As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Marvel comics are pretty good about recaps. DC will have to catch up.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Incredible Herc alone means they will never be able to.

Fencingsax on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Incredible Herc alone means they will never be able to.

Hensler on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    WMW could have done completely without Maria Hill. I honestly think her whole side-story was only for a reason to show a Scarlett-Jo-looking Black Widow. Complete with gratuitous crotch shots.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    More IDW Transformers bitching, again spoilered for those who don't care
    All Hail Megatron Coda: 14, written by Shane McCarthy alters information given by Simon Furman previously in the series.

In this issue, it is implied that Hunter, a human captured by an evil corporation run by Scorponok, somehow forced the decapitated Sunstreaker to agree to his idea of becoming the Autobot's Headmaster.

However, in Devastation issue 4, Sunstreaker had a sort of agreeable attitude to Hunter's question of whether there was "room for one more" in the Autobot's mind.

On top of that, this issue abridges and alters a scene from Devastation issue 3, cutting that Hunter proposed being a Headmaster so they could both fight back against Scorponok's plan to use Sunstreaker to hurt Autobots.

It also adds a plea for death after Hunter's proposal, so it looks like he's deliberately ignoring the Autobot's wishes, even though in Maximum Dinobots issue 4, he showed he was willing to kill Sunstreaker.

Antimatter on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I ventured into the CBR forum because I was bored and wanted to see what they thought about the Scientist Supreme thing.

There are people that like it

Some thought it was touching!

I can't comprehend it.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well see because not everyone hates hank pym

not everyone sucks like you faynor

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't really read much of the standard Marvel universe with Hank Pym, but man, he is a major dick in Ultimates. Every time I read that part where he bugsprays Jan it makes me cringe.

Lucascraft on
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    part of me thought the whole "scientist supreme" thing was kind of cute in a nerdy way, but then when i explained it to some friends that dont read mighty avengers, i realized it was totally retarded. goodbye mighty avengers, you're the next casualty due to price hikes. After green arrow/black canary, action, and superman.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I haven't really read much of the standard Marvel universe with Hank Pym, but man, he is a major dick in Ultimates. Every time I read that part where he bugsprays Jan it makes me cringe.

Buddy, everyone is an asshole in Ultimates. It was repugnant. Hitch's art is good, but it is not really any better than quite a few other artists-- lets go with Mahnke, and that dude gets no props at all. Millar can write the shit out of action scenes, but man, he writes assholes.

DouglasDanger on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Buddy, everyone is an asshole in Ultimates. It was repugnant. Hitch's art is good, but it is not really any better than quite a few other artists-- lets go with Mahnke, and that dude gets no props at all. Millar can write the shit out of action scenes, but man, he writes assholes.

Pym is also a dick in 616, albeit a different type of dick.

Fencingsax on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really don't understand why some people think everyone's in dick in the Ultimate universe. Off the top of my head here's a list of non-dick Ultimate universe characters:

Peter Parker, Kitty Pryde, (originally was a dick but has since gotten better)Kong, all the Fantastic Four, several X-men members who I won't bother to name since most are now dead, and Sam Wilson.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited October 2009
    Those characters are written by different writers. It is true that pretty much everyone in "The Ultimates" is a huge dick.

Lucascraft on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I ventured into the CBR forum because I was bored and wanted to see what they thought about the Scientist Supreme thing.

There are people that like it

Some thought it was touching!

I can't comprehend it.

Here's the thing.

I really liked the idea that there exist archetypes like Explorer, Engineer, and Mage (I LOVE archetypes). I thought that the distinctions between those archetypes were really apt, too. I thought it was appropriate that Reed is the Explorer and Tony is the Engineer. Pym as the Mage? I could see that, too. I even like the concept of Scientist Supreme.

I didn't like the concept of an anthropomorphised universe being all "Save me Obi-Wan Pymobi, you're my only hope", and also "You are my one true love, Hank Pym; never change". That was a really impressive amount of fanwank, more than I can stomach (and this is coming from the guy who enjoyed Shocker: Legit).

As for the overall Pym-hate, I guess I just feel like for the most part, he's been a dude with a serious dose of mental and emotional problems, doing some questionable things, but never getting to the point where I foam at the mouth with rage. He's far from my favorite character, but I don't hate him. I DO hate how he's been written since his return in SI. But that's hardly his fault.

