As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D Politics Podcast: Yea or Nay?

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
From the Fox News thread:
wwtMask wrote: »
So...I was listening to The Michael Baisden show the other day, and I heard the last bit from a guest on the show talking about this whole thing with Fox News. The guy said something I had to admit made sense; that the left needed to promote more liberal voices. Quite aside from demographics and the fact that Fox will never put a strong liberal like a Maddow on any of its shows, I still think that it makes sense to groom some upcoming talent that can get out there and present the liberal perspective, just as the right does. Anyway, to that end, I know that D&D has a lot of smart and highly opinionated people that post here, and a few of them already produced a political ad. Couldn't we do some kind of talk show/discussion panel thing? I've been kicking the idea around a bit and would love to hear anyone's opinion on it.

So the point of this thread is to gauge interest in producing a politics themed talk radio and/or round table discussion podcast. Specifically, I'd like to know who all would be interested in participating and any ideas for interesting segments on the podcast. And even though I mentioned liberal voices, any political perspective is welcomed. Ultimately, I'd like to think we can create a political show that would be better than the silliness that goes on on cable news, and would be a somewhat more civil version of the politics threads we have around here. Anyway, comment away, and if we decide to get serious about doing this thing I'll compile ideas and participants in this OP.

EDIT: Also, if you have any technical knowledge about conferencing with Skype or something similar, or you have radio show experience, your advice would be very appreciated.

EDIT 2: The Important Information (Jobs TBD later)

Participants
wwtMask - producer/writer/researcher/host/round table
Salvation122 - sound guy/Round Table
The Crowing One
Element Brian
Captain Carrot - writer
Synthesis
Chanus - writer/researcher
Deebaser
SageinaRage
Buddies
Feral
Sos
Heartlash - writer/reasearcher/Round Table
Henroid - Round Table
Hakkekage - produce/researcher/writer
Fencingsax - Round Table
Speaker
Rent - writer
Gosling - researcher
Bullio
enlightenedbum
Yar - researcher/Round table

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In.

Fake edit: If nothing else to play devil's advocate.

Salvation122 on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to be involved.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like fun.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes please for conservative voices. Sal, you're actually one of the posters I was thinking of when this idea came to me.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure how to set up a mike with my computer, but I think I might enjoy this.

Captain Carrot on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm too lazy to actually contribute anything, but I wouldn't mind having another RSS for my aggregator to go next to Limed for the Truth.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    We should call it Limed For Truth and also have a blog. I'm sure people will write tons of stuff on the blog and it won't be quickly forgotten.

Edit: I support this though.

Couscous on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Limed for Truth is the most perfectest name ever.

edit: motherfucker. it appears that there is already a blog named this.

Deebaser on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd be very interested in this, but sadly, I am so technologically illiterate I'm not completely sure what makes a podcast different from just normal video. Thus, my usefulness is very limited potentially.

I also like Limed for Truth.

Synthesis on
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Limed for Truth is the most perfectest name ever.

yeah, particularly because various folks who post here already have the domain and a blog set up.

http://limedforthetruth.com/

it's been inactive for like years.

redx on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of Limed for Truth, why the heck is the first google search result for it this
    Limed for the Truth .... with celexacheap norvasc onlineingredients to oxycodonetruth about adderalloxycontin online pharmacymorphine medical useingredient ...

yet it links to what i believe is the correct site?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in this, but sadly, I am so technologically illiterate I'm not completely sure what makes a podcast different from just normal video.

Well, for one, it's generally audio. =)

It's basically like a radio show of any variety presented as an mp3 you can download and listen to at your leisure.

I like the idea... I'd be willing to contribute... unless I'm one of the crazy conservatives... I dunno how you people think of me. =)

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited October 2009
    Some segment ideas:

MSM FAIL - highlighting failures of the MSM
    LOLpublicans/LOLdems - pretty self explanatory
    It Came from the Fringe - sort of a LOLwingers thing
    Politician of the Day - each panelist highlights a politician that's doing something they like
    Headline Issues - self explanatory
    Wonky Talk - complex issues are discussed like they're not black and white or simple

EDIT: I forgot [CITATION NEEDED] - highlighting politicians and pundits who are talking out of their asses.

