As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forza Motorsport 3 [Game On]

rtsrts Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
forzaheader2.jpg

Come play Forza Motorsport 3 with us, add PAForza3 to your friends list.
ALSO Send me a PM when you do this, I haven't had anyone try to get on the list in 3 days so I am going to stop checking it every few hours.

Tag your storefront uploads with the word 'penarc' so we can easily search out your stuff!

Basic Information:

Forza Motorsport 3 is a racing simulator for the xbox 360. It came out on Oct. 23rd in Europe and Oct. 27th in North America. Boasting over 400 cars and 100 tracks, it is one of the largest and most in depth racing games to date. It offers one of the most versatile and customizable racing experiences available, and it offers many racing assists to help bring new players into the genre. A short demo is available on Xbox Live.

Some of the things you can do:

Race!
Forza Motorsport 3 includes a long career mode consisting of over 200 events, each with their own specifications and requirements for completion. Jump in, buy a car, and work your way up through the ranks as a racing driver to get to the top. Addictive gameplay and hundreds of cars to collect make it long lasting and well worth the investment.
FM3_V8supercars_8.jpg
FM3_V8Supercar_2.jpg?n=8761
FM3_Muscle_30.jpg

Take Photos!
Forza 3 offers a photo editor which allows you to stop and take a photo of your car just about anytime you want. Advanced tools and the ability to export these photos to the Forza Website have made this a popular feature of the franchise.
v65hcj.jpg
88eebd4d7c8ea0fdfb8090921a007a9a550d30ee.jpeg
Forza2.jpg
241jp6o.jpg
4048321248_d75cdcf21e_o.jpg
11r7trc.jpg99mil3.jpg34j9i05.jpg
2corcqq.jpgjjb49j.jpg29v09z7.jpg
2q3u3go.jpg
sqqbtk.jpg
DB5Positano1.jpgDB5Positano3.jpg
DB5Positano6.jpgDB5Positano7.jpg
DB5Positano4.jpg
x379sm.jpg

Upgrade and Tune!
Is your car lacking a little oomph? Not getting enough downforce? You can buy upgrades and customize your vehicle through the career mode shop. With tons of options for every car, when you are done your car is likely to be very unique. With your upgrades purchased, go into tuning and make the car sing. Save your tuning setups and load them based on what is in store for you in each race.

Paint Your Car!
Upgrades and tuning is great...but how do you really make your car standout from the pack? You can paint your car using the in game livery editor so when you take it online your car is completely unique. Want a self portrait of yourself on the car? Paint it. Want to emulate your favorite race livery? Paint it. The livery editor is a basic vector program which uses basic shapes to create complex images. A good artist can do amazing things.
car1.jpg
car2.jpg
epicmickey2.jpg
3sp54.jpg
2ihmlvn.jpg
JSRfinal.jpg
okamidenmobile.jpg
chunlimobile.jpg
1256371428614.jpg
ao28me.jpg
geometrywar.jpg

Take it Online!
With insane online multiplayer customization options Forza is one of the most fun racers to hit consoles in a long time. But that's not all. Each player can create their own storefront where they can sell tuning setups, cars, car liveries/designs, and vinyl groups to other players. Storefront not your thing? You can still sell your cars through the auction house if you prefer, just like Forza 2.

Other Information
There are two versions of Forza. In addition to everything in the Standard Edition the Limited Edition includes:

2.0GB USB Flash Drive
Keychain
10 extra cars
Premium Xbox Theme
VIP Membership to Forza

forzagames.jpg

Currently there are two wheels available for Forza 3. The Official Microsoft wheel, and a third party wheel by Fanatec. Both are solid wheels, though the Fanatec offers a clutch and an H-Pattern shifter.

forzawheels.jpg

Cockpit View -

Forza 3 now features cockpit view. And mspencer has some advice:

If you like the cockpit view but find it's too zoomed-in or zoomed-out for your liking, you can change the screen field of view. The setting to do this is hidden though:

Go into multiscreen setup.
Multiscreen: on
Mode: host
Channel: 0
View: center
Degrees hidden: 0.0
Degrees between screens: 90.0
None of the degrees-between-screens settings create a weird distorted perspective. The minimum setting just zooms in and shows you almost zero of the car's interior, and the maximum setting (my new favorite) shows you a ton of the interior, as if you have the driver's seat pushed way back, or as if you're sitting in the back seat leaning forward.

