As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My very own save crystal.

TennyTenny Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
forestcrystaldiscovery.jpg

The save point I built in my basement.

Really it is matte-board hot-glued to a wire frame, lit from the interior. The above photo was also slightly shopped. Here it is for real.

low-fullshot.jpg

Tell me what you think.

Tenny on

• Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think I want to see some other angles to get a better sense of the shape of it - because this is very cool.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    U got it.

low-upleft.jpg

closeup.jpg

Also have some longer exposures.

high_upleft.jpg

high_fullshot.jpg

Tenny on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dude, you can save the fuck out of your game with that.

But, on the downside, I don't see any sort of rhythm to it. As it is now, it's just sort of a blob without any kind of interesting structure to it. However, I like the idea behind it.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think this is definitely something that would improve with actually "experiencing" it - walking around the piece, seeing it from all sides and distances. It does feel almost random, like Metalbourne said, but I can pick out a progression from larger polys to smaller ones as you move from bottom to top. I think it's a pretty sweet concept, and one you could do again and again, seeing how well it might turn out. Good stuff, man.

iglidante on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    With something this cool, I almost feel like a dick for criticizing it. But apart from sort of resembling the inside of a geode, it seems more like a magma blob than a crystal. That is, is doesn't resemble the cleavage type of any crystalline rock.

That's not to say it isn't awesome, though! Could it be suspended by wires instead of a stand to give it the free-floating appearance of the pshops?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes the blob remark is very true. This is actually the first in a series of eight different crystal lamps. I think I find some rhythm (still vaguely bloblike) in my more recent ones. No nice photos of those thought.

He's some semi-nice photos of a couple of the others.

DoubleRedGreen.jpg

Falcon.jpg

Fire.jpg

Tenny on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you were decorating a wall I think it would make a pretty good texture.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those give me a very sci-fi egg-sack spiders-are-going-to-burst-out vibe. But I like them. The hanging ones look cooler.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yea I agree. These were created simply out of my love of paper. I've gotten pretty focused on the triangle and it's versatility. It's ability to improvise with itself to create this planar surface has been a huge driving force in alot of my work. The crystal comparison wasen't really made untill well after several of these had been made. But my love of FF keeps it going haha.

Thanks for all the great crits guys. This is awesome. Keep them coming yes please.

I'm going to try and activily emulate a crystaline pattern in the next one of these. The people have spoken.

Tenny on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You should make one and use those cool colored LED christmas lights inside instead. There's some that fade in and out and that would look bad ass.

These are still pretty damn cool though, I've been desiging a "lamp" for a while here, so seeing these lets me know I'm nto alone in the lighting dept.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Don't use a fading LED, they're tacky. Just as a counter suggestion. ;D

I like it!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've been meaning to play around with other light sources. I'd like to get my hands on some expensive rental party lights. Mostly just to see what it would look like. Strobes too maybe.

Tenny on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These are pretty badass. If nobody has already suggested it, you could make a mint selling Andross lamps.

assist06_070828.jpg

Do it!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can we see the construction? Without the lights.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hmm... Not alot of photos with them dim. I have one taken with a flash. My camera died.

8518_162369383360_500908360_2520121.jpg

Lots of other stuff.

Tenny on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh my god
    i love this stuff!

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ha ha thank you. I have most of my work/possetions crammed into one corner due to me sharing my home with a rabbit.

Tenny on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do not doubt that some trendy music venues, bars, or artsy city folk would pay money for these sorts of things if you used high-enough quality materials. also, I like the idea of not seeing the base; if it's light enough it could be suspended from a wall with a horizontal base, which would look cool. the ceiling ones are good too.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    post some more things that you do

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    hmm ok here goes

Froggog1.jpg

Froggog costume.

Froggog2.jpg

I have another one of these in the works, should be done in a month or so.

steel man. life size

n500908360_311705_6621.jpg

X-ray diving board. Steel wire with stretched nylon. poor photo. The organs on the interior not very visible, they are under normal lighting situations.

