As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I was wondering why you posted that until I got to question 7.

"What is your favorite season?
    SUMMER WINTER
    SPRING FALL"

"Why do you think Democrats hate America?
    MALICE LOVE TERRORISM TOO MUCH
    HATE FREEDOM HATE GOD"

"Favorite Merry Melodies character?

BUGS BUNNY DAFFY DUCK
    PORKY PIG ELMER FUDD
    OTHER______"

The Muffin Man on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    Also, part of the problem why some people don't respect self-styled intellectuals and the education establishment, is that for alleged free thinkers, they pretty much think, do, and say basically the exact same things.

Seriously, you're complaining that when people are educated they end up making the same decisions as other educated people. Therefore getting an education is bad, because educated decisions and liberal decisions tend to be one and the same? There's a big problem here, and it sure as hell ain't the people making the correct decisions...

Sucks that real life has a well known liberal bias.
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Actually, there is some controversy over the use of leeches and bleeding as medical treatments.

They're useful wherever you need to remove blood or have a blood thinner. It's not really controversy as much as "well duh, that's what they do." The FDA even supports leeches and maggots for use in certain cases.

zerg rush on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's like how all these self-styled scientists deny young-earth creationism. Or how all these self-styled "mathematicians" deny Time Cube. It's a vast liberal conspiracy!

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    It's like how all these self-styled scientists deny young-earth creationism. Or how all these self-styled "mathematicians" deny Time Cube. It's a vast liberal conspiracy!

Democrats have educated you stupid.

The Muffin Man on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Leeches are pretty amazing in specific applications

Maggots are really unpopular (they're fucking gross) but they're the most painless, effective and sterile flesh debriding agents known to medicine. It's a shame they aren't used more when flesh goes necrotic - nothing heals faster then a maggot-cleaned wound.

Robman on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, part of the problem why some people don't respect self-styled intellectuals and the education establishment, is that for alleged free thinkers, they pretty much think, do, and say basically the exact same things. Left-wing views and opinions that are never challenged or debated, just reinforced even when they're painfully and obviously wrong or at least imperfect.
    Yes, the left-wing holds the exact same views as it did two hundred years ago. That's why I, as a self-styled intellectual, am a strict constructionist who believes that the United States should build itself on the might of agriculture. I also believe that a federal government stronger than a piece of tissue paper is a threat to liberty.

Edit: I am also greatly amused by your implication that if studies come up with results that may be embarrassing for one party they shouldn't be funded.

Kanamit on
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Maggots are really unpopular (they're fucking gross) but they're the most painless, effective and sterile flesh debriding agents known to medicine. It's a shame they aren't used more when flesh goes necrotic - nothing heals faster then a maggot-cleaned wound.

It's icky!

Hey genius, that yogurt cup you're eating? Full of harmless bacteria that you can't fucking see but are helping you. Maggots are the same way.
    Just close your eyes and pretend it's puppies licking you or something.

The Muffin Man on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah...how is Time Cube guy doing?

emnmnme on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Senator Tom Coburn thinks we should stop funding political science because "people can just watch cable news." There is something deeply ironic about a U.S. Senator not having anything but the shallowest understanding of what political science is. This is literally like saying "we don't need to fund drivers' ed, because people can just watch Nascar."

And this paragon of Oklahoma probably wonders why people think his state is full of gibbering retards. Anyhow, new GOP thread, wherein we can discuss how parody is officially dead.

From a link on your post:

NSF has also provided federal financial support for:

The ―Human Rights Data Project‖ which concluded that the United States has been “increasingly willing to torture „enemy combatants‟ and imprison suspected terrorists,” leading to a worldwide increase in “human rights violations” as others followed-suit.

Research conducted by several universities to determine why white working-class voters voted Republican in recent national elections. The study is an attempt to explain what the authors describe as the
    “puzzling behavior” of white working-class voters who vote for Republican candidates that support economic priorities that “seem to favor the wealthy at the expense of redistributive policies that would provide immediate benefits to larger segments of the population;”

A UC Berkeley study to test the impact of terrorism threats on the presidential race (the study found that it would not be a smart move for John McCain in the last election to play up imminent terrorist threats)

Production of “The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer,‖ in order to provide “Complete, live, prime-time, gavel-to-gavel coverage of 2008 Democratic and GOP national conventions;”

Research conducted by Paul Krugman, which the NSF website touts as “one of the country‟s foremost liberal commentators on economic, political, and policy issues.”

Would a Democrat want to fund something that's basically a commercial for the Republican party? Same thing here.