List of cars gifted to you by level. *Spoiler*
This is a real spoiler.
1) '10 Fiat 500 Abarth esseesse (E)

2) '09 Alfa Rameo Brera Ti (E)

3) '08 Volkswagen Scirocco GT (D)

4) '03 Renult Sport Clio V6S (D)

5) '09 Ford focus RS (C)

6) '04 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo (C)

7) '07 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 (B)

8) '08 Maserati GranTurismo (B)

9) '10 Chevrolet Camero SS (B)

10) '06 Lotus Exige Cup 240 (B)

11) '09 BMW M5 E60 (B)

12) '09 Lexus IS F (B)

13) '07 SEAT Leon Supercup (B)

14) '05 Honda NSX-R GT (B)

15) '09 Ferrari Caliofronia (B)

16) '09 Jaguar XKR-S (B)

17) '02 BMW M3-GTR (B)

18) '07 Peugeot 207 Super 2000 (A)

19) '08 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione (A)

20) '10 Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro (A)

21) '05 Ford Ford GT (A)

22) '09 Mercedes SL 65 AMG Black Series (A)

23) '05 TVR Sagris (A)

24) '08 Porsche 911 GT2 (997) (A)

25) '08 Lambrogini Reventon (S)

26) '02 Nissan Mines R34 Skyline GT-R (S)

27) '06 Ferrari 599 GTB Ferino (S)

28) '06 Lambrogini Miura Concept (S)

29) '08 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR (S)

30) '09 Bugatti Veryon 16.4 (S)

31) '09 Holden #2 Toll Holden Racing Team Commodre VE (R3)

32) '06 Ferrari # 62 Risi Competizione F430 GT (R3)

33) '08 Porsche # 45 Flying Lizard 911 GT3-RSR (R3)

34) '09 BMW #92 Rahal-Letterman-Racing M3 GT2 (R3)

35) '05 Ferrari FXX (R3)

36) '07 Chevrolet #4 Coprvette Racing C6.R (R2)

37) '08 Nissan #23 XANAVI Nismo GT-R (R2)

38) '06 Aston Martin #007 Aston Martin Racing DBR9 (R2)

39) '08 Toyota #6 ENEOS SC430 (R2)

40) '08 Konigsegg CCGT (R2)

41) '97 Mclaren # 43 Team BMW Motorsport McLaren F1 GTR (R2)

42) '05 Maserati #$15 GMB Racing MC12 (R2)

43) '98 Porsche #26 Porsche AG 911 GT1-98 (R2)

44) '03 Saleen #2 Konrad Motorsports S7R (R2)

45) '08 Porsche #7 Penski Racing RS Spyder EVO (R1)

46) '09 Mazda 16 Dyson racing B09\86 (R1)

47) '06 Audi #2 FSI Champion Racing R8 (R1)

48) '09 Acura #66 De ferran Motorsports ARX-02A (R1)\

49) '06 Audi #8 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R10 TDI (R1)

50) '09 Peugeot #9 Peugeot Spot Total 908 (R1)

AWD Information:
Get the AWD drivetrain swap. Also try reducing the front spring stiffness to about 440 lb/in and the rear stiffness to 390lb/in.

This, front wheel drive as a rule is really only viable to about 250hp/250ft-lbs. After that, as a rule, you have to move to AWD to keep a stable platform. Some cars like the new Focus RS can push beyond this in real life, but the suspension setups needed to make the car manageable are fairly exotic.

This is due to 2 primary reasons:

1. Torque steer. With a transverse mounted engine (which is what most fwd systems use), the drive shafts leading to the front wheels are uneven in length. This means that the wheels will tend to want spin at different rates, making the car want to go in a circle when under heavy acceleration. This can be corrected with a differential system, which is what most cars do. This is a very difficult thing to tune correctly, though, and even in modern cars there's occasionally some torque steer at high levels of torque. This can also be corrected with longitudinal mounted engine FWD systems, but this both limits the size of the engine and gets rid of most of the efficiency advantages of an fwd system. The main reason carmakers would use a longitudinal design is a forward mounted longitudinal engine is a very good platform for an awd version of a car, and in the cases that it is used the AWD version is usually the primary design and the fwd is a secondary, cheaper alternative for lower priced trim levels (Audi does this a lot).

