As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is wrong with my TV?

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I have this TV (Sharp lc42sb45u) and am I having some issues with it. I'm not super familiar with LCD TV terminology, so I may not be describing the problem properly.

I am getting a very poor image quality when watching movies. The quality is particularly poor on large areas of a solid color, such as shirts or skin.

For example, if an actor is wearing a solid red t-shirt, then the shirt would look terrible but a car moving by in the background will look fine.

Complicated objects with multiple colors look very good, which is what is confusing me. I have confirmed that it is not the source video or the player because it happens with pretty much any HD content. I have tried blu ray discs on my ps3, downloaded HD movies on my PS3 and Xbox360, netflix streamed videos, etc. They all have the poor quality in areas of solid colors. Even video games have some minor quality issues (although less because video games have fewer of the large solid colors like movies).

I have tried altering the settings to no avail (i.e. trying different view modes, filters, etc). Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this or is the TV junk?

I managed to take a few photos of the issue (apologies for quality, the only digital camera I have is my phone):

photo.jpg

photo3.JPG

These were taken during the playback of a 720p source. I viewed the source on my computer and it was crystal clear there.

Mace1370 on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What kind of cables are you using?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    HDMI.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you viewed the source on your computer, using the same cables, and it was just fine, that suggests to me that your tv may either be fucked or is trying to scale and stretch the image somehow

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I didn't view it with the same cable. My computer is hooked up to a Dell monitor via a DVI cable.

However, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are hooked up to the TV with different HDMI cables (even different brands, not that it should make a difference). This probably rules out that it is a cable issue.

The fact that both the 360 and the PS3 have issues is what is making me think that it is an issue with the TV rather than anything else.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried calibrating the TV? AVS Forums usually has ones listed by forum members there.

Read through this thread and see if anything jumps out (I don't have time) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1065715

When did you buy it? Can you take it back?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll look through that thread, thanks.

I purchased it from amazon from a third party dealer (TV is refurbished).

Up until recently I had only played games on it and didn't notice anything. I think because games have more movement and fewer solid areas of color the distortion was hidden.

I doubt I would be able to return it at this point =/

Edit: I have read through that thread already. They didn't mention anything like this.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You're sure the PS3 is sending a 1080p signal out to the tv?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ya, I mean the setting is on 1080p. Is there any other way to check?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Either a fault with the LDVS cable/connector or main signal PCB.

From what I can see from the picture, the panel driver isnt receiving all the bits required to display the correct picture.

If its not in warranty and you want to try a home fix try reseating the LDVS cable (maybe even hot glue it in if you can wiggle it to get the correct picture.) If that doesnt work more then likely a faulty signal PCB which is a prof job and normally £RightArm

Note its posible its caused by a faulty panel driver PCB (if it has a seperate one) but im my experiance they are pretty rock solid. I think ive only ever changed 2 or 3 in the last 2 years.

Prime on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Prime wrote: »
    Either a fault with the LDVS cable/connector or main signal PCB.

From what I can see from the picture, the panel driver isnt receiving all the bits required to display the correct picture.

If its not in warranty and you want to try a home fix try reseating the LDVS cable (maybe even hot glue it in if you can wiggle it to get the correct picture.) If that doesnt work more then likely a faulty signal PCB which is a prof job and normally £RightArm

Note its posible its caused by a faulty panel driver PCB (if it has a seperate one) but im my experiance they are pretty rock solid. I think ive only ever changed 2 or 3 in the last 2 years.

Unfortunately, doing any of that on my own is way outside my comfort area. I really don't know anything about the insides of LCD TVs.

I'm going to call Sharp today and see if they can anything.

Assuming they can't, what are my options? Call a private repair company? Do you know of any that are good? What should a repair job like this cost me?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Electrical repair company job, and unless you live in UK, norfolk I cant recommend anyone im afraid.

Standard labour for something like that would be £80-100 (again UK prices) as for the signal PCB (if it needs it) no idea, can be anything from £50-60 to £180-190 depends on what sharp are charging for it.

Prime on
  • Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just a quick thought:

If you are using your PS3 for playback, ensure it is not set to JUST 1080p, but to allow both 720 AND 1080, as if it is 1080 it will have issues playing back 720 sources, and they'll end up looking poor.

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Just a quick thought:

If you are using your PS3 for playback, ensure it is not set to JUST 1080p, but to allow both 720 AND 1080, as if it is 1080 it will have issues playing back 720 sources, and they'll end up looking poor.

Checked it and I had 720p enabled too.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've called Sharp and they had me e-mail them a few pictures of what was going on. Hopefully they will be able to provide me with a resolution.

Mace1370 on