As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deadlydortio, hot bodies and shit faces abound nsfw

deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
I felt i was taking up too much space in doodle thread. I am making this thread so i have some motivation to draw more often, also a friend stole my internets so i cant play vidjagames D:.

Been drawing for a year now and i dont know what else to say... a lot of this stuff can probably be found on the doodle thread but eh, ill put it in here.

EDIT, forgot to say, im learning to use colors with acrylic and such, but i'd like to know what brushes and stuff in corell painterX are good for coloring a little bit less funky than the drawings below

nakedman_by_Deadlydorito.jpg

skully.jpg?t=1254836197

lefthand.jpg?t=1254836541

swordfish.jpg?t=1254836772

nudeexcercise006interne.jpg

deadlydorito on

• iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That last one, for some reason, really clicks with me. I think it's the color choice. But I like it.

On the others, your crosshatching is too uneven. You'll have fairly straight grids lining up in one spot, and hairy, scattery lines in others (the skull, for example). The hand - eh, you need to work on hands. I won't say more than that, because I hate hands myself.

But let me reiterate, I really like that last one. Except for the doodles on top. Just leave it at the body on a white page.

iglidante on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    thanks for the comment.

I'll try to be more careful with my hatching.

deadlydorito on
    edited October 2009
    It's just jarring, because you have a pretty clear grid hatched in the skull's eyes and nose, but elsewhere the lines are all over the place. If they were all sketchy, it would be more tolerable. Or all hatching.

...and what exactly is that fourth one?

iglidante on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your mad scribbling is really really working against you. Take a deep breath and think before you mark.

Line is a wonderful thing. A beautifully made pen and ink piece is absolutely incredible. But it takes practice and care and skill with mark making. Stipling, hatching, crosshatching, etc etc. One errant line or dot can ruin the piece... and right now nearly all your marks are errant lines.

Look at Bernie Wrightson below. Now this guy was a fucking master of pen, ink, and line.

bwfrankp3_large.jpg

f_study_det.jpg

EVERY line serves the whole.

Or look at Charles Dana Gibson.

Charles-Dana-Gibson-usual-fans-and-gloves.gif

500px-Gibson_Girl.png

Or the hundreds of other pen and ink guys.

Wassermelone on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a big fan of scratchy line styles, myself ( I like cartoon inking styles). That said, I can't decide if that last one is a mess or a masterpiece. The lines are providing form and going in the proper directions and the wild color choices still accurately convey where the light is hitting. I would just erase the lines surrounding the figure. If it was large size I can see it in a magazine surrounded by uncomfortable modern furniture.

Guy Bell on
    edited October 2009
    ah ok guys. thank you, the fourth one is some random scribble.

The last one i put heaps of effort into though haha.

I'll update tommorow hopefully since im making an abstract with my teacher, learning to paint with real paint!!

Yes wassermelone that first one you posted is my ultimate wetdream, or something like calvin and hobbes... such spectacular linework :D

deadlydorito on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking at that Bernie Wrightson you would never guess that he drew so many horror comics.

Guy Bell on
    edited November 2009
    kk new update, landscape that i hope has an ok composition and a lime/lemon that hopefully likes like one of those fruits. Finished the landscape with acrylic but need to take a photo, cant upload atm.

landscapeguybridge_002.jpg?t=1257297718

lime_003.jpg?t=1257297896

By the way, what brushes to use in photoshoop?

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    Perspective and pose on that naked guy is really strange - but I'll wait until you post the finished piece to really say much about it.

As for brushes, what kind of PS brush-look are you shooting for?

iglidante on
    edited November 2009
    yeah that naked guy is giving me troubles, ill do it on canvas with real paint instead.

As for brushes in photoshop... i donno, any to make stuff look real or whatever... Been using painter instead of photoshop for the brushes though, its more user friendly.

deadlydorito on
  • google9000google9000 Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I think the sketchy shading looks nice. And I especially like the ones with color. The way you capture contrast is interesting to me.

google9000 on
    edited November 2009
    nakedgirl.jpg

Was trying to learn to do mannikins from the andrew loomis books but got bored... Anyways when i get bridgman books ill upload my studies off that.

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    update on naked chick, flesched her out some more, used a blender and then used burning brush. Is there anything with digital that would constitute as like... cheating at drawing or something? I know theres the filters in photoshop but any others?

nakedgirl004.jpg

ahhh i am creaming buckets with delight at this one. Still a wip i want a cool background and to fix stuff i dont know is broken so please feel free to make me cry :D

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    K, finished bluesmurf real quick got bored of her. Gotta learn hands.

nakedgirl006.jpg

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    quick face sketch, i never do faces and suck balls at them, need to practice them hard.

CRITS ON FACES PLZ (if you bother looking lawl)

face.jpg?t=1257499685

deadlydorito on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think maybe you need to try drawing without....scribbling? It seems like you are unsure of where to place your lines, so its coming out like chicken scratch. Try drawing one line instead and see where that gets you.

worstcase on