2. Wheel lift-off. Weight shifts to the back of a car when accelerating. This is a problem for front wheel drive cars. First of all, it tends to greatly increase the likelihood of losing traction while accelerating. This makes it difficult to put power to effective use. In a rear wheel or all wheel drive car, when you accelerate quickly, the car shifts weight to the back, increasing the amount of traction you have on the rear wheels, and helping you maintain traction, thus letting you put more power down. With a front wheel drive car, the weight shifts to the back, and the front wheels come up. This means that you have less traction on the wheels that are providing the acceleration, giving you less effective power and increasing the likelihood of wheel spin.

Also, when turning, the inside wheels lose pressure on the ground, basically try to come up off the ground as the weight shifts to the outside of the car. In a rear wheel or all wheel drive car, this causes 2 effects: the first is that a loss in steering effeciency occurs at the front of the car. Rather than having 2 tires fully engaged to provide a change in direction, you only have 1. This makes the car harder to steer and thus turn slower. However, there's a counterbalancing effect going on at the rear wheels. There, the outside wheel is being pushed to the ground, while the inside wheel is lifting off of the ground (obviously it doesn't come off the ground completely in most cases, but the effect is the same). This means that the outside wheel is putting down more power than the inside wheel. For the same reason as why torque steer occurs this makes the car want to turn into the corner. The balance between effects 1 and 2 determines how much a car wants to understeer vs oversteer. Understeer being a complete loss of traction which means the car just keeps going in the same direction, oversteer being a situation where the car turns too fast and spins out. Basically, if you take a corner too fast and you end up hitting the wall head on, that's understeer. If you spin out and hit the wall with the back of the car, that's oversteer. Cars are most stable and turn best when neither understeer or oversteer dominate, this is called neutral or balanced handling.

Now, in a front wheel drive car, effect 1 happens as normal. However, when effect 2 happens, its not the outside rear wheel that takes up the slack but the outside front wheel. Because of the position of the outside front tire, oversteer isn't nearly as much of a factor (think of a lever where the axis of rotation is at the front, obviously a force towards the rear far away from the axis of rotation is going to cause more of a change in rotation than one at the front right next to it.) Also, a tire basically has a certain area with which it can interact with the road. In a hard cornering situation in a front wheel drive car, you have all the work of the car being done by one tire, rather than 2 in an all wheel or rear wheel car. This tends to cause the tire to lose traction more readilly. Both these factors together mean front wheel cars have little oversteer, and understeer dominates. This obviously becomes more of a problem the faster the car is going, and the more power it has (due to the combination of steering+acceleration being localized to only one wheel while cornering).

Putting an AWD system in the car will balance out the handling and make life much easier.

Putting Forza videos on Youtube:
Jazz wrote: »
To put your Forza 3 movies on YouTube

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5691ba02-e496-465a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&displaylang=en

That's the free Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft.

When you start it up, the New Session box pops up by default. Click "Convert a file", then OK. Select your input file (the .wmv you downloaded from forzamotorsport.net) and change the default output file if you wish - it defaults to the input file with "-1" tacked on the end of the filename. Hit Next. Make sure the option on the next screen is set to "File download (computer playback)". Hit Next again, then Finish. The output file will work with YouTube.

I recommend getting the 360 to output a 360p file rather than 720p, just to reduce the lengthy encoding time and ultimately the filesize. Since it's being encoded again and then being crunched by YouTube, there's little point shooting for the stars with HD video. Also remember forzamotorsport.net will remove your movie after 24 hours, so upload it and grab it.

Note: at the standard settings the Encoder will output a 720p file regardless of the input resolution. Don't worry, it's actually not very big filesize-wise. This saves messing with the aspect ratio, as it will then output a 16:9 file. If you drop the Encoder to 480p it'll spit out a squashed 4:3 file. Really, the Encoder can basically be left on its default settings and it'll work.

I've done all my Forza vids this way and will continue to do so. Output quality's remarkably good, actually. http://www.youtube.com/user/JazzMX5 (I recommend the Veyron cartwheel video ;-) )

Random Videos:
Mercedes SUV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQV3CE6brFA

Murcielago:
http://betav2.gamersyde.com/news_8014_en.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxu8j-ZRz54 [this one is a good watch, shows both rewinding and rollover near the end]
good vid and nice quality, shows a couple different cars and the third track we hadn't seen demoed before. Great draw distance on those mountains.
Also, shows the car rolling after a crash, although tbh it doesn't look that good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kBLkVAbnU
Another video, this time showing a SUV and you can get a glimpse of a few cars we hadn't seen before. Impressed they have so many cars available to choose from in the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie-L60FEOTY
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-forza-motorsport/50685?type=flv
http://gamersyde.com/news_7975_en.html
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211099/
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6211017/forza-motorsport-3-slick-black-car-multiple-views-on-track-gameplay-movie

more car-rolling, this time with a bit of cheating:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14345839/forza-3/videos/forza3_howtorollyourcar.html

