As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 10-21-09: Don't be all emotional...

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    Streets of Gotham this week just reminded me how much I miss Birds of Prey and the full Manhunter series. Anyone have a scan of the last page of the Manhunter backup, with the newspaper?
    xofexy.jpg

Anyway, I really liked the issue. I went in with low expectations for Chris Yost's story since Red Robin isn't too great, but I liked it a lot. He writes a good Huntress. Really the only problem I had was her costume, but I guess sex sells

And Manhunter was great like it always is. I think this artist might be my favorite one to work on the series. I was just thinking yesterday about how great a Manhunter TV series could be, but it's tied too much into the entire DCU so it would confuse people.

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Was Huntress's costume the writer's choice or the artist's? Or is that how she dresses now? It could be an editorial thing that's out of the hands of both Yost and Nguyen.

Lucascraft on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't like Yost making Father Mark lose/question his faith, it's annoying.

TexiKen on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Was Huntress's costume the writer's choice or the artist's? Or is that how she dresses now? It could be an editorial thing that's out of the hands of both Yost and Nguyen.

I'm pretty sure it's an editorial thing because they had her in it during Battle for the Cowl and Batgirl made fun of her for it.

Garlic Bread on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure when it came out but I picked up The Marvels Project #3 this week. This series is the Marvel book of the year. It is so good.

Hensler on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it came out but I picked up The Marvels Project #3 this week. This series is the Marvel book of the year. It is so good.

I think this is a book that will hit its goal dead on, and become another Marvels or Kingdom Come. Once it hits trade, it'll be a behemoth, legendary story that sits well outside of continuity. Can't wait for the entire thing to hit in collected format.

HadjiQuest on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What is it about? I forget.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I think this is a book that will hit its goal dead on, and become another Marvels or Kingdom Come. Once it hits trade, it'll be a behemoth, legendary story that sits well outside of continuity. Can't wait for the entire thing to hit in collected format.

I thought the whole point of it was to be in continuity?

My MotW was Iron Man for sure. So many BA moments with
    Hill, Potts, and Blake

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's an editorial thing because they had her in it during Battle for the Cowl and Batgirl made fun of her for it.

I thought I read around BftC that Daniels wanted to draw her in that costume, so DC made that her costume and others had to follow, resulting in Fabian (I think) making fun of it in that The Network issue.

KVW on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I thought the whole point of it was to be in continuity?

My MotW was Iron Man for sure. So many BA moments with
    Hill, Potts, and Blake

I meant it in a way where the book stands on its own, and you could tell someone to go read it without knowing anything else about Marvel, and still get one of its finest stories.

HadjiQuest on
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    What is it about? I forget.

See, this is the problem! Nobody even knows about the Marvels project (at least amongst my friends and the LCS), even though it's Brubaker and Epting working together, and it's the best book coming out of Marvel right now. Here's the official blurb from Marvel:
    The centerpiece of Marvel's 70th Anniversary celebration! Who is the mysterious old man who lies on his deathbed in a hospital in 1939, and how does his passing mark the beginning of the first heroic age of the Marvel Universe — and signal the rise of the superhumans? Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting unveil the defining story of the origin of the Marvel Universe, revealing the hidden connections that unite the earliest costumed champions, and whose reverberations are felt dramatically into the present day! It’s a world on the brink of war, and the race is on to create the world's first super-soldier! Witness the first days of the Human Torch, the Sub-Mariner, and many more-- how they shaped the world to come, and how the future they would create in turn shaped them!

It's basically a story set in the Golden Age about when supers first started to appear. It could have been yet another telling of an Invaders story, but it's really about the whole Marvel and how it became what it is today. It's a lot better than Reborn has been, and is so far one of the best Brubaker works period.

Hensler on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ironman made up for the craptastic adventures of Hank Pym.

I too hope to see more of the girls, I enjoyed it a lot, especially Potts putting Hill in her place.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Incredible Hulk #603 had my MOTW this week.
    Banner's line about why he thinks he became the Hulk while he holds an Old Power taser to Wolverine's head, followed by a silent panel while that thought settles with everyone--very nice

Liked that a lot.

