As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about rape culture.

• logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    logic7 wrote: »
    but if he wouldn't have minded that coming from a supermodel, wouldn't the defense have a leg to stand on?

"Well... he's only crying rape because he finds the defendant unattractive".

If he "wouldn't have minded it" from a different woman, then it would have been consensual.

but he didn't consent to it from that specific woman (the unattractive one), thus making it rape, right?

logic7 on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    adytum wrote: »
    Does any of that matter, according to you? Nope, it could still all be rape, because they felt pressured by society and the "rape culture" and I could go to jail for the rest of my life.

It could be. But it's not. How is this difficult? Just because something might be the case doesn't mean it is or must be.

Please take a look at the matrix of possibilities in the previous post and note that the conclusion is NOT "all sex is rape," but rather "it is impossible to ever really know whether sex is rape."

and please note that although it's impossible to really know, it's quite possible to have an excellent idea, which is why you are probably not a rapist, and i'm probably not a rapist.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    just to show that this isn't exactly applicable as a two way street:

(and this happens all the time, take it from my two weeks worth of experience as a stripper)

Male stripper is at work.
    Male stripper is naked giving women lap dances, some are hot, some are utterly repulsive.
    One utterly repulsive woman grabs his dick and shoves it in her mouth.

was he raped?

Yes.

She could be a supermodel, too.

but if he wouldn't have minded that coming from a supermodel, wouldn't the defense have a leg to stand on?

In which case, would this apply to female strippes in the same way? (my answer is "no", all unconsentual contact between a female stripper and a "customer" is akin to rape)

It's still rape in both scenarios, no matter the sex of the victim.

This isn't fucking rocket science.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think maybe you just secretly hate sex and want all sex to be classified as rape so the robots can take over.

I am the secret acolyte of _J_, yes.

Incenjucar on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    And wow, it really is amazing how many guys are holding on to the notion that women are witholding frigid bitches who need to be pushed into putting out. And they're all in here, looking for societal permission to coerce and bully their way into sex should some woman ever have the nerve to not be especially interested in having sex with them specifically.

Pathetic.

Yes and also deliberately failing to recognize that the myth of man as aggressor and woman as passive vessel is a cornerstone of rape culture with these same pleas for validation.

Japan = Rape culture. Not that they try and cover their tracks over there.

mrt144 on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Policeman: "Ma'am, we found traces of your ejacualtory lubricating fluid all over the covers of the bed and on the mans crotch, with no traces of blood or of any damage to your vagina from forced entry. We have a tape of you telling him you wanted him to... *cough* "Oh yeah you sexy"... *aghem* "fucker".... <.< >.> ... "cum inside my dirty little pussy, I love you and your big dick fuck me now please".... *phew* whilst you masturbated his member. You then had sex with him, going on top whilst his hands were handcuffed to the bed and his feet tied together. You seem to be orgasming at one point in the movie... but I had to get a physician to tell me that because I'll be damned if I know what that looks like hehehehe...he...he.... *aghem*. Problem is: you're now saying you didn't want to have sex with him at all and that he scared you even though he is smaller than you and you're a trained martial artist according to this?"

Woman: "Well, I wanted to have sex with him at the time.... sort of... but I had a little to drink and my standards dropped and now I really don't want to have had sex with him and don't think I actually wanted to at the time"

Jury: "RAPIST, FRY THE BASTARD"

If a woman says no... IN ANY WAY... then of course it's rape. Even if you're dating the girl and she says no: STILL RAPE.

If she says yes at the time though, and seems fully compliant and happy, then it can only be rape if some form of aggressive coercion has taken place. I think just be fucking sure before you have sex with someone, and just generally don't be a douche about it. Oh yeah, and peeing on girls and doing nasty shit like that, is sexual assault and I've met a couple of guys who've said they did that and if you ever got caught doing that shit you should be put in a fucking dumpster, naked and beaten.

Johannen on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And wow, it really is amazing how many guys are holding on to the notion that women are witholding frigid bitches who need to be pushed into putting out. And they're all in here, looking for societal permission to coerce and bully their way into sex should some woman ever have the nerve to not be especially interested in having sex with them specifically.

Pathetic.

