As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 and Anti-Virus : Yay or Nay?

2»

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so, MSE is less ressource hungry than avast?
    well I dunno about that

but as far as antivirus software goes MSE is very lightweight and more importantly it is completely silent

once you complete the initial setup process you won't even know it's there

Azio on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is AVG still worth using? I noticed nobody has even mentioned it so far, and I've had good experiences with it but if its below par I'd like to know.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so, MSE is less ressource hungry than avast?

I'm going to say yes it is, at least it appears that way from current use. For me it's on par with NOD32, I noticed no hit in performance when I switched over after my license ran out.

Naphtali wrote: »
    Is AVG still worth using? I noticed nobody has even mentioned it so far, and I've had good experiences with it but if its below par I'd like to know.

Yes AVG has been going down hill for awhile now. It's gotten bloated and has issues with detecting & removing some of the nastier stuff.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MSE is probably more odious than a minimal avast install (that's with everything disabled except for the Standard Shield) but, again, it is far more pleasant to work with

and yeah AVG is awful

Azio on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So been running MSE for a day now, had a play with it, run a couple scans. Really liking what it does, it's so tiny and stays out of the way. Nice piece of software. I can't believe how bad anti-virus software used to be. Norton can die! AVG too, for that matter, although only ever used that at work, and it was nothing like as bad as Norton.

Thanks thread!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alright, thanks for the heads up on AVG. I'm gonna try MSE on my desktop for a bit and see how it goes.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You should run some kind of anti-virus. It does look like MS Security Essentials is shaping up to be good. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4512

In addition to the anti-virus, I've gotta chime in on a couple of other things if you really want to be careful (day job creeping in here...):

1. Browse with Firefox + NoScript. http://noscript.net/ . Yes this can be a pain until you get your normally visited sites whitelisted but it will save your butt when
    "MyFavoriteTrustedWebsiteIVisitAllTheTime.com" will redirect you to "LotsOfMalwareUpYourButt.Shady.ru" without your realizing it.

2. If you're really paranoid, use a second browser to do your banking/finances and never use FF to visit these sites. Only use this browser for banking/finances. If your day-to-day browsing gets your browser compromised, they won't have access to your banking/finances without getting some malware on your machine.

3. Follow the rules you tell your grandma. (Strong passwords, use different passwords for different sites especially your email, don't download from strangers, etc.)

-Mazlo

Mazlo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    here's a screenshot of Task Manager while MSE runs a full scan
    2cnk28.png

Generally this process (which is only visible if you hit "View Processes From All Users") hovers between 30 and 80 megs. CPU usage is negligible. I don't know how this compares to other AV clients but you get the idea.

Azio on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mazlo wrote: »
    2. If you're really paranoid, use a second browser to do your banking/finances and never use FF to visit these sites. Only use this browser for banking/finances. If your day-to-day browsing gets your browser compromised, they won't have access to your banking/finances without getting some malware on your machine.

I know a few people who actually have Ubuntu virtual machines in place for doing online banking. That's probably the best route.

Oh, and I must say, I've been running MSE for several days now. I barely even notice that it's installed. It's pretty cool so far.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is this thing usable on Vista, too?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm using MSSE at the moment, never had any problem with it. Seems to be very responsive, happily sits in the background and keeps quiet and requests a quick scan every Friday by turning the icon Orange, which is nice enough. Seems to be getting good reviews as well.

My second recommendation would be NOD32.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Security Essentials? Yes, it's supported on XP (32 Bit), Vista (32 & 64 Bit), and 7 (32 & 64 Bit).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Security Essentials? Yes, it's supported on XP (32 Bit), Vista (32 & 64 Bit), and 7 (32 & 64 Bit).

Cool. I'm really thinking about removing the AVG 9.0 suite I have.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Has anyone seen any head-to-head comparison of MSE and NOD yet? MSE seems to be getting nothing but positive responses, and the guys over at Wilder's seem to be down on NOD lately for having less-than-stellar ratings when it comes to new stuff.

I'm running NOD currently, but I figure MSE might be a better bet seeing as its bound to be more compatible. Plus, their labs are supposedly really quick when it comes to submission/false positive.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MSE hasn't been tested in any of the major av comparatives AFAIK; it's too new.

edit: also I'm not sure what tests those guys are looking at, but NOD was still top tier in the past few I've seen.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    MSE hasn't been tested in any of the major av comparatives AFAIK; it's too new.

edit: also I'm not sure what tests those guys are looking at, but NOD was still top tier in the past few I've seen.

I hadn't thought of that, but I guess MSE really is fresh on the market and these tests take time. Unfortunately, I almost feel like the time it takes to assess a product's efficacy in these matters is enough for the entire game to change.

Most of the problems NOD seems to run into these days are with Day0 infections, largely rogue A/V malware. It's probably just a case of 'Trouble in River City', but I never do have a good grasp of what's real and what's hype.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just remember this, Windows Live OneCare actually did a good job. MSE was designed to do better.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just remember this, Windows Live OneCare actually did a good job. MSE was designed to do better.

yea, one care was decent, it's biggest problem was that it nagged you every 5 minutes letting you know it was doing something, wanted you to do something, or was letting you know it just did something. I ran the Beta of OneCare way back in the day and I un-installed it after 2 days because of that.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From the last article posted, it seems MSE is lacking heuristic detection and only uses signatures. Even with frequent updates, there is a good chance something new could slip in. It should be fine for that little extra bit for people who generally don't have issues with viruses, but there is no way I would choose it over nod32 for repeat offenders.

eidt: misread that - it was hips / behaviour not heuristics. I'd still be remiss in recommending it over nod for people who just keep getting infected.

stigweard on