As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about rape culture.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Which leaves me to question what the article's purpose is.

I read it as a slightly humorous commentary on how fucked up the whole situation is. edit: For both parties.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly if I found out that a girl had left a name and contact info before a date I would probably think it was rather cool, and a good precaution. Then make a joke about how I had an implanted GPS transmitter in case she poisoned me and dumped me in the desert.

Detharin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Honestly, I just don't like being told that it is reasonable for some one to assume that I might be a rapist without knowing anything at all about me.

Statistically it is, however, absolutely reasonable.

is it?

you have yet to answer my question about strangers

statistically, where I live, if I'm going to get attacked in the street it's going to be done by a black man. should I be afraid of all black men?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    I wish Pony felt the need to type out so much prose over the article about the TWO HOUR LONG GANGRAPE in the OP, instead of an article trying to explain why women might not find a guy dashing from the word go.

But whatever.

I think the difference is that we all agree on how fucked up that occurrence was.

there is no "two sides" on that one to foster debate.

Evander on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish Pony felt the need to type out so much prose over the article about the TWO HOUR LONG GANGRAPE in the OP, instead of an article trying to explain why women might not find a guy dashing from the word go.

But whatever.

strangely enough there isn't that much discussion to be had about a brutal gang rape

unless you have a new perspective on it I guess

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Which leaves me to question what the article's purpose is.

I read it as a slightly humorous commentary on how fucked up the whole situation is. edit: For both parties.

I guess, as a dude, I found it less funny and more disconcerting. Probably Gorilla's whole "GUYS SHOULD READ THIS" presentation as if it was essential reading for all men and should be taken seriously had a lot to do with that.

Pony on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a feminist, Incenjucar. Are you? Perhaps you can explain this to me. Gorilla posted it for one reason but I doubt that was it's purpose. So, what is it?

Yes, I am a feminist. Not anywhere near as caught up on the literature as most others who claim the same, unfortunately. It is not especially relevant.

The purpose of the article is to show interested parties that the behavior that many men find off-putting and insulting is for a reasonable purpose, and that they can make life easier on people if they avoid behaviors which suggest that they are dangerous, and then gives many examples. It's basically "Don't be offended that women do not that you are not a dick at first, and don't act like you might be a dick, because they'll assume you are one."

Unfortunately, the writer's abilities hamper their purpose. Very likely as a result of being drenched in academia. A lot of professors and such are goddamn near incomprehensible unless you're used to more subtext than text. I blame Modernism. Fuck you, The Wasteland.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

But whatever.

strangely enough there isn't that much discussion to be had about a brutal gang rape

How about the fact that even though it was in a relatively public place and strangers kept stumbling upon the crime it wasn't stopped?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    is it?

statistically, where I live, if I'm going to get attacked in the street it's going to be done by a black man. should I be afraid of all black men?

Why would you not be cautious of men of other colors?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah, here's another example of how rape is I guess normalized in some ways.

http://www.feministing.com/archives/007339.html

It's a column from Details Magazine asking: Is it OK to demand anal sex?

One of the viewpoints is a man saying that he loves to get girls drunk so they will consent to it. (being implied that they would refuse sober)

I don't think you would see an equivalent of this in Cosmo.

ABSOLUTELY not the same thing as rape, and I am NOT defending Details, but what about the perfectly socially acceptable notion of a woman being flirty in order to get a man to buy her things (drinks, dinner, gifts, etc.) Does Cosmo never discuss this sort of thing?

Two wrongs don't make a right, I honestly just think that ALL of those sorts of magazines are kind fo disgusting.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    is it?

Why would you not be cautious of men of other colors?

You're skipping the stranger question again.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

You are not articulating it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

How about the fact that even though it was in a relatively public place and strangers kept stumbling upon the crime it wasn't stopped?

It is horrible.

What else is there to say about it?

Evander on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

again

if you want to bring something new to the table, I'm sure lots of people would be happy to talk about it. I don't think it's required of people to hold forth on obvious topics before they can address more interesting or contentious ones.

Or maybe every post in the thread should end with the following footnote:

*But wait! Even though I am a man I condemn rape and sexual assault in all their forms, and hope that law enforcement vigorously pursues every accusation and alleged criminal(s) vigorously.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No, you just don't have an answer, and think that if you play coy long enough I'll drop it.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No, you just don't have an answer, and think that if you play coy long enough I'll drop it.

Ask the question.

I honestly don't know what you're asking.

Don't be a jackass.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

Seven raped her, nearly to death. She was found in critical condition and had to be coptered out.

Fifteen watched, a few joined in. At least fifteen, as students would walk back to the dance and tell their pals about the show.

The only reason it was reported to police is because a girl heard someone reminiscing about the event and she called the police.

