As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop RAM upgrade question

Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
Just a quick question, since I've never done this before. I'm buying some new RAM for an Acer Aspire 5000. I've studied up on the laptop, it has two slots, and can take up to 2 gigs of RAM. It's currently got two sticks of 256.

Can I buy just 1 stick of 1 gig, or do I need to get a matching pair (ie: two sticks of 512, or two sticks of 1 gig)?

sig_megas_armed.jpg
Bionic Monkey on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you don't need to have matching sticks, but ram is really, really cheap, and you'll notice a huge difference if you max it out at 2GB.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    you don't need to have matching sticks, but ram is really, really cheap, and you'll notice a huge difference if you max it out at 2GB.

It's not my laptop, so it's not my choice, but I just wanted to know all the options before I laid them out for the owner.

Thanks.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two matching sticks would get you a bit of a boost too provided the computer can take advantage of dual-channel.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Two matching sticks would get you a bit of a boost too provided the computer can take advantage of dual-channel.

Not anything you'll notice on a laptop, the 5400rpm hdd will still hold the system back. Monkey, you can pull one stick out and toss a 1gb stick in there if you want. If the system has Vista I'd pay the little bit extra and grab two 1gb sticks.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mother-in-law decided to go with 2 gigs, since it was only $70. I'll be installing them in two weeks the next time we visit.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg