As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The next issue should have Eternity come back and say "Oh! Oh shit, I meant to talk to Scott Lang."

Also, archetypes are nice and all, but Reed isn't an explorer and Tony isn't an engineer. They're comic book scientists who know everything about everything all the time and break the rules of the universe to make tastier coffee.

Yeah, this is my problem with it too: while the idea of Scientist Supreme is interesting (especially given that The Oath tells us that magic cannot do what science does, which implies a potential future where the Scientist Supreme renders the Sorcerer Supreme obsolete) it was just awful to have Eternity (a) pick Pym, and (b) do it in such a childish, fanwanky way.

Hell, even Eternity's diction seemed immature and inappropriate.

I don't think this is true, as there will always be things that science cannot do.

Why do you say that?

In Marvel, it's established that magic cannot do what science can do (at least within some unclear range or distance in space or time), canonically. This implies that, should human-kind last long enough, it could reach a point where science has completely displaced magic. It's not like I'm reaching here...

Opening a portal is something magic and science can both currently do, for example. So I'm not sure what the restriction means, and whether it was even noticed by Marvel at large.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Which is almost too bad, because Ant-man sans the Pym-ness could be really cool.

Shame on you for not buying Irredeemable Ant-Man.

I did buy Irredeemable Ant-man for a while. I like the character, he's fun when he shows up. What turned me off the Irredeemable Ant-man was, I confess, a bit weird of me. It was during the WWH event, and Ant-man gets swallowed by the Hulk (btw, there should be a mandatory 20-issue waiting period before you re-use the gag of a shrunken person being swallowed). While inside Hulk, he sees a name-brand deoderant. I forget what it was (Red Zone?). But it was just inconsistent with the character (Hulk does not eat deoderant), and I felt that if I am forced to be subjected to advertising, they should be paying me to read the comic, not the other way around.

But I like the character. Hell, one of my favorite scenes from 'Avengers: The Initiative' was when Taskmaster and Ant-man tell MVP they don't want to fight him, and back away. Later on, when everyone is fighting but them, Ant-man asks Taskmaster if he wants to watch "Chuck" on his iPod. Granted, this was another pop-culture reference/advertisement, but at least it was funny enough to make me laugh.

I wonder who will eventually become the long-term Ant-man: Pym, Scott Lang (they never found the body!), or Irredeemable Ant-man.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The next issue should have Eternity come back and say "Oh! Oh shit, I meant to talk to Scott Lang."

Also, archetypes are nice and all, but Reed isn't an explorer and Tony isn't an engineer. They're comic book scientists who know everything about everything all the time and break the rules of the universe to make tastier coffee.

Yeah, this is my problem with it too: while the idea of Scientist Supreme is interesting (especially given that The Oath tells us that magic cannot do what science does, which implies a potential future where the Scientist Supreme renders the Sorcerer Supreme obsolete) it was just awful to have Eternity (a) pick Pym, and (b) do it in such a childish, fanwanky way.

Hell, even Eternity's diction seemed immature and inappropriate.

I don't think this is true, as there will always be things that science cannot do.

Why do you say that?

In Marvel, it's established that magic cannot do what science can do (at least within some unclear range or distance in space or time), canonically. This implies that, should human-kind last long enough, it could reach a point where science has completely displaced magic. It's not like I'm reaching here...

Opening a portal is something magic and science can both currently do, for example. So I'm not sure what the restriction means, and whether it was even noticed by Marvel at large.

I'm not saying they have it fully fleshed out, but The Oath's entire plot point hinged on the difficulties in using magic to cure cancer because science had the cure, didn't it?

As for "portals", that's not correct. Science might create a wormhole, for example, while magic might create a portal.

I'm not the writer, I'm not the editor, but the canon rule is that magic can't do what science can, in Marvel.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just once I want to see a character get shot in the last page of a comic book, and actually be dead when the next issue comes out.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Just once I want to see a character get shot in the last page of a comic book, and actually be dead when the next issue comes out.

Comics don't work that way.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That reminds me of Batman being a super dickhead in Gotham Central, when cops bust in on him beating up Penguin, they tell Batman to freeze, he moves and the detective shoots him.

Batman gets shot but the armor takes the bullet, then breaks the detective's nose and steals her gun, which is a big no-no for a cop to lose their gun.

They're just doing their job, jerkman the jerk crusader.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That reminds me of Batman being a super dickhead in Gotham Central, when cops bust in on him beating up Penguin, they tell Batman to freeze, he moves and the detective shoots him.

Batman gets shot but the armor takes the bullet, then breaks the detective's nose and steals her gun, which is a big no-no for a cop to lose their gun.

