As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HAT] Thread

thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
You're never fully dressed without a smile... but we know the truth...

Seriously. What happened here? Up until the mid sixties (I think) it seemed like every classy lady or gent was sure to be rocking a cap of sorts... then something terrible happened. We stopped wearing hats.

Now I happen to look damn fine in a trilby but there are plenty of other hats... the homburg, the panama, the fedora... the list goes on...

So I pose two questions... who dropped the classy ball? Where did our hats go?

Also, whats your favorite hat D&D?

#someshit
thisisntwally on

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't look very good in any hat other than the pull over toboggan type. And it has to be the kind that fits perfectly to the skull.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I mean LOOK AT THIS GUY.

total class

Rosenberg_-_Selfportrait.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, my head has a rather large circumference, so I have a hard time finding hats in the store that I actually like.

Some day I will need to find a hat maker and have him craft up a couple winners for me.

I would love to own a fedora, but never found one that fits the planetoid.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2009
    I don't look very good in any hat other than the pull over toboggan type. And it has to be the kind that fits perfectly to the skull.

have you tried one of these?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a gigantic head, so really the only time I wear a hat is when it's cold outside.

But I also have a tendency to lose them. And am a stingy bastard. So now I go without.

TL DR on
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love my brown fedora but I don't wear it much lately. I see the fedora and think back to a classier time.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited October 2009
    I have a gigantic head, so really the only time I wear a hat is when it's cold outside.

But I also have a tendency to lose them. And am a stingy bastard. So now I go without.

have you checked out the hat store downtown? I'm sure duder could hook you up...

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a hat store in Utrecht, I've been browsing hats there a few times, but the prices are pretty scary and considering no one else ever wears hats except for hipsters I'd be drawing so much attention to me that I might just feel silly.

Aldo on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Subtle, Wally. Real subtle.

I wear a sports cap everywhere I go. Whether it be the Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox or Yankees Hater hat, I don't leave the house without one. I feel weird having the top of my head exposed. Don't know why.

JustinSane07 on
    edited October 2009

have you tried one of these?

Dude. No. It looks like cosplay.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Rosenberg_-_Selfportrait.jpg

That whole "hand inside your coat/jacket" was also an immensely popular fashion statement back in the days. Nowadays it just makes you look like a tool. :P

429px-PinkertonLincolnMcClernand.jpg

Echo on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Problem with hats: people currently wearing hats.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited October 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    There's a hat store in Utrecht, I've been browsing hats there a few times, but the prices are pretty scary and considering no one else ever wears hats except for hipsters I'd be drawing so much attention to me that I might just feel silly.

see this is the problem. you can't wear a hat these days without people assuming an ironic statement.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    's my point exactly.

I ain't no fruity hipster.

Aldo on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah I mean a lot of people wear hats terrible so i've decided to forgo the venture all together. Unless it's like really really winter and I need to avoid hypothermia.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    Elki wrote: »

YES. but the decline of the hat started before rock and roll went all sucky.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [hat] thread looks a lot like [chat] thread. I was sad. :(

In any case, I used to wear baseball caps all the time in high school. Now, I usually like things on my head.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    fedoras are terrible

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    [hat] thread looks a lot like [chat] thread. I was sad. :(

In any case, I used to wear baseball caps all the time in high school. Now, I usually like things on my head.

*whistle of nonchalance...

09_so_fine_hat-p148389892318668522tdto_210.jpg

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited October 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    fedoras are terrible

Your face is terrible. :P

In all seriousness how many iconic characters have rocked the fedora? Dick Tracy, Indiana Jones, The Shadow to name just a few. Hell, as much as I hate to admit it, Michael Jackson actually looked pretty cool with the ferdora in his video.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    edited October 2009
    I don't know why, but I never really considered sports caps to be hats. Maybe because they don't go with anything approaching business casual unless you're RDJ.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't wear hats but when my hair gets long and pokes my eyes, I often wear an elastic black headband.

What I really, really want, though, is a circlet.
    1beast3.jpg

Qingu on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sports caps are more hats than visors. :)

My definition is if it's worn on the head, it's a hat.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2009
    the business hat. I want it back. IT IS UP TO OUR GENERATION TO DO SO.

i blame the baby boomers and gen x for being lame as shit, so far as hats are concerned.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now I happen to look damn fine in a trilby

It's more than likely that you do not. When you see a man in a hat, you generally see a cock. Hats should be cool, but they simply are not.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Now I happen to look damn fine in a trilby

It's more than likely that you do not. When you see a man in a hat, you generally see a cock. Hats should be cool, but they simply are not.

Well I haven't worn one since the recent hipster resurgence. But they are in my closet... waiting.

I do indeed look damn fine, but you are correct. of late the connotations surrounding the hat is damn near impossible to overcome.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

i blame the baby boomers and gen x for being lame as shit, so far as hats are concerned.

I think dudes like JFK predate gen x by quite some time if we're going to point fingers.

desc on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What bothers me about hats is that:

1. You have to take them off sometimes.

2. They blow off, fall off, and you can lose them or forget where you put them.

3. If you have awesome hair, like me, they cover it up.

Perhaps it's not coincidence that the death of hat culture coincided with the rise of awesome rock and roll hair.

Qingu on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    fedoras are terrible

In all seriousness how many iconic characters have rocked the fedora? Dick Tracy, Indiana Jones, The Shadow to name just a few. Hell, as much as I hate to admit it, Michael Jackson actually looked pretty cool with the ferdora in his video.

how many neckbeards have rocked the fedora?

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2009

I think dudes like JFK predate gen x by quite some time if we're going to point fingers.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/jfkhat.asp

edit: so the demise of the hat is a little earlier than i said. that doesn't make it any less of a problem

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like hats

i have a fedora, and some beanies (like...the knitted stocking caps? are they called beanies? I heard they were)

I also have a rare-ly used golfing hat

and the scribblenauts hat

Arch on
    edited October 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    fedoras are terrible

how many neckbeards have rocked the fedora?

Apparantly not many since I don't consider it a hat rocked out by many neckbeards.

Gonmun on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unless you're a detective from the '50s, you should not have a fedora.

TL DR on
    edited October 2009
    Hipsters aside, old hats' biggest two enemies: superior winter options, and sunglasses.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    8992p.jpg

This man would like to pimp slap you.

JustinSane07 on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a fedora it got ruined sadly. I wore it as part of my suit, and man I looked swanky. I also have my baseball caps mostly Cardinals. I also have one of those hats that are worn by like paper boys. It looks decent. I have a high hair line now so I don't mind hiding it with a hat.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited October 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I had a fedora it got ruined sadly. I wore it as part of my suit, and man I looked swanky. I also have my baseball caps mostly Cardinals. I also have one of those hats that are worn by like paper boys. It looks decent. I have a high hair line now so I don't mind hiding it with a hat.

the paperboy hats are definitely awesome, but have a strong working class association. As such, I think if you were to wear one to the office you would risk marginalizing your image.

Or looking too irish.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

the paperboy hats are definitely awesome, but have a strong working class association. As such, I think if you were to wear one to the office you would risk marginalizing your image.

Or looking too irish.

Are you talking about flatcaps?

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited October 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Or looking too irish.

Are you talking about flatcaps?

ah. apparently I am.

these:
    Cashmere_Flat_Cap_Beige_Check.JPG

I guess a paper boy cap is different? Is that also called a newsie cap?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited October 2009
    Unless you're an old man from Yorkshire or Lancashire, then you can't really get away with a flatcap. SLJ is the exception.

Mojo_Jojo on