As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about rape culture.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I wish Pony felt the need to type out so much prose over the article about the TWO HOUR LONG GANGRAPE in the OP, instead of an article trying to explain why women might not find a guy dashing from the word go.

But whatever.

strangely enough there isn't that much discussion to be had about a brutal gang rape

unless you have a new perspective on it I guess

How about the fact that even though it was in a relatively public place and strangers kept stumbling upon the crime it wasn't stopped?

It is horrible.

What else is there to say about it?

Do I have to make a big animated image saying 'THIS SHIT IS WHY A WOMAN MIGHT LEAVE INFO BEHIND AT HOME WHEN SHE GOES OUT ON A DATE' for you?

you're changing your point.

bad shit happens in the world. I know a dude who went for a walk and got punched in the face for no reason. later, on his way home, he got robbed.

should EVERYBODY be leaving information? I mean, I do about an hour's worth of highway driving daily. Statistically, I could wind up in a nasty accident.

You have a cell phone yes? In an accident situation it can be used by the authorities to find you. Damn government and it's paranoia.

so my cellphone is good enough for me, but not for women?

Since violent acts are not ACCIDENTS, no.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    should EVERYBODY be leaving information? I mean, I do about an hour's worth of highway driving daily. Statistically, I could wind up in a nasty accident.

It is not unreasonable for everyone to leave the information of their location behind.

Do you think it is unreasonable for people to provide emergency information?

emergency information is generally intended to help in case of an accident, not to find the body and bring the culprit to justice.

Evander on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is, I think, the sort of event where the idea of rape culture springs up from. You might say: "But it was just 20 or so kids, that's not a defining event."

I think if you want to use a term like "rape culture" honestly, you need to do a better job of articulating what you mean than has happened so far in this thread.

We don't say that we have a "murder culture" or a "theft culture" or whatever in response to other heinous crimes. The reason pushback happens against calling society a "rape culture" is that it sounds like a loaded phrase that's being used to deflect discussion.

Rape is not the equivalent of theft. You can leave your wallet at home, I can't leave my vagina at home.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that rape is not equivalent to theft

however, I absolutely CANNOT leave my wallet at home. I couldn't function day to day without it, because of the structure of our society. Telling me to leave my wallet at home would be like me saying "stay home if you don't want to get raped."

Rape and theft are different because of how they affect the victim, not because one is some how more preventable.

I'm sorry, the analogy might not be perfect. In discussion as rape as a crime, the analogy "Would you walk around with a wallet full of $100 bills in a dark neighborhood?" inevitably comes up. I was more thinking of that image.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited October 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Kagera, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Her father knew where she was. Or rather, where she was supposed to be. He was looking for her while she joined into the drinking.

Actually it makes TOTAL sense if you would actually use some critical thinking skills and extrapolate.

But let's go to an even more basic explanation for you.

Yes, the father knew where she was, and yes it was not enough to save her from a horrible crime, and yet Evan and Pony would have you think she was mentally flawed for taking such a precaution.

Leaving a note that says she's going to a dance is rather different than leaving a note that says "Hey I'm going out with a guy and just in case I get assaulted here is his information." You think her dad's letting her go to that dance in the first place if she leaves a note saying "hey dad going to a dance if I get assaulted here's the info of every guy there?"

example failure

Are you saying the chance of her being assaulted is determined by whether she mentions it in a note or not?

Kagera on
    edited October 2009
    I wish Pony felt the need to type out so much prose over the article about the TWO HOUR LONG GANGRAPE in the OP, instead of an article trying to explain why women might not find a guy dashing from the word go.

But whatever.

strangely enough there isn't that much discussion to be had about a brutal gang rape

How about the fact that even though it was in a relatively public place and strangers kept stumbling upon the crime it wasn't stopped?

It is horrible.

What else is there to say about it?

Do I have to make a big animated image saying 'THIS SHIT IS WHY A WOMAN MIGHT LEAVE INFO BEHIND AT HOME WHEN SHE GOES OUT ON A DATE' for you?

you're changing your point.

bad shit happens in the world. I know a dude who went for a walk and got punched in the face for no reason. later, on his way home, he got robbed.

You have a cell phone yes? In an accident situation it can be used by the authorities to find you. Damn government and it's paranoia.

so my cellphone is good enough for me, but not for women?

Since violent acts are not ACCIDENTS, no.

why does that make a difference?

we're talking about an unwilling victim in either scenario. why does it matter if the other party was behaving intentionally or not, in terms of cellphones and notes?

Evander on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh my god can we drop the note thing this is getting to new levels of silliness.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    emergency information is generally intended to help in case of an accident, not to find the body and bring the culprit to justice.

So accidents are worth planning for, crimes are not?

