As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

1171820222360

Posts

  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Just like there are some good aspects of Friedman's theories. Just like Marxism though, it tends to utterly fuck the dog into the dirt if you apply it on a general, broad scale.

    The key difference here is Marxism is well outside of the Overton window, while Friedman's are right there. Hell, Rand is in the damn Overton window.

    Can we charge them with indecent exposure.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    Just like there are some good aspects of Friedman's theories. Just like Marxism though, it tends to utterly fuck the dog into the dirt if you apply it on a general, broad scale.

    The key difference here is Marxism is well outside of the Overton window, while Friedman's are right there. Hell, Rand is in the damn Overton window.

    Can we charge them with indecent exposure.

    They clothe their naked villainy with old odd ends stolen forth of holy writ and seem a saint, when most they play the devil.


    [tiny]I couldn't help myself. The setup was too perfect.[/tiny]

    moniker on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Taramoor on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Good Gods, I have to agree about that being Poe's personified.

    Fencingsax on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I almost made it out of last weekend without talking politics with my parents

    So close

    And then my mom had to bring up something inane about I don't even know what the fuck and we're off on a merry chase about how arbitration biasing the judicial process in favor of corporations is not inequitable. Gah.

    Salvation122 on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Am I supposed to know who Victoria Jackson is?

    Salvation122 on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Am I supposed to know who Victoria Jackson is?

    SNL's main female cast member in the Farley/Sandler/Spade era.

    Also, it sounds like the KBR rape case and Franken's amendment?

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SNL's main female cast member in the Farley/Sandler/Spade era.
    Ah, okay.
    Also, it sounds like the KBR rape case and Franken's amendment?
    Yeah, I just can't remember how we got there.

    Salvation122 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Good Gods, I have to agree about that being Poe's personified.

    Victoria Jackson actually has a history of having stupid opinions about things, so I wouldn't doubt she actually adores Beck.

    Henroid on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Speaking of anti-intellectualism, have we seen Victoria Jackson's love letter to Glenn Beck yet?

    http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vjackson/2009/10/23/a-love-letter-to-glenn-beck/

    Poe's Law, personified, this is either her genuine opinion, or the greatest living troll since Andy Kaufman.

    Good Gods, I have to agree about that being Poe's personified.

    Victoria Jackson actually has a history of having stupid opinions about things, so I wouldn't doubt she actually adores Beck.

    Er, look at the banner. "Andrew Breitbart Presents Big Hollywood." Breitbart doesn't strike me as one to let trolls get through.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to say it's a big gag based on how she's acting in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/01/victoria-jackson-obama-a_n_139962.html and what she says in that article, but maybe she's doped up.

    Cervetus on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I'm going to say it's a big gag based on how she's acting in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/01/victoria-jackson-obama-a_n_139962.html and what she says in that article, but maybe she's doped up.

    If you read the SNL books, she was always a bible thumping type.

    enlightenedbum on
    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I'm going to say it's a big gag based on how she's acting in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/01/victoria-jackson-obama-a_n_139962.html and what she says in that article, but maybe she's doped up.

    Nah she was a fucknut during the Obama campaign. She really is just a genuinely stupid person.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But...but she went out with Weird Al once!

    Yeah, a quick browse of her wikipedia alone was disturbing enough.

    EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Then I have no choice but to lime this.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Good Gods, I have to agree about that being Poe's personified.

    Cervetus on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is only tangentially related to Republicans, but I need to get this off my chest. Why do so many right wing nut jobs sign up as supporters for Kirsten Gillibrand on Facebook? Every time she puts something up there are at least a half a dozen people talking about ACORN and how the public option is incredibly unpopular in NY. It's weird because I follow other progressive Democratic Senators on there and none of them seem to have the same problem.

    Kanamit on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty and I don't mind that. I consider this forum to be one of the highlights of intelligence on the internet, but I often feel a bit alienated because I have a few republican beliefs, but not completely. I'm for gay marriage, teaching evolution in school, but against abortion(on the fence really) and for privatized health care and less government etc. I don't have any republicans friends, nor did I know many in high school and everyone in college wears "do you smell what Barack is cookin" tshirts. I live in Arkansas, a southern state that you all call a red neck racist state(a few small towns that may be) and besides my family, I don't know too many republicans. I never have, so I've always thought republicans to be the underdog.

