As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows 7 and Anti-Virus : Yay or Nay?

fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
Right, got Windows 7 running in 64 bits on my laptop, after playing with the 32 bit version for a while. Having some problems with sounds but eh, I'm not the only one...

So, anti-virus software.

Windows wants to me install some. I've turned off the notification in the action centre.

However, I did go to the recommended page to browse potential softwares and got swamped under the 20+ that were offered to me. D: I've had really, really negative experiences with AV software in the past, total resource hogs that get in the way, are generally unhelpful, conflict with other software, and in the odd case even seemingly break my 'puters.

So I generally don't use any, and try to practice "safe computer use" as much as possible. Yeah, I know that isn't a great idea generally, something will probably come along and mess with your shit eventually.
And now I'm going to have to start using my laptop in public places, University, schools etc.

What I'd like to know, generally speaking, is what software people are using, and especially if it is on Windows 7 32- or 64- bit, and how that is working out for them. Are they heavy duty programs, paid for, serious software which yeah takes up some resource but does a great job, or lightweight, free easy to use do the job ok-ish types. Or is there something within Windows 7 itself which should keep me safe. I guess there are dedicated websites for this sort of thing, but I like/respect the voice and opinions of the PA crowd more than most hardcore PC hardware/software sites.

So what are you guys running?

fragglefart.jpg
fragglefart on

• Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Used Kaspersky on XP and Vista. 99% of the time it's like it's not even there. Very lightweight, does pretty much everything in the background. Haven't used it on 7 yet.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft's own new anti-virus software free for home use. Lightweight and unobtrusive, I don't see why anyone would pay for the bulky and bloated (not to mention expensive) paid-for anti virus solutions in this day and age.

Except for commercial use, duh.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft's own new anti-virus software free for home use. Lightweight and unobtrusive, I don't see why anyone would pay for the bulky and bloated (not to mention expensive) paid-for anti virus solutions in this day and age.

And a wedge of lime for taste.

While it might not be as hardcore as something like NOD32, it seems to be doing the trick. I've been using this as the go-to free AV for any systems that I've touched that don't have one.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like Avast! and it's been working fine for me on Win7 since the free Win7 beta started.

wonderpug on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm using this. I turn off the real-time protection and just have it scan once a week while I'm sleeping.

a5ehren on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MSE is getting really great reviews. Personally I use NOD32, but from what I've seen as far as buzz about the net, MSE is a strong contender even against that.

Just a note: Couple whatever A/V solution you decide on with a strong Anti-Malware package. MSE is supposed to do both, but in this day in age having MalwareBytes AntiMalware on your system is an absolute must. It's free, lightweight, and easy to use.

And just because I'm that nut: "Safe Browsing" and "Security by Obscurity" are outdated myths these days that will not protect your system. Malware and security intrusions are becoming more sophisticated and insidious these days. Don't doubt the fact that one day "MyFavoriteTrustedWebsiteIVisitAllTheTime.com" will redirect you to "LotsOfMalwareUpYourButt.Shady.ru" without your realizing it. Staying ahead of the curve takes an unfortunate amount of effort, but having an A/V solution as a line of defense is good.

The amount of computing resources that A/V software takes up these days compared to the CPU and memory of most modern machines is trivial, anyhow.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Great info so far thanks guys, at the moment MSE looks like it may find it's way onto my laptop this weekend.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

While it might not be as hardcore as something like NOD32, it seems to be doing the trick. I've been using this as the go-to free AV for any systems that I've touched that don't have one.

I can't agree more. I've been running MSE on all of my Windows computers for a few weeks and I have zero complaints with how this software works.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I can't agree more. I've been running MSE on all of my Windows computers for a few weeks and I have zero complaints with how this software works.

I've been really impressed with it too. I started with realtime disabled, but then noticed that I kept forgetting to turn it off while gaming, and didn't notice any of the usual antivirus-related frame drop in MMOs.

It's extremely unobtrusive too, moreso than any other AV I've dabbled with. That was enough to sell me right there.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you think MSE is more lightweight than Panda Cloud?

Impersonator on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have been using both MSE and Avira AntiVir(on different machines) in both W7.32 and W7.64 with no issues at all.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have little reservation in saying that MSE is the best personal antivirus software on the market today

Azio on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How does MSE stack up against Avast? I really like Avast compared to other suites I've tried, but haven't tried MSE.

Oh, and is MSE as good at spyware related things as Spybot is?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    It's fine, I guess? They are all pretty comparable in terms of their reliability, so the main deciding factor is the performance, the interface, and whether it's constantly annoying you with popups and notifications

In this regard MSE blows everything else out of the water

Azio on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've only used Avast and MSE more than a tiny bit; MSE has a lot less pop-ups and intrusive stuff.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I've only used Avast and MSE more than a tiny bit; MSE has a lot less pop-ups and intrusive stuff.

The only thing that drives me nuts with Avast is the full volume "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!!" sound effect it sometimes blares at inopportune times. Guess I'll be giving MSE a try this weekend.

wonderpug on
    edited October 2009
    I used to use avast because it's really lightweight but let's be honest here: avast comes with skins. And every one of them looks like something that might come on a CD with a Taiwanese motherboard.

