As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The spider thread: scorpions and crabs a-okay too!

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
We ended up getting into a great dicsussion about spiders when a thread in help and advice went off topic. Use this thread to share your spider related stories, interesting facts, opinions and such. Personally I love spiders and would honestly love to hold a tarantula now I've given it a lot of thought. If I had the chance to, it would be one of those situations where I'd think 'Would I regret this if I didn't do it?', and I would regret missing my chance to hold one.

Ever seen a spider shed it's skin? It's pretty amazing. I've not much time to scan youtube to find a good video but I'm sure someone will provide.

EDIT: Feel free to talk about other similar and fascinating creatures

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's what I have to say about spiders: Fuck them, and fuck this thread by proxy. Those things are scary, as are any more-than-four-legged things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't seen a Daddy Longlegs in years. Where did they all go?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I haven't seen a Daddy Longlegs in years. Where did they all go?

my bathroom. call the fucking ghostbusters.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spiders are awesome because their design is so successful that it's been around for millions of years. Also, Spider-Man. I generally don't kill them when I see them scurrying around the house because they take care of little pests. I may have to change this rule because I have a little girl running around the house now.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    What are the ghost busters gonna do about spiders?

I like spiders. Spiders are nice. They like to eat all the potential harmful bugs. So I generally leave them alone.

Unless they make a web from my windshield down to my dashboard. Seriously spider, what the fuck was that about?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a pet spider in my car for a summer. Made a web in the back window in the coner. Litte guy feasted.

I don't think he survived the winter though :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like spiders because they eat things I hate. They also make ridiculously complicated webs with their tiny, tiny excuses for brains. Pretty cool. I'm used to living with people that are scared of them and kill them, but I never kill spiders. I'll let them build webs in my windows during the summer, and sometimes even feed them by tossing bugs into their webs.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ever seen a spider shed it's skin?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=76569

POSSIBLY.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like spiders, and I have to wonder about people who claim to fear or hate them.

I do hate walking into a web unawares, though.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like spiders, and I have to wonder about people who claim to fear or hate them.

I do hate walking into a web unawares, though.

ain't enough lime in the world.
    i hate the feeling intensely, and it doesn't help that whenever i see a spiderweb it's always the biggest fucking spider i've seen all over again, and i imagine it running up my face.
    once in 9th grade we dared a kid to snort a live spider. and he did. man... what a weird kid.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only good thing about spiders is watching them spin webs, which is awesome

Otherwise they are terror-creatures from negaspace with too many eyes, and soon they will devour the world (including us)

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think spiders are absolutely fascinating. I love finding an absolutely huge web in the woods suspended in midair ten feet from the nearest tree. I also love seeing a silverfish being wrapped up by a spider in my laundry room.

My wife hates them though, so I am constantly pretending to kill spiders to keep her happy.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only good thing about spiders is watching them spin webs, which is awesome

Otherwise they are terror-creatures from negaspace with too many eyes, and soon they will devour the world (including us)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/364270

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Spiders are awesome because their design is so successful that it's been around for millions of years. Also, Spider-Man. I generally don't kill them when I see them scurrying around the house because they take care of little pests. I may have to change this rule because I have a little girl running around the house now.

If it's a small spider, like a jumping spider or a small wolf spider, I'll get a dixie cup and relocate the little guy outside to the rose bushes. If it's a Black Widow, I get a shoe.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

If it's a small spider, like a jumping spider or a small wolf spider, I'll get a dixie cup and relocate the little guy outside to the rose bushes. If it's a Black Widow, I get a shoe.

Obviously. The ones I see in the house are usually tiny. Even the ones who like to set up shop in the garage to snack on crickets and june bugs are half the size of a dime. I don't have any trees in my yard, so we don't have any huge tree spiders to scare the shit out of people.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have always been afraid of spiders, but that fear has led to fascination.

This is my standard spider reaction routine:

1. Notice spider.
    2. Gasp, or yell, or make some other kind of frightened noise.
    3. Leap a foot into the air.
    4. Calm down.
    5. Get a magnifying glass and inspect this marvelous creature.

Hachface on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hatchface wrote: »

1. Notice spider.
    4. Calm down.

Is the magnifying glass focusing a searing beam of light?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Hatchface wrote: »

1. Notice spider.
    4. Calm down.

Is the magnifying glass focusing a searing beam of light?