This is, I think, the sort of event where the idea of rape culture springs up from. You might say: "But it was just 20 or so kids, that's not a defining event."

But already the school is making the media rounds making it clear that this was an isolated event, saying that the dance was perfectly safe. The lowest common denominator is either saying she shouldn't have drank, I mean rape is awful and all but why did she need to drink? or looking at the last names of the young men currently accused and chalking it up to race.

So the young men who watched or even joined in are mostly walking free, and instead of confronting the reality that rapists do not have flickering tongues or slanted eyeballs, a community is trying to pretend that this was just one event, and the girl was the aberration, the problem, and clearing it over nice and smooth.

Seven raped. Fifteen or more watched. All from one school. And most of them are walking free.

This will happen again if justice is not served properly. I hope the law comes through for this young woman. The world will never be the same for her again.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

What is there for me to say?

"Shit be fucked up, man"?

I could words-words-words the blue fuck out of this thread with my thoughts and feelings on that instance.

Trust me.

But aside from having a lot of people nod their head and maybe lime parts of it, what does it accomplish? I don't think I think anything anyone else hasn't already said.

Here, I will CliffNotes my shit for you, and you can pick a point you'd like to see me drop paragraph grenades on, if you want: Bystander effect, high school scapegoating, dehumanization in the high school environment, mass reinforced sociopathic behavior, why vengeance is bad, criminal rehabilitation, ruminations on juvenile assault, shit, man I could go on.

There's a fuck ton of shit I could write on that issue.

I haven't, because I originally came into this thread sorta pissed because until Hach edited the OP the whole thread was started with telling me off personally.

I don't like being given attention I didn't ask for, and I definitely don't like being quoted out of context and told off when I'm not around and wasn't invited to explain myself.

From there, I've sorta reacted to subject matter as it came.

But if you wanna see me drop text blocks on you like Thwomps from Mario Bros. on how the OP article makes me feel, I can be your Huckleberry.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    why don't you just restate it so that you at least aren't fighting about a post from four pages ago

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

It is horrible.

Do I have to make a big animated image saying 'THIS SHIT IS WHY A WOMAN MIGHT LEAVE INFO BEHIND AT HOME WHEN SHE GOES OUT ON A DATE' for you?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Ask the question.

Don't be a jackass.

You have said that it is perfectly justifiable for a lady to be afraid of every man in the street because there is a 17% chance that she will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

I have asked what percentage of those assaults occur from strangers.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You have said that it is perfectly justifiable for a lady to be afraid of every man in the street because there is a 17% chance that she will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.

I'm not sure on the exact number. It is a much smaller chance than people that she knows. Probably listed somewhere else in the thread

And?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kagera, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Her father knew where she was. Or rather, where she was supposed to be. He was looking for her while she joined into the drinking.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is, I think, the sort of event where the idea of rape culture springs up from. You might say: "But it was just 20 or so kids, that's not a defining event."

I think if you want to use a term like "rape culture" honestly, you need to do a better job of articulating what you mean than has happened so far in this thread.

We don't say that we have a "murder culture" or a "theft culture" or whatever in response to other heinous crimes. The reason pushback happens against calling society a "rape culture" is that it sounds like a loaded phrase that's being used to deflect discussion.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

We don't say that we have a "murder culture" or a "theft culture" or whatever in response to other heinous crimes.

Look up "Culture of Violence."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

It is horrible.

Do I have to make a big animated image saying 'THIS SHIT IS WHY A WOMAN MIGHT LEAVE INFO BEHIND AT HOME WHEN SHE GOES OUT ON A DATE' for you?

you're changing your point.

bad shit happens in the world. I know a dude who went for a walk and got punched in the face for no reason. later, on his way home, he got robbed.

should EVERYBODY be leaving information? I mean, I do about an hour's worth of highway driving daily. Statistically, I could wind up in a nasty accident.

Evander on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I think if you want to use a term like "rape culture" honestly, you need to do a better job of articulating what you mean than has happened so far in this thread.

We don't say that we have a "murder culture" or a "theft culture" or whatever in response to other heinous crimes. The reason pushback happens against calling society a "rape culture" is that it sounds like a loaded phrase that's being used to deflect discussion.

Rape is not the equivalent of theft. You can leave your wallet at home, I can't leave my vagina at home.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

Ask the question.

Don't be a jackass.

You and I both know that most assaults are committed by aquaintances, friends and family, but that still doesn't negate the danger of an attack.

You're also conveniently ignoring the astronomically higher odds of being subject to sexual harassment and intimidation by strangers in public in many places. Women are leery of cold approaches not just because of the worst-case scenario. Go into any thread on a feminist website about street harassment and similar, read the stories, and maybe you'll finally get a clue as to why.

Now, can you please for god's sake shut the hell up?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Kagera, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Her father knew where she was. Or rather, where she was supposed to be. He was looking for her while she joined into the drinking.