Also, part of the problem why some people don't respect self-styled intellectuals and the education establishment, is that for alleged free thinkers, they pretty much think, do, and say basically the exact same things. Left-wing views and opinions that are never challenged or debated, just reinforced even when they're painfully and obviously wrong or at least imperfect.

I'd love to see your typical college professor ask "Just playing devil's advocate, but what if a rectum isn't a sexual organ?" or "By embracing abortion, birth control, and denouncing housewives, has feminism destroyed itself by reducing the birth rate below the 2.1 kids per woman required to keep a society going"? Or "Hrm, Honor killings are part of some cultures; can one ethically be a progressive multiculturalist when some cultural attributes are misogynistic, homophobic, and murderous?"

When you literally have 90%ish of your faculty or reporters in some organizations of the same ideology, how is that intellectually stimulating?

Your views never get challenged or debated, you just sit in your ideological circle-jerks and just parrot each other and blather on about how much the right sucks which lends itself to dogmatic thinking in exclusive echo chambers where dissenting views are denounced as heresy (racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, whatever), hounded out, and not debated.

Obviously you also think that Milton Friedman shouldn't have received any federal dollars to fund his research at the University of Chicago. (Let alone be given a publicly funded television show like William F. Buckley.) Right?

moniker on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tiny lifeforms rock.

MKR on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OK, apparently my example about leeches was ill-made. Just replace with your favorite outdated medical procedure/theory that's known to be harmful today.

Or look at this charming T-shirt:

demons.gif

KalTorak on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This killed me:
    On Thursday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) became the Republican Party’s lead man on technology issues (and probably made Glenn Beck a happy man) by introducing the “Internet Freedom Act.” The legislation would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from making sure that Internet service providers don’t create a pay-for-play system where they could selectively block or slow content and applications. McCain called these net neutrality rules a “government takeover of the Internet.” From his press release:

When I think technology, I think John McCain!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's probably a nice step up from old Senator Tubes 'n' Trucks.

KalTorak on
    edited October 2009
    This killed me:
    On Thursday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) became the Republican Party’s lead man on technology issues (and probably made Glenn Beck a happy man) by introducing the “Internet Freedom Act.” The legislation would prohibit the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from making sure that Internet service providers don’t create a pay-for-play system where they could selectively block or slow content and applications. McCain called these net neutrality rules a “government takeover of the Internet.” From his press release:

I find that more amusing. Especially given what's going on with the future of ICANN and all. His illiteracy is showing.

moniker on
    edited October 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    He's probably a nice step up from old Senator Tubes 'n' Trucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RYxpmOIKcU

I dunno.

moniker on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    This killed me:

I find that more amusing. Especially given what's going on with the future of ICANN and all. His illiteracy is showing.
    The bolded reminds me of the people bitching about the government refusing to allow them to use more water when the government is the only reason the water is even there in the first place instead of still being a desert.

Couscous on
    edited October 2009
    This killed me:

McCain being clueless doesn't strike me as news anymore.

enlightenedbum on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, net neutrality IS kind of a government interferance with capitalism; you're interfering with letting the market decide.

Now, whether or not you think that's acceptable or not is another discussion, but from a purely technical standpoint, McCain is correct in what he says.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'd love to see your typical college professor ask "Just playing devil's advocate, but what if a rectum isn't a sexual organ?" or "By embracing abortion, birth control, and denouncing housewives, has feminism destroyed itself by reducing the birth rate below the 2.1 kids per woman required to keep a society going"? Or "Hrm, Honor killings are part of some cultures; can one ethically be a progressive multiculturalist when some cultural attributes are misogynistic, homophobic, and murderous?"

I legimately thought you were joking through the first half or so of this post. I mean, really?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, net neutrality IS kind of a government interferance with capitalism; you're interfering with letting the market decide.

Now, whether or not you think that's acceptable or not is another discussion, but from a purely technical standpoint, McCain is correct in what he says.

Government is supposed to bust up monopolies, especially natural monopolies.

Robman on
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, net neutrality IS kind of a government interference with capitalism; you're interfering with letting the market decide.

It's government interference with capitalism in the same way that anti-trust regulation, outlawing collusion, and making insider trading illegal are government 'interference' with capitalism.

moniker on
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's all about the framing. In an absolutely free market, we'd all probably be poisoned by food, have no roads/food/water, and owe everything to corporate entities that own our cities. Yet you don't hear about the republicans arguing about giving corporations the right to intimidate, murder, or form armies. But on the internet, somehow magic capitalism fixes everything.