Delduwath on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The next issue should have Eternity come back and say "Oh! Oh shit, I meant to talk to Scott Lang."

Also, archetypes are nice and all, but Reed isn't an explorer and Tony isn't an engineer. They're comic book scientists who know everything about everything all the time and break the rules of the universe to make tastier coffee.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    but lets get serious, tastier coffee is a big concern for them both

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited October 2009
    well see because not everyone hates hank pym

not everyone sucks like you faynor

Dude, I like Hank Pym, I love the SCIENCE! aspect, but it is in spite of Slott's attempts

Giving him an idiotic, senseless title is not doing anything for me

Slott had the UNIVERSE tell him he's a swell guy. Come on

Faynor on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The next issue should have Eternity come back and say "Oh! Oh shit, I meant to talk to Scott Lang."

Also, archetypes are nice and all, but Reed isn't an explorer and Tony isn't an engineer. They're comic book scientists who know everything about everything all the time and break the rules of the universe to make tastier coffee.

Yeah, this is my problem with it too: while the idea of Scientist Supreme is interesting (especially given that The Oath tells us that magic cannot do what science does, which implies a potential future where the Scientist Supreme renders the Sorcerer Supreme obsolete) it was just awful to have Eternity (a) pick Pym, and (b) do it in such a childish, fanwanky way.

Hell, even Eternity's diction seemed immature and inappropriate.

mattharvest on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd just like to say that the very idea of red she hulk offends my sensibilities. I hate loeb so god damn much.

you know what this whole red hulk reminds me of?

050217_loonatics_hmed.hlarge.jpg

Xtreeeeme

Langly on
    edited October 2009

Yeah, this is my problem with it too: while the idea of Scientist Supreme is interesting (especially given that The Oath tells us that magic cannot do what science does, which implies a potential future where the Scientist Supreme renders the Sorcerer Supreme obsolete) it was just awful to have Eternity (a) pick Pym, and (b) do it in such a childish, fanwanky way.

I don't think this is true, as there will always be things that science cannot do.

Fencingsax on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It really bugs me when writers use super-science without any fundamental basis in the real world. I mean sure, there's the whole axiom that "Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic". But come on...

I don't like how Greg Pak makes all his characters start talking about how they're the "x smartest person on the planet". It makes it sound pretty dickish and unnatural, especially since they only talk that way when Pak is writing.

And another thing...if Pym wants to redeem himself in the world's eyes, then release some of those inventions for the public! The savings on fuel and pollution alone by shrinking shipments would be astronomical. He'd be the rock-gawd of scientists. Its not like any of the other super-smart people are doing anything to directly help the world; they seem to be pretty insular and non-sharing of their technology.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited October 2009
    Can someone please clear something up for me? Did the "Green Scar" Hulk have two sons on Sakaar? One of them Skaar, and the other Hiro-Kala? I read the "Planet Skaar" trade, and I'm still confused.

cshadow42 on
    edited October 2009
    I think that is the case, yes, but I am also unsure.

Faynor on
    edited October 2009
    Tony Stark shares pretty much everything. The only tech he has never shared is the Iron Man technology. Everything else is sold to the military and he also dabbles in the public sector a bit. That's why he's so rich.

Apparently Hank Pym doesn't like money because if he sold his tech, he could be rich too.

Lucascraft on
  • RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't stand the Jan and Hank relationship. Spousal abuse just isn't entertainment for me. I know gritty and darker comics were the new trend but I'll pass. I think it has to do with when I started reading them I read She hulk, X-men and Amazing Spider-man. This was around 1985 ish and I don't remember the "good"guys I wanted to read about doing "bad" things. They were the heroes you wanted to be, the ones who save the day.

Though I do notice I'm not bothered by it as much in the comics I started reading when I was older in my teen years. Various DC and Darkhorse comics, Sandman and Tarot off the top of my head, could do just about anything and it doesn't faze me.

Funny how I still have child hood attachments to characters. I just hope there are a few titles out there that kids today can read and still have a hero they can look up to. :)

Rebecca on
    edited October 2009
    I think the only way to redeem Pym is to have him give up all relationships for the rest of his life. He's just not at that level emotionally to handle any kind of a romantic relationship. And him with Jocasta is just...creepy. The way she's so subservient to him is just sickening.

cshadow42 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Can someone please clear something up for me? Did the "Green Scar" Hulk have two sons on Sakaar? One of them Skaar, and the other Hiro-Kala? I read the "Planet Skaar" trade, and I'm still confused.

