As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One of my friends is asking that I give him a logical explanation to chemtrails, whatever that is.

Henroid on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hey that reminds me. Anyone remember that YouTube video that went up that was like, "OCTOBER 15th, BE READY FOR THE REVOLUTION" or whatever? What happened with that?

You don't remember the revolution? It was pretty wild.

Drugs, Sex, and Rock and Roll.

Fencingsax on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One of my friends is asking that I give him a logical explanation to chemtrails, whatever that is.

?

Like, the scent markers that ants and snails leave behind?

Incenjucar on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory
    Logical explanation: god, you are so retarded.

Couscous on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Oh for fuck's sake, this shit? :x

Henroid on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ask him if he means contrails.

MKR on
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Ask him if he means contrails.

I just linked him the fucking wiki article. This is one of the most retarded conspiracy theories out there and I can't believe I've been asked to take it seriously.

Henroid on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Oh for fuck's sake, this shit? :x
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited October 2009
    Okay, we should get back on track. Though, this article I'm about to link addresses both the "oh no Obama!" shit and conspiracy theory.

A Christian Science Monitor blog titled "After Fox News, next on Obama hit list: Chamber of Commerce?"... well, here:
    A vast left-wing conspiracy?

Yet it appears there is more than just the ordinary partisan frustration at work. Since August, the Obama administration has undertaken a clear strategy of seeking to discredit and marginalize some of the most influential conservative voices in Washington, according to a report in Politico.
    Yeah, we call that politics. Where people who say things that are wrong are called out on it.

Henroid on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also "according to a report in Politico" reads "according to Drudge link whores" to me.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, we should get back on track. Though, this article I'm about to link addresses both the "oh no Obama!" shit and conspiracy theory.

A Christian Science Monitor blog titled "After Fox News, next on Obama hit list: Chamber of Commerce?"... well, here:
    A vast left-wing conspiracy?

Yet it appears there is more than just the ordinary partisan frustration at work. Since August, the Obama administration has undertaken a clear strategy of seeking to discredit and marginalize some of the most influential conservative voices in Washington, according to a report in Politico.
    Yeah, we call that politics. Where people who say things that are wrong are called out on it.

I prefer calling it 'aggressive fact checking' myself.

Havelock on
  • civil_disobediencecivil_disobedience Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7owMXrLu2d8

This naive view of that globalization will lead to a Utopian peace is foolish. I do not believe in nationalism but in patriotism. America has not brought the first world to the third. We have brought the third world to us. The propaganda that is bought into would have us destroy our country in the name of something fake. But globalization that is forced by political powers, not coming about of its own fruition, will be fake and will only end in the loss of freedom of the people.

Are you guys really that dumb you would trust a man with power? try reading a history book. And now you wish to see a global government where power is consolidated. You do not think this will end badly? just silly. But go ahead keep believing in this Utopian image that has been promised by fake prophets of peace. This certainly has never happened before. And every time that people have bought into this illogical rhetoric it has ended in slavery. But all of this has happened before and will happen again. And like sheep to be led to the slaughter. You can go ahead and put your faith in other men and untested theories, but I will put my faith in myself and my own works.

civil_disobedience on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm trying to figure out this flavor of batshit out - is it Objectivist or Dominionist.

And somewhere in Mexico, a cave is missing its floor covering.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited October 2009
    I'm trying to figure out this flavor of batshit out - is it Objectivist or Dominionist.

And somewhere in Mexico, a cave is missing its floor covering.

I'm going for the kind of crazy where it's so crazy it loops all the way back in on itself.

Though I'm leaning fundamentally Randian.

enlightenedbum on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't hear anything crazy in that Obama video, he basically said "this is the way the world is, and the way it's heading, and fighting it will be an unwinnable fight that will put America behind", to which I agree.

Did I miss some secret nazi message

override367 on
    edited October 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    I hope he comes back. I feel sad having missed out.

He's back!

