As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How is that even food?

• Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd never heard of 'balut' before in my life.

I hate you people.

Incidentally, isn't an unfertilized egg--or maybe just the yolk--a single cell? Like a giant fucking bacterium? That is delicious?

pffffahahaha

you think that's bad

how about the one where you take a live baby bird

feed it until it is too fat to move

drown it in fine wine

and then pop it into your mouth and kee-runch

people who ate this dish would put a cloth over their heads, to "hide their faces from god"

That, that' can't be true. o_O

psychotix on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tripe actually doesn't taste like much. It's just a little stingy and chewier than noodles. It does look kind of weird in the bowl, but most of the Pho shacks I go to tailor at least half their business to Vietnamese ex-pats who must be craving that back-home goodness.

Like I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to order it, but if it's there I'll eat it. But I'm probably the least fussy eater I've ever met. The only food I genuinely don't like is chocolate, and I can still tolerate milk chocolate in doses.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    iglidante wrote: »
    one gourmet said the taste of blood in your mouth as the bones cut it up provided the final orgasmic touch of flavor

We're talking about raw baby birds, right? I think blood would be about all you'd taste. That's fucking disgusting. I love a rare steak, but I don't want drowned raw baby birds.

What is this thing called?

And was it french?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    one gourmet said the taste of blood in your mouth as the bones cut it up provided the final orgasmic touch of flavor

We're talking about raw baby birds, right? I think blood would be about all you'd taste. That's fucking disgusting. I love a rare steak, but I don't want drowned raw baby birds.

And was it french?

i don't remember the name, but it was really short (i kept getting it confused with balut)

and yeah i think it's french

Rust on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gourmet? I think you misspelled villainous ogre.

he had to excuse himself after that statement to step outside and laugh maniacally for ten minutes

oh shit!!!! I just came back from the break room CRYING laughing over that comment...

still got tears as I type this

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

And was it french?

i don't remember the name, but it was really short (i kept getting it confused with balut)

My google-fu is failing me on this.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

And was it french?

do you seriously think i could or would make something like that up

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

And was it french?

No, I believe you. I've eaten some crazy things in other countries, raw live octopus and fried scorpions come to mind.

I was just hoping for a picture of some dude in a berret with a funny mustache chowing down. :winky:

psychotix on
  • Options
    sharpfsharpf Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    I went to the Arizona state fair, looking forward to enjoying the corn fritters. Alas, I looked high and low, but found them at none of the stands.

Does anyone here know where they were located????

sharpf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm going tomorrow with the fam. I'll tell you tomorrow night.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wait... you didn't have the batter fried bacon with gravy???!! Shame on you.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

And was it french?

My google-fu is strong.

Ortolan!

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is quite possibly one of the most messed up things I have ever heard people eat.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    That is quite possibly one of the most messed up things I have ever heard people eat.

Cannibals everywhere are intrigued.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pata wrote: »

What about the brains of a live, but drunk monkey!

http://www.maxent.org/ch/monkey_brains_ad.html

psychotix on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No, the bird is cooked. The blood is yours from the bones cutting up your mouth as you eat it.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Come on, that has to be a hoax.

Edit: The monkey one.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Come on, that has to be a hoax.

Edit: The monkey one.

Every seen the faces of death movie series, they have a movie of people doing it in there. So I know at least some people in China have done it, and it does happen. Cause I've seen it, and it's, well odd.

I wouldn't call it wide spread though.

EDIT- the "they eat babies" was a hoax, those were just skinned monkies and the bones of a monkey that people thought were babies and went balastic over.

psychotix on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

And was it french?

Did you get this from watching American Dad?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    peanut butter on a burger is fantastic

one of the best burgers you can get at this gourment burger chain called the Works is a beef patty with cream cheese and peanut butter.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

No, the bird is cooked. The blood is yours from the bones cutting up your mouth as you eat it.

Oh, phew, that's bett-WHAT THE FUCK?

That actually somehow manages to be WORSE.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

Oh, phew, that's bett-WHAT THE FUCK?

That actually somehow manages to be WORSE.

:lol:

When I had the live octopus you had to chew it up really good or the suction cups attach while going down your gullet and you choke to death. :lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9687163/ns/entertainment-arts_books_more/page/6/
    Preparations vary: Some hearts are served up as a little raw tidbit, still-beating, to be chased down with a slug of cobra blood.

Anthony Bourdain stirred up a bit of attention a few years ago when he sampled it this way and wrote about it in “A Cook's Tour,” a feat captured for TV posterity. Other hearts are dropped into a glass of rice wine and slurped down as a rather gruesome drink garnish.

Really, nothing will top Hakarl.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
    Chef Gordon Ramsay, after challenging journalist James May to sample three "delicacies" (Laotian snake whiskey, bull penis, and hákarl), finally vomited after eating hákarl, although May kept his down. May's only reaction was "You disappoint me, Ramsay."[1]

Edit: Actually, most of the shit here is fucked up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur
    * Kæstur hákarl, putrefied Greenland shark
    * Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.
    * Svið, singed and boiled sheep heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid
    * Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid
    * Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats
    * Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur, meaning slaughter), a type of blood pudding, which is made from lamb's blood and suet, kneaded with rye flour and oats
    * Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter
    * Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread
    * Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.
    * Lundabaggi, sheep’s loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid
    * Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid
    Lifrarpylsa-%C3%9Eorramatur.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9687163/ns/entertainment-arts_books_more/page/6/
    Preparations vary: Some hearts are served up as a little raw tidbit, still-beating, to be chased down with a slug of cobra blood.

Anthony Bourdain stirred up a bit of attention a few years ago when he sampled it this way and wrote about it in “A Cook's Tour,” a feat captured for TV posterity. Other hearts are dropped into a glass of rice wine and slurped down as a rather gruesome drink garnish.

