As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chris Jericho] Also occasionally about the Big Bad Booty Daddy!

Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title.Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Chris_Jericho.jpg
ITT: We talk about the amazing and charismatic Chris Jericho.

Now onto the Pro Wrestling Info: (If you're into that sorta thing)
wwe_logo.jpg
WWE Showtimes:
Raw - Monday nights on the USA Network(The Score in Canada)
ECW - Tuesday nights on Syfy(Friday nights on Global in Canada)
Superstars - Thursday nights on WGN(Sunday nights in Canada)
Smackdown - Friday nights on My Network TV(The Score in Canada)

Current Champion of our <3:
chris-jericho.jpg

TNALogo.jpg
TNA Showtimes:
Impact- Thursday nights on Spike! TV in the USA, Saturday nights on Bravo in the UK
Current Champions:
Hulk Hogan.

Work In Progress. Any suggestions are welcome.

Amikron Devalia on

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So last night I realized that Alyssa Flash and Raiesha Sayeed are the same person. Never would have made the connection until Wiki confirmed it.

Superstars was rather lackluster last night and Impact was passable. I was shocked Daniels was moving as well as he was considering the fall he took. And apparently Daphney is back in action next week with Dr. Stevie in a match against Abyss.

TNA - Where painkillers are a wrestling enhancer!

Psychotic One on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's funny you mention the Flash/Sayeed connection, I never noticed it, but its quite obvious upon examination. Agree completely on the Daniels statement though, he was moving pretty much like normal in the ring, which is impressive considering they film tuesday, which was 2 days after taking that massive bump.

As for Superstars they need more matches like the brutal Ted DiBiase vs Bourne match from weeks ago, something while not completely connected to the story at large, draws from it, and still shows what the newer guys can do. I do have to say that both ECW and Superstars need to quit showing Cena/DX recaps every week though, could easily get another 2 matches on both shows if Divas and recaps were banned.

edit:
    Was tempted when adding images for the WWE stars to use this image of Big Show:
    bigshowmug1.jpg

Always good for a laugh.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God show looked alot better when he had hair. He needs to let it grow out again.

Psychotic One on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's quite true, Big Show with hair + jokes = more awesome.

Not really enjoying tonight's Smackdown! unfortunately. Nice to see the new team in effect for the PPV, but the whole show just feels sort of "bleh" recently. Not sure how to even explain it. I blame Batista for it, his probable quad tearing must be putting everyone on edge.

edit: What the fuck exactly do faces have to do to get DQ'd in WWE now?

Amikron Devalia on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I do like the new Smackdown team, but if they should have just had Hardy, R-Truth and the Hart Dynasty win their original matches.

Ziggler should have stayed though

Hjorvarthr on
    edited October 2009
    I've accepted the loss of Ziggler since him leaving was part of Cryme Tyme leaving, I know Ziggler will continue to be pushed post Bragging Rights so it's ok to see him go for a bit.

So what is the general opinion on the beginning of what seems to be an Angle face/tween turn in TNA? I thought his speech was pretty awesome and the way they are handling the dissolving M.E.M. is pretty good considering its TNA. Also, I loved Steiner's crazy promo, he was completely insane sounding, he always makes me wonder how much is pre-scripted and how much is him just being.. Steiner.

I do have to take a moment to ponder something aloud at this point: What if Batista tore his quad permanently long ago, and Matt Morgan was the requisite "Animal" instead of the weird botchfest with a bellybutton tattoo in place now? I conclude simply that the WWE would be a better place.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited October 2009
    The MEM mafia was never intended to have gone on this long. I think though the backstage politics caused it to go this long. Angle intended it to help promote the new talent and showing they have the stuff. And I think it was a success. Matt Morgan and AJ Styles proved they are Main Event Material. I think its a good start to the beginning of the end. Plus we get to have the W/E being the stable to fued against. And its not like the egos of Nash and Steiner will just vanish. I'm more curious where they are going to take this Rhyno angle now. Hope it doesn't turn into another Old school vs new school.

Psychotic One on
    edited October 2009
    Did the undertaker dye his beard and hair?
    edit: That was a pathetic reaction from Teddy Long at the end there.

Amikron Devalia on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was wondering the same thing, so he probably did.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    D&D Wrestling:

Matt Hardy vs. Hurricane

Hardy: "Does he count as a tornado? I get +5 to slapping those"

DM: "No, he's a superhero."

Hardy: "Then I cast level 5 dry up a sea"

I look forward to the end of MEM. Even though they now have W/E to fued with, it would be two heel factions going at each other with faces in the crossfire. They need to either figure out a way to get factions to work or ditch factions. Also, was there ever an explanation as to what happened to the Front Line?

