As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Watchmen.

Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
I am reading it right now. I was also wondering what everybody else thought about it.

captain_america.gif
Disturbed_1 on

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's a little loaded, man. That's like asking: "Hey guys what do you think of blowjobs?"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Was
    "alien invasion unites humanity against a common enemy"

a cliche back when this was written?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Was

I'm thinking a FAKE one wasn't.

august on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It is a pretty good story but it is not THE GREATEST COMIC EVER WRITTEN (TM) like some people seem to think.

deadonthestreet on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    That's a little loaded, man. That's like asking: "Hey guys what do you think of blowjobs?"

Some of us can't stand the after-taste, you know.

I happened to like Watchmen a helluva lot, but I also take issue with anyone who claims it as the be-all and end-all of the comic book world.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    Watchmen is basically the shining example of what you can do with the comic medium that you can't really do with any other. I don't know if that makes it the best, but it definitely makes it more than just a pretty good story.

DJ Eebs on
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »
    Was

I figured. I just wondered if Moore had invented the thing himself, or just kind of played with the cliche.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It is a pretty good story but it is not THE GREATEST COMIC EVER WRITTEN (TM) like some people seem to think.

What about greatest superhero comic?

Lux on
    edited March 2007
    No, not that either.

deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2007
    No, not that either.

What's your vote?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Okay, Best Alan Moore story/One of the Greatest Comic Stories Ever.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited March 2007
    No, not that either.

What's your vote?
    Dunno.

Not Watchmen, though.

deadonthestreet on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Watchmen is the A Tale of Two Cities of the comic world

Green on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lux wrote: »

What about greatest superhero comic?

It was a damn good comic, and definitely one of the better comics I have ever read.

I don't really think of it as a superhero comic though because
    Only 1-2 people actually have super powers. Dr. Manhattan of course does; but his role in the book isn't a major one, important yes but not major. I'd say that Ozymandias had super powers as well, I'm sure some will try to argue that, but they were minor and low-key. Mostly involving him being super intelligent.

Last Son on
  • DayfatDayfat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Was

I figured. I just wondered if Moore had invented the thing himself, or just kind of played with the cliche.

Though I don't remember it in the comic, there is this Outer Limits episode.

Dayfat on
    MKDS 0086 5274 6687
    edited March 2007
    Dayfat wrote: »
    Was

Though I don't remember it in the comic, there is this Outer Limits episode.

I believe they actually mention that episode slyly in the book, as sort of an admission of, "Yes, I know, it's been done. Let's keep moving."

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    The only totally original idea to come along in the last hundred years was, "Hey, let's cast Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger as twins." Other than that, you gotta go back to the Magna Carta.

Garlic Bread on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    The only totally original idea to come along in the last hundred years was, "Hey, let's cast Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger as twins." Other than that, you gotta go back to the Magna Carta.

well, if you don't count 'liquid metal man come from the future to kill my mom and me and am saved by robot surrogate father'

of course, it is no coincidence that schwarzenegger was in that film as well

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The Jews have produced only three originative geniuses: Christ, Spinoza, and myself.

Guess who said this. No googling.

Regina Fong on
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »

The Jews have produced only three originative geniuses: Christ, Spinoza, and myself.

elie wiesel

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But I thought that T2 was a rehash of a grek play?
    I mean, substitute "The Future" with "Mt Olympus" and "Shape changing" for "Liquid Metal" and "Horny god" for "Robot".

It's all been done.

Edit: I realize you where probably being sarcastic. But I've typed this far, and now I have to hit the button.

see317 on
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »

elie wiesel

No, he's not very arrogant, is he?

-edit-

Edited for clarity, I meant that as a question, not a statement.

Regina Fong on
    edited March 2007

elie wiesel

-edit-

i'm kidding, i actually already knew who it was, but why should i ruin the game because i'm so damn brilliant
    she guest-stars in a moveable feast

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

well, if you don't count 'liquid metal man come from the future to kill my mom and me and am saved by robot surrogate father'

of course, it is no coincidence that schwarzenegger was in that film as well

twinspm1.jpg

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2007

elie wiesel

-edit-

i'm kidding, i actually already knew who it was, but why should i ruin the game because i'm so damn brilliant
    she guest-stars in a moveable feast

:D

Regina Fong on
  • TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really like the art and style of Watchmen. So many of the characters have such awesome costume designs. I dunno, they all seem so . . . fresh? You know, not unique, but the opposite of stale? The personality of the characters is almost tangible just from how they dress. That's something special that you really don't get to see in most other super-hero books. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

TehChowd on
    edited March 2007
    The costumes were derived from a lot of 80's era designs back then.

Calamity Jane on
  • SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Watchmen is the best comic I've read. Everything else has to fight it out for the minor placings.

Sumaleth on
  • hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, Watchmen is the best comic I've read too.

Every time I read it I discover something new, like looking at a Rorschach test.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    lol, postmodernism

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Yeah, Watchmen is the best comic I've read too.

Every time I read it I discover something new, like looking at a Rorschach test.

Hey! That's the name of a character!

Lux on
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    good but not nearly as good as every issue of Spawn.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dislike the art in Watchmen. Everybody looks about 8 feet tall. Of course, it doesn't help that my copy has terrible colouring. Looks like it was printed with ice lolly juice.

Saph on
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd say they where derived from the Charleston characters they where each based off of.

Some more than others though. I mean, Nite Owl looks a lot like Blue Beetle, Rorshach is pretty much the Question with a different mask, however the Comedian doesn't look much like Peacemaker and Captain Atom never walked around naked.

Snake Gandhi on
    edited March 2007
    I'd say they where derived from the Charleston characters they where each based off of.

Some more than others though. I mean, Nite Owl looks a lot like Blue Beetle, Rorshach is pretty much the Question with a different mask, however the Comedian doesn't look much like Peacemaker and Captain Atom never walked around naked.

Ah. I was gonna say something to that effect but I kept typing Charelton. Now, they were around prior to the eighties then?

Calamity Jane on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Indeed, Charlton started in the 40s, though I think the characters that inspired the Watchmen characters were primarily created in the 60s.

Wildcat on
  • MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »

Luckily I think you are being sarcastic. If I thought you were serious, I would be bleeding from the ears.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    Sonos wrote: »

Luckily I think you are being sarcastic. If I thought you were serious, I would be bleeding from the ears.

dingdingding winar!

i've been trying to think of a series I liked more than Watchmen since someone started this thread but I can't. I don't think there has ever been a better comic writer than Moore.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really like psychological mind-fucks and this story was one to me. Every character was very deep and well developed and nobody was perfect. I liked it because it was dark and very intelligent. I don't know if I would say best comic ever, but I can't think of any that are better off the top of my head.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved how human all the characters, with the exception of Doc Manhattan, were.

It is so fantastically written, it is one of the few comics that I consider to be a true peice of literature.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png