As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

1323334353638»

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Arde wrote: »
    I've always wanted to try balut. That and durian fruit.

You either love durian or you hate it - there's no middle ground with Durian.

South East Asians love durians, but those that don't, hate it. Those who like it, love the smell, taste, sweetness, and fluffiness of the fruit. And those who don't, hate all those basically.

Once you've eaten an actual unprocessed raw durian (not ice cream, not juice) and like it, you're hooked for life. If you don't like it, you'll also dislike the thing your entire life. :P

Most people who like durians also prefer the whole ones with the spiky shell since it keeps the smell and fermentation of the juices inside just right - unlike the frozen ones. Once you've tasted the shelled ones you opened yourself, the frozen ones just don't come close at all.

For those interested in trying out durian, it's better if you are the types of people who appreciate niche food like the nasty smelling cheese (limburger for one). It will taste alien since it doesn't smell nor taste like any fruit you've ever had so your best bet is to prepare eating durian like you're especting to eat natto, goat cheese, limburger, stilton, or marmite.
    Don't set your expectation to something like rambutan, lychee, peach, or any of those refreshing fruit.

Interestingly, its not actually like Marmite but a Genetic thing. Most of the people who like it aren't those who appreciate the smell of rotting vegetable matter but actually taste a fairly sweet but water fruit, a bit like a sweeter watermelon apparently. Westerners for the most part lack this gene (but we win far the ability to process alcohol and tolerate diets higher in fat and salt which seems a fair trade) hence why we usually can't stand to even be in the same room as these things.

This is also true of brussel sprouts. People who like them don't taste the horribly bitter thing that the rest of us do.

I cannot handle bitter. Broccoli Rabe is putrid. Seriously, this shit...
    broccoli_rabe.jpg
    is fucking gross. This is partially why there are few beers I really enjoy, I pick up on bitter very easily.
    I've had durian ice cream before, found some of the taste quite enjoyable,.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Sawatdee, is that good Thai? It is the only Thai I have ever had.

"Hello" Thai?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Sawatdee, is that good Thai? It is the only Thai I have ever had.

"Hello" Thai?
    Its an american restaurant.

Fizban140 on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

South East Asians love durians, but those that don't, hate it. Those who like it, love the smell, taste, sweetness, and fluffiness of the fruit. And those who don't, hate all those basically.

Once you've eaten an actual unprocessed raw durian (not ice cream, not juice) and like it, you're hooked for life. If you don't like it, you'll also dislike the thing your entire life. :P

Most people who like durians also prefer the whole ones with the spiky shell since it keeps the smell and fermentation of the juices inside just right - unlike the frozen ones. Once you've tasted the shelled ones you opened yourself, the frozen ones just don't come close at all.

For those interested in trying out durian, it's better if you are the types of people who appreciate niche food like the nasty smelling cheese (limburger for one). It will taste alien since it doesn't smell nor taste like any fruit you've ever had so your best bet is to prepare eating durian like you're especting to eat natto, goat cheese, limburger, stilton, or marmite.
    Don't set your expectation to something like rambutan, lychee, peach, or any of those refreshing fruit.

Interestingly, its not actually like Marmite but a Genetic thing. Most of the people who like it aren't those who appreciate the smell of rotting vegetable matter but actually taste a fairly sweet but water fruit, a bit like a sweeter watermelon apparently. Westerners for the most part lack this gene (but we win far the ability to process alcohol and tolerate diets higher in fat and salt which seems a fair trade) hence why we usually can't stand to even be in the same room as these things.

This is also true of brussel sprouts. People who like them don't taste the horribly bitter thing that the rest of us do.

broccoli_rabe.jpg
    is fucking gross. This is partially why there are few beers I really enjoy, I pick up on bitter very easily.

For both those foods, it was the texture. Way too stringy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

For more food related bizarrity, as the Red African Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) come up yet? Turns sour tastes sweet.