Also, hopefully this is a bit easier to do than maintain a blog. I post all sorts of shit on the forums and talk about politics all the time but can't maintain a regular blog.

wwtMask on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a mic, computer, webcam available, whitescreen and 10 suit jackets (they don't wear pants on the young turks)

Deebaser on
    edited October 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in this, but sadly, I am so technologically illiterate I'm not completely sure what makes a podcast different from just normal video.

Well, for one, it's generally audio. =)

It's basically like a radio show of any variety presented as an mp3 you can download and listen to at your leisure.

I like the idea... I'd be willing to contribute... unless I'm one of the crazy conservatives... I dunno how you people think of me. =)

You see, I thought there was video involved.

I also crank-start my car and access the internet via wireless telegraphy.

Synthesis on
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of Limed for Truth, why the heck is the first google search result for it this
    Limed for the Truth .... with celexacheap norvasc onlineingredients to oxycodonetruth about adderalloxycontin online pharmacymorphine medical useingredient ...

yet it links to what i believe is the correct site?

no freaking clue. check out the google cache of the site. freaky.

redx on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I have a mic, computer, webcam available, whitescreen and 10 suit jackets (they don't wear pants on the young turks)

Nobody wears pants on anything where they are allowed to sit behind a desk.

Having friends in the local news business is... enlightening...

Chanus on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to help as well, though I generally spend more time reading the politics threads than contributing. I'm probably better suited to performing something pre-written than actually holding a debate or discussion.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2009
    You see, I thought there was video involved.

I also crank-start my car and access the internet via wireless telegraphy.

There can be video involved... it's not against the rules or anything. In which case, it would be like an episode of a show you can watch in YouTube-type fashion.

Chanus on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No web cam, but mic works. Do we have to be dressed when we do this?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm interested in this as I am getting more involved in politics. I read a lot more than I give my opinion. I lack confidence compared to some of the people that post here, so I'm at least "in" to listen to it.

I hope to contribute as I get more confident and involved in current political affairs.

Buddies on
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to help as well, though I generally spend more time reading the politics threads than contributing. I'm probably better suited to performing something pre-written than actually holding a debate or discussion.

Well, we do need a moderator/host. But if enough people sign on, we'll probably round robin the host and panelists anyway.

wwtMask on
    edited October 2009

....I think you just answered your own question.

Synthesis on
    edited October 2009

anything worth doing, is worth doing in a suit.

Deebaser on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I might be interested in participating.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd definitely listen to this. I'd also like to help somehow, but my main PC is fucked and I don't have any experience in this kind of thing anyway.

One Thousand Cables on
  • SosSos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This has the ability to go horribly wrong, or awesome. I have some speculation to add.

I think the best way to take this thing is to have structure. Here are some questions that need pondering.

1) How often will this podcast come out?
    2) How long will each podcast be?
    3) What kind of information will this podcast cover?

Initially this is what I thought:
    1) Once a week. Best to do that to summarize and speak about the week events.
    2) In the range of 1-2 hours. Long enough to cover a lot of information, short enough to hold people's attention.
    3) If it is weekly ideally it would cover the week's events with some commentary. On top of that it would be cool if every month or two months it has a theme where it goes deep into one issue with a presentation of a public issue, ways to fix it, and a debate among viewpoints.

And another thing. Just throwing people in to speak on a podcast wouldn't be the best thing to do. It would be ideal if we had a host or someone with some good speaking skills to handle a majority of content with people coming in for commentary (who must also have decent speaking skills).

There also needs to be a division of what needs to be done. People who are good at writing, editting, producation or whatever. I'm not familiar with all steps of production of such a thing but if someone does have experience/knowledge of the subject I would like to hear a run down. I would help in the startup and the continuation of this.

Sos on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd love to be involved in this.

I also have a suggestion for a segment. You may want to consider doing something called "Devil's Advocate" in which we attempt to critically analyze a popular position on the podcast or the PA forums. Many of the other segments you threw out there have an abundance of focus on why everyone or everything is incorrect (e.g. LOLpubs/LOLdems). It may be beneficial from a self-reflexive standpoint to bring some of that snark to our own agenda.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Check me out, having input and all that:

Technical Stuffs!
    Pulling this up from my LP nonsense, there's a program for recording Skype calls, Call Graph. It allows you to record Skype calls, placing each person in the call in their own stereo channel. It apparently does have some desyncing issues, but I'm betting that can be solved with like Audacity or something in post-call editing. Edit - The program is free, ad supported, and you can pay to have ads removed. I've never used it myself, this is merely recommending based on a recommendation.