Yes and also deliberately failing to recognize that the myth of man as aggressor and woman as passive vessel is a cornerstone of rape culture with these same pleas for validation.

You mean like the post I made earlier in this thread, and which you promptly ignored?

Leitner on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

If he "wouldn't have minded it" from a different woman, then it would have been consensual.

but he didn't consent to it from that specific woman (the unattractive one), thus making it rape, right?

In your scenario, yes.

That said, I don't know enough about male strippers to know how commonplace your scenario is, if it happens at all.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited October 2009

Yes, that he didn't consent to the unattractive woman makes it rape.

No consent = rape.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think maybe you just secretly hate sex and want all sex to be classified as rape so the robots can take over.

If you read the rest of his reply, it's pretty clear that PN is being sarcastic.

Fencingsax on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    Policeman: "Ma'am, we found traces of your ejacualtory lubricating fluid all over the covers of the bed and on the mans crotch, with no traces of blood or of any damage to your vagina from forced entry. We have a tape of you telling him you wanted him to... *cough* "Oh yeah you sexy"... *aghem* "fucker".... <.< >.> ... "cum inside my dirty little pussy, I love you and your big dick fuck me now please".... *phew* whilst you masturbated his member. You then had sex with him, going on top whilst his hands were handcuffed to the bed and his feet tied together. You seem to be orgasming at one point in the movie... but I had to get a physician to tell me that because I'll be damned if I know what that looks like hehehehe...he...he.... *aghem*. Problem is: you're now saying you didn't want to have sex with him at all and that he scared you even though he is smaller than you and you're a trained martial artist according to this?"

Woman: "Well, I wanted to have sex with him at the time.... sort of... but I had a little to drink and my standards dropped and now I really don't want to have had sex with him and don't think I actually wanted to at the time"

what a wonderful hypothetical scenario

i'm sure that happens way more often than the exact opposite, where a woman claims she didn't give consent and a man claims she did, and the jury lets the guy off because, i mean, what a slut, right?

Evil Multifarious on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Macera wrote: »

Pathetic.

I suspect alts.

God, I hope so, because by spouting this nonsense in a public arena all they're doing is adding to the long list of reasons women are often leery of men. They're fucking it up for all of us.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mrt144 wrote: »

Pathetic.

Okay, Japan is definitely not the only place that has fucked up societal views about sex.

Fencingsax on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    EDIT

Not worth it.

Sheep on
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If you read the rest of his reply, it's pretty clear that PN is being sarcastic.

Yes, and I suggested that I follow _J_

:P

Incenjucar on
  • lenore beadsmanlenore beadsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So sorry, Leitner. Didn't see it, the thread is moving super fast. But yes. That myth and also the myth that men can't be raped and women can't rape are crucial to establishing and perpetuating rape culture, but it seems that everyone is eager to deny the existence of the latter so hooray.

lenore beadsman on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009

Pathetic.

Okay, Japan is definitely not the only place that has fucked up societal views about sex.

Pretty much all eastern Asian society has pretty fucked up sexual views, Japan's just the only one with modems.

Edit: And it's way beyond just sex too. Misogyny is pretty much ingrained into most of their culture.

Aroduc on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Dude you've got some really weird fantasies but there are communities out there for people like you. Maybe you should post them there?

(seriously, you're a Brit. Your court system has one of the lowest conviction rates for sexual assaults in the western world)

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    There's a distinct difference between saying "by wearing that dress, she was asking for it" and saying "by verbally asking me for it, she was asking for it", and between those two lies a slippery slope.

In cases of purposeful rape there is ABSOLUTELY no one at fault other than the rapist. In cases of, for lack of a better term, "accidental rape", it becomes a bit trickier. If the "rapist" has no idea that he is carrying out a crime, whereas the other individual DOES know that a crime is occuring, but is witholding that information, then how do you place full fault on the "accidental rapist"?

because a woman being raped is not an academy award winning actress. she is suffering, she is scared, she is in pain; any false consent will be visibly false consent if you care about the person you're having sex with.

the problem is that a rape culture is one where people have difficulty seeing that there is no consent, or don't believe that the situation exists. the "accidental rapist" has harmed the victim, and is a danger to other potential victims - why shouldn't there be repercussions?