8518_162369418360_500908360_2520126.jpg

Silly mask

Mask4.jpg

Nesting tables

Table.jpg

lots of stuff still to be photographed. Hope fully soon.

oh and heres my super complicated and barely coherent artist statment. think of it more like a riddle.

Each piece realized is an ad-hoc event structure which can be repeated with different results. Each sculpture implies a construction method that can be directed to perform specific tasks or optimized to capture peculiar behaviors. Sculpture as a situated process of material transformations. Form generated from geometric growth and [discrete?] modification of material. Each material implies its own logic and aids the creation of artifacts from a shared internal world.

have fun ha

Tenny on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    I do not doubt that some trendy music venues, bars, or artsy city folk would pay a mint for these

Fixed a little.

I really like the really tall one. Unfortunate that the photo of that one is pretty poor :)

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These are pretty badass. If nobody has already suggested it, you could make a mint selling Andross lamps.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/images/assist06/assist06_070828.jpg

Do it!

Well I've figured out my Halloween costume

Fugitive on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    These are really great!

Food on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you should post a picture of your rabbit

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    8518_162369368360_500908360_2520119.jpg

Done.

Tenny on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh my god I love this thread now

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AWWWW. Moar.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    8518_162369363360_500908360_2520118.jpg

bam

8518_162369423360_500908360_2520127.jpg

bam

Tenny on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just a thought...

The thing about a crystal is that it is a regular, orderly, repeating pattern. For example:
    FCC.jpg
    This is a Face Centered Cubic crystalline structure, such as that which an elemental metal like gold might take. This pattern repeats over and over again, and that's why it's called a crystalline structure.

snowflake1.jpg
    This is (obviously) a snowflake. It's also a crystal because it has a pattern that repeats radially.

Obviously crystals aren't ever perfect, but your "save crystal" has no discernible pattern. It does not repeat, nor is there any clear unit cell crystal that can be pulled away and seen repeated throughout the structure.

I don't want to sound like I'm belittling your concept (I'm not trying to, actually I like it a lot). I'm not an artsy person so I'm not exactly sure of the naming scheme for things like this either. But it's not really a crystal. Maybe there's another name you could choose?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    you can buy a save crystal to use it as a reference/model if you really want to make a save crystal lamp that looks similar to it

which is basically cheap sparkly glass

http://www.myimportstore.com/store/images/Accessories/FF12SaveCrystalNecklace.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love the idea behind the save crystal but it doesn't really... look like a save crystal. Is it based off of any game in particular that I just haven't played?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Just a thought...

The thing about a crystal is that . . .

shut yo mouth.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This looks nothing like a save crystal from a game.

Oh wait, I don't care.

Awesome work.

Jake! on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tenny wrote: »
    Froggog1.jpg

Fucking creepy as shit.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    blahblah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1. Make matt board lamps
    2. Sell lamps
    3. ????
    4. PROFIT

Your work is as amazing as your bunny is cute.

blah on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would absolutely love to see this concept applied to a traditional "crystal" shape - several regularish spires extending at angles from a flat surface. Or maybe the inside of a geode, like a giant amethyst.

quartz-watch-crystal.jpg

And the rabbit makes this thread even better. Does it roam free? One of the things that always kept me from buying a rabbit was that it seems like you have to keep them in cages all the time.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    are rabbits good pets?
    i want one but my boyfriend won't let me

beavotron on
  • Options
    LachoneusLachoneus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tenny wrote: »
    Froggog1.jpg

Fucking creepy as shit.

yes, but i would buy this.

its freaking awesome.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I love the feet on it. It's like a demented gingerbread robot ragdoll.

iglidante on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    are rabbits good pets?
    i want one but my boyfriend won't let me

i have owned many rabbits
    and they very much are
    if you train them well enough
    they can use litter boxes and run around the house

mully on