Henroid on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you guys really that dumb you would trust a man with power?
    again silly do not make inferences when your brain does not support the connection. When did I say I did not like our system of government? eh? eh? I just said the two headed one party system is bad. In fact many of our founding fathers hated parties and feared it would drive our country apart.

wat

Cervetus on
    edited October 2009
    America has not brought the first world to the third. We have brought the third world to us.

As a half-Mexican, I take offense to that.

Henroid on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Are you guys really that dumb you would trust a man with power?
    again silly do not make inferences when your brain does not support the connection. When did I say I did not like our system of government? eh? eh? I just said the two headed one party system is bad. In fact many of our founding fathers hated parties and feared it would drive our country apart.

wat

To be fair, he's not trusting one man, he's trusting many men.

From like 300 years ago.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do you expect a person without power to be able to do anything?

Fencingsax on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And now you wish to see a global government where power is consolidated.

Oh hell yeah!

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Ayn Rand (pronounced /ˈaɪn ˈrænd/; born Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum; February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982), was a Russian-American novelist, philosopher,[1] playwright, and screenwriter. She is known for her best-selling novels and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism. Born and educated in Russia, Rand emigrated to the United States in 1926. She worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood and had a play produced on Broadway in 1935-1936. She first achieved fame with her novel The Fountainhead, published in 1943,[2] which in 1957 was followed by her best-known work, the philosophical novel Atlas Shrugged.
    Rand's political views, reflected in both her fiction and her theoretical work, emphasize individual rights (including property rights) and laissez-faire capitalism, enforced by a constitutionally-limited government. She was a fierce opponent of all forms of collectivism and statism,[3][4] including fascism, communism, and the welfare state,[5] and promoted ethical egoism while condemning altruism.[6] She considered reason to be the only means of acquiring knowledge and the most important aspect of her philosophy,[7] stating, "I am not primarily an advocate of capitalism, but of egoism; and I am not primarily an advocate of egoism, but of reason. If one recognizes the supremacy of reason and applies it consistently, all the rest follows."[8]/QUOTE]

yup if you think this applies to my views I would have to agree. And considering she lived in a statism country I would listen to her more than I would to any of you.

civil_disobedience on
    edited October 2009
    This naive view of that globalization will lead to a Utopian peace is foolish.

Only universal empathy can create peace.
    I do not believe in nationalism but in patriotism.

Patriotism and nationalism are two shades of the same absurdity. Protecting your personal interests and beliefs is reasonable, so long as it is taken to a reasonable conclusion, but patriotism is making a cult out of the dirt you happen to live on.
    America has not brought the first world to the third. We have brought the third world to us.

America has allowed its own greed to leave its people poorer than those who more freely give.
    The propaganda that is bought into would have us destroy our country in the name of something fake. But globalization that is forced by political powers, not coming about of its own fruition, will be fake and will only end in the loss of freedom of the people.

How else does something form naturally on a global level?

What makes politics "fake?"
    Are you guys really that dumb you would trust a man with power? try reading a history book.

You may have heard of this strange new idea - democracy.
    And now you wish to see a global government where power is consolidated. You do not think this will end badly? just silly.

It sure was a silly notion for cities to form counties, for counties to form states, and for states to form a nation.
    But go ahead keep believing in this Utopian image that has been promised by fake prophets of peace. This certainly has never happened before.

Neither has the internet. Neither has titanium alloy wheels. Shit has to happen a first time.
    And every time that people have bought into this illogical rhetoric it has ended in slavery.

CITATION NEEDED
    But all of this has happened before and will happen again. And like sheep to be led to the slaughter. You can go ahead and put your faith in other men and untested theories, but I will put my faith in myself and my own works.

Which amount to...?

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

cant answer a question with a question. do you trust people with power?

civil_disobedience on
    edited October 2009

Depends on the person. Now answer my question. And everyone else's

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009

Some people.

Power does not corrupt, power simply allows for someone to act as they truly desire to.

Not everyone is naturally a corrupt asshole. They're just the ones who seek power the most, and so we have to be careful of who we grant power to, and to be sure to retain the ability to remove it when required.

