As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My marshmallow Americans, I have harglebargle [POLITICS]

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I believe in social capitalism. Free market with strong ethical limitations.

Well thats something i also agree with.

Though i think there should be robust legal limitations to.

And some industries are too important to be left to private corporations.

Karl on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes. That is reasonable. As I said, a person or organization that comes upon new ground first gets to claim it.

As nowadays all ground and all resources worldwide belonging to someone the only, legal, way to acquire them is to purchase them of the owner.

But what about the moon? Taxpayer dollars paid for the first landing there. And good luck getting anyone to recognize our dominion over the moon.

MKR on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes. That is reasonable. As I said, a person or organization that comes upon new ground first gets to claim it.

As nowadays all ground and all resources worldwide belonging to someone the only, legal, way to acquire them is to purchase them of the owner.

the ground isn't new, it was always there and a bunch of people lived on it and got it taken away from them

it only belongs to someone now because the government says it does

what if i don't think the government has the authority to do that

Quoth on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    Jigrah wrote: »
    How is making money off other people's backs a bad thing? I mean it's the what every working economic system ever is build upon.

I mean, I got a bunch of resources, but alone I am not capable of doing all the labor with it, so I pay a lot of people to do the labor for me.

I of course pay them less for the labor than I do earn with said labor so that I increase my resources and have my company grow.

this begs so many questions

precedent does not equal ethical soundness

where did you get the resources

why should they get paid less when they are doing the work that helps the company grow

why should you get paid more when you are not doing the same amount of work

Scarcity of resources and best allocation of skill. They get paid less because there are more people able to do that job. You get paid more because there are less people that can do what you can. Maybe the resource you bring to the table is Capital, and that has it's own value in the economy.

but again, how did you acquire the capital... is it reasonable that someone who essentially managed to stick a flag in the ground first should get to keep said ground

if i go to the grocery store and lick a cookie does it become mine

Ownership comes from the ability to protect an asset.

so if i lick the cookie and run away with it and the cops don't catch me then it's mine

Yes, at that point you can do whatever you want with it (making the assumption that police were the last line of protection)

Jigrah on
    edited October 2009
    itt jigrah supports theft if you can get away with it

you heard it here first folks

Quoth on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    there comes a point where if people can't tell if you are trolling or if you are really just an odious human being

maybe

you are an odious human being

like if you honestly can't tell if a person is racist or is just saying racist things to outrage people and get attention

it sorta becomes irrelevant

even if they aren't actually racist

they're still an asshole

you're probably right, Pony

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited October 2009

the ground isn't new, it was always there and a bunch of people lived on it and got it taken away from them

You get proven wrong, usually with three hots and a cot.

Jigrah on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Then the government will use guns to take it away from you. That is kind of how it works.

Although in today's world it is getting harder to get away with taking land away from other people with guns.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    you didn't answer any of the questions!

oh, but I did. labor is a recourse that got a price, just like any else. so they get paid less because that is what we agreed upon.

I get paid more because I own the resources thanks to my power to claim them and so get to decide who gets to offer me the labor and who doesn't. if a person refuses to work for the payment I offer I will find someone else who does.

I got the resources from the previous owner. who got them from the one before him. a chain thta goes back till the first person who first claimed those resources.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited October 2009
    So how about that Friedrich List?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited October 2009

right or wrong they have the might, so right or wrong they're always right

Quoth on
    edited October 2009

I said ownership is the ability to protect something. How the fuck do you run with that and say I support theft?

Jigrah on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Artreus wrote: »

Then the government will use guns to take it away from you. That is kind of how it works.

Although in today's world it is getting harder to get away with taking land away from other people with guns.

this actually cheered me up a bit, thinking about it

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But are babbies considered assets to protect?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited October 2009

I said ownership is the ability to protect something. How the fuck do you run with that and say I support theft?

i said i went to a grocery store and licked a cookie and ran away with it and you said therefore it was mine

i stole a cookie but because i didn't get caught it's ok to you

you said
    Yes, at that point you can do whatever you want with it (making the assumption that police were the last line of protection)

Quoth on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

well, you can take it to the Surpreme Court but the track record of overturning eminent domain is a bit dodgy (see Kelo v. New London)

Usagi on
    edited October 2009

You get proven wrong that the government has that authority, it does.

In some countries might is only available through acts of Violence, in the United States there are other resources.

Jigrah on
    edited October 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

well, you can take it to the Surpreme Court but the track record of overturning eminent domain is a bit dodgy (see Kelo v. New London)

of course the government has a vested interest in perpetuating that kind of malfeasance

doesn't make it ethically right or a proper basis for government

ok seriously i am getting tired of being teefs, i'm done, don't touch my shit or you'll get a mouthful of hot lead

Quoth on
    edited October 2009

i said i went to a grocery store and licked a cookie and ran away with it and you said therefore it was mine

you said

I didn't say that it was okay with me I said that at the point you had ownership because now you could protect the asset.