Azio on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I use NOD32. It's commercial, so $, but it's one of the best performers in AV tests in terms of detecting and eliminating threats, and it's incredibly light-weight in resource use.

Senjutsu on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haven't used an anti-virus since I installed 7.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Running MSE now, looks pretty snazzy, seems simple enough too.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been running MSE since the betas. I've been a NOD32 fan for years but now use MSE. It's a strong contender with little resource use even against NOD32. My personal favorite is that it does not bother me for anything. Not even letting me know that it's updating.

I've been installing MSE on every PC I come across because most people have I see do not actually have an AV or they have AVG that someone they know installed because that person know PCs.

I will say that MSE is the best AV out on the market now with NOD32 as a solid second.

Dark Shroud on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    another vote here for MSE. Everyone should be running it. None of this "I'm *really* careful on the internet so I don't need AV" bullshit. get it. It's free, it's unobtrusive, it updates with windows update. Get it, run it, do good things for the internet.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    +1 NOD32

That or I run Sophos (get it free from work).
    another vote here for MSE. Everyone should be running it. None of this "I'm *really* careful on the internet so I don't need AV" bullshit. get it. It's free, it's unobtrusive, it updates with windows update. Get it, run it, do good things for the internet.

It really, really, depends on your setup. I work in IT and always berate people for not using AV programs and lax security. Truth be told I don't use it on all PC's at home.

I use NOD32 on my main gaming box, my side one is just bare. I do all work that I don't want to jepordize and banking over a solaris workstation. I sit behind a hardware firewall, and all my media is hosted on a NAS that I don't let go online. I don't use any on the junker laptop I let friends use.

If there is nothing on there you care about, and you aren't using it for anything important, fuck it and bareback the internets. For anything else yeah, that's a dumb idea.

psychotix on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kaspersky Internet Security is what I use - fairly unobtrusive, has an awesome firewall/AV/ad-firltering et al and I love it.

Coupled with firefox with noscript Ive had no issues in recent times.

MrIamMe on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It does its job and stays the fuck out of the way.

Microsoft has really had its shit together lately in a way that it hasn't in a long time.

although any anti-virus program would probably be fine, except for Norton, which is worse than most actual viruses.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »

It does its job and stays the fuck out of the way.

Microsoft has really had its shit together lately in a way that it hasn't in a long time.

although any anti-virus program would probably be fine, except for Norton, which is worse than most actual viruses.

I could tell your HORROR stories about what norton did to packet traffic over subnets at work, Novell network. :lol:

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    you can't even fucking uninstall it without following cryptic directions from some unofficial website and downloading a special "cleaner" program.

It's maybe one notch less shady than Pro Antivirus 2009 [Totally A Legit Program And Not A Virus Edition].

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009
    you can't even fucking uninstall it without following cryptic directions from some unofficial website and downloading a special "cleaner" program.

It's maybe one notch less shady than Pro Antivirus 2009 [Totally A Legit Program And Not A Virus Edition].

I've got one better. When we moved to Sophos they had to cook us up an unistaller that takes about 2 hours to nuke the bitch. :lol:

And it SHITS all over IPX/SPX traffic.:x

I sense a fellow IT worker... er bitch here.

EDIT- I also have gripes with ghost over Novell.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

I've got one better. When we moved to Sophos they had to cook us up an unistaller that takes about 2 hours to nuke the bitch. :lol:

Heh, used to be. I got out of the "high-tech janitor" work after an internship and decided to be a code monkey instead.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009

Heh, used to be. I got out of the "high-tech janitor" work after an internship and decided to be a code monkey instead.

Sysadmin Novell/windows here, helpdesk is also part of my job, filling in for our solaris admin. But code monkey is not much better:mrgreen:

psychotix on
    edited October 2009

Sysadmin Novell/windows here, helpdesk is also part of my job, filling in for our solaris admin. But code monkey is not much better:mrgreen:

Having been there, I'd rather be writing code. At least I don't have to have fifty damn calls of "hey, I can't remember my password, yes, again" each and every day.

edit: Although the IT department always has the best hardware. Back when I was an IT intern, they bought a bunch of gigantic monitors ostensibly for "accessibility" for people with "impaired vision". I found this out after installing one for some 158-year-old lady up in accounting, so I queried the inventory database and sure enough, only two of the like thirty monitors deployed were outside of the IT department. Got a lot of "eye problems" in there I guess.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009

Having been there, I'd rather be writing code. At least I don't have to have fifty damn calls of "hey, I can't remember my password, yes, again" each and every day.

edit: Although the IT department always has the best hardware. Back when I was an IT intern, they bought a bunch of gigantic monitors ostensibly for "accessibility" for people with "impaired vision". I found this out after installing one for some 158-year-old lady up in accounting, so I queried the inventory database and sure enough, only two of the like thirty monitors deployed were outside of the IT department. Got a lot of "eye problems" in there I guess.

Our tier 1 call support fixes that, and we've got others that do "my mouse has broken" and "I can't log into the network".

Hate the alerts over BBM when doors are opened or power fails to any of the data centers at 2am though.

