As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The "upcoming lower-level stuff you're excited about" thread

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Let's cut right to the chase: a lot of the big-budget games will have fans waiting eagerly and chattin' up a storm for months before release, but anything that isn't billed a a triple-A title's either ignored or only gets notice by specific niche fans or people who watch the developers making it. So in this here thread I say we start settin' each other up on upcoming games that probably aren't gonna' get a lot of attention but are pretty cool lookin' nonetheless.

I just found out about 3D Dot Game Heroes from Something Awful and holy shit I just went from clueless to stoked in the span of two minutes. It's like From Software is single-handedly selling me on a PS3.

Sorenson on

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had been hearing about that game, and now that I've seen the trailer...I don't get it. It's a fantasy RPG made with Legos?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    More of a Zelda parody made with Legos

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing it's like a spoof on old-school Zelda and Dragon Quest with special loving care made to integrate it into modern game and graphics design while still keeping it as deliciously eight-bitty as possible. It's like that one for the DS that's a collection of fake old-school games including a full-blown Dragon Quest knockoff.

Sorenson on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Torchlight fits these criteria pretty well. Download only (for now) Diablo-style dungeon crawler with a unique art style, made by former Blizzard staffers? With a comprehensive, open-format level/game editor?

For $20?

Niiiiice

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88543

Delzhand on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fez so hard.

Trailer

On XBLA, sometime next year.

LewieP on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to start a thread about it next week but I'm extremely pumped up for Naruto:CoR3.

Playtested by tournament caliber players from the biggest Naruto competitive forums. Tons and tons of fixes, rebalanced gravity, broken combos fixed, moves to balance out wake up specials, command throws for all, everyone has special abilities in crisis mode, some of which are ridiculous. Hyped as the Best game since the legendary Naruto:GNT 4.

40 bones nets you the regular edition, 50 for the special which includes a movie. Not bad at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's like a spoof on old-school Zelda and Dragon Quest with special loving care made to integrate it into modern game and graphics design while still keeping it as deliciously eight-bitty as possible. It's like that one for the DS that's a collection of fake old-school games including a full-blown Dragon Quest knockoff.

I think you hit the head on the nail right there. You can definitely tell they love the 8-bit games and whatnot too, especially because of the loading screens. They were posted here in another thread. The Castlevania one is my favorite.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RUSE. Definitely RUSE. I wasn't that interested in it until they showcased the latest trailer, the system at play seems like it could rife for all sorts of interesting tactics, part direct RTS strategy, part which "cards" you choose to play. Although since it's yet another WWII game (heck, another WWII RTS), I'm not expecting it to get much hype going.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pump-fake-r-u-s-e/57723

Also, given everything else that's coming out, I'm actually expecting Bioshock 2 to not do so well this time around.

EDIT: youtube if anyone wants, click link and watch in hi-def.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UttsencTc_Q&f=22

subedii on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Fez so hard.

Trailer

I really hope that there'll be a PC version of that. I want to play it.

Peewi on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sollah wrote: »

I think you hit the head on the nail right there. You can definitely tell they love the 8-bit games and whatnot too, especially because of the loading screens. They were posted here in another thread. The Castlevania one is my favorite.
    Oh my fucking god.

God dammit. Borderlands and L4D2 and new ram for my PC and now this and Demon's Souls and a PS3. I hope you're happy about what you've done.

Sorenson on
    edited October 2009
    Sollah wrote: »

Oh my fucking god.

God dammit. Borderlands and L4D2 and new ram for my PC and now this and Demon's Souls and a PS3. I hope you're happy about what you've done.

Best Buy is having a B2G1 free sale right after TRU and Amazon had similar sales. Go nuts.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just went from clueless to stoked in the span of two minutes. It's like From Software is single-handedly selling me on a PS3.

That looks so awesome. I want a PS3 so badly now. Christmas is coming...

My most anticipated game is Shiren the Wanderer Wii, though. Even more than Borderlands (still waiting for the PC release!) and L4D2 and NSMB Wii, Shiren is the one game I am dying to play. The DS one is one of my favourite games ever, and I know the Wii version will be epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISS30c_WVsI

elevature on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fez so hard.

Trailer

Was coming here to post exactly that. I am so utterly feverish for this game.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Does Painkiller Ressurection counts for upcoming lower-level stuff? Not many people know it,but its so fucking fun.

AdditionalPylons on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I saw the 3D Dot Game Heroes trailer a few days ago. It's like the best thing ever. All of the NPC animations mimic NES-era sprites. I think the whole thing is a tribute to that era of gaming, like Dragon Quest / Legend of Zelda type stuff, and it looks like it's doing it well.

Sollah pointed out to me that the loading screens for the game are tributes to NES game cartridge art. Castlevania and Megaman 3 are the one's I've seen so far.

Henroid on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    I just went from clueless to stoked in the span of two minutes. It's like From Software is single-handedly selling me on a PS3.

