As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

1222325272860

Posts

  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scalia said even his 2001 decision outlawing the use of "thermal imaging'' equipment to let police peer through walls to see activity inside a house did not require him to use an evolutionary approach to the Constitution, even though such equipment did not exist in the 18th century.
    These seem like solid legal opinions based on a solid legal philosophy.
    No, it actually isn't. And while I appreciate the result and the law he created when he wrote that opinion, it is not a hard and fast rule. Basically, when civilians can buy FLIR cameras it will no longer unreasonable to expect that the police can conduct a "search" using them. That's a ridiculous standard.

    I disagree. The definition of what is normal and allowed for technology must evolve to be in line with common usage. When it is common for regular people to be using them, I definitely think that the police should be allowed to use it. Eventually one day, you'll be able to whip out your camera phone, turn on the filter, and see right into houses to look at who's home. Technology has advanced beyond our humanity's wildest dreams in the last 50 years, and it'll make a bigger leap in the next 50. Maybe we'll invent technology that can unerringly determine if someone is lying or not. It'd be horrific if police used it now, but if it's so commonplace that you're using it to find out if your child stole a cookie from the cookie jar or a girl has a crush on you, then it would be idiotic to ban it from police. Police depriving people of internet access while in custody in 1990? Acceptable. Police depriving people of internet access when we've all got internal wifi in our brains, and the only way to contact a lawyer (or download a law education into your brain Matrix style) is through your modem? Unacceptable.

    Technology evolves. Social expectations evolve with it. We cannot predict the path that technological and societal evolution will take; we can only wait until it happens, and judge it by the common sense standards of the day.

    zerg rush on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's real, Jeffe. Here's a direct link to the <bork>PDF.</bork> It's hosted by a site called The O'Leary Report. Which belongs to the guy who wrote Shut Up, America! The End of Free Speech and The Audacity of Deceit: Barack Obama's War On American Values. I can mirror that though if no one wants to give that site traffic. 'Cause damn, that site does not need any visitors.

    [ed] Mirror'd. I removed the link to the original PDF on olearyreport.com. I'm mean like that.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ugh, why the fuck is Lieberman still in the Democratic caucus? They should have tossed his ass after the theatrics he pulled during last year's election.

    This is more my problem, but there is something about Lieberman that I have never, ever liked. He always struck me as that kid at the party that no one wanted to show up, but he did anyway because the party was an open invite to everyone in the class. I really don't know what Connecticut sees in him.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's number 60, unfortunately that means he is free from a certain amount of consequence for his actions.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, worst mistake Gore ever made was making Liberman VP candidate in 2000. It let the guy see himself as the elder statesman without having to do anything to earn it. Guy see himself so above politics that he isn't really a dem anymore. Like not even a DINO, more like "I will go where my statesmanship is blown by the wind".

    He is the Dems Sarah Palin.

    Kipling217 on
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is probably right regarding Lieberman. I used to think that McCain had the biggest ego in the Senate, but clearly he is a distant second.

    Kanamit on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    McCain doesn't have an ego problem!

    emnmnme on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    This is probably right regarding Lieberman. I used to think that McCain had the biggest ego in the Senate, but clearly he is a distant second.

    Specifically,
    What Joe Lieberman wants, in all probability, is attention.

    This statement sums up my view of his political career (nay, existence) completely. The stunts he constantly pulls scream of attention whore behavior.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    He's number 60, unfortunately that means he is free from a certain amount of consequence for his actions.

    Yeah, except that he isn't. Every time it counts, he's not there. What use is a 60th that never actually acts as the 60th?

    Raynaga on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    He's number 60, unfortunately that means he is free from a certain amount of consequence for his actions.

    Yeah, except that he isn't. Every time it counts, he's not there. What use is a 60th that never actually acts as the 60th?

    When have we ever got there? All the big important votes so far have had one or two R's in on them.

    Having that sixty number gives R defectors some cover in that it's going to pass anyways so if they need to make the vote for it for their particular state they can without being too badly tarred for it. (At least among the reasonable members of their party, diminishing as they are.)

    Now if Joe actually stalls out Health Care either by actually not voting for final cloture or giving other D's enough cover to not do it then he needs to be called to account. So long as it's all posturing and demanding his time in the limelight....well it sucks but it's politics.

    Either way I'd love to see his ass kicked out of office but he's the senator we have so we need to deal with him to get what needs to be done.

    DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So now that the Obama kids have got their shots, has the conservative topic of choice gone from "He's not vaccinating his kids! There's somethign wrong with the vaccine!" to "He used his influence to horde vital and scarce vaccine for his own kids instead of letting it go to kids of good, blue collar'd real americans!" yet?