Incenjucar on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    and re: inj:

"Culture of violence" is almost always used to refer to the specific issue of adolescent violence in schools. Which is a rather more specific use of "culture of x" than is being used in this thread. If "rape culture" had a similarly specific accepted use I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

I was under the impression that adolescent violence was only a commonly-focused-on facet, like heterosexual rape of women with the rape culture concept.

I don't know, googled around and found all sorts of different uses, but adolescent violence was the most common use, which dovetailed with how I always see it used. Looking at more google results reveals that people use it to refer to everything from adolescent violence to sexual violence to abortion to television and back again.

I don't really see how that is relevant as an argument though, since my original point was that vague phrases like that are really little more than rhetorical devices used to deflect discussion.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited October 2009
    Oh my god can we drop the note thing this is getting to new levels of silliness.

But Cass men are not being assumed good people by strangers. This cannot stand.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

we're talking about an unwilling victim in either scenario. why does it matter if the other party was behaving intentionally or not, in terms of cellphones and notes?

Well in the case of an intentional incident the criminal and their desire not to be caught tends to make it matter.

I'd rather not rely solely on something that the criminal can get their hands on you see.

Kagera on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kagera, that doesn't make a lick of sense. Her father knew where she was. Or rather, where she was supposed to be. He was looking for her while she joined into the drinking.

Actually it makes TOTAL sense if you would actually use some critical thinking skills and extrapolate.

But let's go to an even more basic explanation for you.

Yes, the father knew where she was, and yes it was not enough to save her from a horrible crime, and yet Evan and Pony would have you think she was mentally flawed for taking such a precaution.

Leaving a note that says she's going to a dance is rather different than leaving a note that says "Hey I'm going out with a guy and just in case I get assaulted here is his information." You think her dad's letting her go to that dance in the first place if she leaves a note saying "hey dad going to a dance if I get assaulted here's the info of every guy there?"

example failure

Are you saying the chance of her being assaulted is determined by whether she mentions it in a note or not?

No. I am saying that the situations are completely different and the fact that she left a note before leaving for a dance is really not relevant to the previous discussion of whether it is reasonable to leave a "rape note" before going on a date.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited October 2009
    I don't really see how that is relevant as an argument though, since my original point was that vague phrases like that are really little more than rhetorical devices used to deflect discussion.

Depends on who is using it.

In this case it is being used to encapsulate a whole range of issues into two words for the sake of brevity.

If the Media was using it, all bets are off.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

accidents are unforseeable

if you can forsee a crime, you should be doing something about it, rather than waling in to it

Evander on
    edited October 2009
    This is, I think, the sort of event where the idea of rape culture springs up from. You might say: "But it was just 20 or so kids, that's not a defining event."

I think if you want to use a term like "rape culture" honestly, you need to do a better job of articulating what you mean than has happened so far in this thread.

We don't say that we have a "murder culture" or a "theft culture" or whatever in response to other heinous crimes. The reason pushback happens against calling society a "rape culture" is that it sounds like a loaded phrase that's being used to deflect discussion.

Rape is not the equivalent of theft. You can leave your wallet at home, I can't leave my vagina at home.

I don't really see how that is relevant to the point I was making.

"Culture of violence" is almost always used to refer to the specific issue of adolescent violence in schools. Which is a rather more specific use of "culture of x" than is being used in this thread. If "rape culture" had a similarly specific accepted use I would be a lot more comfortable with it.

Let me put it this way:

If that girl, after two hours of being raped and beaten had died

I truly believe that the public response would be different. If this was a murder, there would not be such a large denial that the community's boys had taken place in it, the school would not be blowing this off as an isolated incident and calling the school dance a success, and I think the conversation would be much more focused on how to change things.

I also believe that if Roman Polanski had murdered a 13 year old instead of sodomizing her, he would not have the level of sympathy from his peers he has now.

Hell, maybe he should have taken the mic from her at an awards show, that would have really pissed everyone off.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

But whatever.

again

if you want to bring something new to the table, I'm sure lots of people would be happy to talk about it. I don't think it's required of people to hold forth on obvious topics before they can address more interesting or contentious ones.

Or maybe every post in the thread should end with the following footnote:

*But wait! Even though I am a man I condemn rape and sexual assault in all their forms, and hope that law enforcement vigorously pursues every accusation and alleged criminal(s) vigorously.

Very late on this, but the thread is moving quickly

I'd just like to amend this to
    *But wait! Even though I am a man I condemn rape and sexual assault in all their forms, and hope that the father finds these bastards, and the police are 10 minutes too late to the resulting scene, for each and every one of them

The Black Hunter on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009

But Cass men are not being assumed good people by strangers. This cannot stand.

3132876-2-mighty-boosh-tony-harriso.jpg

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited October 2009

if you can forsee a crime, you should be doing something about it, rather than waling in to it

Do you not realize how ironic this statement is?