Random Screenshots:
FM_CorvetteZR_1.jpg?n=4091
FM_Lambo_Reventon_7.jpg
FM_Ford_Mustang_1.jpg
FM3_Muscle_40.jpg
FM3_Muscle_20.jpg?n=3216
FM3_LandRover_RangeRover_2.jpg
FM3_Pontiac_G8GXP_1.jpg
FM3_Chrysler_300C_2.jpg
FM3_Honda_FitSport_1.jpg?n=1231
FM3_STI_1.jpg?n=1380
FM3_STI_2.jpg?n=8050
FM3_SuperGT_10.jpg?n=8050
FM3_Mitsubishi_EvoIXMR_1.jpg?n=8050
mf31.jpg
mf36.jpg
mf37.jpg
3597911968_64994621a0_o.jpg
mf38.jpg
mf39.jpg
mf3v.jpg
mf32.jpg
mf33.jpg
mf310.jpg
mf312.jpg
mf313.jpg
mf314.jpg
mf315.jpg
3597911968_64994621a0_o.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen001.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen004.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen002.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen008.jpg
948030_20090601_790screen010.jpg

Previous Thread.

rts on

• XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that JSRF design is by far my most favorite one so far:

JSRfinal.jpg

And I would describe the Fanatec wheel setup as well beyond "solid" given reviews on it if that's what you're also calling the 360 wheel. ;)

XiaNaphryz on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I am using the Fanatec wheel. I have to say I am definitely getting into it. The force feedback is really strong, it's super quiet...and even my complaints about the shifter before are starting to melt away. I have developed a much better feel for where the gears are and aside from the occasional and inexplicable times when the shifter is in one gear, and the game is in another...its great.

You know he has that JSRF design up for sale now right? You can go pick it up for 10k credits. I really like Modus' JSRF design though, I hope he sells it as well. I don't even know what JSRF is but I love these car designs.

rts on
    edited October 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Well I am using the Fanatec wheel. I have to say I am definitely getting into it. The force feedback is really strong, it's super quiet...and even my complaints about the shifter before are starting to melt away. I have developed a much better feel for where the gears are and aside from the occasional and inexplicable times when the shifter is in one gear, and the game is in another...its great.

You know he has that JSRF design up for sale now right? You can go pick it up for 10k credits. I really like Modus' JSRF design though, I hope he sells it as well. I don't even know what JSRF is but I love these car designs.

I just got Forza a few hours ago so I don't have enough credits yet. I'll get it eventually.

I hope my Fanatec wheel comes in before Thanksgiving!

XiaNaphryz on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I would like to announce that I was given no access to any "premium theme" with my LCE. If anything, I was given access to purchase and download a premium theme.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You may want to add to the OP:
    If you like the cockpit view but find it's too zoomed-in or zoomed-out for your liking, you can change the screen field of view. The setting to do this is hidden though:

None of the degrees-between-screens settings create a weird distorted perspective. The minimum setting just zooms in and shows you almost zero of the car's interior, and the maximum setting (my new favorite) shows you a ton of the interior, as if you have the driver's seat pushed way back, or as if you're sitting in the back seat leaning forward.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited October 2009
    Yeah Che commented on that somewhere. I think he said Thursday? I will see if I can find that.

mspencer - added.

rts on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah Che commented on that somewhere. I think he said Thursday? I will see if I can find that.

I saw a mention on the GAF thread, something about XBL servers not cooperating. Or something.

XiaNaphryz on
    edited October 2009
    From the official forums:
    Che wrote:
    10.26.09 – Users report problems downloading Forza 3 Limited Collectors Edition Theme.

We have learned that the Xbox LIVE marketplace code in the Forza Motorsport 3 Limited Collectors Edition (LCE) box isn't downloading the LCE theme like it should. We're aware of this issue and are working with relevant parties at Xbox LIVE to resolve the situation. Please check back here on 11.02.09 for an update on how you will receive your token code. We're sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused!

rts on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm loving the game. The new menu system is so much faster to navigate - always hated the menus in 2. It's hard getting the hang of the new tracks, but feels so good when one of your old favorites gets in the rotation (Maple Valley!).

