As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• t2kizzlet2kizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone know where I can buy one of those or who makes them? I need a bed lol.

t2kizzle on
    Twitter
    !HufflepuFF 2009 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Team Green 2010 Pokecrawl
    XB Live Tag: t2kizz
  • SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're thinking of a Sumo.
    https://www.sumolounge.com/
    They're pretty expensive, but well worth it.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
    edited October 2009
    I don't see the flat pillows on their site though. Maybe I'm missing something?

t2kizzle on
    Twitter
    edited October 2009
    Nevermind I see it. Thanks!

t2kizzle on
    Twitter
  • BonklesBonkles Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    How can I volunteer to help out with the Expo/ Become an enforcer? I'm wouldn't miss the opportunity to help out- but I can't find a 'become an enforcer' link/information anywhere.

Bonkles on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Information will appear online soon...

In the past Tycho has put out the call in a news post on the main page.

Stay tuned.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Khoo says it should be on the store in about 2 weeks.

See post 5 and 6 in this thread.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • thefilthefil Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I booked with the Sheraton Boston through the Pax East site, and didn't get a confirmation email or anything... anyone else experience this?

thefil on
  • BonklesBonkles Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    heels wrote: »
    Information will appear online soon...

In the past Tycho has put out the call in a news post on the main page.

Stay tuned.
    heels- thanks. I figured that Tycho would post like before- I just wanted to make darn sure it hadn't somehow slipped by me!

Bonkles on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, just curious, are cameras allowed in PAX if we're not from the media? I mean stuff like amateur video cameras and digital cameras.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    So, just curious, are cameras allowed in PAX if we're not from the media? I mean stuff like amateur video cameras and digital cameras.

Yes.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Awesome, thanks. :)

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm a first time PAX'er and if I missed the area where the answer to my question can be found I apologize. I've seen a few posts about the cookie brigade in Prime and was wondering if they are going to do it for East? I'd love to sign up if they are, my hubby and I are arriving mid to late afternoon Thurs and would like to help. Thank you.

Rebecca on
    edited October 2009
    Rebecca wrote: »
    I'm a first time PAX'er and if I missed the area where the answer to my question can be found I apologize. I've seen a few posts about the cookie brigade in Prime and was wondering if they are going to do it for East? I'd love to sign up if they are, my hubby and I are arriving mid to late afternoon Thurs and would like to help. Thank you.

Thats an unofficial community event, keep an eye out in the forums for the thread if/when someone decides to lead that up.

BigRed on
  • Killgore9998Killgore9998 Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    So my wife and I each, independently, just bought a pair of tickets to PAX-East to give each other as a gift.. for an accidental total of 4 tickets >_< Sort of a 'gift of the magi' moment..

They say 'no exchange or refunds'... but damn it, there's got to be something we can do. Otherwise that's $90 down the drain for nothing.

Anyone have any idea what we can do?

Thanks...

Killgore9998 on
    edited October 2009
    You could offer them for sale on the forums.

BigRed on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So my wife and I each, independently, just bought a pair of tickets to PAX-East to give each other as a gift.. for an accidental total of 4 tickets >_< Sort of a 'gift of the magi' moment..

They say 'no exchange or refunds'... but damn it, there's got to be something we can do. Otherwise that's $90 down the drain for nothing.

Anyone have any idea what we can do?

Thanks...

Call them and ask them for a refund. I can't promise anything but when my bf and I got tix to Prime two years ago and he ended up having a summer class he couldn't miss at the same time they refunded us the money because we asked pretty far ahead of time. Just be nice.

VisionOfClarity on
  • grkpektisgrkpektis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are the major video game companies going to be there like EA, Rockstar, e.t.c. Also will there be exclusive demos of upcoming games or even demos of games that aren't out yet. I have been to a lot of conventions in the east coast and all of them sucked because of they didn't have these (VGXPO for example). Also You have stated that there will be more locations can you be more specific (please please say NY).

grkpektis on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    The exhibitor list has yet to be released (we probably won't see that until after the new year), but PAX is known to have an exhibitor hall with major industry booths. The booths typically feature demos of their upcoming games' as for exclusivity, I can't say.