KidDork on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ex Machina is getting decidedly interesting. It's a shame there are only a few issues left, both because it's really good and because i have no idea how Vaugh is going to wrap this build up and get us to the flash forward framing at the beginning of the book cleanly.

werehippy on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really must start reading Ex Machina.

Wildcat on
    edited October 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I really must start reading Ex Machina.

There are some beautiful hardcover releases out now. They don't have a lot of extra content, but I think there are 12 issues in each one. Definitely worth buying if you like Brian K Vaughn.

Hensler on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys, my shop didn't have the latest Supergirl which made me sad. Spiderwoman was really good again though and I enjoyed the end of Iron Man and can't wait to see where we go from here
    Original Avengers reunion anyone?

smokmnky on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    The Incredible Hulk #603 had my MOTW this week.
    Banner's line about why he thinks he became the Hulk while he holds an Old Power taser to Wolverine's head, followed by a silent panel while that thought settles with everyone--very nice

Liked that a lot.

i may start picking that book up, its fun

MOTW:

Spider-Woman 2: Maleev's art is ridiculous in this, and Bendis is spinning a great yarn

Invincible Iron Man 19: End of the interminable (but great) world's most wanted arc, and a badass end it was. loved how things turned out, and Osborn's response to finding out who Stark's doctor was was incredibly amusing.

valiance on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was originally going to drop Iron Man after WMW was finished due to my desire for trade-waiting but that ending was just too damn interesting to just stop cold. Plus me not being able to read any comics by this spring has something to do with it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MotW-- wife stopping by the comic shop for me and getting the past 5 weeks worth of comics-- only three titles at the moment.

Immortal Weapons: Dog Brother #1 was awesome. One of the best comics I have read all year.

King City 2 was great. 1 is on back order, so I'm kind of clueless with the backup story, but it is really great to see King City getting the oversized treatment.

No Hero's last issue was mostly poop from a butt.

DouglasDanger on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just read Incredible Hulk 603, Banner is so rad. He is what Pym should be if they want Pym to be super excellent ultra scientist adventurer.

Also reaffirming in continuity that as Hulk he never killed a single person while destroying cities.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pak's Banner is coming off a little Mary-Sue, largely because I'm not used to him performing at that level. At the same time, though, I haven't read too many Hulk stories that featured the Banner persona in a prominent role so my impression of how the character should act might be wrong.

In any case, there's no denying the fact that he's doing some impressive shit.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    This was in the DCU Halloween Special: Guy Gardner's Halloween

That was pretty fun, and it seems there was more to it than shown, like Arisia dressing up as a witch and Sodam Yat dressing up as Bizarro. And Bagley drawing Guy, which is awesome. Also, Ice, nice. Seems to be worth picking up next week.

TexiKen on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everything about those 3 pages of GG Halloween seemed really messed up

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Guys, my shop didn't have the latest Supergirl which made me sad. Spiderwoman was really good again though and I enjoyed the end of Iron Man and can't wait to see where we go from here
    Original Avengers reunion anyone?

That's what I've been thinking since the start.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's the best Guardian design ever.

Ice for Guardian 2010.

Lucascraft on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The last pages of Invincible Iron Man was my MOTW, just got my comics today. Loved seeing the gathering of heroes at the end.

Also had to drop Might Avengers after seeing the Pym cock sucking reaching new heights. I should've dropped it after the "It's on bitch!" with Pym and Reed, but for some reason I thought it might get better.

Also, Dark Avengers was pretty great, everyone questioning Venom. Also, who were those guys at the end of DA? The one's Norman saw?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And Bagley drawing Guy, which is awesome.

What? You wouldn't even be able to tell it was Guy if it wasn't for the hair coloring.

Garlic Bread on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Also had to drop Might Avengers after seeing the Pym cock sucking reaching new heights. I should've dropped it after the "It's on bitch!" with Pym and Reed, but for some reason I thought it might get better.
    Slott needs to stop telling us that we should love Hank Pym and SHOW US why on Earth he deserves it.