Not on purpose. But accidents do happen.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I can't help but find these adorable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGPOd_09CU

Am I the only one who thinks the first one looks really cute and petabble?

EDIT:

Dawwww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArY15xoVa4&NR=1

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    spiders fascinate me because they're a completely alien body type that's as successful (arguably much more succesful) than the mammalian or lizard one. Totally fucking awesome. If we encounter aliens from deep space it won't be people with weird foreheads (I'm looking at you, Star Trek), it'll be fucking space spiders.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am scared of spiders, but much more scared of flying and swarming insects.

With spiders, at least you know where they are, and you know they're not going to fly into your hair or your shirt collar. Also they kill insects.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This spider is absolutley gorgeous looking. Skip to 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0YVccSqcw

EDIT: looks like most indian ornimentals have lovley patterns to them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaZ2v5zS-z8&NR=1

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A spider on your face is good luck.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One time during an exercise at Field Traning, I led my team to a bunker, and while my instructors are reaming me for lack of control, my team was flipping out in the bunker but too scared to say anything. It was full of black widows.

I didn't know what a Brown Recluse was either, but they told us that someone got bit by one in their shoe and could hardly walk for a little while.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    With spiders, at least you know where they are, and you know they're not going to fly into your hair or your shirt collar. Also they kill insects.

One of my earliest memories is waking up and seeing a spider descending on a web line from the ceiling, ninja assassin style, toward my face. They are masters of getting from A to B quietly and B may very well be in your hair.

I like spiders though.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    If someone offered me a device that would instantly wipe out every spider on the planet I would use it. I'd think about the consequences for a brief period of time, after which I would say screw it, and press the button.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like spiders when they keep to themselves in out of the way places. We have an agreement, with the spiders in our house. They're free to spin their webs in unoccupied corners and crevices, so long as I don't find them in the more used areas of the house. And no bedroom spiders.

So web spiders, good. Hunting spiders, not so good.

We recently lucked into a spider in our garage with a red body the size of a quarter. She spun a web on one of the doors to the outside, and just kind of hung out there all summer. I think she's moved on with the colder weather though, because I haven't seen her lately.

Entriech on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    I don't usually ask them to roll over and tell me they're not a Widow or Recluse. I look at them one time, get about 3 feet away and say, "I'm going to leave the room. If you're still here when I come back in 30 minutes, I'm going to assume you're too stupid to live, and your line will not continue. Otherwise, you may eat whatever you can catch, but don't let me see you again. Ever."

It works more often than you'd think.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ITT: grown men squealing like little girls because of an insect.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, spiders are adorable. Just like that guy who thought spiders were adorable, so he decided to fill his house with them and other exotic creatures. Then the authorities all found him weeks later with spiders crawling out of his face using him to have babies and shit.

What the fuck is wrong with you.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a difference between agreeing to coexist with indicental predators such as lizards and spiders that happen to come into your home and eat other bugs that don't respond to standard pest control and raising a fucking zoo in your house.

GungHo on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Well, sure if it's like a swarm of wasps or something.

What does that have to do with spiders though?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

ARACHNID!

Hachface on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Am I the only one who thinks the first one looks really cute and petabble?

No, I thought it was incredibly cute. While I admit some spiders make me uncomfortable, the vast majority of them are awesome.

I remember one time a really tiny jumping spider (about half the size of the nail on my pinky) landed on my shoulder and crawled up my hand, so I put my other hand in front of it, and it jumped to it. I then kept moving my other hand in front of the other, and it kept jumping - almost like it was playing.

I fully understand that it was probably not playing, but I like to think of it that way.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, spiders are adorable. Just like that guy who thought spiders were adorable, so he decided to fill his house with them and other exotic creatures. Then the authorities all found him weeks later with spiders crawling out of his face using him to have babies and shit.

Well that guy was retarded.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

What? This doesn't sound like a real thing.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

ARACHNID!

Common parlance vs. scientific nomenclature: FIGHT!

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

ARACHNID!

No way man. You said "insect," not "bug." "Insect" is totally scientific nomenclature.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

ARACHNID!

No way man. You said "insect," not "bug." "Insect" is totally scientific nomenclature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IbyWxEq-0c

skip to 1.10 if are in a hurry

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png