Protip: don't race on the new NYC track like it's the old NYC track...

krylon666 on
    edited October 2009
    My store didn't have any VIP copies of the game, so I wish the game would let me buy the VIP cars. Whenever I try I briefly see the description of the item, and then I get
    Xbox LIVE Marketplace
    Can't retrieve information from Xbox LIVE.
    Please try again later.
    Status code: 80004005

I wish they'd fix that error. X__X

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yep

i spent 6 hrs trying to make rusted out bumblebee

and im not done yet D:

Joolander on
  • The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That also-rusted out VW Rabbit in the OP is looking quite nice, I'll have to make a replica of that for myself.

Also, the Dodge Ram is a beast to drive. It has a surprising amount of power, and it feels like you tower over your fellow racers. I'm hoping to turn it into a drifting machine, failing that, it may become my rolling machine.

The Listener on
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So is there no way to look for an individual storefront, like a search by gamertag option? It seems like it's all done through the search criteria. It would be neat if we could browse each others stores.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have developed a much better feel for where the gears are and aside from the occasional and inexplicable times when the shifter is in one gear, and the game is in another...its great.

This seems to be a known bug that I think they will fix. It happens with my MS wheel as well.

Orthoji on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First racing game I have ever played (I'm mostly an RPG guy) and I am loving it!

Is there any way to get a "rear view mirror" into the standard 3rd person view? I like that view because I can see more of the road ahead than other views, but I'd like to know if some AI guy is coming up behind me.

Afraid to take it online since I know I'll get toasted.

hamdingers on
    edited October 2009
    Orthoji wrote: »
    I have developed a much better feel for where the gears are and aside from the occasional and inexplicable times when the shifter is in one gear, and the game is in another...its great.

This seems to be a known bug that I think they will fix. It happens with my MS wheel as well.

How can it happen with your MS wheel? I think the wheel controls all look the same if you're currently in 1st gear or 6th gear. You only make control inputs when you want to go up one gear or down one. His shifter has a different position for each gear -- you could turn the game off, look at the shifter, and observe "you were last using third gear."

mspencer on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm up for some more multiplayer tonight if people are going to be on around the same time. I should be on from about 11pm GMT.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited October 2009
    Ooh ooh wait . . . if anyone has the six-speed-plus-reverse shifter with their Fanatec wheel . . . what happens if you're in an F-class car with no sixth gear, and you shift into sixth? Do you stay in neutral, or end up in fifth?

mspencer on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When are we getting that Top Gear challenge on?

Daedalus on
    edited October 2009
    If people are happy with the one I suggested in the previous thread I'd be happy to oversee it tonight once I get on. Any takers?

Reposted below, but pending some changes I have in mind.
    The Great American Budget Challenge
    Each competitor has 12,000CR to spend on a car of their choice, which must fit the following restrictions.

- The car must be bought new from the car store.
    - The car must be from an American manufacturer.
    - The car may be painted, tuned and upgraded in any way as long as its value does not exceed 12,000CR.

Three contests will follow.

Escaping from Tyranny Test
    Silverstone Circuit, England. The American cars will start with only a few seconds head start over a high-spec imperial oppression vehicle (Lotus Exige). The last car to be overtaken by this monarch-loving limeymobile will earn themselves three points.

The Saving Europe's Asses Test
    Le Mans is under attack from an axis of evil supercars. While the American cars try and complete two laps of this historic course Porsches, Audis, Ferraris and Lamborghinis will be travelling in the opposite direction, piloted by conscripted drivers. The first car to make it across the line earns three points, the second receives two and the third receives one.

A short break for banter.

The Bashing Japan Test
    The cars will line up on Laguna Seca as a well-engineered and efficient Toyota Yaris S glides away from them. After a ten second head-start the chase begins and the first car to hit the Yaris wins. Going around the track backwards is thoroughly forbidden. The winner receives three points.

The Turning Left Test
    The cars will race five laps of the Sedona Speedway Oval as the final contest. The winner receives five points, second place receives three and third receives one.

In case of any disputes the referee's decision is final and unquestionable. Noone said this would be fair. The tests would be simple enough to run but not sure if you can check the car value of other people's cars without gifting them to the "referee" and then back. Of course the honour system would be the ideal way of doing things.

SUPERSUGA on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sounds neat to me, although I don't think I'll be able to do it until tomorrow, come to think of it, because I need to hack and install my new hard drive. Dammit.