On the other hand, what kind of stupid bitch shoots at Batman?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I sat down with the Secret Warriors trade last night. I liked it in singles, and I liked it even better all in one go but then I walked away from it for a few hours and decided I really didn't like the "Shield was Hydra all along" retcon. It's a great shocking twist, and it sure sets up some of the motivations for a number of players in the book as well as clears HAMMER from being controlled by anyone other than Osborn but its just a big ol' nasty retcon. You can get out of it by claiming that Hydra's influence was never a sure thing so that all those old stories still make sense, but why force your readers to perform such mental gymnastics? Bleargh.

Anyway, it had me thinking last night - has Bendis done anything in 616 Marvel that didn't include massive retcons to reposition the cast and status quo of the book he was writing? With Illuminati, Secert Warriors, Secret War, Secret Invasion it seems to be kind of his thing. Hell, Jessica Jones is an entire character made out of retcon. So was his Daredevil run immune to this? The only other thing I can think of is Dark Avengers has no backstory rewriting. At least until we finally find out what the deal is with the Sentry (but that doesn't count because he's also a retcon character - no wonder Bendis likes him :P )

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009

On the other hand, what kind of stupid bitch shoots at Batman?

She was new and doing her job, Batman's not above the law. He may have Gordon whipped but no one else is taking that shit.

It's one thing to knock her out or something to get away, it's another to be an asshole and take her gun when Bruce knows that can screw up a Cop's job.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    Anyway, it had me thinking last night - has Bendis done anything in 616 Marvel that didn't include massive retcons to reposition the cast and status quo of the book he was writing? With Illuminati, Secert Warriors, Secret War, Secret Invasion it seems to be kind of his thing. Hell, Jessica Jones is an entire character made out of retcon. So was his Daredevil run immune to this? The only other thing I can think of is Dark Avengers has no backstory rewriting. At least until we finally find out what the deal is with the Sentry (but that doesn't count because he's also a retcon character - no wonder Bendis likes him :P )

He had Kingpin have a son in his DD run but it was always implied Fisk had a son in the past, starting with Miller's run. His DD run is actually the cleanest he's ever told a story in that regard. He changed things a lot but they were all a part of his current story, like DD becoming Kingpin and having his identity outed.

And Secret Warriors is 95% Hickman, as Bendis admits his name is on the book just to sell more copies.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I did buy Irredeemable Ant-man for a while. I like the character, he's fun when he shows up. What turned me off the Irredeemable Ant-man was, I confess, a bit weird of me. It was during the WWH event, and Ant-man gets swallowed by the Hulk (btw, there should be a mandatory 20-issue waiting period before you re-use the gag of a shrunken person being swallowed). While inside Hulk, he sees a name-brand deoderant. I forget what it was (Red Zone?). But it was just inconsistent with the character (Hulk does not eat deoderant), and I felt that if I am forced to be subjected to advertising, they should be paying me to read the comic, not the other way around.

Around that time, Marvel was running in-story advertisements, hoping they wouldn't be too intrusive. When Kirkman and Hester were told that they needed to put an Old Spice reference in the story, they decided to go all out and put one on every page.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That issie was hilarious, and the series as a whole was alright apart from a few signature wall of text moments. There was a page in the second to last issue where Eric explains his cover story that just about killed me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it was predominently Old Spice, some Nike shoes, and Go Army ads a lot back then (and people got all pissy about the Army ads; seriously, go fuck off if it's so bad).

There was that X-Factor issue where Peter David wouldn't have the characters shut up about an iPhone or iPod, that was more annoying than background billboards with real life ads.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it was predominently Old Spice, some Nike shoes, and Go Army ads a lot back then (and people got all pissy about the Army ads; seriously, go fuck off if it's so bad).

There was that X-Factor issue where Peter David wouldn't have the characters shut up about an iPhone or iPod, that was more annoying than background billboards with real life ads.

They mentioned the iPhone like, twice! And it was woven in pretty well, I'd say, with Monet crushing Rahne's for leaving.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, most people I've known that own an iPhone can't shut up about them either.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

They mentioned the iPhone like, twice! And it was woven in pretty well, I'd say, with Monet crushing Rahne's for leaving.

It was like 4 or 5 times, and it also had close ups of the iPhone nicely drawn showing how stylish it is in a person's hands.

Although who would want to buy an iPhone if those mutie freaks are using them, mirite? The apple doesn't fall far from the X-gene.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just got Deadpool 900

And it was pretty awful

The Fred Van Lente one was the best story in the book, and it'll keep me on Deadpool Teamup. The Joe Kelly/Rob Liefield one was fun just to see those two back with the character. Duane Swierczynski's was good as just being what a standard shortform deadpool story should be.

