As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overheating CPU

TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
Hey all.

So I recently finally managed to get my computer up and running, after having spent a month trying to build it, and I"ve discovered that my CPU is running at 59 degrees celsius at cold , and 75 degrees when doing a few downloads/running steam/music. This seems to be WAY too hot as the computer will just shut down once it hits 80. The build has a ton of fans in it, (2 in the case, 1 for CPU, one for video card, and one on power supply), and the motherboard temp stays around 40degrees C.

I believe the problem is the thermal glue/CPU glue between the CPU and heatsink, as I had to use multiple motehrboards to get this build working, and one of the previous boards did manage to get the CPU fan turning. I've read that if that happens, the glue changes and is no longer valid. I'm assuming I need to go out and buy some, and apply a new layer to heat sink/CPU.

Consequently I need advice: What's a good thermal glue to use? How exactly to I remove the old glue/do I have to?/How do I apply it?

If you guys think that there may be a more obvious solution let me know. FYI with the cast open, the comp idles at 58/59C.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
FFXIV: Tchel Fay
Nintendo ID: Tortalius
Steam: Tortalius
Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
Tcheldor on

• Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You used the same thermal paste more than once? You're supposed to clean it off with rubbing alcohol and apply new paste every time you remove the heatsink. Arctic Silver 5 should do the trick.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The computer never actually functioned before, but the fact that it sort of turned on once I think was enough to set the thermal past off.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    some thermal compounds have a curing process and others don't, in any case you should clean it off and apply new compound

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The arctic silver looks simple enough to use. Is there anything I should know about cleaning off the CPU/applying the material? I'm deathly afraid of breaking my CPU.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    While it's recommended, assuming you correctly applied the paste the first time and did not remove the past on the heatsink/cpu while switching mobos, I really doubt that is the issue. It should not have that big of an effect.

Sounds more like a faulty fan on the heatsink as you were having issues with it before. Have you tried replacing it?

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    by the sounds of it he installed the HSF assembly, ran it, then removed it, then installed it again at least a couple times without ever replacing the thermal interface material.

Sure it's possible the fan has failed, but what's more likely is the thermal paste needs to be replaced.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The fan functions and rotates at proper speed. I'm replacing the thermal paste, as Azio is correct in what happened.

I just used some High % rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal paste. How long should i let it dry before adding the new thermal paste?

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alcohol dries fast, having gone to make that post it's already good to go. :^:

When applying paste, you want to cover the die, a couple dabs will do you. Don't want it thick, just enough for coverage. Use a blade or some straight edge to smooth it out nice.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png