As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX...dessert? (nixed)

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in PAX Archive
I'd just like to get some kind of measure of interest on this and opinions:

Boston has this restaurant (now with 4 locations?) called Finale and basically what they do is elaborate and delicious desserts that are big enough to be a meal (depending on how big your stomach is). Here are the general factors:
  • At least one location looks like it's within walking distance from the convention center
  • Not sure of the pricing, I could look into it more if people were interested in the idea
  • There is a possibility of renting the whole restaurant out for between 50-100 people
  • They could give us some "real" dinner food, but most of the cost would probably be the dessert part
Is this an idea that people would be interested in? Do people have an opinion on whether or not they're worth it? Is this a decent idea in general?

It's kind of different than the PAX Prime Pre-PAX dinner idea, I mean...it's sort of a diabetic's nightmare, it's just something I was thinking about.

Hypatia on

• DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like fun, but I'm going to wait until I see the other Pre-PAX ideas before committing. It doesn't help that I work at a dessert shop.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Magic AndyMagic Andy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When more details come about I'll check in on this a little more =)

Magic Andy on
    All life is an illusion.
    Only when you realise this can you appreciate what is truly real.
    Twitter
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm definitely interested in this. Maybe a Pre-PAX dinner can be nearby the closer location to PAX and the people interested in the Dessert can migrate over.

Rdr on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This sounds like a great idea: the spirit of the Pre-PAX Dinner for prime, but different in a cool way. Don't think I can come, as the train gets in late (as usual). But it's still awesome.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'm just not the target audience for this kind of thing, but the idea of a full meal-sized dessert makes my stomach turn.
    i'm in

nerve on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man bad idea. I need to lose weight not gain it :(

We shall see.

Goose! on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I can and cannot do this. I can do this because I'm young, and my metabolism is still in good shape. But I can't, because I'm young and therefore dependant on my parents money, and after my mom pays for the plane ticket and admission, I doubt she'd pay for me to eat an expensive dessert (no matter how awesome it is).

Pablo the Penguin on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What if we did both a Dessert and a Dinner? I know that there will be different train schedules and flight schedules, and then people can just sign up for the whole thing and make whatever they can. You could even call it the PAX East Progressive Dining Experience. (This is kinda based off of an idea from my days in a Baptist church youth group: apps at one house, salad/soup at another, entree at one more, and desert in one central location.)

It would be a bit pricey which is why it's more of a suggestion than a proposal.

feitocomfruta on
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I for one would be into this. My fiancee would gladly punt kittens for Finale; true, its a bit more than one would pay for dessert, but they are really good at what they do, and you get beyond your money's worth. Port flights aren't bad either =P.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    By the by I put a marker on my POI map (sig) for this place and the proposed event.

Goose! on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd definitely go to this. If it was Thursday, anyways.

Antithesis on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All right, since interest seems pretty positive I'm working on the details with Finale, it might still fall through depending on what the guy's reaction is, but it sounds like it's worth a shot :)

Hypatia on
    edited October 2009
    The progressive dining experience thing is a very cool idea. Like a bar crawl, only with awesome food. However, I imagine it would be too costly to work. $30-$40 is about as high as you can go without alienating too many people because of cost. $37.50 for the Post-PAX Dinner back in September was a bit of a stretch. The ideal price point, I'd say, is $30. If there are 2+ restaurants involved, it would be very difficult to keep the cost under control.

Not impossible, though. By all means, investigate the hell out of it.

Arco on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are plans for a pre-PAX dinner and the price aim is between $30-40. We started discussing this at the first meet-up and probably will talk about it more when we meet again in November. The goal is to also have this end early enough so as not to interfere with the bar crawl.

VisionOfClarity on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, all right, I'll stop pursuing the dessert thing then, I just missed any mention of a pre-pax dinner, thanks for letting me know! :)

Hypatia on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can do the desert thing but it sounded like you didn't realize there is going to be a kickoff dinner as well.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    Don't let the dessert idea die. Hell, I'll steal it from you if you don't want it anymore. If the traditional Pre-PAX Dinner is already in the works, retool the idea. It's great.

Arco on
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps not the best thread to post this in, but it's related and it's too early/premature to start up another thread.

So, in the spirit of the hugely successful Post-PAX Party Dinner back at Prime (thanks, everyone), I'm considering doing another event with dessert instead of real food. Eating seemed to take a major back seat to the partying at te PPPD, and really, I'm perfectly fine with that. I would much rather have a huge room with projectors and other fun stuff, where people are mingling and partying, than a sit down dinner with less fun but more food.

Dessert would give people something delicious to put in their mouths (that's what she said), but it wouldn't be the main focus, which would make room for other fun stuff. Plus, desserts are cheap, which would mean more money to fund that fun stuff.

So, in summary, how does that sound? A Post-PAX Party with desserts?

Arco on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a good idea to me. The food really did seem to get in the way at the Taphouse, and I know I actually ended up skipping it so I could play more Rock Band.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • YanagiYanagi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know I'm coming in late on this thread but....

Finale is full of delicious goodness... chocolate delicious goodness. The nice thing is they have some sampler plates that folks can split.

My mate and I would definitely be up for this!

Yanagi on
    Yanagi Drathir
    (Kara aka the girl @ Pax with the wrist brace - MMT, pre/post dinner/party, boardgame tourny)
  • LisaPlaysGamesLisaPlaysGames Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What time is this going down anyway? I'd love to join but our flight doesn't land until 9 or so. Would we be able to make it for late dessert/drinks abound?

LisaPlaysGames on
    edited December 2009
    Pre-PAX Dessert isn't happening, due to the conflict of interests with the Pre-PAX Dinner.

However, I'm still kicking around the idea of a Post-PAX Dessert Party, which would happen after the expo closes on Sunday. I'll start putting in a more organized planning effort after the New Year.

Arco on
  • anotha whiteboyanotha whiteboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hey guys can i come...? :0)

anotha whiteboy on
    AHHHHHHHHHH IM A CHILD