For the longest time growing up, I never understood why I keep hearing how durian smells like that nastiest shit that ever shat out of a shit machine, because it only had a faint smell to me (a pleasant one, at that). Later one, I came to the conclusion that non-Asians are just flat-out defective when it comes to that fruit.

Another great thing about fresh durian is that, in a pinch, you can attach that sucker to a chain and maul zombies with it.

Zxerol on
    edited October 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

For more food related bizarrity, as the Red African Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum) come up yet? Turns sour tastes sweet.

For the longest time growing up, I never understood why I keep hearing how durian smells like that nastiest shit that ever shat out of a shit machine, because it only had a faint smell to me (a pleasant one, at that). Later one, I came to the conclusion that non-Asians are just flat-out defective when it comes to that fruit.

Another great thing about fresh durian is that, in a pinch, you can attach that sucker to a chain and maul zombies with it.

Given that it's the matter of being able to detect something, I'd probably guess that it's the other way around.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

Given that there are plenty of asian countries with, 'hey, don't eat that here' durian rules, I don't think it's a 'non-asian' thing. You're probably just a weird exception, like the people who can't smell asparagus pee.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Sichuan beef is my regular go to at take out places. I don't think I've ever had real sichuan food though, so I'll have to try and find a good place in chinatown.
    I tried the American equivalent when I got back.

It's, yeah. Hmm.

But you're in New York, so you should have decent luck finding some pretty authentic stuff I imagine.
    Believe it or not, we can get a pretty good selection here in Houston, too. Most of the Hunan cooking is blah here, but there are a couple of good Sichuan joints, some good Cantonese joints, some ok Shanghai and Beijing joints, and some decent Taiwanese joints.
    Problem is that Chinese restaurants in America have separate menus for people who order in Chinese.
    Crazily enough, the menu separation is done to "protect" you from getting food that they don't think a Westerner is gonna like and then say "holy shit, don't go to Madame Lu's Sichuan Bistro, they tried to kill me by setting fire to my asshole".

GungHo on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life is stuff I made myself with an eye towards health. I pity people who think fast food is amazingly delicious.

And I pity people that have never been to a great mom and pop fast food joint. There really is amazingly delicious fast food out there, you just have to avoid the major chains to have a chance at finding it.

Some times you don't even need a joint, there's all sorts of crazy stuff turning up in trucks these days. Mmm... Korean BBQ tacos.

Pata wrote: »
    Thai food is the best kind of food

Thai food is a favorite treat of my family.

That reminds me, I need to go get some pumpkin curry before it's back out of season.

BubbaT on
    edited October 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Sichuan beef is my regular go to at take out places. I don't think I've ever had real sichuan food though, so I'll have to try and find a good place in chinatown.

It's, yeah. Hmm.

But you're in New York, so you should have decent luck finding some pretty authentic stuff I imagine.
    Believe it or not, we can get a pretty good selection here in Houston, too. Most of the Hunan cooking is blah here, but there are a couple of good Sichuan joints, some good Cantonese joints, some ok Shanghai and Beijing joints, and some decent Taiwanese joints.
    Problem is that Chinese restaurants in America have separate menus for people who order in Chinese.
    Crazily enough, the menu separation is done to "protect" you from getting food that they don't think a Westerner is gonna like and then say "holy shit, don't go to Madame Lu's Sichuan Bistro, they tried to kill me by setting fire to my asshole".

Do you have Uighur food?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

It's, yeah. Hmm.

Do you have Uighur food?

I've never heard of that before so I just looked it up.

They, uh... They really like lamb, don't they?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Menu separation in Thai places is usually to keep people from ordering things that will kill them with heat.

Chinese? To keep you from ordering chicken feet.

EDIT

And a Burger King Whopper is delicious. Probably the best run of the mill fast food burger out there.

Sheep on
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »

It's, yeah. Hmm.

Do you have Uighur food?