You can't just take a character that has been a joke for ages, best known for doing something decidedly NON-heroic, and then just go "no you have to love him NOW".

That said, I do like the REST of the Mighty Avengers team.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009

That was pretty fun, and it seems there was more to it than shown, like Arisia dressing up as a witch and Sodam Yat dressing up as Bizarro. And Bagley drawing Guy, which is awesome. Also, Ice, nice. Seems to be worth picking up next week.

Ok i read it, and Isamot's costume is worth the cover price alone

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Just read Incredible Hulk 603, Banner is so rad. He is what Pym should be if they want Pym to be super excellent ultra scientist adventurer.

Also reaffirming in continuity that as Hulk he never killed a single person while destroying cities.

They can re-state it as often as they want; it still makes no sense, and violates the entire premise of WWH.

mattharvest on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I wonder how they retcon in JMS and Bendis' take that Hulk killed people in Vegas I think it was.

TexiKen on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I wonder how they retcon in JMS and Bendis' take that Hulk killed people in Vegas I think it was.

it was red hulk all along!

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When Hulk destroyed part of Las Vegas he was suffering from Gamma poisoning which affected the "Banner" portion of himself.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Apparently Guy's father used to beat him on Halloween for no reason and that's why Guy loves it so much. The story makes perfect sense.

animale on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought he was just trying to make up for all the lousy halloweens he'd had.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    animale wrote: »
    Apparently Guy's father used to beat him on Halloween for no reason and that's why Guy loves it so much. The story makes perfect sense.

Yeah.. I thought the entire Halloween Special was pretty bad, as they usually are. That Guy comes off like a bizarrely controlling, possessive prick to Tora in their first scene, and that she later rewards him by painting her skin blue, putting on a costume with a tit window, and proposing a threesome with an energy construct, rubbed me entirely the wrong way. It seemed out of character for both of them.

But hey, Beasts of Burden was completely wicked awesome. Awesome and soul-crushing.

Munch on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    animale wrote: »

Yeah.. I thought the entire Halloween Special was pretty bad, as they usually are. That Guy comes off like a bizarrely controlling, possessive prick to Tora in their first scene, and that she later rewards him by painting her skin blue, putting on a costume with a tit window, and proposing a threesome with an energy construct, rubbed me entirely the wrong way. It seemed out of character for both of them.

But hey, Beasts of Burden was completely wicked awesome. Awesome and soul-crushing.

What a bizarre (yet not bad) comic. My first reaction to the art was "I've seen horrible web comics that look just like this." But that little sample actually did a great job of giving me the gist[jist?] of the book and make me kinda give a shit about what happens next.

Naturally the author is no doubt a sick twisted fucker who's soul pupose for this book is to get the fans emotionally attached to the characters and then kill them in a variety of ways; thus causing us to fall asleep crying surrounded by a number of empty [your favorite substance to abuse here] containers/delievery systems/etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Naturally the author is no doubt a sick twisted fucker

Well you're not entirely incorrect.

But it really is an amazing book, though "paranormal investigators that are dogs" may just be a concept targeted primarily at me.

Just think Tales from the Crypt meets Homeward Bound.

Furu on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Also, Dark Avengers was pretty great, everyone questioning Venom. Also, who were those guys at the end of DA? The one's Norman saw?
    Molecule Man on the throne, with illusions/creations of Mephisto (red demon), The Beyonder (giant guy in white), the Enchantress (blonde in green), and Dormammu (head on fire). And some badass dragons!

The Molecule Man played a major role in Secret Wars and Secret Wars 2 (from the 1980's, not the Bendis one), but hasn't been around much lately, as far as I know. He started out as a Fantastic Four villain, but he's usually portrayed as a mild-mannered wimp with godlike powers, who just wants to settle down with a nice girl.

As good as Dark Avengers was, my MOTW might be Spider-Woman #2. I've missed the team of Bendis and Maleev.

Junior Yank on