    The elitism and know it all attitudes that liberal democrats almost always portray has always put me off and if anything push me more towards the right. Even my hardcore conservative mom when talking about Liberals says stuff like "bless them and pray for them" when they are talking politics. You guys just rip people apart and I cannot understand why. I'm always for open mindedness and I'm always for respecting other peoples beliefs and I always thought that was part of the liberal democratic oath or something. I've seen plenty of batshit insane Liberals. I'm sure this link has been seen, but whatever.

    http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=621

    I'm sure I'll get flamed, it doesn't matter, I don't take the internet seriously, but through out high school, college, parties, shows, the internet, etc. this is how a good portion of how a conversation with liberals and republicans has gone to me.

    "LOL REPUBLICANS ARE FUCKING RETARDED"

    "LUL I KNOW! THEY ALL WORSHIP A ZOMBIE AND BELIEVE MAN WALKED WITH DINOSAURS!"

    "HAHA OH MAN..RED NECKS...SHOULD ALL BE KILLED IF YOU ASK ME"

    "TOTALLY"

    "hey, uh guys not all people that have republicans values are-"

    "STFU RACIST!"

    "YEAH GO DEER HUNT OR SOMETHING!"

    "MAN WE'RE FUCKING OPEN MINDED AS FUCK!"

    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

    aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, we're not. There is this thing called, 'the middle' which is where a lot of posters seem to dwell.

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm a centrist that regularly demolishes silly marxists in a class run by a communist. I back my position with relevant, good sources, and I don't compromise my position immediately because someone looks vaguely offended.

    It's fun to point out that Keynesian economics have done more to lift people out of misery, suffering and poverty then any Marxist redistribution scheme.

    EDIT Canadian centrist, I guess that makes me a hard-left moonbat in americaland

    Robman on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, it's not.

    My bad, "hefty quantity?"

    aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    [x]Other Jesus__________________
    I, too, generally identify myself as a Jesus.

    SithDrummer on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

    Yes. But this is the internet message board of a video game comic talking about national issues in broad generalities.

    And outside of social issues a lot of people are fairly middle of the road to conservative. Especially with regards to broader philosophical definitions. We'd most likely be considered left leaning Tories or similar. Plus you are confusing political parties with philosophy.

    moniker on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, it's not.

    My bad, "hefty quantity?"

    No, not that either.

    You're problem seems to be one of lacking perspective. You're thinking that since we're not right, we're left. There's a reason why it's called a 'political spectrum' and not a 'political dichotomy.' There are very, very few 'hard-core' lefties active around here, a fact you would have realized if you'd taken the time to look around, instead of deciding that since we're not 'right' we're all 'hardcore left' and then making a big strawman of, 'and you guys are like this!'

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »

    When the premise of your argument is:
    Why was no one ever arrested for threatening President Bush at protests, when they displayed signs in public that called for his death?

    and the only evidence that something different is happening under the Obama administration is the supposition that someone who protested and called for Obamas death MIGHT be charged. And the link doesnt even point to anything... well. Its hard to take it as a credible arguement.

    Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, it's not.

    My bad, "hefty quantity?"

    Before this breaks into "lolzolcommunism!" any further in knee-jerk responses, I'd like to think that most people on this forum, regardless of where they fall on the American political scale (and let's face it, we are using an American scale as a meter stick pretty consistently, especially when we deal with the GOP), generally recognize that a certain line of economic and political philosophy, no matter how moderate or well-intentioned, doesn't just magically work everywhere.

    I get a hard-on thinking about Keynesian economics too, but I'm not about to say it automatically works everywhere, and every nation with traditions for the laissez faire to the dedicated communist could benefit from it.

    Keynesian economics screw up every so often. Just like Marxism, and just like the pseudo-libertarian corporatism the GOP seems to be fond of at this moment, and just like actual libertarian. The world has no problem bringing up circumstances to give a big "FUCK YOU" to anyone who needs to be brought down a notch. I like to think that most of the people who regularly discuss politics in this thread have generally recognized this, for first-hand experience or otherwise.

    Synthesis on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty and I don't mind that. I consider this forum to be one of the highlights of intelligence on the internet, but I often feel a bit alienated because I have a few republican beliefs, but not completely. I'm for gay marriage, teaching evolution in school, but against abortion(on the fence really) and for privatized health care and less government etc. I don't have any republicans friends, nor did I know many in high school and everyone in college wears "do you smell what Barack is cookin" tshirts. I live in Arkansas, a southern state that you all call a red neck racist state(a few small towns that may be) and besides my family, I don't know too many republicans. I never have, so I've always thought republicans to be the underdog.