I could list a bunch of scenarios where one could easily miss a lack of consent (after previous consent being given), but it would be a waste of time. The point is, we have already accepted that a woman could could give complete verbal consent, and even so it could actually be rape.

I never said that there should be no repercussions to the "accidental rapist", what I said is that I have trouble with the idea that the woman has no responsibility to say "no" or "please stop" in a situation where there is no apparent danger to her for doing so in order to be considered completely innocent herself. (Obviously if the man is known to be violent, this is a different situation.)

Frankly, I find the entire insinuation to be a bit sexist. It treats women as helpless damsels who cannot actually speak up for themselves and consent on their own. Rather, it actually takes away a woman's power of consent, saying that she can only ACTUALLY consent if a man confirms her consent.

Evander on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Pathetic.

No, what goes on in Congo and Sierra Leone and the like is a rape culture. Japan are just perves.

Sheep on
    edited October 2009
    why does it matter whether the women in this male stripper story are supermodels or not?

oh right because women's bodies are public property worth remarking on at every opportunity i can't believe i managed to forget that for a second

oh wait i didn't forget it, i can't forget that ever, because i live in a cage (hint: this may have something to do with the topic of the thread in case a gentle reader can't pick up on this)

lenore beadsman on
  • Smooth AlternateSmooth Alternate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Is it possible to rape a spouse? Or is there already implied consent?

Can anyone cite such a court case?

Smooth Alternate on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

Pathetic.

No, what goes on in Congo and Sierra Leone and the like is a rape culture. Japan are just perves.

Uh, Japan has at least one software company that specializes in producing, I don't what to call them, all about raping women and then avoiding the legal system.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
    edited October 2009
    Frankly, I find the entire insinuation to be a bit sexist. It treats women as helpless damsels who cannot actually speak up for themselves and consent on their own. Rather, it actually takes away a woman's power of consent, saying that she can only ACTUALLY consent if a man confirms her consent.

"Women" are not helpless damsels.

Some people, be they damsels or dudes, are helpless.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Pretty much all eastern Asian society has pretty fucked up sexual views, Japan's just the only one with modems.

Edit: And it's way beyond just sex too. Misogyny is pretty much ingrained into most of their culture.

haha yeah it's just japan definitely couldn't happen here in the good old u s of a, right? what? how is misogyny not ingrained in our culture? How are misogyny and sex unrelated?

lenore beadsman on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2009

You're kidding, right?

Aroduc on
    edited October 2009

Pathetic.

It's not just a societal view, it's part of a matter of sexual etiquette over there. I read a hilarious blog by a woman that moved to Japan and was shocked, shocked that Japanese men couldn't handle her sexually outgoing nature in bed. It was against everything the men had understood about sexual engagement, yet it was strictly in relation to the sex. Also, shower pre sex is part of the ritual and in a way is asking if one wants to have sex, something that the writer didn't realize at first and which is hilarious considering the way we go about things in the states.

Japan isn't the only place that has issues, it's the one nerds are the biggest apologists for, cause heaven forbid Japan isn't Utopia.

mrt144 on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Pathetic.

The problem is that people on both sides are blurring the lines between "making the first move" and "pressuring women." I guess it's an inherently blurry line, given how weak-willed some people are - leaning in for a kiss on the second date isn't unreasonable, but I'm sure it's caused some people to be "coerced" into kissing someone they didn't particularly want to.

Doc on
    edited October 2009

o_O

Yes, you can rape a spouse. Though for many many years it was legal to do so.

Incenjucar on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a distinct difference between saying "by wearing that dress, she was asking for it" and saying "by verbally asking me for it, she was asking for it", and between those two lies a slippery slope.

In cases of purposeful rape there is ABSOLUTELY no one at fault other than the rapist. In cases of, for lack of a better term, "accidental rape", it becomes a bit trickier. If the "rapist" has no idea that he is carrying out a crime, whereas the other individual DOES know that a crime is occuring, but is witholding that information, then how do you place full fault on the "accidental rapist"?

because a woman being raped is not an academy award winning actress. she is suffering, she is scared, she is in pain; any false consent will be visibly false consent if you care about the person you're having sex with.

the problem is that a rape culture is one where people have difficulty seeing that there is no consent, or don't believe that the situation exists. the "accidental rapist" has harmed the victim, and is a danger to other potential victims - why shouldn't there be repercussions?

