As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alyce's Mediocre Sandwich! *UPDATE*[NSFW]

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Alrighty, so I've gotten a bit into toy making! Here's the first thing I've done. This was from a one piece rubber mold. It was sculpted out of plasticine clay first, then put in a box where smooth on rubber was poured over it, then I removed the clay once the mold was dry and poured liquid plastic into the mold. Spent hours sanding this bad boy down to get all the imperfections out. Dremmeled it a bit, and then painted it.

wormsmall769.jpg

wormsmall2787.jpg

It was fun.

Going to try to make a movable action figure next, I think.

AlyceInWonderland on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    did your mold hold up? if so, how many do you expect to make from a single mold?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My only problem is that there aren't nearly enough of them. I do, however, possess the solution, and its very simple.

Go make more. Many more of them. Right away.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The mold can probably make up to 3 or 4, I'd have to redo it though to save me some trouble, because this particular one didn't take as well as I'd like (I ran out half way through, and that fucked up the process I had going) and there was a huge bubble in the mouth which I dremmeled out. It was a pain in the ass, but I didn't have enough time or money to make another entire mold. The mold itself held up really well.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is this your first time taking the sculpting, and molding process to this finished level?

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This is my first time doing this at all, really. besides the plasticine, I've never used any of these materials.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow. That's really not too shabby then for your first time out. I'd say it was a pretty successful test run. Hope you like working in the materials, and the process enough to keep it up. You might have a real knack for it.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks! It was actually a final I rushed for class, so in reality I could have spent a lot more time on it (especially painting it), but I just didn't have the time.

It was a lot of fun though, and I fully plan on doing more. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, the cost of sculpting materials, especially half-decent ones, are very, very high. That's one of the major drawbacks. Luckily its one of the only ones.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    if you bang the mold on the table a few times after you pour the junk in, it'll cause the air bubbles to get out, usually

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay, Alyce is back!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hooray! :D

College classes just ended today, so once I get some sleep (I'm running on 3 hours for this week cause of finals hurrr) I'm going to photograph all the stuff I've been working on this year. Buttloads, I say. Buttloads.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Buttloads, I say. Buttloads.

Yessssssssssss.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I had no idea you were fond of my stuff! I haven't been around these here parts in a while, but I'm glad I've made an impression on at least one person :)

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You have no idea.

One day i was just like, "you know what would be cool? If Alyce was here."

DeeLock on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This little guy sure is happy! Look at that smile!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Actually, you know what I forgot to mention (and Im' probably going to kick my self for mentioning it), is that it totally looks like a green penis monster. I should get a photo of the back cause it sure is phallic.

Deelock: that's quite the complement. Thanks!

Edit: it's also about the length of a hand, and 5 or 6 inches in height.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's really cute. I'd love to have that sitting on my work monitor. :^:

Kris on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i like

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Alrighty, so I finally got off my lazy ass and took some pictures of my school stuff and other things I've been working on.

Portraits:

These and the studies below were for a 2 hour painting class. Practicaly none of them are finished because I hate rushing, and 2 hours was not enough time for me.

portrait1787.jpg

portrait2619.jpg

portrait3684.jpg

Studies:

study1270.jpg

study2106.jpg

study3388.jpg

Other school assignments:

For this project we had to pick a song and illustrate it. I chose Cemetery Polka by Tom Waits.
    waits364.jpg

Detail
    detailwaits982.jpg

This projects theme was "bad luck"
    badluck100.jpg

detail
    detailbadluck530.jpg

We had to illustrate a fear. Fuck clowns, basically... I'm gonna work on this one more, cause I half assed it.
    clown667.jpg

detail
    detailclown824.jpg

Self portrait of me dying in a really shitty way.
    frick872.jpg

detail
    detailfrick697.jpg

Doodles and random stuff:
    Just about everyday with me and my boyfriend.
    doodle144.jpg

Just about every night.
    doodle2914.jpg

Tattoo of a phoenix he asked me to design him. It's going across his back.
    phoenix594.jpg

Crits and comments always welcome :D

Edit:

Hey know what's funny?
    Arts from when I started posting here 4 years ago!
    airpiratehandcutcolor318.png

D:

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Very very nice. I especially like the blending in your paintings (and that they're really clear photos). Small crit on the first one would be that the dude's neck looks a little thick, and I think it has to do with the right (his left) side. Also, don't forget the NSFW tag.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The improvement from those four years is staggering, and your eye for color is marvelous. It's something that I really struggle with, and i'm very jealous of you because of this.