    The elitism and know it all attitudes that liberal democrats almost always portray has always put me off and if anything push me more towards the right. Even my hardcore conservative mom when talking about Liberals says stuff like "bless them and pray for them" when they are talking politics. You guys just rip people apart and I cannot understand why. I'm always for open mindedness and I'm always for respecting other peoples beliefs and I always thought that was part of the liberal democratic oath or something. I've seen plenty of batshit insane Liberals. I'm sure this link has been seen, but whatever.

    http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=621

    I'm sure I'll get flamed, it doesn't matter, I don't take the internet seriously, but through out high school, college, parties, shows, the internet, etc. this is how a good portion of how a conversation with liberals and republicans has gone to me.

    "LOL REPUBLICANS ARE FUCKING RETARDED"

    "LUL I KNOW! THEY ALL WORSHIP A ZOMBIE AND BELIEVE MAN WALKED WITH DINOSAURS!"

    "HAHA OH MAN..RED NECKS...SHOULD ALL BE KILLED IF YOU ASK ME"

    "TOTALLY"

    "hey, uh guys not all people that have republicans values are-"

    "STFU RACIST!"

    "YEAH GO DEER HUNT OR SOMETHING!"

    "MAN WE'RE FUCKING OPEN MINDED AS FUCK!"

    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.
    Arkansas is an extremely Democratic (albeit also conservative) state. It isn't surprising that you don't know many Republicans.

    As to your point about elitism, I'll just say that the "pray for them" attitude is incredibly patronizing. I can't speak for everyone else, but if I have a disagreement with someone I won't couch it in niceties and pretend to consider their POV as legitimate when I think that it's idiotic. I wish people who happen to be Republicans well, I do not wish the Republican party well. And I'm not going to pretend that their ideology is somehow reasonable or redeemable when, IMO, it really isn't.

    Finally, I don't know what point you're trying to make with that link. That there are nuts on the left? No one ever said differently. That death threats have been treated differently under Obama than Bush? Assuming that's true, it would probably be warranted as the nation's first African-American President is obviously under greater risk of assassination than his predecessors.

    Kanamit on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »

    When the premise of your argument is:
    Why was no one ever arrested for threatening President Bush at protests, when they displayed signs in public that called for his death?

    and the only evidence that something different is happening under the Obama administration is the supposition that someone who protested and called for Obamas death MIGHT be charged. And the link doesn't even point to anything... well. Its hard to take it as a credible argument.

    Wasn't someone arrested for wearing a T-Shirt critical of the wars at one of President Bush's town hall meetings? Meanwhile you have people with automatic rifles along the caravan route for Obama who aren't Secret Service/SWAT, and they manage to get interviewed as vox populi.

    moniker on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

    And outside of social issues a lot of people are fairly middle of the road to conservative. Especially with regards to broader philosophical definitions. We'd most likely be considered left leaning Tories or similar. Plus you are confusing political parties with philosophy.

    Ahh yeah, I am. My philosophy teacher said told me that before. Sorry.
    No, not that either.

    You're problem seems to be one of lacking perspective. You're thinking that since we're not right, we're left. There's a reason why it's called a 'political spectrum' and not a 'political dichotomy.' There are very, very few 'hard-core' lefties active around here, a fact you would have realized if you'd taken the time to look around, instead of deciding that since we're not 'right' we're all 'hardcore left' and then making a big strawman of, 'and you guys are like this!'

    I don't think so. At least that is not how I'm perceiving it in my mind. I didn't mean everyone at this forum. I wasn't specific, sorry. I meant Liberals and their views on republicans in general.

    aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, it's not.

    My bad, "hefty quantity?"

    Before this breaks into "lolzolcommunism!" any further in knee-jerk responses, I'd like to think that most people on this forum, regardless of where they fall on the American political scale (and let's face it, we are using an American scale as a meter stick pretty consistently, especially when we deal with the GOP), generally recognize that a certain line of economic and political philosophy, no matter how moderate or well-intentioned, doesn't just magically work everywhere.

    I get a hard-on thinking about Keynesian economics too, but I'm not about to say it automatically works everywhere, and every nation with traditions for the laissez faire to the dedicated communist could benefit from it.

    Keynesian economics screw up every so often. Just like Marxism, and just like the pseudo-libertarian corporatism the GOP seems to be fond of at this moment, and just like actual libertarian. The world has no problem bringing up circumstances to give a big "FUCK YOU" to anyone who needs to be brought down a notch. I like to think that most of the people who regularly discuss politics in this thread have generally recognized this, for first-hand experience or otherwise.