Also who stated more locations and when? As of right now, there is PAX Prime in Seattle and PAX East in Boston. If another PAX is brought into play, it is doubtful it will be in New York, as there is already a PAX in Boston (unless PAX East doesn't work out in Boston, but I don't really see that happening). It will probably be at least a few years before a third PAX is considered, though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited October 2009
    grkpektis wrote: »
    Are the major video game companies going to be there like EA, Rockstar, e.t.c. Also will there be exclusive demos of upcoming games or even demos of games that aren't out yet. I have been to a lot of conventions in the east coast and all of them sucked because of they didn't have these (VGXPO for example). Also You have stated that there will be more locations can you be more specific (please please say NY).

From what I've heard they really aren't considering another location now because they don't want to spread themselves too thin. They've also said pretty much given a solid NO to NY for several reasons. They picked Boston for some very specific reasons (location, cost, transport, etc) and they're pretty confident Boston will be a success. If they didn't think they could get as many awesome vendors for East as they do for Prime they wouldn't do it, they don't want to put on a half-ass show and they teamed up with Reed because they know what they're doing.

VisionOfClarity on
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So one of the (many) things that made me quite sad that I'm too broke to get out to Seattle for PAX was missing the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. Have the organizers of that fine event said whether they are coming to PAX-East/interested in running another one here? Boston is a fine place for a bar crawl.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
    edited October 2009
    Atlus has one in the works.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But it won't be Hogwarts themed. That will be exclusive to Seattle.

Atlus Parker on
  • CapCap Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    raist222 wrote: »
    Well due to time constraints our group will be driving, the only problem we are having is finding anything near reasonable parking, any suggestions?
    There is no such thing as rational parking is Boston. Good luck to you.

As someone from around the area I recommend parking at the nearest train station and taking the train downtown. Of course this is only for people not directly in Boston

Cap on
    edited October 2009
    Cap wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    raist222 wrote: »
    Well due to time constraints our group will be driving, the only problem we are having is finding anything near reasonable parking, any suggestions?
    There is no such thing as rational parking is Boston. Good luck to you.

As someone from around the area I recommend parking at the nearest train station and taking the train downtown. Of course this is only for people not directly in Boston

As someone in the city if you need to park PM me and I will give you a run down of the best places to park on particular days because it's not that bad, especially on Sat and Sun.

VisionOfClarity on
  • AleemaAleema Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay. I have some questions. :)

- At this moment, I can't find any friends willing to come with me to the event. There's still some time, so I might, but ... how enjoyable can PAX be by yourself? Is it easy to make friends?

- In regards to making friends there ... I'm 23, is that below the average age of attendents? Do many girls come, so I can make friends easier (since I am one)?

- Is there any reason to believe that PAX East would be any less cool than the "official" PAX in Seattle? Like, would less popular bands perform, or would there be less workshops?

>_> Sorry if these are stupid questions! I've never been to a PAX, and I'm seriously hoping to go to PAX East next year.

Aleema on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you think you'll have trouble making friends if you come alone just take a look at MoeFwacky.

He has no friends and yet everyone pretends to like him for a whole week every summer.

Atlus Parker on
    edited October 2009
    - A good amount of people go alone every year and they usually make friends, if you're really that concerned then lurk more, post more and make friends

- All sorts of people attend, PA draws a diverse crowd to the their site

- Why do so many people think Penny Arcade would put on a half-ass, crappy show just for the sake of expansion

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    If you think you'll have trouble making friends if you come alone just take a look at MoeFwacky.

He has no friends and yet everyone pretends to like him for a whole week every summer.
    You're such a jerk, you know that?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As for being 23, you can expect at least another 8 of us there to be around that age lol. I feel that we'll probably be under the average age, but :shrug:

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
    edited October 2009
    the average age is mid twenties I believe so you guys arent that far off.

BigRed on
  • ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aleema wrote: »
    Okay. I have some questions. :)

- At this moment, I can't find any friends willing to come with me to the event. There's still some time, so I might, but ... how enjoyable can PAX be by yourself? Is it easy to make friends?

- In regards to making friends there ... I'm 23, is that below the average age of attendents? Do many girls come, so I can make friends easier (since I am one)?

- Is there any reason to believe that PAX East would be any less cool than the "official" PAX in Seattle? Like, would less popular bands perform, or would there be less workshops?