My most anticipated game is Shiren the Wanderer Wii, though. Even more than Borderlands (still waiting for the PC release!) and L4D2 and NSMB Wii, Shiren is the one game I am dying to play. The DS one is one of my favourite games ever, and I know the Wii version will be epic.
    So is hoping for Shiren 2 to come over here pretty much a lost cause at this point? Because I'd rather play Shiren on my DS.

Edit: Never mind, I just realized that the Shiren that we got over here is the second one. So uh... go 3, I guess?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I hope Way of the Samurai 3 turns out okay. I haven't really been following it at all, but it sems to have gotten some really positive hype, unlike the second game. Way of the Samurai was a great game, but there was definite room for improvement, so hopefully they can outdo it this time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited October 2009
    LewieP on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fez so hard.

Trailer

Hell yes, looking forward to this.

I'd forgotten about this game but it also looks pretty sweet. When is it supposed to be released?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So uh Fez looks absolutely amazing.

Senshi on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That trailer looked pretty sweet, but when I looked up what platform it's on, the developer doesn't even know yet.

CygnusZ on
    edited October 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    So uh Fez looks absolutely amazing.

And sounds, too. I would honestly buy a cd of that music.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lork wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »

So is hoping for Shiren 2 to come over here pretty much a lost cause at this point? Because I'd rather play Shiren on my DS.

Edit: Never mind, I just realized that the Shiren that we got over here is the second one. So uh... go 3, I guess?

There is a second (third?) Shiren on DS, but it is highly unlikely that it is coming out here since the first one didn't sell. But maybe if the Wii one does better, Atlus will bring the DS one over as well? I'd rather play it on DS as well, but I'm just happy we're getting another. There is an unfinished fan translation of Shiren DS 2 floating around, I'm very tempted to import and give it a shot.

elevature on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fez looks like absolutely nothing new to anyone who's played Echocrome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just saw a game called Infinite Space for the DS mentioned on a list of RPGs coming out next year. At first I thought it was a Eliteish game on the DS. But after a change of pants, it seems it's more like a JRPG with customizable spaceships instead of normal characters.

Not OMG must have but seems interesting.

More here on a 1up blog.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited October 2009

So we can cross five potential sales off the list.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

Bringing the total sales of Fez to 32.

Nah, actually I think Fez looks really cool, just everyone seems to be splooging like it's doing something new.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

Bringing the total sales of Fez to 32.

Nah, actually I think Fez looks really cool, just everyone seems to be splooging like it's doing something new.

To be fair, having only one other game that could be said to bear any similarities, it's still pretty 'new'. If it were a flooded genre then we could have something, but at the moment, we're still good.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2009

Really?

Really?

Because one is a platformer where the player can shift dimensions.

And one is a puzzle game with a perspective based "what you see is what is real" mechanic.

Pretty different.

A closer comparison would be Crush or Super Paper Mario, but crush wasn't all that great, and Super Paper Mario was OK, but really didn't do anything clever or fun with the mechanic.

LewieP on
    edited October 2009
    Doesn't Super Paper Mario do the same thing as well?

I haven't actually played it but that's how I've heard it described.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009
    Doesn't Super Paper Mario do the same thing as well?

I haven't actually played it but that's how I've heard it described.

Yes, except not for any platforming puzzles/gameplay really.

It's mostly just "The button/key is hidden behind something" type stuff.

LewieP on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am very likely alone in this. Drops on Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWeNJtafdM

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited October 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

What. The. Fuck

UnbreakableVow on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You have no idea the cult following Press Your Luck has. Hell, apparently some old PYL fans saw the trailer, specifically the game boards, and browbeat the developers into making the boards more historically accurate.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited October 2009
    I don't have any idea of the cult following.

I've never even heard of this thing before.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009

So very alone.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited October 2009
    It's a game show from the 1980's. Legendary among game show aficionados because of a guy named Michael Larson.

See, in the 80's, CBS didn't have an RNG to use, so they had to go with set patterns as to how that light bounced around the board. They only made five patterns, which was enough for pretty much everybody to THINK it was random. Larson, however, noticed that it wasn't. He memorized the patterns, got on the show, and soaked CBS for well over $100,000.

CBS retired those five patterns immediately and made 22 new ones. Those held up.

Gosling on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    but crush wasn't all that great

Foolishness, Crush was superb.

In terms of actual games i think* that the Night Game could be pretty good.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-night-game/50897
    I'm sold more on the concept, i reserve the right to change my opinion if the game is terrible.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited October 2009
    It's a game show from the 1980's. Legendary among game show aficionados because of a guy named Michael Larson.

See, in the 80's, CBS didn't have an RNG to use, so they had to go with set patterns as to how that light bounced around the board. They only made five patterns, which was enough for pretty much everybody to THINK it was random. Larson, however, noticed that it wasn't. He memorized the patterns, got on the show, and soaked CBS for well over $100,000.

CBS retired those five patterns immediately and made 22 new ones. Those held up.

Wonder if that's where 30 Rock got the idea for Gold Case.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited October 2009
    Awesome Stan: “What are whammies?”
    Ronnie: “Deh unwelcome thief of Press Your Luck.”

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png