    The problem isn't usually the place so much as it is the time. There are periods when taxation can indeed be too high, certain regulatory schemes create an undue burden as a barrier to entry/stifle competition rather than promote it, and governmental investments crowd out private investment and alter interest rates. There are also periods of time that are liquidity traps and market failures. It just depends. Which is why the Republican obsession with tax cuts are truly anachronistic. It may have worked in the 80's, though that's arguable and the overall tax burden was higher when Reagan left office for most folks, but it ain't the 80's anymore.

    moniker on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »

    When the premise of your argument is:
    Why was no one ever arrested for threatening President Bush at protests, when they displayed signs in public that called for his death?

    and the only evidence that something different is happening under the Obama administration is the supposition that someone who protested and called for Obamas death MIGHT be charged. And the link doesn't even point to anything... well. Its hard to take it as a credible argument.

    Wasn't someone arrested for wearing a T-Shirt critical of the wars at one of President Bush's town hall meetings? Meanwhile you have people with automatic rifles along the caravan route for Obama who aren't Secret Service/SWAT, and they manage to get interviewed as vox populi.

    One of the comments from that blog said there was a news story about a Bush protester that had a sign like the mans in that story was deported back to Germany. That may have been it.

    Moniker, I meant the people holding signs saying Kill Bush, he's a terrorist, etc. I think anyone that wants to kill the president is batshit insane.

    aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Liberals"?
    800px-Liberal_Party_of_Canada_svg.png

    Robman on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge: I think a lot of it is that republicans accuse the left wing of ridiculous stuff, like "Obama wants to teach your kindergartener to use condoms" or "Obamacare will establish a death panel to kill grandma." And this stuff gets media coverage. Meanwhile, we have to deal with seeing things like a congressman pretending to look at pens for 20 minutes to avoid answering whether he thinks Obama is a citizen and legally president not get much coverage at all.

    It's a little maddening.

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It bothers me whenever anyway, regardless of political affiliation or iealogy, paints people with the big brush of LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE and stereotypes accordingly.

    My observations from many hours spent lurking is that people here don't tend to be "Man republicans are dumb because of X", but say "Man X is dumb, why are Republicans/Democrats/Cats doing that".

    Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    Moniker, I meant the people holding signs saying Kill Bush, he's a terrorist, etc. I think anyone that wants to kill the president is batshit insane.

    Who are you arguing that point with? I just happen to find cardboard less threatening than a semi-automatic pistol and 3 spare clips strapped to someone's leg.

    moniker on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    Moniker, I meant the people holding signs saying Kill Bush, he's a terrorist, etc. I think anyone that wants to kill the president is batshit insane.

    Who are you arguing that point with? I just happen to find cardboard less threatening than a semi-automatic pistol and 3 spare clips strapped to someone's leg.

    I don't really know what you mean. I just believe anyone that says they are willing to kill another man over politics is insane. I'm...I don't think I'm trying to argue with you. Yes I also find a semi automatic more threatening than a sign?

    aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

    And outside of social issues a lot of people are fairly middle of the road to conservative. Especially with regards to broader philosophical definitions. We'd most likely be considered left leaning Tories or similar. Plus you are confusing political parties with philosophy.

    Ahh yeah, I am. My philosophy teacher said told me that before. Sorry.
    No, not that either.

    You're problem seems to be one of lacking perspective. You're thinking that since we're not right, we're left. There's a reason why it's called a 'political spectrum' and not a 'political dichotomy.' There are very, very few 'hard-core' lefties active around here, a fact you would have realized if you'd taken the time to look around, instead of deciding that since we're not 'right' we're all 'hardcore left' and then making a big strawman of, 'and you guys are like this!'

    I don't think so. At least that is not how I'm perceiving it in my mind. I didn't mean everyone at this forum. I wasn't specific, sorry. I meant Liberals and their views on republicans in general.

    My views towards Republicans in general have been darkened by 8 years of concerted effort to destroy it. I very likely could have self identified as a Rockefeller Republican a decade ago, hell Bush the Greater is pretty high up there in my Pantheon of Presidents (so is Carter), and living in Illinois there are plenty of problems with the Democratic Party (not that the GOP here is much better) that put me off. However, the GOP has incorporated torture of people who have been denied the Great Writ into their platform and are setting up another Dolchstoss for when there is another terrorist attack (which is inevitable) in order to pretend as if that unspeakable evil was somehow beneficial, and I simply cannot abide that. Practically anything else and I could at least consider the other side of the issue and not be overly concerned with their motives. But not that.

    moniker on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    "LOL REPUBLICANS ARE FUCKING RETARDED"

    "LUL I KNOW! THEY ALL WORSHIP A ZOMBIE AND BELIEVE MAN WALKED WITH DINOSAURS!"