Really, nothing will top Hakarl.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
    Chef Gordon Ramsay, after challenging journalist James May to sample three "delicacies" (Laotian snake whiskey, bull penis, and hákarl), finally vomited after eating hákarl, although May kept his down. May's only reaction was "You disappoint me, Ramsay."[1]

Edit: Actually, most of the shit here is fucked up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur
    * Kæstur hákarl, putrefied Greenland shark
    * Súrsaðir hrútspungar, the testicles of rams pressed in blocks, boiled and cured in lactic acid.
    * Svið, singed and boiled sheep heads, sometimes cured in lactic acid
    * Sviðasulta, head cheese or brawn made from svið, sometimes cured in lactic acid
    * Lifrarpylsa (liver sausage), a pudding made from liver and suet of sheep kneaded with rye flour and oats
    * Blóðmör (blood-suet; also known as slátur, meaning slaughter), a type of blood pudding, which is made from lamb's blood and suet, kneaded with rye flour and oats
    * Harðfiskur, wind-dried fish (often cod, haddock or seawolf), served with butter
    * Rúgbrauð (rye bread), traditional Icelandic rye bread
    * Hangikjöt, (hung meat), smoked and boiled lamb or mutton, sometimes also eaten raw.
    * Lundabaggi, sheep’s loins wrapped in the meat from the sides, pressed and cured in lactic acid
    * Selshreifar, seal's flippers cured in lactic acid
    Lifrarpylsa-%C3%9Eorramatur.jpg

I'll see your shark and raise you..........

http://www.tutztutz.com/2009/04/the-10-most-disgusting-delicacies-to-try-before-you-die/2/

Stink heads!
    The dish, by modern culinary standards, is nothing but rotten salmon heads, albeit treasured tribal fare. Imagine, a bucket load of large King Salmon heads left outside during the warm summer months for a few weeks….Outside the native Alaskan culture the stink head topic is nothing but a novelty, but health-wise the tradition of stink head consumption poses a real and continued challenge to regional Alaskan healthcare professionals faced with frequent and, sometimes serious, totally avoidable botulism cases.

psychotix on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why do that with the salmon heads? Why not just pan fry them up? Or use them to make fish stock? I just see no reason for making this disgusting thing.

Underdog on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Underdog wrote: »
    Why do that with the salmon heads? Why not just pan fry them up? Or use them to make fish stock? I just see no reason for making this disgusting thing.

Because if it's good enough for our ancestors, it's good enough for us?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    heading to the AZ fair in a bit, pics will be posted later tonight.

logic7 on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Baby mice wine is a traditional Korean health drink, which is brewed by drowning alive baby mice, maximum three days old, in rice moonshine and letting them to ferment in the bottle for about a year. According to local Korean belief, mouse wine is a cure to just about any illness imaginable, includin asthma and liver problems among others.

baby_mice_wine.jpg

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Baby mice wine is a traditional Korean health drink, which is brewed by drowning alive baby mice, maximum three days old, in rice moonshine and letting them to ferment in the bottle for about a year. According to local Korean belief, mouse wine is a cure to just about any illness imaginable, includin asthma and liver problems among others.

baby_mice_wine.jpg

I imagine any animal drowned in liquor would release its bowels soon after death. So the Koreans are drinking mouse urine....

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    actually post-mortem bowel release doesn't always happen

though i'm pretty sure sticking that many mice in a bottle is flirting with statistics

Rust on
  • Options
    Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

baby_mice_wine.jpg

And then of course there's snake wine:
    There are two varieties of snake wine:

Steeped: A large venomous snake can be placed into a glass jar of rice wine, sometimes with smaller snakes and medicinal herbs and left to steep for many months. The wine is drunk as a restorative in small shots or cups.
    Mixed: Body fluids of snake are mixed into wine and consumed immediately in the form of a shot. Snake blood wine is prepared by slicing a snake along its belly and draining its blood directly into the drinking vessel filled with rice wine or grain alcohol. Snake bile wine is done through a similar method by using the contents of the gall bladder.

Clayton Bigsby on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

baby_mice_wine.jpg

When I lived in Hong Kong there was a shop/stall outside my apartment that would sell the Mouse Wine every couple of weeks. I imagine a whole bottle is quite expensive so people would just buy a shot glass of the stuff. Fucking creepy.

Ponge on
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Only in America can you get a family-sized serving of brownies and a 4 meat pizza delivered to your door for $16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fhq08gtX-0&feature=related
    So how is this food snob thing working for you? Does the thought that you will get to spend 10 more years than the rest of us in an old folks home getting your diapers changed by strangers really thrill you so much that you would avoid all the tasty yummy food that life has to offer? I mean seriously there is this thing called moderation where you can eat both bland food and food that tastes good and still be reasonably healthy. Plus no one likes a snob.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to avoid joining this argument, but I really doubt Dominoes brownies are good examples of worthwhile decadence.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    what i don't even

that post was made how long ago

at least four months

let go of the paaaast, maaaaan

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's possible that he eats unhealthy food as well, albeit not from chain fast food restaurants that assemble their products with an eye for efficiency first and taste second.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    what i don't even

that post was made how long ago

at least four months

let go of the paaaast, maaaaan

Ahahaha, nearly six months ago.

Good lord.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How do you come to conclusion that dead mice are some kind of panacea anyway? Is it just the fact that it's so bizarre that it resembles a witch's brew, thereby lending the concoction a magical kind of air?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SosSos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'd like to avoid joining this argument, but I really doubt Dominoes brownies are good examples of worthwhile decadence.

You're right man.

The best food in the world is Taco Bell

No wait JackintheBox is

Sos on