As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »
    I'd like Arnold to make a public push for a constitutional convention. For better or worse he's got the biggest bully pulpit in the state. And it would get him on the cover of TIME again I bet.
    No one cares what he thinks anymore. He can get on the cover of TIME again with much less effort by pushing a green energy bill and then vetoing it when it actually comes up for him to sign. Again.

I don't like Arnold that much, but to say "no one cares what he thinks anymore" isn't true IMO. If nothing else TIME seems to care what he thinks.

Again - no one who matters cares.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As they do in most cases, TIME started caring about a year too late.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like Arnold to make a public push for a constitutional convention. For better or worse he's got the biggest bully pulpit in the state. And it would get him on the cover of TIME again I bet.
    No one cares what he thinks anymore. He can get on the cover of TIME again with much less effort by pushing a green energy bill and then vetoing it when it actually comes up for him to sign. Again.

I don't like Arnold that much, but to say "no one cares what he thinks anymore" isn't true IMO. If nothing else TIME seems to care what he thinks.
    True, but who cares what TIME thinks?

He's overwhelmingly unpopular with Republicans, Independents, and Democrats. He has no influence in the lege. Him calling for a constitutional convention would get a lot of press sure, but it would have zero power.

Of course this all rests on the assumption that he wants constitutional reform, which I'm sure he doesn't.

Edit: Beaten.

Kanamit on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

True, but who cares what TIME thinks?

mirrorc.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Victorian wall furnishings?

moniker on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Victorian wall furnishings?

No.

YOU.

Hexmage-PA on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is that just a reference to the stupid TIME Man of the Year thing or does it imply that I care what TIME thinks?

Kanamit on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't live in California.

But, I think this is a pretty suave bit of politicking. I like it.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I dunno. I swear like a sailor, but I don't think that kind of discourse belongs in official government memos. I don't care what anyone says in their private life, or even if they tell a reporter to fuck off if they're being bothered off the clock, but I feel like they should be held to a higher standard when they're on the clock as public servants.

Edit: For the record, I thought Obama calling Kanye West a "jackass" was a bit unprofessional as well, and that wasn't even an official government thing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I dunno. I swear like a sailor, but I don't think that kind of discourse belongs in official government memos. I don't care what anyone says in their private life, or even if they tell a reporter to fuck off if they're being bothered off the clock, but I feel like they should be held to a higher standard when they're on the clock as public servants.

Edit: For the record, I thought Obama calling Kanye West a "jackass" was unprofessional as well, and that wasn't even an official government thing.

On the other hand, California Government is an absolute pit, and Kanye was acting like a jackass. Cheney telling the minority leader to go fuck himself is inappropriate, due to their opposing positions. But I think this was rather clever, and seriously, governors and Presidents are adult human beings. They say the F word sometimes.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Edit: For the record, I thought Obama calling Kanye West a "jackass" was unprofessional as well, and that wasn't even an official government thing.

On the other hand, California Government is an absolute pit, and Kanye was acting like a jackass. Cheney telling the minority leader to go fuck himself is inappropriate, due to their opposing positions. But I think this was rather clever, and seriously, governors and Presidents are adult human beings. They say the F word sometimes.

Yep, I definitely agree that both were accurate statements. And I'm not saying "rawr there oughta be a law to stop those pottymouths." It's just something that personally bothers me. I can't logically justify it or anything.

Raiden333 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I honestly don't even really get what the hubbub was about cheney's line. I mean make the Rs a little uncomfortable, fine, but were people really honestly offended by it?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I honestly don't even really get what the hubbub was about cheney's line. I mean make the Rs a little uncomfortable, fine, but were people really honestly offended by it?

Which offensive line by Cheney are we talking about here? There are so many to pick from.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

People don't swear in Washington. Pretending otherwise and then committing the sin of publishing such an outrageous falsehood is enough to give reporters there the vapors.

I wonder how many 'fucks' don't manage to make it into transcripts.

moniker on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    its just bad in politics because if everyone just threw expletives, that's all that would get said.

So basically it would be slightly more rational interparty discourse than we have right now

override367 on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    I mean do you guys in particular not sometimes just ya know...not stereotype? Seeing as you are doing what you claim republicans do.

And outside of social issues a lot of people are fairly middle of the road to conservative. Especially with regards to broader philosophical definitions. We'd most likely be considered left leaning Tories or similar. Plus you are confusing political parties with philosophy.

Ahh yeah, I am. My philosophy teacher said told me that before. Sorry.
    No, not that either.

You're problem seems to be one of lacking perspective. You're thinking that since we're not right, we're left. There's a reason why it's called a 'political spectrum' and not a 'political dichotomy.' There are very, very few 'hard-core' lefties active around here, a fact you would have realized if you'd taken the time to look around, instead of deciding that since we're not 'right' we're all 'hardcore left' and then making a big strawman of, 'and you guys are like this!'