>_> Sorry if these are stupid questions! I've never been to a PAX, and I'm seriously hoping to go to PAX East next year.

Word-of-mouth by people I trust (Rym and Scott from GEEKNIGHTS, a really quality podcast), is that PAX is consistently one of the most amazing and friendly conventions all around.

I'll be 22, female, and attending alongside my younger brother (18.) There will be girls there. At least one of them will be younger than you.

I highly doubt it will be less cool. I've never been to a PAX myself, and I'm stupid-excited about it.

My general experience with conventions is that they occupy this sort of liminal space where you can revel in the fact that you, and everyone else around you, is an enormous geek/nerd/gamer. You are among Your Tribe. Con-folk are friendly, and I look forward to the friends I'll make and the people I'll meet.

Good ways to make friends:

If you arrive on Thursday, see if some sort of pre-con event is going on that you want to go to. Dinners, tours, all sorts of things seem to be going on.

Go out to dinner that evening with people you met during the day.

There will be lines! Strike up conversations in them!

There will be rooms full of board games and tabletop rpgs and many, many, other spaces. PAX is about social gaming and geekery. We're all here to meet people, and we're here for multiplayer gaming, yes?

Heck, I'm not even a video gamer, that's more my brother's thing. But concerts, fellow geeks, and tabletop roleplaying? Board games? I'm all over that.

If you're not sure whether or not you can convince other people to come, get reservations at a hotel where the single and the double cost the same, get the double.

Zuki on
  • AleemaAleema Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow! Thanks for the quality responses. That definitely puts me at ease. :)

Aleema on
  • techknowgntechknowgn Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    As an antendee of PAX 08, a gaming journalist, a gaming fan, and a recent transplant to Boston; i couldn't be more thrilled for PAX East 2010!!! I live about 4 train stops out on the green line, so I've got an easy path in and out. if the weathers good, i might even ride my bike.

Beacause I'm covering the event for the site, I won't be volunteering, but I'll be glad to answer Boston questions as best I can. The two i can answer up front:

1. HOTELS: BOOK NOW. NONE (OF ANY WORTH STAYING AT) ARE EVEN CLOSE TO CHEAP. There are some campgrounds on the outskirts of the city if you really want to save money.

2. PARKING: GOOD LUCK, YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT. The Convention center has parking, as do other buildings in the area, but they are extremely expensive in the downtown area, especially during a convention. Except Sunday which has free street parking, and evenings after 6.

techknowgn on
    edited October 2009
    Plus, you are a woman, Aleema. You will find as a female, you won't have any trouble making friends at a geekfest.

Personally, this will be my first conference attended "solo". As press, while the folks from our site usually attend in a group, I usually spend most of my time with new people I've met at the event. In fact, at PAX 08, i roomed with our Editor in Chief (who was the best man at my recent wedding), but we only spent an hour or two together each day. We have divergent gaming interests, and different assignments on top of that. And it didn't stop me from having an awesome time. in fact, i stayed up all night the last night of the show, drinking with a group of developers and gaming fans in an elevator lobby we turned into a lounge.

techknowgn on
    edited October 2009

But it won't be Hogwarts themed. That will be exclusive to Seattle.

I'm very interested in participating. I've been to several bars since I moved here, but anyone who knows boston knows it's impossible to go to all the bars. ;)

techknowgn on
  • ozweegoozweego Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Can you volunteer for this event? Give a hand as an enforcer/setup/whatever person. I am interested in going that route if it's available.

ozweego on
    edited October 2009
    ozweego wrote: »
    Can you volunteer for this event? Give a hand as an enforcer/setup/whatever person. I am interested in going that route if it's available.

This has already been answered in this thread.... but when/if the callout goes out for volunteers, the application will be posted on the front page of penny-arcade

BigRed on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So this will be my first PAX, since I'm in NJ and there was no way my wife was going to ok the expense to fly to Seattle for a three day gaming expo. I'm thrilled that PAX is now a bit closer (but Boston seems like an odd choice), but I'm not quite sure if a friend of mine is going to be able to go or not due to classes (nursing program).

How likely is it to find a hotel last minute once he has his class schedule (a month or two before PAX)?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited October 2009
    Not likely, hotels (at least the close ones) are likely to fill up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.