? Sending the National Guard seems a bit extreme.

That is delicious!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited October 2009
    Ahahahahahahahahahahah!

Y'know what's sad? Because those surveys weren't read, the messages regarding how the questions are formed will never reach the people they were meant to. I'm glad that there's more evidence of Republican constituents (I learned that word this year yay) getting fed up with the party for sane reasons.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Y'know, on the expanded fiber-optic infrastructure thing: I honestly think it's a waste of money.

The vast majority of America already has high-speed internet. The parts that don't are in the fucking boonies, and fucking expensive to build infrastructure to reach. With the advancement of wireless technology, I think they'll be covered in the next decade anyhow by wireless internet solutions that aren't anywhere near as labor- or equipment-intensive at a fraction of the price.

I would love to agree with you but I am seriously worried about what is going on with the spectra that the FCC auctioned off last year. AT&T and Verizon bought up most of the available UHF spectra which would be most suitable for widespread broadband Internet. These are the same people that fuck you over on minutes, text messaging, broadband access on your phone, your home phone, etc. etc.

wazilla on
    edited October 2009

Fiber-optic specifically would be super expensive to do now anywhere. Somewhere down the line, like a decade or two, I'd like to see it a bit more commercially available. I have a thing against wireless computer equipment, especially when speed (either up/down rate or ping rate) matters. I mean, I can get behind broadcasting a wireless signal that people can tap into on a commercial level, that's cool. But even that has to get wired to somewhere. And maybe allow people to pay to get wired in directly.

This is starting to lean into more "another thread" territory, since there's plenty of options and methods available to it.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009

I would love to agree with you but I am seriously worried about what is going on with the spectra that the FCC auctioned off last year. AT&T and Verizon bought up most of the available UHF spectra which would be most suitable for widespread broadband Internet. These are the same people that fuck you over on minutes, text messaging, broadband access on your phone, your home phone, etc. etc.

I'm already doing my part to make sure people I know understand what net neutrality is, and urging them to make sure people they know understand what it is. If anything, the GOP would fight against it because anything that allows for the big companies to make more money is good to them. Fuck paying premiums to access internet content.

Henroid on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

I'm not even asking for fiber optic availability all around. DSL / Cable availability should be more widespread than it is. I realize the USA has a greater landmass to fill, but we're seriously behind other developed nations on this shit. If anything, it's in these companies' best interest to expand the availability of those two techs because they'll increase their customer base.

Ideally, while that happens, the metro areas could get wired in on fiber optic. But I digress.

So, it seems like the healthcare reform isn't going the way the GOP wants it to. This week the focus has shifted to the net neutrality thing, which isn't even an issue because when Obama spoke of internet security he was speaking nationally for the most part, like keeping the government's end secure. He did mention net neutrality, but he said it needs to stay in place. So we all know what the talking points will be for the next month or so.

Of course, this is essentially the GOP picking a fight with the internet by proxy (so to speak). Just wait until they say the wrong things. 4chan is going to have a field day.

Jesus, that's just.... staggering, to think what a united, seriously pissed off internet group could do. I mean, a couple dozen of us got pissed off enough to make a political attack ad. What would hundreds, or even thousands of goons do?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Jesus, that's just.... staggering, to think what a united, seriously pissed off internet group could do. I mean, a couple dozen of us got pissed off enough to make a political attack ad. What would hundreds, or even thousands of goons do?

Well, last fall about ten of them wandering into the depths of Freeper-ville to document all the insane things the Freeper running for Congress had posted and then sent it to local Chicago TV where it got aired and she lost even more horribly than Republicans usually do in that district.

They're a brave lot over there.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009

Well remember not too long ago that an error occurred at AT&T and, even after the error was corrected and explained, they kept the fury going.

Not that I'm disapproving, exactly. AT&T isn't the best of companies. And the error seemed a little... dumb. Like the 'error' at Amazon regarding books by homosexual writers.

Henroid on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Is it a bad thing that I now automatically associate a bill supporting 'freedom' or 'neutrality' or the like as doing the exact opposite?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Is it a bad thing that I now automatically associate a bill supporting 'freedom' or 'neutrality' or the like as doing the exact opposite?

Neutrality is Bias
    Freedom is Slavery

Taramoor on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Yes. It is also, seeing as you live in America, desolatingly ironic.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why are the GOP afraid of lesbians anyway - lesbians are the best at everything, including parenting and not getting STDs. Whenever anybody complains about gay people you tend to find that whatever they're complaining about doesn't apply to lesbians, and then they feel silly :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whenever anybody complains about gay people you tend to find that they're ignorant morons.

fixed?

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Whenever anybody complains about gay people you tend to find that they're about as valuable to society as klan members.

fixed?

Fixed.

Society can only progress once we start seeing homophobia and racism as identical and interchangeable.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Best GOP thing currently: the ongoing civil war in NY-23. The conservative base has declared war on Newt Gingrich for endorsing the Republican candidate, the Republican candidate hates the Weekly Standard, Sarah Palin came in today to endorse the Conservative Party candidate. All of this has let to a Democrat being in position to win the seat narrowly according to recent polls. The last time a Democrat took parts of this particular district, the Republican Party had just been formed.

The R in the race is really on the moderate side and I feel I should encourage this behavior when I see it from the R party.....then she said "She's always been a fiscal conservative." and "She opposes repealing the Bush tax cuts."

So.....fuck her doublethink.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

embarrass themselves

i say this not from cynicism but from experience

also i'm still sorta-kinda-not really sure that obama will at least take some kind of stand on net neutrality, because that's one of the big hot-button issues among the young people who got him into office

Rust on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My country depresses me.

SkyGheNe on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is a couple days old, but it's prime facepalming territory.

South Carolina Republicans Use Jew Stereotype to Defend DeMint
    Last week, State Senator Bakari Sellars wrote in The State that United States Senator Jim DeMint, R-S.C., had failed to do enough to get federal funding for the state. On Sunday, a couple of South Carolina Country Republican Chairmen defended DeMint in a joint letter to a local newspaper where they resorted to the stereotype of penny-pinching Jews to make their point.
    "There is a saying that the Jews who are wealthy got that way not by watching dollars, but instead by taking care of the pennies and the dollars taking care of themselves," Ulmer and Merwin wrote in their letter. "By not using earmarks to fund projects for South Carolina and instead using actual bills, DeMint is watching our nation's pennies and trying to preserve our country's wealth and our economy's viability to give all an opportunity to succeed."

KalTorak on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    My country depresses me.

Cheer up, the retarded party is marginalized right now.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
This discussion has been closed.