I don't think so. At least that is not how I'm perceiving it in my mind. I didn't mean everyone at this forum. I wasn't specific, sorry. I meant Liberals and their views on republicans in general.

I kinda see where you're coming from, and you're waaay more polite than the usual right-leaning poster here, so I'll return the favor and not be a snarky dick

As a self-identified liberal, I am pissed at the republicans because, well, they cocked the whole country up

And now they're being obstructionist for purely political reasons

This is somewhat like if your little brother made a mess in the kitchen, you then tried to mop up the mess, and so your brother decided to make it impossible for you to get the mop because, in his opinion, "Mopping would never clean it up". He also has no personal opinion on how to clean the mess up besides "Your way won't work". So you call him a little dick for making it intentionally difficult for you to clean up his mess, and he whines and starts crying you and accuses you of both causing the mess in the first place and beating the shit out of him for the mop to your parents. You respond, "But no! All I did was call him a dick! And it was totally his mess in the first place!". Even though all evidence supports the claim that yes, it was your brother's fault for the mess, and there's no bruising or anything, in the interests of 'impartiality' your parents punish no one at all. Meanwhile, this mess isn't getting cleaned up. No, not at all, it's just sorta sitting there whilst your parents are talking in extreme generalities ("This mess, is it really a mess? Perhaps we should maybe get a spoon to clean up the mess. I believe a spoon is more than fit for the five foot wide diameter mess in the kitchen. Well....perhaps a toaster oven would be fit to clean up this mess. This sounds like a good idea.") Anyways, nothing gets done, but your dad is sorta on your side but such a spineless pussy of a father all he does is talk to you about not calling your brother names, pissing you off to no end. Meanwhile, even though everything is going his way by comparison, apparently your brother is pissed because your parents still like you a lot for being generally knowledgable and responsible, so he sucker punches you in the nads when they're not looking.

That's what the GOP is like

Rent on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked how you turned a rant from Obama into my horrible horrible childhood experiences

I mean your.

theSquid on
    edited October 2009
    Rent, I would report that to Awesome Posts if they didn't automatically 1 star anything political.

Raiden333 on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They also automatically 1-star things that aren't Awesome

It was a mostly fair analogy though

SithDrummer on
    edited October 2009
    theSquid wrote: »
    I liked how you turned a rant from Obama into my horrible horrible childhood experiences

I mean your.

Oh right grab a mop

I wasn't even thinking of that

Heh

Rent on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    theSquid wrote: »

I mean your.

Oh right grab a mop

I wasn't even thinking of that

Heh

Obama's brainwashing is clearly working.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my that Arnold thing.

I'm pretty sure I love it, though it's also insanely incendary and probably won't help at all.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's nice how the fox network is nicely

"and they are doing this IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RECESSION

A RECESSION! THEY HAVE NO SHAME!"

The Black Hunter on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    This is somewhat like if your little brother made a mess in the kitchen, you then tried to mop up the mess, and so your brother decided to make it impossible for you to get the mop because, in his opinion, "Mopping would never clean it up". He also has no personal opinion on how to clean the mess up besides "Your way won't work". So you call him a little dick for making it intentionally difficult for you to clean up his mess, and he whines and starts crying you and accuses you of both causing the mess in the first place and beating the shit out of him for the mop to your parents. You respond, "But no! All I did was call him a dick! And it was totally his mess in the first place!". Even though all evidence supports the claim that yes, it was your brother's fault for the mess, and there's no bruising or anything, in the interests of 'impartiality' your parents punish no one at all. Meanwhile, this mess isn't getting cleaned up. No, not at all, it's just sorta sitting there whilst your parents are talking in extreme generalities ("This mess, is it really a mess? Perhaps we should maybe get a spoon to clean up the mess. I believe a spoon is more than fit for the five foot wide diameter mess in the kitchen. Well....perhaps a toaster oven would be fit to clean up this mess. This sounds like a good idea.") Anyways, nothing gets done, but your dad is sorta on your side but such a spineless pussy of a father all he does is talk to you about not calling your brother names, pissing you off to no end. Meanwhile, even though everything is going his way by comparison, apparently your brother is pissed because your parents still like you a lot for being generally knowledgable and responsible, so he sucker punches you in the nads when they're not looking.

Whatever the problem, spoon is the best way to address it. The only policy tool we need is spoon.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This from people who want to solve the recession with tax cuts, simultaneously spend more on Afghanistan, and complain about the increasing deficit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Whatever the problem, spoon is the best way to address it. The only policy tool we need is spoon.
    There is no spoon.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's like when you're a kid and one of your relatives is sick. Suddenly every bad thing you do is another nail in their coffin.