KurnDerak on
    edited October 2009
    With Foley and Jarret at odds the frontline kept stumbling. When Joe betrayed the Originals that was the death of the Frontline.

Psychotic One on
    edited October 2009
    They just kind of faded away after Joe went to the MEM and the MCMG went heel

Also the MCMG should do the commentary

They are much more enjoyable than Tenay and Taz

Hjorvarthr on
    edited October 2009
    Yea, it feels like Taz is just trying to treat Tenay like either Joey Styles or Michael Cole, minus the heel commentator aspect.

And on the subject of the MCMG, I have two major what the hells with them. First off, when they debuted their new intro theme did it seem like all that happened was they changed the distortion on the guitar? The other is the current tv time their getting. They are only on screen to say they never get to be on tv anymore? Is it so hard to just put them in a match for the same amount of time?

To jump to another subject that has nothing to do with the last two. Has anyone else noticed that, at least most the time from what I've seen, when the "unstoppable unbeaten monster of a wrestler" finally gets pinned, they either suddenly win/lose like a normal wrestler or lose more? Khali and Kozlov did keep their monster-aspects, but people like Umaga and Samoa Joe seemed to lose a lot of that. Not quite the same, but once JBL lost the title after having it almost a year he seemed to go through the same thing. Maybe I'm just an abnormal wrestling fan but that kind of stuff bugs te hell out of me.

KurnDerak on
    edited October 2009
    It seems once one of those "monsters" lose they then become the benchmark of what it means to be great. To be the best you first got to get past X. Kane, Abyss, Foley, Joe, etc. They've all been used as this bench mark to help over push others while ruining their brutality character which then becomes harder to take seriously.

Psychotic One on
    edited October 2009
    Umaga's problem was HHH just crushed him each time they wrestled(Which would probably be the norm for most HHH matches)

Everyone else he was that monster and having him talk ruined him as well

Hjorvarthr on
    edited October 2009
    Well, for Umaga I was more thinking of his matches with Jeff Hardy. I mean, one narrow win makes sense, maybe even two, but how many times did he end up winning when they were fighting each other for the IC title?

Also, is it just me or does the bench mark itself never really move? In most other forms of entertainment when you have it set up where big bad comes along, no one can beat it, heroes get more powerful and beat it, then even stronger big bad comes along, and it just repeats itself. Now, obviously that is really hard to do in wrestling because it would either make things way too cartoonish or too many wrestlers would just get left behind. But it seems to me that the bench mark itself stays the same, and each new guy that comes along is just above that mark, someone beats them and they slowly (or quickly) go down below that mark and the next guy takes his place. I'd never thought of that before, but wrestling does lose some of it's magic when you realise thats how it is.

KurnDerak on
  • KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking the other day about how when Kane first arrived, he destroyed everybody. Hell, the entire Disciples of Apocalypse group (including Crush) got squashed by him. Other generally strong guys outright ran away from him (that shit really tested my patience with WWE creative). Flash forward a couple years and faces are having their way with him.

And for fuck's sake-- the shillelagh AGAIN??? Jesus, we have some fairly talented faces in there, but once again, they can't do squat without Finlay pulling that damn thing out of his ass. Although seeing the Hart Dynasty starting to get over with the crowd (and Natty jumping around happily) almost made up for it.

Kongo on
    edited October 2009
    Oh god do I hate that damn shillelagh. How is he still so popular when he wins so many matches that way? You would think people would get tired of him cheating to win, but I guess that goes to show that in ways the WWE tells us to we like. I seem oddly ranty tonight...

The only face who was ever an entertaining, that I can remember, was Eddie. I have wondered if there was any way they could bring back that style of character, but I can't think of anyway of doing it without it most likely ending up a failed tribute attempt or a simple rip-off.

KurnDerak on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People love trademark weapons. Sandman, HHH, Mick Foley.

This also goes with the other ongoing topic. Wrestling is extremely conservative in its depiction. They don't like change when the status quo makes them a lot of moolah.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This also goes with the other ongoing topic. Wrestling is extremely conservative in its depiction. They don't like change when the status quo makes them a lot of moolah.
    QFT

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited October 2009
    On the topic of monsters, Samoa Joe is starting to look like he's trimming down. I hope he can cut up a bit more because he always surprises me with how fast he is in the ring despite his size.

In a related matter, I have to ask: If TNA fired Hernandez tomorrow would anyone care?
    Guy drives me absolutely nuts with his simply bleh entrance music and his 90s WCW gimmick. Though I do have to admit Border Toss is a pretty awesome (see: Hilarious) move, so at least he's not completely without merit.