Participation!
    I would love to participate, not dedicated to every week (or whatever time table is setup), but perhaps as a guest. I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on the forum regarding politics, but I try to stay relatively informed and I'd like to think I can at least serve as "the Joe-shmoe who wants to understand things better."

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    I'll listen to it.
    Especially if That Guy With The Voice has a segment.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    BTW, MikeMan has a really good radio voice.

Just throwin' that out there.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited October 2009
    I've been told I have a good radio voice too, but like The Guy With The Voice mentioned earlier, I'm more of taker inner of the politics thread than a contributor.

Unless i'm making bad jokes.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've got some very high-quality audio engineering software and can deal with making things sound pretty and cutting out extraneous pauses.

Salvation122 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some segment ideas:

Politician of the Day - each panelist highlights a politician that's doing something they like
    Wonky Talk - complex issues are discussed like they're not black and white or simple

EDIT: I forgot [CITATION NEEDED] - highlighting politicians and pundits who are talking out of their asses.

Also, hopefully this is a bit easier to do than maintain a blog. I post all sorts of shit on the forums and talk about politics all the time but can't maintain a regular blog.

I wouldn't try to do segments every show, by the way, depending on the time table for this. If it's a weekly thing, I would hold back on the Citation Needed segment to at least being bi-weekly itself. It'll give it more beef that way, because sometimes people don't say new crazy shit more than once a week. And it'd be bad to repeat useless points made time and time again.

Politician of the Day (or week, again don't know your favored timetable here) is a great idea. It's the easiest way to talk about current events.

The LOLpublicans / LOLdems thing I would rename. It shouldn't specifically name either party, if only because it sounds... I dunno. I'm just suggesting aiming for something mutually offensive to both.

There should also be a general Network Fail sort of segment. No segments specifically based on any networks, just a segment for all and any recent shortcomings. It should actually be a media segment, because newspapers could fit in.

The last segment suggestion I have is one for blogs, because they are unfortunately all the rage and people need to learn that blogs can be wrong while also having good ideas.

I wouldn't go any higher than 4 or 5 segments (hark, the number I suggested!) or try to split hairs too much. It's not necessary, and let's face it - we're not creative enough to fill those needs.

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    The LOLpublicans / LOLdems thing I would rename. It shouldn't specifically name either party, if only because it sounds... I dunno. I'm just suggesting aiming for something mutually offensive to both.

LOLiticians?

Chanus on
    edited October 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

LOLiticians?

That would be more of the Politician of the Day/Week thing I mentioned (because someone can be so for something amazingly good or stupid).

Henroid on
    edited October 2009
    I'm thinking that the show will be something like 45 minutes. I can't really see anything longer than an hour. A daily schedule would be nice but not realistic unless there were so many people who wanted to participate that we could have five teams of 4 or 5 people doing a podcast a week. I'm not too concerned with the number of segments because I envision the show producer and writers picking from the list of segments for 2 or 3 they want to do each show. Which reminds me that we will definitely need writers. I don't like the idea of the host/moderator just winging it.

wwtMask on
    edited October 2009
    I'm thinking that the show will be something like 45 minutes. I can't really see anything longer than an hour. A daily schedule would be nice but not realistic unless there were so many people who wanted to participate that we could have five teams of 4 or 5 people doing a podcast a week. I'm not too concerned with the number of segments because I envision the show producer and writers picking from the list of segments for 2 or 3 they want to do each show. Which reminds me that we will definitely need writers. I don't like the idea of the host/moderator just winging it.

Well that's why you want to avoid daily stuff, at least for the beginning. Your content is only going to be based on what happens each day. But yeah, it'd be best to have someone in the morning or some such work it out with whomever else what should be discussed, put together a plan, and then go into the recording with that plan already distributed to everyone.

Henroid on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Some segment ideas:

Suggestion for topic-

PMs- wherein D and D public write in potential topics for disscussion to you guys, you pick some, discuss

Also this sounds awesome

Rent on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which reminds me that we will definitely need writers. I don't like the idea of the host/moderator just winging it.

Ooh, I could do that. I don't have a good voice (I stutter and talk way too fast), but I can provide a nice snarky/mocking/serious framework for discussion.

Captain Carrot on