Skaar is definitely his son the other, its not clear yet it could be hes just faking it.

DarkWarrior on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the only way to redeem Pym is to have him give up all relationships for the rest of his life. He's just not at that level emotionally to handle any kind of a romantic relationship. And him with Jocasta is just...creepy. The way she's so subservient to him is just sickening.

I guess she likes being treated so badly by him.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited October 2009
    Do you even read the comic, Strongbad? Because that's not really the issue. He's not particularly mean to Jocasta, she just hangs on his every word and it's goddamn creepy that he decided to get the closest thing to his dead ex-wife as possible without cloning her or something.

Faynor on
    edited October 2009
    Do you even read the comic, Strongbad? Because that's not really the issue. He's not particularly mean to Jocasta, she just hangs on his every word and it's goddamn creepy that he decided to get the closest thing to his dead ex-wife as possible without cloning her or something.

And you know that if he hit her she'd just make an excuse for him. Pym is a fucking douchebag of the highest order, easily the worst hero in existence in the Marvel universe and hes got like one invention which all his other 'inventions' spawn from. Scientist Supreme he is not.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009

And you know that if he hit her she'd just make an excuse for him. Pym is a fucking douchebag of the highest order, easily the worst hero in existence in the Marvel universe and hes got like one invention which all his other 'inventions' spawn from. Scientist Supreme he is not.

Which is almost too bad, because Ant-man sans the Pym-ness could be really cool. Makes me wonder how Marvel is going to make an 'Ant-man' movie. Throughout the whole movie, the 'wifebeater' tag would be floating through my head.

Do you think its possible for the Pym character to ever be redeemed? Granted, in the real-world, the answer would be years of dedicated, hard working therapy. But that doesn't really sell comics (though a comedic series featuring Ant-man going to a therapist could be funny if done right).

Heh, looks like we've returned to one of the recurrent themes of this thread
    1. Loeb
    2. Land
    3. Brand New Day
    4. Pym

cshadow42 on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which is almost too bad, because Ant-man sans the Pym-ness could be really cool.

Shame on you for not buying Irredeemable Ant-Man.

Wildcat on
    edited October 2009
    He probably can be redeemed, doesnt help hes such a lame character already but the way they've tried to redeem him has, at least for me, made me hate him more because its been a basic huge wank fest for him and hes been a smug, arrogant bastard. Look at Bucky, Bucky hasn't done half the evil, fucked up shit Pym has but he feels guilty for it, he doesnt blame anyone else and he tries to do good even though he doesnt believe he can redeem himself for it.

Pym returned, blamed Stark or someone then set about building shit, making his own team of avengers, claiming he should be leader of these avengers, confronted Reed (Whos a dick but not as big a dick) and was mega fucking arrogant during and about then I stopped reading so I dont know what hes done since apart from his making a costume to honour his dead, ex-wife who left him because he was a dick and whom wasn't eve alive when he came back so thats just all kinds of creepy and unneccesary on its own.

So this has not been a good way to redeem him.

DarkWarrior on
    edited October 2009
    Irredeemable Antman is not Pym. He's a selfish douche, but in a more amusing vein.

Fencingsax on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry to be ignorant, but what has Pym done that's inredeemable? I only know of that slap he gave Jan.

Kyougu on
    edited October 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Sorry to be ignorant, but what has Pym done that's inredeemable? I only know of that slap he gave Jan.

Ultron. Also the robot he created to defeat the Avengers so he could look badass.

Fencingsax on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I don't think this is true, as there will always be things that science cannot do.

Why do you say that?

In Marvel, it's established that magic cannot do what science can do (at least within some unclear range or distance in space or time), canonically. This implies that, should human-kind last long enough, it could reach a point where science has completely displaced magic. It's not like I'm reaching here...

mattharvest on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Irredeemable Antman is not Pym. He's a selfish douche, but in a more amusing vein.

In effect, he is Ant-Man, oooh, sans the Pym-ness?

Wildcat on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I just read on wiki that line about kissing Pym is like kissing God. D:

Kyougu on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Slott should have just made douchebag Pym a Skrull if he wanted to take the easy route.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.