Jigrah on
    edited October 2009

In some countries might is only available through acts of Violence, in the United States there are other resources.

But Jigrah, government authority runs from the fact that the state has the guns

violaters are punished, etc. etc.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited October 2009

you said

I didn't say that it was okay with me I said that at the point you had ownership because now you could protect the asset.

so you don't think it's okay but you do think it creates ownership

seriously

Quoth on
    edited October 2009

well, those were barbaric times. nowadays you and me luckily live in civilized nations where the state protects our property rights.

if you don't agree with the government ... well tough shit. I agree that every form of government is in a way a form of dictatorship, but a necessary one for a peaceful human society to function. at least on a large scale.

The government protects my right to own the factory. But it also does, or at least should, protect me from being exploited, or at least unbearably exploited, by setting minimum wages and regulations for sound work conditions, and protecting me from discrimination, so that the factory owner only gets to refuse my offered labor due to my level of skill and not my skin color for example.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

I agree that government authority comes from the fact that it has the guns. The same powers that give it the guns also empowers it's citizens in ways that do not require violence.

Jigrah on
    edited October 2009
    I basically believe what mine is mine, but I only get to fuck over other people with it to a certain degree.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited October 2009

of course the government has a vested interest in perpetuating that kind of malfeasance

ok seriously i am getting tired of being teefs, i'm done, don't touch my shit or you'll get a mouthful of hot lead

I understand your frustration and I mostly agree that it's a terrible and deliberately shady use of a law that has probably outlived it's useful life, but the fallout from Kelo is hopeful, the very public backlash has caused several states to put up bills limiting or eliminating the use of eminent domain for economic growth.

Usagi on
    edited October 2009

It is seriously the way the world has worked for a long, long time. Nation-states take the land and own it. That is why the hunter-gatherer societies aren't around anymore. We pushed them out.

Sure the way we did it was really, really shitty, but that is over now. I think discussing it is a moot point because we are not going back to a point where nobody "owns land, man" because somebody else will use their guns to take it.

Artreus on
    edited October 2009

I understand your frustration and I mostly agree that it's a terrible and deliberately shady use of a law that has probably outlived it's useful life, but the fallout from Kelo is hopeful, the very public backlash has caused several states to put up bills limiting or eliminating the use of eminent domain for economic growth.

usagi i was playing the devil's advocate and now i am stopping

i have no frustration

i like owning my house and would not appreciate the seminole indian tribe trying to take it back from me

Quoth on
    edited October 2009

you said

so you don't think it's okay but you do think it creates ownership

seriously

Well, please help me out then, how do you define ownership? In a meaningful way that has realistic application. That is the only way I have been able to define it, and has been something I have thought about a lot.

Jigrah on
    edited October 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

I agree that government authority comes from the fact that it has the guns. The same powers that give it the guns also empowers it's citizens in ways that do not require violence.

bingo

Government protects us and that's why we choose to live under the rule of government

at least, that's one theory on why we deal with it

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Look, they should have fought harder, okay

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2009

i have no frustration

i like owning my house and would not appreciate the seminole indian tribe trying to take it back from me

gotcha, no worries this is just something that fascinates me because it's a huge local issue

Usagi on
    edited October 2009

i have no frustration

Yeah even though you were arguing with idiots it was kind of a losing battle.

Besides, didn't they fight amongst themselves all the time anyway?

Artreus on
    edited October 2009
    i could probably keep going by my heart's not in it

i am busy doing research for my novel

what is scarier, a giant squid or lots of tiny aggressive squid

Quoth on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aren't the Seminole technically still at war with the US because they never surrendered or signed that treaty?

I may be wrong, but if that's true it's pretty badass

Grey Ghost on
    edited October 2009
    I think tho that a more civilized people has the right to take away land and resources from a less civilized one if it furthers the development of the human race.

What I am saying is that the North should kick out the Texans and take their oil.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Aren't the Seminole technically still at war with the US because they never surrendered or signed that treaty?

I may be wrong, but if that's true it's pretty badass

the hard rock casino in fort lauderdale says no

Quoth on
    edited October 2009

Lots of tiny squid.

With the big one, at least you can go for its eye or something.

Artreus on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

lots of tiny aggressive squid.... working as a team

Mr. Buttons on
    edited October 2009

tiny squid. billions of tiny squid. A redish carpet upon the waves.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I think tho that a more civilized people has the right to take away land and resources from a less civilized one if it furthers the development of the human race.

What I am saying is that the North should kick out the Texans and take their oil.

I don't think that this is right so much as it is inevitable.

Hence the whole nation-states eating the hunter-gathering societies.

Artreus on
This discussion has been closed.