All of the others were just terrible. Especially the one that Kyle Baker illustrated, which had a neat ending but was entirely crap otherwise, and the final story, which was overly long and involved and almost humorless despite the confusing (yet somewhat funny) Secret Wars II tie in at the start, and its best attempts to parody the average Wolverine solo story.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The last part was actually a reprint from a 1998 one-shot.

I didn't like the Baker one at all, which makes me sad because Plastic Man was a great series no one read.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The last part was actually a reprint from a 1998 one-shot.

I didn't like the Baker one at all, which makes me sad because Plastic Man was a great series no one read.

That explains a great deal.

Also, was this always Baker's style of.... art?

Because it looked awful, in addition to the terrible writing behind it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

He had Kingpin have a son in his DD run but it was always implied Fisk had a son in the past, starting with Miller's run. His DD run is actually the cleanest he's ever told a story in that regard. He changed things a lot but they were all a part of his current story, like DD becoming Kingpin and having his identity outed.

And Secret Warriors is 95% Hickman, as Bendis admits his name is on the book just to sell more copies.
    HICKMAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Baker's art was revealed a few months ago (on Bleeding Cool I think) to be just taking images from google, doing some photoshopping, and drawing Deadpool onto it, almost like something out of a generic Adult Swim show.

Baker's old style was a lot better. Skottie Young quirky.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    To be fair, most people I've known that own an iPhone can't shut up about them either.

no it is not a can't thing munch

it is a won't thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Nope. He's most famous for doing some really cartoony stuff reminiscent of Looney Toons or old magazine illustration, both in the independent realm, and for Marvel and DC. He also has a more serious, less exaggerated style, which he's used on Truth, and Nat Turner. You can check out some of his stuff here.

It kills me that he's doing this lame, CGI-tracing crap now, as the dude's way too talented for that. That Deadpool story would have been exponentially more entertaining if he'd done the whole thing in one of his old styles.

If you're interested in checking out some of his best work, I'd recommend reading the first two volumes of his Plastic Man, Why I Hate Saturn, The Cowboy Wally Show, and Birth of a Nation.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    His Hawkman had it (the bad style) too, and I can't tell if it looked better because it was on print or because it was more subdued that time around.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a hard time reading Hawkman. Characters were always positioned in weird ways. The whole idea of tracing CG stuff like that just seems strange to me.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Goddamn, No Hero's last issue was poop from a butt. I guess it makes sense in the 90% posthumans are probably going to be terrifying beings who will not be interested in helping, but damn, what a waste.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AJR wrote: »
    I had a hard time reading Hawkman. Characters were always positioned in weird ways. The whole idea of tracing CG stuff like that just seems strange to me.

It really turned off to Hawkman. Will wait some months and give it another chance.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    AJR wrote: »

It really turned me off to Hawkman. Will wait some months and give it another chance.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Uh, why did you quote yourself and post it?

Faynor on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Uh, why did you quote yourself and post it?

To bump the thread and get responses.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Who else has been letting us down in comics?

You don't need to try to restart discussions with posts like this. Conversation will start back up on its own.

Quoting yourself to bump the thread is kind of along the same lines, and Geebs already said not to dooooooooooo that.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sorry about the double post, that was a mistake. Bad keyboard.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2009
    There were twelve hours between those posts. Keyboards have nothing to do with it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    There were twelve hours between those posts. Keyboards have nothing to do with it.

I was trying to edit my post , but I guess I hit quote by mistake. :?

Anyways ... I gave ASM another chance and it was decent this month.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Nope. He's most famous for doing some really cartoony stuff reminiscent of Looney Toons or old magazine illustration, both in the independent realm, and for Marvel and DC. He also has a more serious, less exaggerated style, which he's used on Truth, and Nat Turner. You can check out some of his stuff here.

It kills me that he's doing this lame, CGI-tracing crap now, as the dude's way too talented for that. That Deadpool story would have been exponentially more entertaining if he'd done the whole thing in one of his old styles.

If you're interested in checking out some of his best work, I'd recommend reading the first two volumes of his Plastic Man, Why I Hate Saturn, The Cowboy Wally Show, and Birth of a Nation.

He's also really good at doing Frank Miller's style

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's right, I remember really liking the first few issues of that Frankenstein book, but it just kind of fell of the radar. I'm sure it's still on my pull list, if a new one ever does come out. I remember his Big Guy and Rusty was fun a trade, too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think you were looking for this thread hoss.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why are there so many delays on the Captain America: Rebirth story? It has the same creative team that the normal Cap monthly has: Brubaker and Guice. I don't see why they are having such trouble getting this book out on a regular monthly schedule. Are they trying to synchronize the story with Dark Reign or something? Or what's the deal?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bryan Hitch is the problem.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has the regular Cap book come out in time lately? It seems like that's also been delayed, though I guess that could just be to make sure the books sync up.

noir_blood on
This discussion has been closed.