    "HAHA OH MAN..RED NECKS...SHOULD ALL BE KILLED IF YOU ASK ME"

    "TOTALLY"

    "hey, uh guys not all people that have republicans values are-"

    "STFU RACIST!"

    "YEAH GO DEER HUNT OR SOMETHING!"

    "MAN WE'RE FUCKING OPEN MINDED AS FUCK!"

    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

    Dude, I go to the xwalk forums all the time. It's a Christian forum and pretty much completely populated by Republican base voters.

    The Republican party is a goddamn wreck. It's basically got a few moderates who haven't figured out how bad the other 80-90% of the party is yet, and... them. The ignorant teabaggers and Glenn Beck devotees and the nutty Christian right.

    No reasonable person should vote Republican.

    Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I have to add that coming of age politically just as Bush stole the 2000 election probably made my view of Republicans dimmer than it otherwise may have been. The ensuing eight years of hell didn't help either.

    Kanamit on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »

    When the premise of your argument is:
    Why was no one ever arrested for threatening President Bush at protests, when they displayed signs in public that called for his death?

    and the only evidence that something different is happening under the Obama administration is the supposition that someone who protested and called for Obamas death MIGHT be charged. And the link doesn't even point to anything... well. Its hard to take it as a credible argument.

    Wasn't someone arrested for wearing a T-Shirt critical of the wars at one of President Bush's town hall meetings? Meanwhile you have people with automatic rifles along the caravan route for Obama who aren't Secret Service/SWAT, and they manage to get interviewed as vox populi.

    One of the comments from that blog said there was a news story about a Bush protester that had a sign like the mans in that story was deported back to Germany. That may have been it.

    Moniker, I meant the people holding signs saying Kill Bush, he's a terrorist, etc. I think anyone that wants to kill the president is batshit insane.

    A lot of people here, such as El Jeffe off the top of my head, consider themselves conservative but have sided with the Democrats for the time being at least because the antics and behaviour of the Republican party have currently been less about giving legitimate opposing points of view and more about smear campaigns and beating the other team.

    What I see in American politics are a lot of people going for their side because... its their side. It has more parallels to going for your home football team than viewing what each side has to offer you and the country, and making a choice. When you closely examine what both parties stand for these days, given what you've written down I'm sure you'd empathise with the current Democratic point of view than the current Republican point of view.

    Do you see what I'm trying to say? :)

    theSquid on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I know most of the people at this forum are hardcore lefty

    You're really going to have to explain how you reached this conclusion, because by all available evidence, it's not.

    My bad, "hefty quantity?"

    No, not that either.

    You're problem seems to be one of lacking perspective. You're thinking that since we're not right, we're left. There's a reason why it's called a 'political spectrum' and not a 'political dichotomy.' There are very, very few 'hard-core' lefties active around here, a fact you would have realized if you'd taken the time to look around, instead of deciding that since we're not 'right' we're all 'hardcore left' and then making a big strawman of, 'and you guys are like this!'

    Part of the problem is that the goal posts have been moved unbelievably far to the right within the last few months. I consider myself a centrist that leans left, but by today's standards I guess I'd be a full blown liberal. What may have been considered moderate, or even right leaning, a year ago is considered leftist these days.
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of batshit insane Liberals. I'm sure this link has been seen, but whatever.

    http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/?p=621

    I'm not really sure I get your point by posting this. If it's only to point out that there are crazy people on both sides of the political spectrum, then that's nothing new. They're often referred to as "the fringe." The difference between people like the ones in those pictures and the ones we're seeing now is that, during the Bush years, those people were kept on the fringe. They were called out as such and kept where they belonged. The ones we're seeing now, those decrying Obama as a socialist/Nazi/Muslim/fascist/racist/whatever, those toting guns to protests, the birthers, etc have not been called out as such and promptly ignored. Instead, the fringe has pretty much been mainstreamed with welcome arms into everyday political discourse and is being pandered to by this thread's subject of ridicule. For me personally it's frustrating as hell to see political debate dissolve into what it's become. The right fights dirty as hell by appealing to FUD with stories that range from distortions of the truth to flat out lies, and people are eating it up and demanding more. This cheapens and dumbs down debate and discourse and prevents shit from getting done (see: health reform). So if I personally come off as "elitist" or as an asshole or whatever, it's because I have no patience for it, and I'm sick of seeing and having to put up with this incredibly moronic bullshit.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.