Maybe I'm weird or something but I usually don't like <X guy from country Y> gimmicks unless they are done very well, especially when that is the whole gimmick. Shows a real lack of effort to come up with something that sticks. "You're spanish right? Oh we'll just make you a mexican cholo gangster! No one has done that before! Perfect!"

picture-7.png?w=383&h=574

Amikron Devalia on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't wait for Turning Point.

Is this Sunday Bragging Rights?

Holy shit.

Also Jericho is fantastic. Where is this man's DVD?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited October 2009
    7977465.jpg

..oh wait, you mean WWE DVD? WWE was apparently making one some time last year but I never heard anything past that.

Amikron Devalia on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I can't wait for Turning Point.

Is this Sunday Bragging Rights?

Holy shit.

Also Jericho is fantastic. Where is this man's DVD?

Jericho has been great since his early WCW days. He knows how to put on a show.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I prefer the Ayatollah of Rock N' Rollah to this current Jericho.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2009
    I like comedy Jericho best (long hair, makin' fun of Stephanie, etc) but you can tell he really enjoys being a heel. At least as a heel he gets to make people who can barely wrestle worth a damn look good. (I'm looking at you Cena)

Amikron Devalia on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Current Jericho doesn't have his obscenely, ridiculously expensive Jeritron 5000, does he?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited October 2009
    No he busted HBK's head open with it if I recall.
    edit: Ah here we go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6OiW8oX7Ic
    7 Minutes in is when HBK gets LCD'd

Amikron Devalia on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That seems painful.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited October 2009
    That was a great feud.

Man oh man. So good.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    41VDAMD7V8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

49f9259a48efdb8a1048779302963c8a.jpg

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited October 2009
    41VDAMD7V8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

49f9259a48efdb8a1048779302963c8a.jpg

Funny story, this shirt was considered "alcohol paraphernalia" in middle school. Thus one of my old friends had to relinquish it to the schools principal. He wasn't happy. Haha.

THEPAIN73 on
    edited October 2009
    Hahaha.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited October 2009
    I think one of the craziest parts of that Jericho/HBK feud was how Jericho did in fact unintentionally strike HBK's wife, HBK was a dick, etc.

His super heel turn was all a series of unfortunate events, oh and him getting hit in the teeth with a ladder, ouch.
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Current Jericho doesn't have his obscenely, ridiculously expensive Jeritron 5000, does he?

Forgot to mention it was the Jeritron 5000, now in HD.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited October 2009
    The great thing about that video is once again, everything Jericho says is true about HBK-- how a super face can get away with anything, while people shit on Jericho for far less. Case in point, the booing when Jericho kicks HBK in the balls, apparently forgetting how many matches DX won in the 90's thanks to a "low blow" (usually delivered by Chynna, but something members of the entire group did).

Regarding weapons, I know that plenty of faces have used them, but there's just something about the way Finlay does it that seems incredibly lazy. HHH would generally only pull out the sledgehammer if things had reached a certain point of shenanigans (Sandman and Foley were "extreme" guys so that's part of the MO). Finlay being on Smackdown (which is generally not an "anything goes" show), pulls out that damn shillelagh the millisecond things start to go against him. If he waited for a chair to come out or something, no big deal. But hell, someone looks at him wrong and whack! In some ways he squashes guys in a more lazy manner than HHH, because at least HHH has to put some tiny effort into the Pedigree.

Kongo on
    edited October 2009
    More to the point if you flash back Jericho was boo'd for NOT HITTING SOMEONE WITH A CHAIR. Not for beating someone up who didn't deserve it, etc. The start of the whole thing was the crowd turning on Jericho for not being a heel.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited October 2009
    More to the point if you flash back Jericho was boo'd for NOT HITTING SOMEONE WITH A CHAIR. Not for beating someone up who didn't deserve it, etc. The start of the whole thing was the crowd turning on Jericho for not being a heel.

Maybe the collective unconscious of the "WWE Universe" (God, I hate that term) somehow knew it was Jericho's destiny to be the heel god that he is.

Kongo on
    edited October 2009
    Well he has stated he loves being heel more than face, and his smirk alone is enough to send an entire arena into boo's, I guess it is his destiny. Doesn't stop me missing Y2J!

Amikron Devalia on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The first Jericho/HBK feud that culminated at Wrestlemania 19 was better than the second one. Both feuds are great, but the first one has Jericho attacking HBK all guerrilla like.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2009
    Well he has stated he loves being heel more than face, and his smirk alone is enough to send an entire arena into boo's, I guess it is his destiny. Doesn't stop me missing Y2J!

y2j-save-us-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Zen Vulgarity on