I do like working with Sophos rather then Symantec though... I HATE symantec.

As for hardware, I'm on a dual quadcore box, 5 series xeons, with 24gb ram and quadro. :lol: I use it to, um, telnet into switches and, well other dumb shit that I don't need that power for. But 4 monitors at work in a locked room in shorts and t-shirt, yes fucking please.

I also bought with over head funds a rather nice projector, massive screen and 7.2 surround system, bluray, ps3, 360, and all of it. Fun luch "hour" more like 3.

EDIT- The real cheating falls into "validation" I have to validate any new PC we roll out, before we buy like a thousand of them. In the case of high end workstations, that means me taking over a quadsocket, quadro, with a ton of RAM and trying to break it for a month. Then it becomes mydesktop till the next thing. It's not as abusive as it comes out.

Back to antivirus, NOD32 for home use, Sophos for network, I've yet to see a solution that matches it. And Symantec is a virus.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009

Our tier 1 call support fixes that, and we've got others that do "my mouse has broken" and "I can't log into the network".

Hate the alerts over BBM when doors are opened or power fails to any of the data centers at 2am though.

As for hardware, I'm on a dual quadcore box, 5 series xeons, with 24gb ram and quadro. :lol: I use it to, um, telnet into switches and, well other dumb shit that I don't need that power for. But 4 monitors at work in a locked room in shorts and t-shirt, yes fucking please.

I also bought with over head funds a rather nice projector, massive screen and 7.2 surround system, bluray, ps3, 360, and all of it. Fun luch "hour" more like 3.

There are a bunch of PS3s at my work, and they're all running Linux and used for Cell development, which was disappointing when I found out. Of course, we're starting to move to overpriced IBM blades for that, so I wonder what will happen to the consoles.
    The Cell is a piece of shit and I have no idea why anyone bought that idiotic line of bullshit about it being a supercomputer on a chip or whatever.

anyway, we're getting off topic. To the OP (or anyone): yes, use an antivirus, because "responsible internet habits" only takes you so far in today's world, and even if it was good enough for anything (and it really isn't), other people might use your computer, and those people are idiots.

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009

There are a bunch of PS3s at my work, and they're all running Linux and used for Cell development, which was disappointing when I found out. Of course, we're starting to move to overpriced IBM blades for that, so I wonder what will happen to the consoles.
    The Cell is a piece of shit and I have no idea why anyone bought that idiotic line of bullshit about it being a supercomputer on a chip or whatever.

From when I was at a three letter organization that shall not named, cell works for weather modules and in nodes. Though we used it via the cell PCIE cards and it was used only for specifix reasons... and yes it sucks.

Though I don't work with HF/SHF/UHF and those issues anymore... and glad to be done with it (I hate freqs)

EDIT again- back to topic, use malwarebytes as late cleanup, though some infections are disabling it now. I'll grab info from the letter I sent out at work about some stuff going on lately and then post the links here.

Honestly though, the "I'm safe" works for the most part if you aren't dumb. That stupid virus going in through java is still a pain in the ass, even when you lock it in a lab.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    From when I was at a three letter organization that shall not named, cell works for weather modules and in nodes. Though we used it via the cell PCIE cards and it was used only for specifix reasons... and yes it sucks.

Though I don't work with HF/SHF/UHF and those issues anymore... and glad to be done with it (I hate freqs)

The SPEs are decent floating point crunchers, but not nearly as capable as a GPGPU, and more expensive now that you can't use a loss-leader Playstation for it. And they're bolted on to the worst piece of shit PPC core in existence. The "PPU" might as well be a ten year old Mac it's so slow.
    Honestly though, the "I'm safe" works for the most part if you aren't dumb. That stupid virus going in through java is still a pain in the ass, even when you lock it in a lab.

It works until your girlfriend's little brother comes to visit and then you need to spend the next day reformatting and starting from scratch because it's the only way to be sure.

Daedalus on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »

The only thing that drives me nuts with Avast is the full volume "VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!!" sound effect it sometimes blares at inopportune times. Guess I'll be giving MSE a try this weekend.

You can disable the audio part of the announcements. Well, I'm not sure if you can turn off just that, but you can disable all of Avast!'s sounds, which definitely does the trick.

Dizzen on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So if MSE is awesome that means I can remove Avira? It's a nice AV app, but it gets too many false positives in my machine, mostly FOV correcting little apps for games like GTAIII.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, never have more than one on-access virus scanner installed at a time, or bad things happen.

Daedalus on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so, MSE is less ressource hungry than avast?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The SPEs are decent floating point crunchers, but not nearly as capable as a GPGPU, and more expensive now that you can't use a loss-leader Playstation for it. And they're bolted on to the worst piece of shit PPC core in existence. The "PPU" might as well be a ten year old Mac it's so slow.

It works until your girlfriend's little brother comes to visit and then you need to spend the next day reformatting and starting from scratch because it's the only way to be sure.

Oh god. Noone touches my main pc but me. This I make sure of. Passwords upon passwords upon physical lock and key. Fuck up your own computers, I'll fix it later. You're never touching mine, though.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg