As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinkgeek servers down 1 minute after CTS Cel

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    ctsprint_2.jpg

This is the one Gabe himself posted on the main page, which I assume is their representative sample the printers gave them. I can't imagine they'd have any better lighting conditions than any of us would.

I'd give it a few days for more people to get theirs, and then post your question again, maybe in H/A this time, for more responses.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DaddyCoolDaddyCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    well looking at the actual example above rather than the one on ThinkGeek which I assume that is indeed a copy from the printers.

The one on ThinkGeek must literally be the original.

I have emailed Gabe to ask his opinion fingers crossed I get a reply.

I think if you want to get picky about things then the example on ThinkGeek is totally false advertising and he should have posted the original on the cover page and a proper example on ThinkGeek.

I certainly dont want to blow this out of proportion but BECAUSE I am a HUGE FAN I am disappointed in the quality.

DaddyCool on
    <pls insert unimpressive PC specs here>
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Mine is dark too, but I'm still happy with it. I got number 450.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    GaminGamin Brockport, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Man...

I am like seriously bummed. Why is thinkgeek still processing mine? I've emailed Gabe... I've emailed ThinkGeek.... I'm getting no responses anywhere.

;;

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    Well got mine today, complete with bend all the way down the middle of the print, tearing the matting. Planning on calling ThinkGeek tomorrow...

Just curious why everyone is so down on people ordering multiples. I can understand the disappointment in not getting one, but most people that buy multiples are either going to sell them (thereby making them available again) or are going to give them to friends who are fans of PA. If a print sells for more on the secondary market than when it originally sold thats just economics, if something is highly sought after it is therefore more valuable, especially something that is of limited quantity. It doesn't make anyone evil. On the other hand, if someone just purchased a few and hoarded them then that would suck.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Got mine today. Yeah, it's kinda dark, but I'm not dissappointed at all. It looks freaking beautiful, and I'm getting that shit framed.

#697 by the by.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    mcjohnso wrote:
    Just curious why everyone is so down on people ordering multiples. I can understand the disappointment in not getting one, but most people that buy multiples are either going to sell them (thereby making them available again) or are going to give them to friends who are fans of PA. If a print sells for more on the secondary market than when it originally sold thats just economics, if something is highly sought after it is therefore more valuable, especially something that is of limited quantity. It doesn't make anyone evil. On the other hand, if someone just purchased a few and hoarded them then that would suck.

So you think someone thats forced to buy their print from you at double or triple the original value should just be pleased they are getting a print?

In a normal market place people that resell products do it by adding value to the product. For example not many people wish to purchase a crate load of chocolate bars and carry around a stack of them everywhere they go, so when you purchase the chocolate bar from a shop you are happy to pay a reasonable mark up.

What service are you offering exactly? Cos as far as I can see you just wish to make a fast buck for little effort.

I would suggest that rather than trying to make pitiful amounts of money in an unsustainable way why not actually think of a business idea where you can make money without screwing people over.

And before you ask I'm the joint owner of a company that makes Computer Software for the automotive industry, so I do know a little about what I am talking about.

DaddyCool on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    mcjohnso wrote:
    Well got mine today, complete with bend all the way down the middle of the print, tearing the matting. Planning on calling ThinkGeek tomorrow...

Because it's like taking advantage of family, and that would make you a dick.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    So if someone puts a print on ebay for the original price ($80) and the end price is more simply because people are willing to pay more to acquire it, then that person is a dick? Doesn't it occur to you that these things are MEANT to attain a higher value seeing as how they are LIMITED EDITION prints? If the PA guys didn't intend for this to happen they would print as many as they needed to fill orders wouldn't they? Just like the chocolate companies that keep making chocolate bars as long as people buy them.

Do you all suggest that no matter what these prints should only ever be sold for their original $80 price? If thats the case whatever you do don't go into real estate then.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    There is a difference between buying one for your wall, knowing that not many people have them and it may go up in value, and hording 7 on the day they go on sale just to package them away for a profit later on.

Have you ever purchased tickets for a concert? Doesn't it bother you that somehow scalpers can always snatch up the first 5 rows and then sell them at 5 times the price? They may not even know anything about the band that was playing that night.

The fact that there are loyal fans camping the website who want one for their wall and they may not get one because somebody wants to make a quick buck does make that somebody a jack ass.

Gamin on
    Damn i really like Ferrari, but they are letting the fans down because other car companies sell more cars than them!
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    mcjohnso wrote:
    So if someone puts a print on ebay for the original price ($80) and the end price is more simply because people are willing to pay more to acquire it, then that person is a dick? Doesn't it occur to you that these things are MEANT to attain a higher value seeing as how they are LIMITED EDITION prints? If the PA guys didn't intend for this to happen they would print as many as they needed to fill orders wouldn't they? Just like the chocolate companies that keep making chocolate bars as long as people buy them.

Do you all suggest that no matter what these prints should only ever be sold for their original $80 price? If thats the case whatever you do don't go into real estate then.

If you put it on eBay at a Buy Now price of $80, then you may have a point. Everything else is just jackassery.

You want to know why? Because it's artifically inflating the price. These things are limited to begin with. Do you get that? Only 750 people in the world will ever own one. It should go up in value only because of that fact. But by buying 10 of them, only to turn around and sell them on ebay, you've reduced the initial number of people that may own one, thus unnaturally inflating the price.

Look, we get that it's not illegal. But it's still a shitty and immoral thing to do, just because you're too lazy to go and get a real job.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I think if it was limited to 1 copy per person and you want to see yours fine, but buying more than 1 to make money off of the penny arcade community is just messed up.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Interesting that there's a CTS on ebay already (with Twisp & Catsby included) and another Twisp & Catsby too...

Neither being mine btw, the first I heard about the Twisp & Catsby cell was when they announced they'd all sold out. :(

Got the extra-geeky # 386 for my CTS cell though :)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Damn. those prices almost make me want to sell mine.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DudeMiesterDudeMiester Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Got mine yesterday, and IT ROCKS!!!! I know it's a little dark, but frame it up and put it in a room with lots of natural light and it'll be freakin' gorgeous.

I got #269, nice low ## and I'm keeping it forever. No e-bay here.

DudeMiester on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    jackassery

I think I love that word.

EDIT:

I think there are only two moral methods of selling your print on Ebay (yet very questionable still):

1) Any profit is given to Childsplay charity. (who are u to decide to auction Gabes prints for his own charity without his permission).

2) You are selling the ONLY and single print you have purchased due to either financial pressure or because you are bored of the artwork. (who can honestly say either of these is likely in this timeframe)

Anything else boils down to greed and certainly not moral business practices.

Back to chocolate bars.... a closer comparison would be all the manufacturers getting together and saying right we're only going to sell 100 bars once a year however they will be at the normal price. Wouldnt u be annoyed to have to buy chocolate off ebay for $100 a bar simply cos there is no other option.

DaddyCool on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I love you guys that suggest that someone that would sell a print on eBay is too lazy to get a real job. I don't remember getting the memo that if someone has a job then they can't seek additional money from other sources or that doing so makes them a jackass.

I would also like to know how any of this is different from what an art broker or any other agent that makes money off of other peoples products do? I just don't understand the animosity thats coming from this community regarding the reselling of a piece of art. If I buy a Monet (there certainly are a limited number of those), hold on to it for a while and when I eventually sell it its worth more than when I bought it is that an immoral act? If so how is that immoral exactly? I'm not trying to stir up a fight or anything, I'm truly at a loss regarding the IMMORAL viewpoint.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005

Of course if you sold yours it would be at a buy it now of $80 right? Otherwise it would be jackassery.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2005
    I don't see any problem with people selling on extra prints. If Gabe and Tycho don't want people doing it they can feel free to limit the purchases. Let's not impose our moral values on other people, eh chaps?

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I decided to sell mine. :cry:

I didn't really want to, but I didn't get a scholarship that I was hoping for, so I'm trying to sell off stuff to help pay for tuition.

For the record, I only bought one. I was planning on keeping it. I went frame shopping and everything.

I don't know if you guys think I'm a jackass or participating in jackassery or not, but it was a decision of how important getting a degree was. Decided that I could do without the print.

So now its up for auction... :cry:

C'est la vie, I guess.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    The Monet comparison is somewhat valid, but I think there we're talking about a serious investment.

These cels are mostly fun just for us and it would be nice if 750 of us who geniuinely wanted one could get one for the $80. If you bought two and sold one for $160 to essentially get one free... I'd look the other way on that.

But if you scooped up 10 and sold them all for huge profits at the expense of family (as another poster put it), I would be less inclined to think it was OK.

And really, all we're talking about here is what we each deem acceptable social behavior to be. A lot of people are business first and that's their right and I won't take it away from them. They simply won't have my friendship. (No great loss, I know...)

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Lexicon wrote:

Of course if you sold yours it would be at a buy it now of $80 right? Otherwise it would be jackassery.

You'll note I said almost. I wouldn't sell mine, because I bought it as a piece of art to appreciate. Don't get me wrong... the money's enticing, and I would be lying if I said it wasn't alluring to me as well. But it's still a shitty reason to hoard prints.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    falcon9xr > No I dont think you are a jackass, if you only bought one and you did it for the love of the art then thats all that matters. IMHO

mcjohnso > I never suggested you were too lazy to get a real job. But I did suggest you could find a better method of making money. I think the problem WE have here is we are talking about a subject we feel strongly about (else none of us would have purchased a print), if we were talking about limited edition LOTR figurines I wouldn't give a rats ass but I would be sympathic to a LOTR fan.

The long and the short of it is I think your method of "making a little extra money" is sad and not something I wish to make you feel better about doing.

Sell yours or dont it makes no difference to me as I have my print. Although when the next print comes out I hope you REALLY want it and cos someone has bought the last 10 you are forced to go to ebay and pay $300+. Just dont come crying to us. :lol:

DaddyCool on
  • Options
    BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Of course, the more people sell theirs the less they will be worth. The same thing happened with the ITV monkeys, which some of you may recall.

BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Mine came Tuesday and I brought it to the local frame shop to get it done. The guy told me three weeks and he'd call me when it was done. THREE WEEKS. Ugh. So I went with a nice cherry rose frame with a bit of rounding on the edge, but not the corner. I was worried that the frame was going to be worth more $ wise, not personal wise, then the print, but that is put to rest now. Oh, and #278 here.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Guys... mine is still freaking processing. I've emailed both Gabe and Tycho and most likely got lost in some junk mail filter, as I haven't gotten anything back. I emailed thinkgeek and after 3 days they responded with "We'll check our warehouses" Yeah, that's comforting...

><

Gamin on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Mine was "undeliverable as addressed" according to DHL's tracking site :evil: I had it shipped to my place of work because that's where I am during the day. I entered the address correctly and we receive large packages from DHL there all the time, so it shouldn't have been a problem. According to the DHL customer service, the package was automatically returned to ThinkGeek. I emailed Thinkgeek and they say they're sorry and they'll email me back when they have further information. Bleh.

The funny thing is that about a year and a half ago I ordered two shirts from them and had this exact same thing happen. Except that time I had it shipped to my old apartment which was a P.O. Box, so it was sort of my fault. I talked to Thinkgeek CS for a little bit, but then forgot about it. I never actually got those shirts even though I paid for them. It sucks that the same exact thing happened again. As much as I like the idea of Thinkgeek and support what they try to do, I don't think I'll be ordering anything from them ever again.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    -Sol--Sol- Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    What sort of pricing are folks getting to frame the CTS print? I'm dreading the idea of going to a framing shop because of mark-up and the attempt to use a poster frame failed - matting too think. ;)

-Sol- on
    Avalloc on Xbox Live
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I'm expecting anywhere from $40 to $100 depending on quality and materials (ie, glass or plastic).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    NoizNoiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I just wanna give my 2 cents regarding the whole buying multiples thing...

If you were to buy one print for yourself and then later sell it due to financial constraints, being bored of the work or whatever and you make a huge profit off it, that's absolutely fine. You're selling your one and only copy on to someone willing to pay a large sum for it, which is the same as the Monet analogy earlier.