    Undead Scottsman on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So now that the Obama kids have got their shots, has the conservative topic of choice gone from "He's not vaccinating his kids! There's somethign wrong with the vaccine!" to "He used his influence to horde vital and scarce vaccine for his own kids instead of letting it go to kids of good, blue collar'd real americans!" yet?

    I would go to freerepublic to look, but I'm afraid my brain would punch me in the testicles if I did.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    This is probably right regarding Lieberman. I used to think that McCain had the biggest ego in the Senate, but clearly he is a distant second.

    Specifically,
    What Joe Lieberman wants, in all probability, is attention.

    This statement sums up my view of his political career (nay, existence) completely. The stunts he constantly pulls scream of attention whore behavior.

    Dude, the second Lieberman lost the Democratic primary in CT and went all, "I understand that you still want me to run, you were just confused." I began to actively dislike him. If Ned Lamont runs again, he can count on me knocking on doors and putting up signs.

    Not saying I hate the man, but I would not shake his hand and then I would tell him why.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Moniker has already mentioned it: Scalia is only consistent with his theory regarding constitutional law when it doesn't go against his preconceived notions and preferences. He has zero, and I mean ZERO problem looking the other way from his vaunted originalism if it results in a ruling he prefers.

    In regards to Lieberman: I am so mad right now I am spitting. If this stunt of his doesn't have Rahm Emmanuel calling Lieberman up and threatening to cut his balls off and feed them to Obama's dog I will have lost a great deal of respect for the Obama administration. Gibbs statement earlier today regarding Democrats and Republicans facing their constituents does give me hope that we are going down that path.

    DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    This is probably right regarding Lieberman. I used to think that McCain had the biggest ego in the Senate, but clearly he is a distant second.

    Specifically,
    What Joe Lieberman wants, in all probability, is attention.

    This statement sums up my view of his political career (nay, existence) completely. The stunts he constantly pulls scream of attention whore behavior.

    Dude, the second Lieberman lost the Democratic primary in CT and went all, "I understand that you still want me to run, you were just confused." I began to actively dislike him. If Ned Lamont runs again, he can count on me knocking on doors and putting up signs.

    Not saying I hate the man, but I would not shake his hand and then I would tell him why.

    His being in favour of censorship, and particularly targeted at vidyagames, pissed me off towards him long ago. He's just been working damn hard to prove I was right initially.

    moniker on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, the Governator still counts as GOP, right?

    Because I think he's lacking some tact.

    1027arnold.jpg

    Don't see it?
    Read the first letter of each line.

    (link to the PDF on the gov.ca.gov website)

    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To the members of the California State Assembly: I fuck you. hmm... interesting message there.

    Pi-r8 on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I didn't believe it until I went to the site, and there it was.

    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    To the members of the California State Assembly: I fuck you. hmm... interesting message there.
    English isn't his native language!

    SithDrummer on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah that pretty much sums up Ahnold's tenure as Governor. Just replace "California State Assembly" with "State of California."

    Kanamit on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Top 15 Lieberman Betrayals: Joe's Worst Double-Crosses

    This. Things like these, among many other reasons, are why I hate him (can't believe I forgot the video game thing). I don't know the term, but my intense hatred for him is akin to a phobia. Except instead of fear I feel hate. Seriously, fuck him and I hope he gets the biggest political shaft ever if he screws the country over on health reform.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.

    MKR on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh come on. That's pretty awesome, and a great way to go out.

    Fencingsax on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.
    Well if you don't think keeping the state running qualifies as useful, then sure.

    Kanamit on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hell, Ahnold is pretty much what the GOP should be aiming for if they want to become relevant again in this generation.

    A Kennedy Republican.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh come on. That's pretty awesome, and a great way to go out.

    So's fiddling.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Hell, Ahnold is pretty much what the GOP should be aiming for if they want to become relevant again in this generation.

    A Kennedy Republican.
    Yeah, that Governor with the terrible approval ratings and no power except to obstruct sure is what the GOP should be aiming for.

    Kanamit on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.
    Well if you don't think keeping the state running qualifies as useful, then sure.

    That depends on whether or not his statement is accurate. If the legislature isn't sending him actual bills relevant to running the state, he can't do his job.

    MKR on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh come on. That's pretty awesome, and a great way to go out.

    So's fiddling.

    Are you referring to the Governor or the Legislature here?

    moniker on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    Top 15 Lieberman Betrayals: Joe's Worst Double-Crosses

    This. Things like these, among many other reasons, are why I hate him (can't believe I forgot the video game thing). I don't know the term, but my intense hatred for him is akin to a phobia. Except instead of fear I feel hate. Seriously, fuck him and I hope he gets the biggest political shaft ever if he screws the country over on health reform.

    Someone needs to add Lieberman as a sufferer of Chronic Backstabbing Disorder.

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.
    Well if you don't think keeping the state running qualifies as useful, then sure.