I've never heard of that before so I just looked it up.

They, uh... They really like lamb, don't they?

I was just looking at it. I'm guessing that they don't have many fish dishes, but I still want to try it, as it's probably the most obscure province.

It's a kind of goal of mine to eat food from every province. I should get started on it before I settle down.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll give you that; I'm a sucker for Whoppers. I used to eat a ton of Whopper Jr.s when they were only $.99.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if they have it still but the Texas Whopper served down here is a Whopper on steroids. If I had to guess, it's a third larger than a normal Whopper and has some type of semi-sweet peppers in it.

emnmnme on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoppers schmoppers

So I've just moved to North America and what I really miss from Australia are the kebabs. Why can't you people do kebabs properly? Where's the choice of sauces? Why is it tiny and are those fucking beets? Why are there beets in my kebab? What the fuck?

Crimson King on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    broccoli_rabe.jpg

That just looks absolutely delicious to me.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoppers schmoppers

So I've just moved to North America and what I really miss from Australia are the kebabs. Why can't you people do kebabs properly? Where's the choice of sauces? Why is it tiny and are those fucking beets? Why are there beets in my kebab? What the fuck?

That's your penance after unleashing that horrible Vegemite stuff on the world.

emnmnme on
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Whoppers schmoppers

That's your penance after unleashing that horrible Vegemite stuff on the world.

Beets are fairly common in Iranian/Persian food. Not a core staple, but I'm not sure how they'd seem out of place with kebabs.

BubbaT on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoppers schmoppers

Where are you and what sort of shit place are you buying kebabs from o_O

If you are near a city, they should have an ethnic place where you can get all different styles of kebab and are quiet good and cheap. Hell I can problem name over a dozen off the top of my head in DC alone.

psychotix on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoppers schmoppers

what city are you in??? I've only had good kebabs in and around Detroit due to the sheer number of middle eastern and mediterranean people that live there. Phoenix has suck-ass kebabs. Tried some while in LA once, sucked ass. Chicago, suck ass, though they make a mean gyro there.

logic7 on
    edited October 2009
    Whoppers schmoppers

I have no idea what the hell you're eating and I doubt the cook does either.

Though most of the time to get a kebab here I have to go to a Mediterranean place.

Though I hate places that sell kebabs and it's just burnt meat on a stick.

Sheep on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Whoppers schmoppers

I have no idea what the hell you're eating and I doubt the cook does either.

Though most of the time to get a kebab here I have to go to a Mediterranean place.

Though I hate places that sell kebabs and it's just burnt meat on a stick.

that sounds like shish kufta. I LOVE shish kufta (and I make a damned good beef kufta too)

logic7 on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To the people claiming durians are awful.

Well... I liked them. Though fuck they do stink something awful and I would never take them home.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    Whoppers schmoppers

what city are you in??? I've only had good kebabs in and around Detroit due to the sheer number of middle eastern and mediterranean people that live there. Phoenix has suck-ass kebabs. Tried some while in LA once, sucked ass. Chicago, suck ass, though they make a mean gyro there.

You obviously had no idea where to go in Chicago. There are plenty of great kebabs available in the more ethnic Indian and Middle Eastern neighborhoods, and at a handful of standout spots outside of the more concentrated locales.

I'm also fortunate to have an Indian father-in-law who makes some killer kebabs of several varieties, and Indian mother-in-law who is a whiz with sauces, chutneys, and anything else you might like to have with a kebab :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ketar on
    edited October 2009
    I couldn't eat a durian on account that those who have told me it it has the consistency of a custard.

Sheep on
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    Whoppers schmoppers

Where did you eat in LA? Don't eat in Little Armenia, the best kebabs are in Glendale (Helena's and Carousel).

LA's ethnic enclave labelling is stupid like that - the best Chinese isn't in Chinatown, the best Japanese isn't in Little Tokyo, etc. Only Koreatown earns its name.