Daedalus on
  • OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mspencer wrote: »
    Orthoji wrote: »

How can it happen with your MS wheel? I think the wheel controls all look the same if you're currently in 1st gear or 6th gear. You only make control inputs when you want to go up one gear or down one. His shifter has a different position for each gear -- you could turn the game off, look at the shifter, and observe "you were last using third gear."

The bug is that game automatically shifts to one gear lower than you are driving in. It doesn't matter if you're using an H-Shifter, the MS wheel, or a controller. The only difference is that the H-Shifter will show the wrong position and the other two won't.

Orthoji on
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Picked up my reserved copy from Gamestop last night and they didn't have any of the codes for the free car. Have to call in today to see if the guy found one.

Finishes the first season and my only gripe was having to back out to the main menu to manually upgrade a car.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if you want to list 90 degrees in the OP as the recommended field of view. I think most people will think it feels like they're driving from the back seat of the car.

I've seen 62 recommended on a few other sites, as well as 70 degrees as someone in this forum recommended. I tried 70 off the bat and it looked great to me.

wonderpug on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hamdingers wrote: »
    First racing game I have ever played (I'm mostly an RPG guy) and I am loving it!

Is there any way to get a "rear view mirror" into the standard 3rd person view? I like that view because I can see more of the road ahead than other views, but I'd like to know if some AI guy is coming up behind me.

Afraid to take it online since I know I'll get toasted.

Nope, but press Y or right stick down and you can see behind you. The right stick lets you look in any direction.

Also, listen for cars coming up behind you. When you're watching the road ahead, that's often your first warning they're there.

Jazz on
  • smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I don't know if you want to list 90 degrees in the OP as the recommended field of view. I think most people will think it feels like they're driving from the back seat of the car.

I've seen 62 recommended on a few other sites, as well as 70 degrees as someone in this forum recommended. I tried 70 off the bat and it looked great to me.

Yeah I use 70 degrees. I tried 62 but it still felt a little close in some cars (e.g. I couldn't see my mirrors in the Brera still.

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I picked up my LCE last night and played through maybe 8 or 10 races. I'm really enjoying it. I'm a little bummed about one of the gift cars for reaching a new level, 'cause it's essentially my car with a different skin, and now I feel like I shouldn't waste my credits actually buying my car to race right now... But I did buy a 135i as my first RWD car, and it's been really fun so far.

oh yeah, btw, a couple pictures I took at the track I was at this past weekend for the 24 Hours of LeMons race:

Porsche GT3 Cup Car:
    4049442269_bd84bb17ef_b.jpg
    Ford GT40:
    4050240778_452bddaf59_b.jpg
    My friends' Michael Jackson Tribute '97 Miata:
    4050193478_77aa806fe6_b.jpg
    They're a bunch of Audi guys, so that's why there's a makeshift Audi logo on the front...

And yes, the dummy riding shotgun is MJ complete with facemask and dangling baby out the side of the car...

way late edit:
    crap guys, I didn't realize how huge my photos were... spoiler'd.

jimb213 on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I added PAForza 3 as a friend. Is there a button I hit to see the friends of that person/tag? I didn't notice it when looking yesterday. Man Live and that dashboard has changed a lot.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nice pictures.. what kind of lens you got? Can a mortal afford it?

Buddy and I that went to MotoGP in August left the weekend completely disappointed with our pictures, because we had poopy lenses.

xzzy on
    edited October 2009
    So I added PAForza 3 as a friend. Is there a button I hit to see the friends of that person/tag? I didn't notice it when looking yesterday. Man Live and that dashboard has changed a lot.
    I only ever do it from the blades menu you get by pressing the menu button in game, but there you click on PAForza in your friends list and then press right to go to their profile. On there there's a button that lets you look at their friends list, which will have us on it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

Buddy and I that went to MotoGP in August left the weekend completely disappointed with our pictures, because we had poopy lenses.