I get the feeling that this, particularly, is not something you're going to find a black and white answer for. It will almost certainly be incredibly dependent on the conditions of the situation as to whether or not the "accidental rapist" can be held accountable or if no one can be held accountable for what was a case of terrible miss-communication.

For instance, what if the rapist is autistic, or has some other fundamental misunderstanding about human emotions and intentions? If the victim is giving false consent the "accidental rapist" may not be capable of identifying that it is indeed false.

Does this necessarily mean that this person is altogether a danger to society and should be institutionalized? Perhaps. But like I said it seems highly situational.

Winky on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

In your scenario, yes.

That said, I don't know enough about male strippers to know how commonplace your scenario is, if it happens at all.

try to find videos on it. I know they're out there on the net 'cause I've seen 'em, but I ain't posting it at all 'cause I'll prolly get booted from the site.

Just google "male strip club" and you'll probably find some. As I said, I worked as a stripper for two weeks when I was 19 (the age I had to be to do it in Windsor, Ontario 'cause that's the legal drinking age). I saw it happen, it happened to me, you just shrug it off and keep it moving, collecting your tips and joke about it in the locker/dressing room.

logic7 on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I really, really hope you're only asking whether someone could be charged with a crime for raping their spouse, not whether or not "it's possible".

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Are you seriously suggesting that someone is obligated to make their body available for the satisfaction of their spouse at all times

japan on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

what a wonderful hypothetical scenario

i'm sure that happens way more often than the exact opposite, where a woman claims she didn't give consent and a man claims she did, and the jury lets the guy off because, i mean, what a slut, right?

Nah, I was giving an extreme hypothetical scenario because it seems to be what everyone is doing in here.

There's leniancy (spel?) given to rapists here though I think, depending on how the girl was dressed, how she acted, and how inebriated she was. Which is fucking disgusting, rape is rape, and the guy should get put away just the same as anyone.

There was a case of a stripper in the UK though, where a guy filmed it on his phone so the truth came out. Basically, she slept with one of the guys, even though she had a boyfriend. She obviously told the boyfriend and he got mad so she said she was raped and took the guy to court. Then, the video was shown of her very clearly consenting with no real pressure, her instigating. She then admitted to doing it consentingly after all this.

Rape is rape, if you can't tell whether you're raping someone or not then get this.... YOU ARE.

Johannen on
    edited October 2009

You're kidding, right?

Note his name is Smooth Alternate.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited October 2009

Of course it is possible to rape a spouse unless of course you are Phyllis Schlafly, who said "By getting married, the woman has consented to sex, and I don't think you can call it rape" because she is a terrible person.

But no marital rape is now a crime thank god.

lenore beadsman on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

"Women" are not helpless damsels.

Some people, be they damsels or dudes, are helpless.

Our society definitely treats women as though they are helpless, and encourages women to behave helpless even when they are not.

Evander on
    edited October 2009

http://law.jrank.org/pages/13228/Oregon-v-Rideout.html

Spousal rape is rape, just done by someone you had a marital vow with. And if rape doesn't invalidate that, I don't know what does?

mrt144 on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So sorry, Leitner. Didn't see it, the thread is moving super fast. But yes. That myth and also the myth that men can't be raped and women can't rape are crucial to establishing and perpetuating rape culture, but it seems that everyone is eager to deny the existence of the latter so hooray.
    Sorry, I was being overly antagonistic. This thread's been moving fast, I'm sure you just missed it.

It's just everyone in this thread is perpetuating this exact myth (count how many non-male on female examples have been used, or the frequent references to rape being unconsented penetration), and portraying rape as a solely feminist issue. It's not; it disproportionately hits women (by a significant degree) for sure, but by challenging it along these lines we couch it in certain terms which are damaging.

And also, the challenging of the way people dress being a part of rape culture earlier? Squicky as hell, that kind of thinking leads to the burka.

Leitner on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

You're kidding, right?

Note his name is Smooth Alternate.

Oh god damnit, got trolled again.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.