However, these people buying multiple prints PURELY to keep one and make a profit off the other is taking the piss. In my mind they're no better than the ticket touts you see outside concerts. Moving back to the chocolate analogy, it's like 2 friends going to a shop to buy chocolate, one of them buying the last 2 bars in the shop and then selling one to his friend at a hugely inflated price. It's just greed in the end, it's taking away from the "true" fans who got up at 5am in the morning to try and get one. And you can always tell the people that have done this as on eBay their auction will say things like "never opened and in its protective sleeve".

I also say this from personal experience. Due to Thinkgeek screwing up and not confirming my order I actually ended up with 2 prints in the end, and instead of selling the second on eBay for a huge profit I offered it to one of the posters in this thread who was just a little too late to get one.. AT COST. If this person (I won't say who it was but he's welcome to say) didn't want the print then I would've eBayed it, explained my story, and then either put a But It Now price on it or donated the profit to a charity of the winner's choice.

I dunno if that'll give me a "holier than thou" impression with you guys but there you go. I just wouldn't feel right making a profit off someone else's disappointment. The same disappointment I felt when I missed the Twisp and Catsby print.

Noiz on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Noiz wrote:
    I just wanna give my 2 cents regarding the whole buying multiples thing...

If you were to buy one print for yourself and then later sell it due to financial constraints, being bored of the work or whatever and you make a huge profit off it, that's absolutely fine. You're selling your one and only copy on to someone willing to pay a large sum for it, which is the same as the Monet analogy earlier.

However, these people buying multiple prints PURELY to keep one and make a profit off the other is taking the piss. In my mind they're no better than the ticket touts you see outside concerts. Moving back to the chocolate analogy, it's like 2 friends going to a shop to buy chocolate, one of them buying the last 2 bars in the shop and then selling one to his friend at a hugely inflated price. It's just greed in the end, it's taking away from the "true" fans who got up at 5am in the morning to try and get one. And you can always tell the people that have done this as on eBay their auction will say things like "never opened and in its protective sleeve".

I also say this from personal experience. Due to Thinkgeek screwing up and not confirming my order I actually ended up with 2 prints in the end, and instead of selling the second on eBay for a huge profit I offered it to one of the posters in this thread who was just a little too late to get one.. AT COST. If this person (I won't say who it was but he's welcome to say) didn't want the print then I would've eBayed it, explained my story, and then either put a But It Now price on it or donated the profit to a charity of the winner's choice.

I dunno if that'll give me a "holier than thou" impression with you guys but there you go. I just wouldn't feel right making a profit off someone else's disappointment. The same disappointment I felt when I missed the Twisp and Catsby print.

<3

I am writing on my organ donor card "Noiz gets first dibs" for this mate.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    NoizNoiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Sweet, I've always wanted a second pair of eyes! :D

Noiz on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Noiz, can you use your powers of niceness to make thinkgeek ship mine?

This is all under the grand assumption they have one to ship.

Gamin on
  • Options
    Colonel MustardColonel Mustard Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Can someone give to a link to that website that has all those loops like the tom cruise kills oprah thing.

Colonel Mustard on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    FAUrrego wrote:
    Can someone give to a link to that website that has all those loops like the tom cruise kills oprah thing.
    Wrong thread.

Here is what you are looking for. REALLY REALLY NSFW STUFF CAN BE FOUND HERE, be careful.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    $180 to frame this sucker. Ouch. :)

But hey, it'll have no-glare glass and a really sleek black frame.

Which with the half-off special ended up costing me $90.

-Sol- on
    Avalloc on Xbox Live
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Well I got mine today after much delay. They hooked me up and I'm happy. :)

Gamin on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Mine arrived! Love, kisses, and general molestations to you Noiz, you could have sold this for eleventy billion pounds on ebay, but you sold it to me for cost. I declare you KING.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    Looks like PVP Online is trying to cash in on the print craze from PA sales. Unfortunately, after 24 hours the 500 run of prints isn't sold out. Hell, its much smaller than CTS and costs $60. Despite being a limited run the artwork really isn't on same level as Gabe's print.

pvp_cel.jpg

-Sol- on
    Avalloc on Xbox Live
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    Yup

Älphämönkëy on
This discussion has been closed.