Incenjucar on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

All the time. While I'm not entirely satisfied, I'd much rather the government had control of police, military, fire stations, food and drug standards, etc than General Electric.

Quid on
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »

All the time. While I'm not entirely satisfied, I'd much rather the government had control of police, military, fire stations, food and drug standards, etc than General Electric.

Or God help us, Newscorp.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2009
    Ayn Rand (pronounced /ˈaɪn ˈrænd/; born Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum; February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982), was a Russian-American novelist, philosopher,[1] playwright, and screenwriter. She is known for her best-selling novels and for developing a philosophical system she called Objectivism. Born and educated in Russia, Rand emigrated to the United States in 1926. She worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood and had a play produced on Broadway in 1935-1936. She first achieved fame with her novel The Fountainhead, published in 1943,[2] which in 1957 was followed by her best-known work, the philosophical novel Atlas Shrugged.
    Rand's political views, reflected in both her fiction and her theoretical work, emphasize individual rights (including property rights) and laissez-faire capitalism, enforced by a constitutionally-limited government. She was a fierce opponent of all forms of collectivism and statism,[3][4] including fascism, communism, and the welfare state,[5] and promoted ethical egoism while condemning altruism.[6] She considered reason to be the only means of acquiring knowledge and the most important aspect of her philosophy,[7] stating, "I am not primarily an advocate of capitalism, but of egoism; and I am not primarily an advocate of egoism, but of reason. If one recognizes the supremacy of reason and applies it consistently, all the rest follows."[8]

yup if you think this applies to my views I would have to agree. And considering she lived in a statism country I would listen to her more than I would to any of you.

The hero of her philosophy, and she has practically stated as much, was a man who kidnapped and brutally murdered little girls.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My troll alarm is going off

override367 on
    edited October 2009
    Rand's political views, reflected in both her fiction and her theoretical work, emphasize individual rights (including property rights) and laissez-faire capitalism, enforced by a constitutionally-limited government. She was a fierce opponent of all forms of collectivism and statism,[3][4] including fascism, communism, and the welfare state,[5] and promoted ethical egoism while condemning altruism.[6] She considered reason to be the only means of acquiring knowledge and the most important aspect of her philosophy,[7] stating, "I am not primarily an advocate of capitalism, but of egoism; and I am not primarily an advocate of egoism, but of reason. If one recognizes the supremacy of reason and applies it consistently, all the rest follows."[8]

For God's sake, you people need to let the poor woman rest in peace.

Well I trusted my scout troop leader once. NEVER AGAIN!

Henroid on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That question doesn't even make sense, because as soon as you trust someone you're giving them power over you. If you never trusted anyone with power then you'd just plain trust nobody. Personally I want my roads built and my possessions protected, so I will trust people with shovels and guns and laws and power.

Cervetus on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Poe's Law in action. Invocation of Ayn Rand and stupid conspiracy theories about corporatist conspiracy to create a totalitarian world government kinda makes it all ambiguous.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

That question doesn't even make sense, because as soon as you trust someone you're giving them power over you. If you never trusted anyone with power then you'd just plain trust nobody. Personally I want my roads built and my possessions protected, so I will trust people with shovels and guns and laws and power.

Fool you've doomed us all!

Quid on
    edited October 2009

It doesn't necessarily matter if this is genuine or not I think. I'm rather enjoying reading the sane retorts to the insanity real people would babble. Like my friend's friend, and to a lesser extent my friend with the CHEMTRAILS thing.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009

nope. so do you trust people in power?

civil_disobedience on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dude there are real people way worse than this guy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited October 2009
    my troll alarm is going off

civil_disobedience on
    edited October 2009

nope. so do you trust people in power?

In so much as the Constitution gives it (power) and allows me and my fellow citizens to remove them from power should they abuse it or do a poor job of utilizing it efficiently via elections and, if need be, impeachment, then yes.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dude there are real people way worse than this guy.

This guy is pretty much the shambling, moaning zombie of Poe's Law.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.