Seriously, read it a few times, think very hard before responding.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Well in the case of an intentional incident the criminal and their desire not to be caught tends to make it matter.

I'd rather not rely solely on something that the criminal can get their hands on you see.

you're completely ignoring the idea of telling a friend where you will be, which I have been ADVOCATING for. Basically at all times of day in my life, there is at least one other person who knows where I am. That is just common sense.

It's leaving a note for the cops that crosses a threshold.

Evander on
    edited October 2009
    you're completely ignoring the idea of telling a friend where you will be, which I have been ADVOCATING for. Basically at all times of day in my life, there is at least one other person who knows where I am. That is just common sense.

It's the same fucking thing.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

if you think that cops are going to need to get involved, you should probably not be doing a thing.

Evander on
    edited October 2009

if you think that cops are going to need to get involved, you should probably not be doing a thing.

By that logic, if you think your friend needs to get involved, you should probably not be doing a thing.

Incenjucar on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

If only women could see into the future. No more rapes ever again!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited October 2009
    ....WHO DO YOU THINK THAT FRIEND IS GOING TO TALK TO IF YOU DON'T TURN UP YOU JACKASS?

The article doesn't mean that a note DIRECTLY TO THE POLICE IS THE SOLE METHOD OF LEAVING INFORMATION BEHIND.

Yeesh.

Kagera on
    edited October 2009

It's the same fucking thing.

Dude, sometimes I get a feeling that some how some one else has materialized in the shower behind me, and even I know that they are not the same thing.

Evander on
    edited October 2009

Let me put it this way:

I truly believe that the public response would be different. If this was a murder, there would not be such a large denial that the community's boys had taken place in it, the school would not be blowing this off as an isolated incident and calling the school dance a success, and I think the conversation would be much more focused on how to change things.

How is it that you think the school's position would've been different in a murder? They'd admit that it wasn't an isolated incident after all? The parents of the accused kids aren't still going to defend their children?

The biggest difference is of course that this wouldn't have gone unreported for such a length of time, for obvious reasons. And the fact that the response was delayed probably does have some impact on the severity of it. That's not a result of rape being considered a minor crime or something, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ....WHO DO YOU THINK THAT FRIEND IS GOING TO TALK TO IF YOU DON'T TURN UP YOU JACKASS?

The article doesn't mean that a note DIRECTLY TO THE POLICE IS THE SOLE METHOD OF LEAVING INFORMATION BEHIND.

Yeesh.

Right. It's the only abnormal and creepy one.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited October 2009
    Dude, sometimes I get a feeling that some how some one else has materialized in the shower behind me, and even I know that they are not the same thing.

Alternatively: Your initial wisdom matches your secondary wisdom.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

why do the cops need the note if the friends already knows?

do you understand what I am saying about the note being "too much"?

Evander on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

Why is it too much?

Why is taking five seconds to write on paper too much?

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

Right. It's the only abnormal and creepy one.

Not even close, I can think of several others.

For instance, also requiring the date allow you to photocopy their ID and SSN and fax to your next of kin.

Kagera on
    edited October 2009

Let me put it this way:

How is it that you think the school's position would've been different in a murder? They'd admit that it wasn't an isolated incident after all? The parents of the accused kids aren't still going to defend their children?

The biggest difference is of course that this wouldn't have gone unreported for such a length of time, for obvious reasons. And the fact that the response was delayed probably does have some impact on the severity of it. That's not a result of rape being considered a minor crime or something, though.

Would the school board still work to defend seven murderers, and the fifteen+ kids who stood around and watched their classmate die?

Would Whoopi Goldberg classify "murder-murder" as being different than Polanski's regular "murder"?

edited October 2009

Yeesh.

Friends forget, paper doesn't.

Kagera on
    edited October 2009
    Alright, new topic, but I've been racking my brain, and FINALLY remembered the name Kitty Genovese, which I've been trying to remember for the length of this whole thread.

Evander on
    edited October 2009

Not relying on your friend's memory means that you're insane and should not go outside, Kagera. I hope you're happy now you crazy paranoid.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

Why is it too much?

why is taking a second to wash your hands ever hour too much?

Evander on
    edited October 2009
    Would the school board still work to defend seven murderers, and the fifteen+ kids who stood around and watched their classmate die?

Probably to be honest. They are vulnerable to a lawsuit whether the victim had died or not.

Kagera on
    edited October 2009

Because it will harm your skin.

Incenjucar on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

Why is it too much?

Well if you can wash your hands in a second you have some pretty fucking quick hands.

Kagera on
    edited October 2009

Yeesh.

get better friends

honestly, I'm happy to drop this whole topic, because I'm tired of the name calling, and no one on either side is EVER going to budge.

Evander on
    edited October 2009
    get better friends

You make me miss arguing with Podly. Holy fuck.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.