Look up walkthroughs on how to simulate lomography on digital photos and you'll get looks similar to those first two shots.

wonderpug on
    edited October 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

Thanks! for the fancy car pics, I used a Canon 7D with an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS lens, which is quite pricey, but not quite into L-glass territory. The race pic was probably with my 75-300mm telephoto lens, which is fairly affordable as far as lenses go, maybe 300 bucks. But really most of the magic in the pics are from the public beta of Adobe Lightroom 3. It's like a pro version of iPhoto mixed with photoshop without all the extra stuff you don't need for retouching/developing photographs. The Porsche photo in particular started out very flat and boring (which is actually a good thing! flat photos have more detail/data across the light spectrum, giving you more latitude to shape things later). When I take photos, composition, focus, and proper exposure are my primary concerns. I can make the color, saturation, sharpness, etc do whatever I want in post.

jimb213 on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nice, I finally got my DSLR this year (Nikon D90) and I've been really enjoying it. Lightroom has been a great tool for putting some final touches on the RAW images - and I love that it just tracks the changes you make, but doesn't make you save over the original. What's your Flickr page jimb (if you don't mind sharing)? You can check out my flickr page here. Most of my recent stuff is in the Macro Photography/My Photography collections.

Played a nice amount last night. Bought my Rabbit GTI as soon as I could - and was bummed to see how underpowered they made it. F100 w/ 90hp? I'm pretty sure it had a little more pep then that - but I could be wrong. I never owned a Mk1, only Mk2's. I didn't think I'd like cockpit view, but now that's all I really want to race. I still need to fix the FOV so I can see the mirrors more consistently though.

I want to do some multiplayer soon, but like most people I'm still building up my garage. What classes are you guys interested in racing in mp? I like having a few cars setup for a certain PI.

krylon666 on
    edited October 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Nice, I finally got my DSLR this year (Nikon D90) and I've been really enjoying it. Lightroom has been a great tool for putting some final touches on the RAW images - and I love that it just tracks the changes you make, but doesn't make you save over the original. What's your Flickr page jimb (if you don't mind sharing)? You can check out my flickr page here. Most of my recent stuff is in the Macro Photography/My Photography collections.

Played a nice amount last night. Bought my Rabbit GTI as soon as I could - and was bummed to see how underpowered they made it. F100 w/ 90hp? I'm pretty sure it had a little more pep then that - but I could be wrong. I never owned a Mk1, only Mk2's. I didn't think I'd like cockpit view, but now that's all I really want to race. I still need to fix the FOV so I can see the mirrors more consistently though.

I want to do some multiplayer soon, but like most people I'm still building up my garage. What classes are you guys interested in racing in mp? I like having a few cars setup for a certain PI.

My Flickr page. Most of my photos I don't do all the post processing to; just the ones I think can come out extra special. I shot all the guatemala pictures with my friend's D90. That's a great camera. I'm primarily a video guy, though, so the 7D is more suited for my needs (plus I already had a few nice Canon lenses).

And yeah, I wanted to buy the MkV GTI (my real-life car) but with the VW prize car early on, I feel like that would be redundant right now, with my still not quite ample credit supply...

jimb213 on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    I would like to announce that I was given no access to any "premium theme" with my LCE. If anything, I was given access to purchase and download a premium theme.

Yep, same here. That's pretty weak stuff.

edit - i see it's being fixed.

The game is very good so far. I haven't played it much, but what I have done has been fun. I took a Veyron onto Le Sarthe with the old style Mulsanne, that was great. I hit around 245mph before I had to brake.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I only ever do it from the blades menu you get by pressing the menu button in game, but there you click on PAForza in your friends list and then press right to go to their profile. On there there's a button that lets you look at their friends list, which will have us on it.

Thanks

Zombie Nirvana on
  • StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Check this out, I took me a photomagraph. I understand the compression gripes entirely now, because I had to tweak the contrast a bit and cut the size in half to make it look decent, but hopefully you can still get the gist. I created my own little branded workshop ("Double 7 Speedworks", the logo of which is visible just beneath the wing mirror, though I could swear it resembles an already-existing logo for something I can't put my finger on) and I plan on doing these goofy custom paint jobs for all the cars I actually go out and buy. I tried to make this one look more or less in keeping with the kind of style you might see in 1984.

2qkneqt.jpg

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nice OP, much better than my last! But it was from E3...

I can't keep up with Borderlands (PC) out this week, Forza 3, and then Torchlight

So just yesterday alone I got 30/50 achievements for 300/1000 points. Made it to Level 10, lots of fun.

Hawk on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    my first video is now up!
    Taken from the first Arcadian All Truck Invitational last night

This is what happens when you try a little rubbing before a corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWLQjfs_j14

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

wonderpug wrote: »

oh shit this is so awesome! I felt way too cramped in cockpit view last night, will be trying this as soon as i get home after work... in... 6 hours

:(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png