As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HOTAS] Or am I screwed?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
I defer to the wise gods of computer peripherals.

I few weeks ago, I bought a HOTAS setup, a Logitech G940, to replace my dying Saitek FF joystick. And I love it. I'm one of those dinosaurs who needs to have force feedback in my flight sims, who lands as much by feeling the gear bounce as looking at the horizon, calculating my ammunition by how much the stick trembles, etc.

The problem is, a lot of HOTAS setups seem to work by combining three different controllers--the rudder pedals, the throttle stick, and the joystick--in games. Older games that can only recognize one controller at a time won't work with this. Is there a way to get around this? I would love to play MechWarrior 4 with rudder pedals as torso twist, but so far, it doesn't seem possible. Same for other games.

Synthesis on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You might be able to use a joystick emulator for this.

Something like Xpadder, or one of these.

This would allow you to assign the rudder peddals to specific keybindings, though I'm not sure how well it would work.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I use XPadder for WinMugen and things like that, but I wasn't aware that they could handle things like rudder pedals or throttle bars.

Would something like JoyEmu be able to merge together multiple controllers?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Regretable double post: well, xPadder will definitely not do, since it cannot merge controllers. It only works for one at a time.

Does anyone know where to go next with this?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Very important, what OS are you running and how many bits?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Very important, what OS are you running and how many bits?

Vista Home Premium, 32-bit.

Incidentally, I feel like a dumbass, since I just remembered that Logitech released a giant, very comprehensive piece of software that does exactly this for the G940.

Though I'm still screwed when it comes to games like MW4:Mercs that rely on multiple throttle positions (I think), so I'm still really interested in any solutions.

Synthesis on