Godfather on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The little "in line" and "in bed" cartoons made me giggle.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How did I not see this thread?

Alyce when did you return?

Tam on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    really wonderful paintings. great colours.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    How did I not see this thread?

Alyce when did you return?

I duno! and maybe a week ago?

To be honest I missed this place and the helpful critiques people give.

Thanks you guys for the comments, I really appreciate them, and more are totally welcome.

I agree that I've improved greatly over the past four years, which is SUCH a relief when I look back on my old drawings. I get into such an "i suck so badly" rut sometimes.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    study1270.jpg

Just about every night.
    doodle2914.jpg

1. I approve of your model.

2. What's going on in that comic?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    For this project we had to pick a song and illustrate it. I chose Cemetery Polka by Tom Waits.
    waits364.jpg
    And we must find out where the money is, get it now before he loses his mind! :^:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    study1270.jpg

Just about every night.
    doodle2914.jpg

1. I approve of your model.

2. What's going on in that comic?

1. Thanks! She was hot.

2. I sleep talk. A lot. and tend to startle my boyfriend.

Elliot: Oh MAN i'm glad someone finally knows that song. Such a great one, too.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I really like the family reunion one, Alyce, though there's a lot of unnecessary empty space- mostly at the bottom.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I know, I had a hell of a time with that. the 'canvas' had to be 20 by 20, and I was being retarded and didn't map out where I was going to put everything.... thus resulting in a lot of stupid empty space. hooray!

but now since it's no longer required to have it be 20 by 20, I think i'm just gonna saw the bottom portion off.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well then just scale and compose things better next time, I guess.

I also really like the figure. Late as hell, I know, but there you go.

Tam on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My biggest gripe with the family reunion painting is the word oxygen on the oxygen bottle.. I think it's a bit redundant (what else would it be, cyanide?) and it's kinda distracting to me..

Also the letters spelling family reunion don't really feel as though they're a part of the painting/ banner. Perhaps draw a grid on the banner before the lettering, so it'll follow the folds more closely..

But all in all, pretty descent. I really like the textured background (i'd love to see an entire painting done in that technique)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Welp, time for an update! Expect a lot more of these, cause it's thesis year.... which means a buttload of work.

WIP for my mini-thesis. We have to Modernize a Greek God or myth. I chose ares. Times Square will be in ruin in the background.
    ares2112.jpg

We had to create a book cover for a fake book we had to think up. I wanted to name this one "Z is for Zombie" but someone pointed out that Beavotron has the same name for her book, or something, so I had to scrap that :P
    zisforzombie373.jpg

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    um, just throwing this out there. My initial reaction to the first image was.. modernize a greek god- cool.. Ares-- cool. There are a lot of cool stories such as these I just grabbed from a quickgoogle search "stories about ares"
    Ares being chained inside an urn for thirteen months by the two giants Otus and Ephialtes. Ares remained inside that urn till Hermes came and rescued him, and Artemis tricked Otus and Ephialtes into killing each other.

Ares is also well known for the part he played in the Trojan War. He was on the side of the Trojans, but he was injured by Athena, when she threw a huge boulder on him.

and you landed on just him burning times square. That seems a little lazy in terms of concept.

Not that your concept isnt logical its just a bit of a let down with all of the other options you had.

Id also advise shooting some reference as you have some pretty major drawing issues with the face.

I cant really tell what your end goal is with the painting because its a wip so Im not sure if you are painting out those black lines you have around him or not but outlining the shape of the eye opening with a black line is going to flatten it. But if your goal is not to create the illusion of form then I dont know what further advice to offer beyond that.

the second image is pretty fun though. Good stuff.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, thanks for the crit. I appreciate it.

Clarification: This isn't really my mini thesis- that was just kind of a fun 'warm up' painting I did. The actual concept is Ares influencing a huge riot in the middle of times square. It's going to be a Quadtych, and it's going to show a panoramic view of a fucked up times square (times square because I go to school in the city, and it'll be beneficial to just travel to TS and do some studies), with multiple people causing horrifying bloodshed, police brutality... basically people fucking eachother up completely because of Ares' influence). My goal in the end is to make it as disturbing as possible, as Ares was the god of Chaos, and bloodlust (not really war, contrary to popular belief)

AlyceInWonderland on