Actually it makes TOTAL sense if you would actually use some critical thinking skills and extrapolate.

But let's go to an even more basic explanation for you.

Yes, the father knew where she was, and yes it was not enough to save her from a horrible crime, and yet Evan and Pony would have you think she was mentally flawed for taking such a precaution.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm not sure on the exact number. It is a much smaller chance than people that she knows. Probably listed somewhere else in the thread

And?

so suddenly assuming that every stranger has an equal chance of being a rapist as a non-rapist doesn't exactly match the numbers, so the whole "schrodinger" thing is kind of bullshit.

Evander on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vic_viper wrote: »
    The cultural narrative that allows "rape" to be used in contexts like "Oh yeah when I played mike in call of duty the other day I totally raped him"

Also, I want to comment on this: how is this an inappropriate use of the word? I mean, we use the word "rape and pillage" in regard to land. Its a common, dramatic, expression. It is, dare I say even in the context of sex crime, still a somewhat accurate commandeering of the term.

This was said a while back but I'd like to agree with it. We use the term "Make a killing" when refer to acquisition of money, I killed that test, etc These terms aren't seen as offensive. I see the use of rape in the above situation to be a similar situation.

I think part of the difference is that you don't have to worry about murder victims being reminded of their traumatic experiences.

It's not a term I'd throw around outside of say, the internet because of this reason. At the same time however, it's usage isn't derogatory to any particular group of people (i.e. how "gay" is) and the etmyology of the term, like I said, lends itself to the usage.

Basically in a situation where there is no way of generating a palpable threat against someone's person (the internet), I think including this on a list of culture problems is decidedly targeting the wrong thing.

Also, whoever said it was accepted as "the rape of one's women and the pillaging of their land" is coming to the conclusion by guesstimating from what they knew sinced I always took "rape and pillage" to mean "taking and destroying". Particularly since the common usage is say "rape and pillage of our native rainforest".

EDIT: Of course the Cat is also accurate - one kind of goes hand in hand with the other from the history of its usage.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    should EVERYBODY be leaving information? I mean, I do about an hour's worth of highway driving daily. Statistically, I could wind up in a nasty accident.

It is not unreasonable for everyone to leave the information of their location behind.

Do you think it is unreasonable for people to provide emergency information?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Rape is not the equivalent of theft. You can leave your wallet at home, I can't leave my vagina at home.

I don't really see how that is relevant to the point I was making.

and re: inj:

"Culture of violence" is almost always used to refer to the specific issue of adolescent violence in schools. Which is a rather more specific use of "culture of x" than is being used in this thread. If "rape culture" had a similarly specific accepted use I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Actually it makes TOTAL sense if you would actually use some critical thinking skills and extrapolate.

Yes, the father knew where she was, and yes it was not enough to save her from a horrible crime, and yet Evan and Pony would have you think she was mentally flawed for taking such a precaution.

no.

They're saying that she's mentally flawed if before she left for the dance, instead of telling her dad "Ok I'll meet you here at 10," she said "If you don't see me by 10 call the police because I'm being gang-raped."

Even though the 2nd one might have helped her out if she had said it, it would still make her fucking crazy.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so suddenly assuming that every stranger has an equal chance of being a rapist as a non-rapist doesn't exactly match the numbers, so the whole "schrodinger" thing is kind of bullshit.

Strawman.

The "equal chance" is "UNKNOWN QUANTITY."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

It is horrible.

bad shit happens in the world. I know a dude who went for a walk and got punched in the face for no reason. later, on his way home, he got robbed.

You have a cell phone yes? In an accident situation it can be used by the authorities to find you. Damn government and it's paranoia.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I ABSOLUTELY agree that rape is not equivalent to theft

however, I absolutely CANNOT leave my wallet at home. I couldn't function day to day without it, because of the structure of our society. Telling me to leave my wallet at home would be like me saying "stay home if you don't want to get raped."

Rape and theft are different because of how they affect the victim, not because one is some how more preventable.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

It is horrible.

You have a cell phone yes? In an accident situation it can be used by the authorities to find you. Damn government and it's paranoia.

so my cellphone is good enough for me, but not for women?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    and re: inj:

"Culture of violence" is almost always used to refer to the specific issue of adolescent violence in schools. Which is a rather more specific use of "culture of x" than is being used in this thread. If "rape culture" had a similarly specific accepted use I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

I was under the impression that adolescent violence was only a commonly-focused-on facet, like heterosexual rape of women with the rape culture concept.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Leaving a note that says she's going to a dance is rather different than leaving a note that says "Hey I'm going out with a guy and just in case I get assaulted here is his information." You think her dad's letting her go to that dance in the first place if she leaves a note saying "hey dad going to a dance if I get assaulted here's the info of every guy there?"

example failure

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.