As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

*Thud*...Oh shit. Laptop Screen repair

PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas JeffersonRegistered User regular
It finally happened.

I generally check my laptop before running to work. I have it on or next to my couch usually and just hit a few sites, check my work email etc in the morning. Unfortunately, as I got up to actually leave for work, it happened.

*Thud*

The laptop had fallen off the arm of the couch and it was immediately obvious the LCD screen was damaged. I tried the futile quick reboot (but haven't yet tried plugging it into a separate display to verify that the video card is fine) and there's a significant amount of bleeding in the lower right and corruption on the right side. Of course, its about six months out of warranty unless I remembered to get the accident coverage, which I don't think I did.

A replacement screen from HP looks like it runs around $450 before shipping but presumably that comes with installation. I can find an identical screen for $125 but I'd have to install it myself unless I found someplace local that would do it for me.

I do have some experience in this area, replacing the LCD on my 30G I-Pod and building my own desktop computer in the past (and I'm a programmer). But cracking open a laptop seems like its pretty risky. This site: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-lcd-screen-inverter-board-hp-pavilion-dv9000-laptop/ seems to have step by step instructions for my general model, but its usually not as straight forward as it looks.

1 - Has anyone replaced their laptop/notebook screen before? How bad was it?
2 - Has anyone sent in a notebook/laptop for LCD replacement to HP and how bad was that experience?

(Mods: And if this is more properly H/A feel free to move)

11793-1.png
day9gosu.png
QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
PantsB on

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It is not all that difficult. You could probably find a YouTube of someone doing the repair.

Jubal77 on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    1 - Has anyone replaced their laptop/notebook screen before? How bad was it?

I've replaced the screen on a Gateway laptop and it wasn't hard at all. It'd be a fun project for you.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two non-horror stories, that's reassuring. The IPod repair worked well and was a nice project but a laptop is another order of magnitude and I don't want to screw up the wireless antennas.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Those should be seated to the side. All you have to do is remove a few screws to take off the panel on the LCD and then remove the keyboard. Replace and put everything back in.

Jubal77 on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pants,

Post or PM me the specific model details of your laptop (usually found on the serial# panel/sticker, but no serial# needed of course) - I can find a maintenance manual for your specific type on HP's site rather quickly. My brother and I actually did a Compaq Presario's screen (no more than 18 months old) last month and it's rather easy once you have the official steps. Just make sure you have some sub-1 sized phillips (in fact the manual will tell you all the necessary tools to strip it bare).

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've done dozens of them and I hate doing them, but it isn't hard. It will be fine as long as you have the right tools, a well lit, clean space to work in, and some patience.

stigweard on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I made a halftop about six months ago out of a busted Dell and it was easy enough to disassemble. I can't see swapping out a screen being much more difficult.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    get an icecube tray to organize the screws as you take them out (I write labels in the trays like, MB = screws directly from the motherboard, BT= screws from the bottom of the laptop, LCD=screws directly from the screen...)
    dv9000's are pretty big and easy. remember to remove the battery (so there's no power, also there are screws under it that hold the top on)

and remember, if a piece is being difficult in coming off you probably missed a screw somewhere.

Xantus on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've completely unscrewed the screen of my Dell Laptop without a problem. I didn't touch the mobo connections, but getting the screen itself free of the hinge assembly wasn't too tough.

Delzhand on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This looks like the closest thread where I can share my similar problem.

Earlier this year, I purchased a refurbished laptop from Compusa. It's been working fine with no problems, until recently.

While tilting my screen slightly (or to open it after closing the lid), there's no image coming from the LCD. Tilting it again slightly fixes the screen, but clearly there's a loose wire or something else going on. According to a guy from Best Buy who took a quick look, it's most likely a problem with the LCD inverter, or I/O cable.

Since the laptop only had a 90 day warranty, HP says the flat rate for fixing it is a motherfucking $290. Best Buy wouldn't be any cheaper since they would send it to HP in the first place.

So right now it's not a major problem, but I feel if I leave it alone I might lose the screen image entirely. So with that in mind, I could really use your guys help to find the cheapest solution to this.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    It's really not that bad. If you've done an LCD swap on an iPod, you'll be fine on this. Watch video, and if possible have another system nearby so you can check references as you go.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
    edited November 2009
    And what about my situation? Is it something I should be able to handle on my own?

• Tanooki MarioTanooki Mario __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    And what about my situation? Is it something I should be able to handle on my own?

*facepalm* I didn't realize you bumped an old thread for a separate issue with your own problem. If you feel you're mechanically inclined enough, have a blast.

Tanooki Mario on
    I'm the artist formerly known as Satan.
    edited November 2009
    I certainly don't consider myself mechanically inclined. I just wanted to know if it was an easy enough thing to pull off, or if I'm better off finding someone else to do it.

I'm perfectly fine with the latter option, but as you read, HP is charging damn near the price of the notebook itself. Are there any non-retail places that should be able to do the job at a much lower price? What if I asked around my college's computer lab?

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The laptop repair ended up pretty easy btw.

The way my laptop, and most as I understand it, works is you have a plastic covering outside the screen than can be screwed off. Underneath, there will be a power supply connected to a component under your screen that then connects to the screen. Its entirely possible that your issue could be fixed by fiddling with that.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited November 2009
    I've seen a couple tutorials, and it does look fairly easy to pull off.

What keeps me from attempting this is that I don't know what the issue is. If it's the inverter, it looks like you can just do a simple swap job, end of story.

But if it's a wire, then I'm less hesitant to try it, because I wouldn't know which wire is the issue, or how to replace it.

Unless you can say with utmost certainty it's the inverter.