As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reccomend me an external hard drive

RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
So I have been living on the edge of disaster. I have been running my laptop without an external backup for 2-3 years and I am starting to get a little nervous. So now that I have a fancy new job, I figured I would drop some money on a backup. Does anyone have any reccomendations for external enclosures or complete setups?

RuddurBall on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like Western Digital. I have some ancient 10gig drives that still work actually. You can get 1TB external 3.5" enclosure for cheap these days ~$100. I believe it is the MyBook. It comes with software on it for syncing and the like but I would recommend not using it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066
    do you think my drives would be safe enough in that?

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    BlueSquaredBlueSquared Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    RuddurBall wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066
    do you think my drives would be safe enough in that?

Long story short, my WD MyBook 1TB (firewire, esata, usb version) died recently. Well, the drive was fine, but the enclosure was shot. I've had it since Feb 2007. Got real flakey (not liking to connect, windows/ubuntu/osx not recognizing the drive is plugged in) ~6 months ago. I used the very dock you linked to access my drive with for the time being (It's my roomate's dock, and I'm out of sata cables here at college).

Bottom line, that's a dock, and the hard drive itself is exposed to the outside enviromnent. The drive does not sit in the dock very snugly; there is a bit of wiggle room. I'd fear for the safety of the drive, especially while it is spinning, if it is just laying around. I'd recommend going to newegg and buying a drive and a thrid-party enclosure. WD MyBooks are decent enough for the task if you don't want to mess with the afforementioned method. It is a very nice dock though, but I don't think it's the piece of tech you are looking for.

BlueSquared on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Remember best practice is to back up the important stuff in more than one place.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah well at home best practce is often trumped by lazy.

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Western digital. I love mine.

Works great and somewhat reasonable pricing.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490