As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular

GPIA7R on

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the only "factory restore" you get on a laptop is re-installing the original OS that came with the laptop. this isn't like an consumer electronics where you can factory reset it with some button combination.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the only "factory restore" you get on a laptop is re-installing the original OS that came with the laptop. this isn't like an consumer electronics where you can factory reset it with some button combination.

+1

You can erase the Linux partition, wipe the bootloader, resize the XP partition to fill the empty space, and then it'll be about how far back you can make System Restore go.

But this is why you're supposed to make recovery discs/recovery images when you start off.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    How would one go about wiping the bootloader back to default?

Use the XP Recovery Console and use fixmbr at the command prompt.

Alternatively you can use an Ubuntu live-disc following the instructions here using the ms-sys package.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My Acer netbook came with a couple of recovery disks used to restore it to factory default. I ended up having to buy a SATA -> USB adapter so that I could use my DVD drive to restore my netbook. It's surprising that your netbook didn't come with some sort of recovery package. Maybe you should check the ASUS site to see if they have anything downloadable.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Usually netbooks have an extra partition just for that. Maybe you deleted it when you installed Fedora?

Impersonator on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

edit - Hullo. I am a idiot.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    On the 1000HE you're supposed to be able to press F9 while it's booting up to access the recovery partition. If Fedora changed the boot order and stuff though, you might be able to load up a copy of Norton Ghost and restore it from the partition that way.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Looks like linux did screw it up, 'cause I can't F9 to it anymore.

Also can't get into recovery console to recover the bootloader.

There's a "PE" partition, about 5 gigs... some say it's the OS mirror, but I'd bet that's the F9 stuff

Grub/lilo/whatever will have a key you can hit at the select OS screen to fuck around with the boot order; you can pritoritize the PE partition and the CD drive there, even if you can't in the BIOS.

edit: e should work.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on