BubbaT on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Some times you don't even need a joint, there's all sorts of crazy stuff turning up in trucks these days. Mmm... Korean BBQ tacos.

Ok that phrase alone made my mouth water. I was just down in LA and at a hotel on the border of K-town. Was with some Chinese friends and mine, and they had a local friend who introduced me to Korean food and Korean BBQ for the first time (not a huge Korean community in my neck of the woods).

I wanted to try the Korean pizza place after that experience, and now I just have one more thing to add to my list if I ever make it back down there. That and some good Mexican food. I never did stop to try some good Mexican food while I was down there :(.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited October 2009
    Decius wrote: »

Ok that phrase alone made my mouth water. I was just down in LA and at a hotel on the border of K-town. Was with some Chinese friends and mine, and they had a local friend who introduced me to Korean food and Korean BBQ for the first time (not a huge Korean community in my neck of the woods).

I wanted to try the Korean pizza place after that experience, and now I just have one more thing to add to my list if I ever make it back down there. That and some good Mexican food. I never did stop to try some good Mexican food while I was down there :(.

Korean food is good, but it requires a place with a lot of koreans or it gets toned down. <3 anandale and fallschurch

psychotix on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Korean food is good, but it requires a place with a lot of koreans or it gets toned down. <3 anandale and fallschurch

oh I know. Every place we went to our local Korean friend got frowned at when they saw me.

"Why you bring white people here?! First one come, then more. No good!"

Not actually said, but I got that idea. Was fucking hilarious as far as I'm concerned.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »
    McGriddles are goddamn delicious.

I have to concur with this. It is breakfast perfection.

Krathoon on
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

oh I know. Every place we went to our local Korean friend got frowned at when they saw me.

"Why you bring white people here?! First one come, then more. No good!"

Not actually said, but I got that idea. Was fucking hilarious as far as I'm concerned.

I meant towns, but same applies to food joints I guess. Whole portions of NoVA are either korean, vietnamese, mexican, peruvian, you know where to go for the eats.

psychotix on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Krathoon wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »
    McGriddles are goddamn delicious.

I have to concur with this. It is breakfast perfection.

I gave up on the Tucker Max Message Board years ago, but I remain eternally grateful for having read this interaction there:

Tucker: Dude---that thing looks disgusting. It has to be nasty, with the syrup shit in it. What is that?

SlingBlade: I can only assume from your cavalier attitude that you have yet to partake of the wonderment that is the McGriddle. Let me enlighten you. What happens is the One True God grows them on trees in the Elysian Fields using a heretofore unused incantation. He then proceeds to magica them down to your local eatery where whatever Ghetto Bastard cook your McDonalds has rescued from welfare that week proceeds to wrap it in cellophane and pass it along to you, the fortunate consumer. You proceed to ingest this finery in the vain hope that your obviously overmatched taste buds can somehow grasp the delectable intricacies it is suddenly faced with. Is that egg? Why yes it is, and bacon too. But wait---they didn't add....yes they did, yes they did indeed. They added cheese. And then, then my friends, they wrapped it in a sumptuous pancake bun! As your taste buds try to process that amazing information, IT hits them....the syrup nugget. THE MOTHERFUCKING SYRUP NUGGET! It announces itself with a burst of confectionary grandiosity the likes of which your palate has never seen."

Tucker: So you like them?

SlingBlade: If you EVER speak ill of the McGriddle again I will personally force-feed you one while I fuck you in the butt using the wrapper as a condom and then donkey punch you when the infused syrup nuggets explode in your mouth."

Ketar on
    edited October 2009
    I think I'll stick with a bagel with feta and lox.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Be careful with that shit, man. I know of some sketchy as shit truck that sells shrimp, and I'd never go there.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2009

Make sure you go to the Kogi truck, and not a knock-off. Signature is the tacos, but they also have Korean BBQ or kimchi quesadillas.

BubbaT on