"HOW COULD YOU RUN THE LAWNMOWER OVER THE CAT'S TAIL WHILE YOUR GRANDFATHER IS IN THE HOSPITAL!!"

KalTorak on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Patrick Leahy probably was, considering the VP told him to go fuck himself.

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Can I be the big spoon? Assuming of course that the small spoon has short hair. I always wind up choking in my sleep because my girl likes her long hair and thinks Im fucking my friend with short hair and I have this wierd fetish thing, but really I just don't like hair in my mouth/face/nose when I sleep...

...so yeah...

SHOTGUN BIG SPOON

Deebaser on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Scalia said even his 2001 decision outlawing the use of "thermal imaging'' equipment to let police peer through walls to see activity inside a house did not require him to use an evolutionary approach to the Constitution, even though such equipment did not exist in the 18th century.
    These seem like solid legal opinions based on a solid legal philosophy.
    No, it actually isn't. And while I appreciate the result and the law he created when he wrote that opinion, it is not a hard and fast rule. Basically, when civilians can buy FLIR cameras it will no longer unreasonable to expect that the police can conduct a "search" using them. That's a ridiculous standard.

I disagree. The definition of what is normal and allowed for technology must evolve to be in line with common usage. When it is common for regular people to be using them, I definitely think that the police should be allowed to use it. Eventually one day, you'll be able to whip out your camera phone, turn on the filter, and see right into houses to look at who's home. Technology has advanced beyond our humanity's wildest dreams in the last 50 years, and it'll make a bigger leap in the next 50. Maybe we'll invent technology that can unerringly determine if someone is lying or not. It'd be horrific if police used it now, but if it's so commonplace that you're using it to find out if your child stole a cookie from the cookie jar or a girl has a crush on you, then it would be idiotic to ban it from police. Police depriving people of internet access while in custody in 1990? Acceptable. Police depriving people of internet access when we've all got internal wifi in our brains, and the only way to contact a lawyer (or download a law education into your brain Matrix style) is through your modem? Unacceptable.

Technology evolves. Social expectations evolve with it. We cannot predict the path that technological and societal evolution will take; we can only wait until it happens, and judge it by the common sense standards of the day.

I'm fairly certain no one is going to allow "Spying on people in houses with thermal imaging tech" to be legal, police officer or not.

What's the status on the legality of, say, spying on someone with one of those high-powered directional mics?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »

Can I be the big spoon? Assuming of course that the small spoon has short hair. I always wind up choking in my sleep because my girl likes her long hair and thinks Im fucking my friend with short hair and I have this wierd fetish thing, but really I just don't like hair in my mouth/face/nose when I sleep...

...so yeah...

SHOTGUN BIG SPOON

Clearly, this spoon-centric policy is objectively inferior to the alternatives.
    spork.jpg

Houn on
    edited October 2009
    Spoons got us into this mess in the first place! Have you been unaware of the 20+ years of spooning going on?!

Rent on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

...so yeah...

SHOTGUN BIG SPOON

Clearly, this spoon-centric policy is objectively inferior to the alternatives.
    spork.jpg

Oh yeah, the Spork would have been effective a decade ago when all this first started, but we waited too long. Now it would be like a band-aid on a severed artery. We need to bring out the big guns.
    knork.gif

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Last I checked this was a thread devoted to the glibness and quirkiness of the GOP.
    Don't get yourself closed, thread.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Psst: spoons are tax cuts.

Captain Carrot on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, the Governator still counts as GOP, right?

Because I think he's lacking some tact.

1027arnold.jpg

Don't see it?
    Read the first letter of each line.

(link to the PDF on the gov.ca.gov website)

If what he claims is true, I've gotta say, that is pretty awesome.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    IseewhatyoudidthereandIfuckingloveit.jpg

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What's sad is that Arnold is one of the more reasonable Republican voices today.

By that, I don't mean he's the most liberal Republican today, but rather that he knows each and every thing he says is going to be scrutinized by his state's large and often incredibly famous liberal population. So, as a conservative, he can't just blurt out the typical talking point bullshit. Everything he says needs to be well thought out and logical. Otherwise, he'd be eaten alive.

I sort of wish every politician was required to be is such a situation. Got elected in Georgia? Congrats, enjoy your governorship in the great state of Vermont!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There are liberal Republicans? Does that mean there are also conservative Democrats?

emnmnme on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There are liberal Republicans? Does that mean there are also conservative Democrats?

"Conservative" dem usually means a combination of: political opportunist/sellout/corporatist.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
This discussion has been closed.