    That depends on whether or not his statement is accurate. If the legislature isn't sending him actual bills relevant to running the state, he can't do his job.
    The guy has been vetoing or threatening to veto every single bill that has come to his desk for months now. I want prison reform as much as anyone, but just because the Senate won't pass it (which it would if Arnold had any influence in the legislature) doesn't give him a license to veto smaller, but just as necessary bills. Projects along the SF bay may not be as sexy as bigger bills, but collectively projects like those make the state run.

    This is grandstanding, plain and simple. And that's all he's done for the past six years.

    Kanamit on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Oh come on. That's pretty awesome, and a great way to go out.

    So's fiddling.

    Are you referring to the Governor or the Legislature here?

    The Governor. He's even got the sword to fall on right in his office!

    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Hell, Ahnold is pretty much what the GOP should be aiming for if they want to become relevant again in this generation.

    A Kennedy Republican.
    Yeah, that Governor with the terrible approval ratings and no power except to obstruct sure is what the GOP should be aiming for.
    He might suck as a governor, but he doesn't advertise horribly repulsive social policy as a reason to keep him around. The fact that he became governor with zero qualifications or experience isn't really a great model.

    OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

    They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So, the Governator still counts as GOP, right?

    Because I think he's lacking some tact.

    1027arnold.jpg

    Don't see it?
    Read the first letter of each line.

    (link to the PDF on the gov.ca.gov website)

    Oh my god.

    Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.
    Well if you don't think keeping the state running qualifies as useful, then sure.

    That depends on whether or not his statement is accurate. If the legislature isn't sending him actual bills relevant to running the state, he can't do his job.
    The guy has been vetoing or threatening to veto every single bill that has come to his desk for months now. I want prison reform as much as anyone, but just because the Senate won't pass it (which it would if Arnold had any influence in the legislature) doesn't give him a license to veto smaller, but just as necessary bills. Projects along the SF bay may not be as sexy as bigger bills, but collectively projects like those make the state run.

    This is grandstanding, plain and simple. And that's all he's done for the past six years.

    What is Assembly Bill 1176?

    moniker on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So, the Governator still counts as GOP, right?

    Because I think he's lacking some tact.

    1027arnold.jpg

    Don't see it?
    Read the first letter of each line.

    (link to the PDF on the gov.ca.gov website)

    Oh my god.

    I know. Isn't it great?

    Tomanta on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Kanamit wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    So the governator's letter is a good thing, right? Tact can go eat a butt if the legislature isn't sending him useful bills.
    Well if you don't think keeping the state running qualifies as useful, then sure.

    That depends on whether or not his statement is accurate. If the legislature isn't sending him actual bills relevant to running the state, he can't do his job.
    The guy has been vetoing or threatening to veto every single bill that has come to his desk for months now. I want prison reform as much as anyone, but just because the Senate won't pass it (which it would if Arnold had any influence in the legislature) doesn't give him a license to veto smaller, but just as necessary bills. Projects along the SF bay may not be as sexy as bigger bills, but collectively projects like those make the state run.

    This is grandstanding, plain and simple. And that's all he's done for the past six years.

    What is Assembly Bill 1176?
    Financing for projects along the SF waterfront. Notice how he doesn't attack the substance of the bill itself.

    It's actually illegal to horse trade like Arnold is attempting to do here IIRC. Not that anyone in the California State Government seems to care about the law anymore.

    Kanamit on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like Arnold to make a public push for a constitutional convention. For better or worse he's got the biggest bully pulpit in the state. And it would get him on the cover of TIME again I bet.

    Yougottawanna on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like Arnold to make a public push for a constitutional convention. For better or worse he's got the biggest bully pulpit in the state. And it would get him on the cover of TIME again I bet.
    No one cares what he thinks anymore. He can get on the cover of TIME again with much less effort by pushing a green energy bill and then vetoing it when it actually comes up for him to sign. Again.

    Kanamit on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lieberman came to the defense of John Hagee, the pastor who said “Hitler was a hunter” sent by God to get “the Jewish people” to “come back to the land of Israel.”
    So, at what point in his defense does he also claim that white people are Satan and Men are all pigs?

    I mean you already sold out Democrats and Jews, I figure you might wanna turn your back on EVERYTHING that you identified as.

    The Muffin Man on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    I'd like Arnold to make a public push for a constitutional convention. For better or worse he's got the biggest bully pulpit in the state. And it would get him on the cover of TIME again I bet.
    No one cares what he thinks anymore. He can get on the cover of TIME again with much less effort by pushing a green energy bill and then vetoing it when it actually comes up for him to sign. Again.

    I don't like Arnold that much, but to say "no one cares what he thinks anymore" isn't true IMO. If nothing else TIME seems to care what he thinks.

    Yougottawanna on
This discussion has been closed.