It's basically, "I don't understand this, therefore the free market is good!" (Also, they ignore the government giving ISPs a monopoly in the first place.)

zerg rush on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, net neutrality IS kind of a government interference with capitalism; you're interfering with letting the market decide.

It's government interference with capitalism in the same way that anti-trust regulation, outlawing collusion, and making insider trading illegal are government 'interference' with capitalism.

All things good Republicans are against the government doing except on election years.

Couscous on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

It's icky!

Hey genius, that yogurt cup you're eating? Full of harmless bacteria that you can't fucking see but are helping you. Maggots are the same way.
    Just close your eyes and pretend it's puppies licking you or something.

hey asshole if i think of maggots the next time a puppy licks me i'm blaming you

Rust on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Government is supposed to bust up monopolies, especially natural monopolies.

shhh... don't speak logic, it doesn't work.

psychotix on
    edited October 2009
    That's just being insulting, very few conservatives have an issue with breaking up monopolies and understand well concepts like market entry barriers (both natural and artificial) the role government has in protecting consumers from a return to the gilded age.

Robman on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to see your typical college professor ask "Just playing devil's advocate, but what if a rectum isn't a sexual organ?"

Ok, sounds like a fun exercise, let me try.

"What if discriminating against a minority because a 4000 year old book tells us to doesn't improve society?"
    "By embracing abortion, birth control, and denouncing housewives, has feminism destroyed itself by reducing the birth rate below the 2.1 kids per woman required to keep a society going"?

"What if a woman's uterus shouldn't be state property?"

Or, "What if, despite Stormfront's insisting, being a white minority isn't that big of a deal?"
    When you literally have 90%ish of your faculty or reporters in some organizations of the same ideology, how is that intellectually stimulating?

Let me ask you something. What's more likely, that there's a grand conspiracy in Academia(TM) silencing your views in order to brainwash our youth, or that there's some flaw in your view that educated people can grasp?
    Your views never get challenged or debated,

You'd have a point, if debating ultra-conservative views was anything more than shooting fish in a barrel.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited October 2009
    Ultra-"liberal" views aren't that much harder to smash. Marxists are just as silly as Friedman-style economists.

Robman on
    edited October 2009
    That's just being insulting, very few conservatives have an issue with breaking up monopolies and understand well concepts like market entry barriers (both natural and artificial) the role government has in protecting consumers from a return to the gilded age.

What was the last 15 years if not a return to the gilded age? I suppose the Roaring 20s is the more apt comparison.

enlightenedbum on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Ultra-"liberal" views aren't that much harder to smash. Marxists are just as silly as Friedman-style economists.

not really, depends on where they apply the marxism and to what extent

adorno's a great class theorist but his views on jazz are kind of

uh

crotchety

Rust on
    edited October 2009
    Just like there are some good aspects of Friedman's theories. Just like Marxism though, it tends to utterly fuck the dog into the dirt if you apply it on a general, broad scale.

Robman on
    edited October 2009
    Just like there are some good aspects of Friedman's theories. Just like Marxism though, it tends to utterly fuck the dog into the dirt if you apply it on a general, broad scale.

The key difference here is Marxism is well outside of the Overton window, while Friedman's are right there. Hell, Rand is in the damn Overton window.

enlightenedbum on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The difference is the Republicans are dominated and held hostage by their right wing. Democratic Senators are dominated and held hostage by the Republican moderates. Marxists and extreme environmentalists (etc) split off into different parties that are functionally irrelevant. The party as a whole is left-center with the center getting a disproportionate influence.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Cultists tend not to be very good writers.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah, the fact that the guy who punches hippie while trying to win a campaign does not have Democrats enthusiastically behind him is clear evidence...

I hate the Washington Times.

enlightenedbum on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    This killed me:

The bolded reminds me of the people bitching about the government refusing to allow them to use more water when the government is the only reason the water is even there in the first place instead of still being a desert.

I'm getting sick of the "government takeover" nonsense. I swear they could vote up minimum wage and it'd be a government takeover of the payroll office.

Henroid on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm getting sick of the "government takeover" nonsense. I swear they could vote up minimum wage and it'd be a government takeover of the payroll office.

You have to remember that a core plank of the GOP platform is "government is the problem". When you believe that government is only going to destroy anything it touches, then "covernment takeover" becomes a spooky boogieman to you.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited October 2009

You have to remember that a core plank of the GOP platform is "government is the problem". When you believe that government is only going to destroy anything it touches, then "covernment takeover" becomes a spooky boogieman to you.

It's a problem when the government doesn't consist of them by majority. When they've got it, government take over doesn't exist.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.